• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

G/S/C Internal Battery Dead?

Pikachu

Kelp is good! Yum yum!
Pronoun
he
Okay, I have a copy of Crystal that works (obviously). Now, the game will save but after three hours or so, the save file is gone. Actually I think, after three hours or so, the save file becomes corrupt. Either way, it works within an hour, then it becomes corrupt. Is it that the internal battery is dead or has the cartridge crapped itself? I don't want to buy the battery and then it ends up that it doesn't work.

Thanks for the help, I want to play this game again.

Last edited:
That happened to me before with a copy of Silver that I bought. Now, there's a very complicated procedure that you can do for getting the game back to normal, but I think your best bet would be to buy a different copy or get a rom of the game.

...but I think your best bet would be to buy a different copy...

as I understand it, pretty much all of the G/S/C cartridges have had their internal battery die by now, because that's about as long as the batteries last.

Well, I went ahead and replaced the battery (CR2032) and now it works. Thanks for the help, though.

But, on-topic, I thought some G/S/C cartridges still worked? Mine do. X.x

Same here.

It's amazing how long cartridges last. My Nintendo 64 ones still work. I have some NES ones that are around 20 years old and they work swell (they're only supposed to last 5 years).

I doubt anyone's going to be saying that about CDs. :(

Same here.

It's amazing how long cartridges last. My Nintendo 64 ones still work. I have some NES ones that are around 20 years old and they work swell (they're only supposed to last 5 years).

I doubt anyone's going to be saying that about CDs. :(

Same about me. My NES games all work as good as day one. Silver works, but Gold doesn't. Red, Blue, and Yellow all work.

I think the lifespan of a game's back-up battery is directly related to how large the stored code is for the game in question. NES games will liekly last longer than N64 games because there's a lot less stored info for the chip to cycle. Of course, the same could be said with the efficiency of the circuits, too. But yeah, all back-up batteries I've seen in games are CR2032 button cells. Easy to replace.

How much did the new battery cost you? I've been having the same problem.

They're relatively cheap... $1-$2. Some places may have them for a little higher price. But still pretty cheap.

Can you still buy the old G/S/C games?
I never got a chance to buy them, but since I have SS I want to compare it.​

Can you still buy the old G/S/C games?
I never got a chance to buy them, but since I have SS I want to compare it.​

I think they sell them on Amazon and Ebay only now.I've asked people at gamestops but they dont sell them.(But how do we know for sure,half the people there dont even know what they're doing)I would recommened Amazon(where I got mine at) and it saves and I think its an older one(it says 2000 Nintendo on the little circuit thing you can see under the clear cover.)

Back
Top Bottom