• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Freedom of religion does not apply to Atheists?

Wargle

Dirty minds think alike~
I am an Atheist. I do not believe in any God/deity. This does not mean I think any less of any of you who are theistic(Have a religion). I have many friends of many religions and I do not havea problem with them.

When they tell me about their religion, I listen, but do not think much about it. I have not told them I am atheist. But now that I have revealed to them my religion, or lack there of, I have had many arguments over religion.

I am told many a time that because I do not believe in God, I automatically support the devil and to 'go get saved'. I do not think this is a fair treatment, and when I counter them with right number 2, Freedom of Religion, they tell me 'That doesn't apply to you because you gave up that right by being an Athiest.'

This thread is not to whine or complain, but to start a debate on whether Atheists like me really diserve treatment like this.

Last edited:
you diserve bad treatment for not using a spellcheck

and atheism isn't a religion, but you have freedom of non-religion too ; authorities are not likely to support atheist cause in the US though (assuming you're from there)

I am told many a time that because I do not believe in God, I automatically support the devil and to 'go get saved'. I do not think this is a fair treatment, and when I counter them with right number 2, Freedom of Religion, they tell me 'That doesn't apply to you because you gave up that right by being an Athiest.'

This thread is not to whine or complain, but to start a debate on whether Atheists like myself really diserve treatment like this.

Freedom of speech also means that religious people are allowed to tell you that. You can tell them that they're fucking insane for believing in God and consistently insult every religious thing they do if you want, there's nothing to stop you. :/

Freedom of speech also means that religious people are allowed to tell you that. You can tell them that they're fucking insane for believing in God and consistently insult every religious thing they do if you want, there's nothing to stop you. :/

But in that since, doesn't that in a way violate Freedom of Religion (Or non-religion)

But in that since, doesn't that in a way violate Freedom of Religion (Or non-religion)

... only that's not quite what freedom of religion (under the Constitution, anyway) means. It only means that under US law all religions are equal and Congress can't do anything biased toward or against religion.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Never mind the fact that we've got "under God" in the pledge, never mind the fact that "in God we trust" is on our money. Those are just your typical American loopholes.

There actually is a law in like Pennsylvania or something that says an atheist can't run for public office. Not that it's enforced or anything, though.

... only that's not quite what freedom of religion (under the Constitution, anyway) means. It only means that under US law all religions are equal and Congress can't do anything biased toward or against religion.

never mind that nobody really notices that and people continue to rune for offices based on religious ideals and such.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

so in theory, we can get together in the parking lot of a church to demonstrate why gods suck? cool. well, I would participate in that if someone else organized it.

Never mind the fact that we've got "under God" in the pledge, never mind the fact that "in God we trust" is on our money. Those are just your typical American loopholes.

hm, I wrote a revision of the pldge that took these things into account and lots more.

something like this:

self said:
I pledge allegiance to the flag of One of the Badly-United States of North America, and to the republic for which it kind of just sags on the pole, what seems to be fifty-one nations in an arrangement not dissimilar to the Holy Roman Empire, paying lip service to some god much of its population doesn't even care that much about, divided to many times to count, with liberty and justice to people who can get themselves a good lawyer.

I was a younger then, wasting time in a history class.

There actually is a law in like Pennsylvania or something that says an atheist can't run for public office. Not that it's enforced or anything, though.

1. Move to Pennsylvania.
2. Get a PA driver's license or something.
3. Sue the state.
4. ???
5. LACK OF PROFIT

never mind that nobody really notices that and people continue to rune for offices based on religious ideals and such.

Indeed. America is incredibly hypocritical.

so in theory, we can get together in the parking lot of a church to demonstrate why gods suck? cool. well, I would participate in that if someone else organized it.

Yeah, as long as it wasn't a violent protest. 8D (totally in)

Isn't my state just that wonderful?

That gives something to rant about on Moodle and have everyone in history hate me for it~~

There actually is a law in like Pennsylvania or something that says an atheist can't run for public office.

I think it's Maryland, actually, but don't hold me to that.

But yes, the vast majority of Americans seem to lack an understanding of concepts like freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and human rights in general (no, the fact that you're in the majority doesn't mean you can take others' rights away!). Hey, guys, guess how many openly atheist Congress members there are? One! Out of 535!

Hey, guys, guess how many openly atheist Congress members there are? One! Out of 535!

@_@

I always roll my eyes when I see threads like these, but... I'm really surprised at that. I think I'm just too used to living in a pretty secular country where Christianity is a small minority and most religious people prefer to keep it to themselves because they know damn well that someone will throw science in their face.

Wow, USA. You do suck a bit. :/

does not answer to 'athiest'

if he doesn't believe in god, he's an atheist, and who cares what he labels himself as in order to win elections

eta: but yes, there is a lot of research that shows atheists as the most mistrusted minority (of the ones polled, obviously, though clearly all communists are atheists so I imagine those two would be about the same). Newsweek did a survey that got quite a lot of attention; a majority of americans would vote for an otherwise-qualified candidate for president from every minority save atheists

if he doesn't believe in god, he's an atheist, and who cares what he labels himself as in order to win elections

it's all one big popularity contest , isn't it? :\

eta: but yes, there is a lot of research that shows atheists as the most mistrusted minority (of the ones polled, obviously, though clearly all communists are atheists so I imagine those two would be about the same). Newsweek did a survey that got quite a lot of attention; a majority of americans would vote for an otherwise-qualified candidate for president from every minority save atheists

communist is not necessarily atheist, er? sarcasm, I'm guessing?

though yes, americans do have weird prejudices based.

this seems to be turning into another us vs world thread.

@_@

I always roll my eyes when I see threads like these, but... I'm really surprised at that. I think I'm just too used to living in a pretty secular country where Christianity is a small minority and most religious people prefer to keep it to themselves because they know damn well that someone will throw science in their face.

Wow, USA. You do suck a bit. :/

Christianity is not exactly a small minority in England, either - but it's not a majority iirc

This is kind of baffling to me. Fun fact: 15% of the country is non-religious, you'd think our opinions would be a little more respected in mainstream politics. By contrast, 12% of the country is black, and all the politicians are strongly dedicated to getting the african-american population on their side.

Back
Top Bottom