• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress Plause

Sage Noctowl

Because Awesome-me = 2 times the awesome
This is my first attempt at an online fic. This is non-Pokémon, so if that was what you were expecting, sorry. It is a Science Fiction + Fantasy, as I normally write, and has been revised a couple of times from the story I started writing three years ago.
Note: this story uses many symbols that some internet doesn't like, so if you get the boxes or separation, I'm sorry, but that eth was too interesting not to use it.

Chapter I: Faquenia

It was to be an ordinary day on the planet of Aquænus. Looking down from the huge expanse of clouds over the quaint town of Kellerína, one could see deep blue water all around. On a normal day, by squinting his eyes, one may be able to see the shoreline, no more than a gull’s flight away. However, this was not true at this moment, for darkness had fallen over the land only eight hours earlier.

This was soon to change. The clouds to the east soon took on an orange hue, while light began to flood across the sky. Too slowly to notice it moment by moment, but quickly enough to notice the effect, an orange and yellow orb hung over the shore to the east. Steadily, it began to creep across the sky, bringing color and light into the landscape. The nocturnal beasts of the land retired back into their lairs, while the diurnal songbirds came out of their hiding places and began their morning lament. ¬

A fish jumped. It then swam back down into the sea. Under the sea, it avoided the large bubble taking up much of the area near the seashore. Inside of the bubble was the heart of Kellerína, with the residential homes of the race of semi-amphibious humanoids, who call themselves the Hydromagians. Inside one of the residential, Faquenia was slowly waking up. She was a young adolescent of around thirty-seven Aquænean years, and would be almost indistinguishable from an average Hydro, except for her more pointed features, indicating that she was of the elite class of the Hydros. The council selected her for her extraordinary swimming ability. However, the one thing that she was interested about was the æther above. She wanted to know, to know what is up there, how everything stayed up there, and if there was something else, wondering the same thing about her. What she wanted to know most of all is why the people shunned her for this. It was almost unheard of for people to look down upon a Hydræðius, but this was clearly not the case.

Faquenia grumbled as she became fully conscious, and got out of her sleeping quarters. From there, she got into her hunting clothes. She then walked out of her house, and proceeded east. Going through the town, she saw people watch her as she went by. She was used to this, as it happened almost every day. Hurrying past the people, she ran to the door not very far away. She opened it. After walking into the portal between the two nearly separate worlds, she closed the door behind her. Finally, after putting in her verification, she drew in a big gulp of air. There was a door in front of her, which she opened. Instantly, water poured into the room. She then swam forward, out of the portal, hoping to catch breakfast and make it to the meeting in one breath. She then looked around her. She saw a sparkling sapphire-colored liquid all around her, that would be breathtaking if she had not seen it a million times before. Nevertheless, the wondrous beauty around her was still awe-inspiring. She could not help but think that above the land, there was the same thing: a black, sparkling æther that stretched on forever. In the water, she had finally sighted her prey, a large, gray fish with large teeth that many collected and treasured. It was about three times as long as she was. It was the same type of fish that she used for her initiation ceremony.

A little girl, around the age of ten, walked out of the protective dome of the residential city. As she left, she heard the gate open in front of her, and held her breath as air began to fill the portal room. To join the group of elites that her parents knew that she was able to, she would have to pass the ceremonial test. Armed with no weapons, she must find a fish to kill, the stronger the fish, the higher the likelihood of making it in. She had one in mind: the fish, known by her kind as the greater Gryplo Shark. This animal was a grey shark, the king of the sea. It spanned to more than five meters long. From the corner of her eye, she noticed its erratic movements and went over to catch it. She saw that it was the largest version. Approaching it from the back, as it was moving into the current, meaning that it could not catch her scent, she silently stalked her prey. Each stroke she swam brought her that much closer to the giant. Two meters away. One meter away. She could now almost grab its tail to get at it. Confidently, she took a swing at its tail, and latched on. Like a bull, it jerked, and moved side to side. She hung on with all of her might. Finally, after what seemed like an hour, it stopped struggling. The girl started to hit the shark, which started bleeding. In a fit of adrenaline and rage, the shark turned around and began to attack her. She yelped in pain as its large jaws sunk through her suit into her skin. Water began to seep into her lungs as everything around her began to fade. She heard a yell behind her, and the last thing she saw was a spear above her in the direction of the fish.

As she moved toward the shark, Faquenia pulled out her spear, determined to catch the Gryplo before her meeting. As she approached it, it began to turn around.

She is swimming. However, instead of water, she is swimming through a black substance, dotted with light. Light. Light has entered her dream, tearing it apart piece by piece, and dragging her back to the harsh, cruel reality. Pain shoots through her leg. She cannot move. All she can feel is her chest, rising, falling, rising, falling. Her heart: Thump- thump Thump- thump. Her eyes snap open. Everything is blurry; it then slides into focus. She is in a building, and there are lights above her, the source of the permeating light. To her left is a shelf with equipment, and she is currently on a bed. Realizing that she is in a hospital, she begins to panic. A doctor comes in.

“I see that you are feeling better. After the Gryplo Shark bit you, we feared for the worst. However, you present a hardiness that even a warrior would be hard-pressed to find.”

Faquenia tried to respond to that, but she realized that the pain in her leg seared whenever she moved. So she just moaned.

“The pain should be gone in a week. I suggest that you get some sleep.”

The light above her disappeared. She let it fade from her mind, and bring back the other world, void of pain and suffering…

As she raised her spear, ready to strike, she heard a small conscience whisper stop. Backing up, she watched as the shark began to glow white.

As she was swimming through the sky, another person approached her. As he came closer, she motioned to say hello. Suddenly, however, he turned into an Gryplo Shark and began to attack her. She swam away as quickly as she could, but it ran in hot pursuit. It then started glowing, and she then used that moment to escape. Her consciousness tore through the dimensions, searching for her body. Everything began to fade, but not before she caught a glimpse of a different, archaic-looking creature.

The glowing mass in front of her began to shimmer, as if a mirage. The faint particles in front of her faded, and the glow subsided. Standing in front of her would have been the most impressive creature she had ever seen, had she not have seen it once before.

Light again filtered into her eyes. Only, this light was yellower than the clean, white light of the hospital. She was sitting upright. In front of her was a very impressive person, looking wise and strong. Some of him was tattered, due to wars with the neighboring tribes. This was the persona of a master. The only master she knew like this was that of master Moquier, the leader of the Hydræðius that could only mean one thing. It was time for her to learn how she did on the test that she was certain that she failed. She began to tremble as he walked towards her. She then remembered her leg, which was odd, because she didn’t feel anymore pain. She shook it, and still felt nothing. Gingerly, she got to her feet. Taking a few steps around and sitting back down, she found that she was healed. She looked up at the master, and he ushered her into a back room. Calmly, she followed him through a door.

“Congratulations,” he whispered, “you have passed.”

“How?” inquired the girl, “I injured myself badly.”

“It takes a skilled warrior to face danger that large and almost prevail.”

The creature towered above her, many times bigger than the shark. Its long neck and smooth back accompanied the blue-gray colored skin. Its flippers were around the size of her. It pointed its sparkling blue eye in her direction. Powerfully, it swept the water behind it, and swam towards Faquenia. Paralyzed in fear and awe, she just stared at it as it came closer. She decided to swim away, but to no avail, it was already on top of her. Suddenly, everything faded.

Last edited:
I don't have the time to read through this thoroughly at the moment, but let me give you a bit of advice--you can't delineate paragraphs using the tab key, as I'm guessing you've done, if you're going to post online. The tab character generally isn't recognized online, and as a result your paragraphs will all be flush to the left and turn into a hard-to-read block. Stories meant to be posted on something like a forum should have visual space separating the paragraphs instead, usually achieved by hitting the enter key twice after each one. It makes it much easier to read.

Also, out of curiosity, why are you calling the shark an "ichthyoshark"? That's almost like saying "birdeagle" or "mammalmonkey", isn't it? It seems like a silly thing to put in front of the name, cool as it may sound. Perhaps you gave an explanation somewhere in there that I missed because I was skimming, but yeah.

Back
Top Bottom