• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pirate Ordered to Pay Nintendo $1.5 Million

That's kind of scary, I'm not going lie. 1.5 million dollars is a serious overreaction. Do they really expect one man to come up with 1.5 million dollars? Some corporations just make me sick. Fine him, sure, but just don't make it a ridiculous amount.

Whether the guy actually cost Nintendo $1.5 million in games people pirated instead of purchased, I agree it's really too much to fine one guy for that much. His family will probably be in debt for years after he's gone.

So you'd be cool if you were in debt to Nintendo for the rest of your life, and your family too after you were dead, because you pirated one game that actually has sold really well?

Pirating is illegal and should be punished, sure, but I don't think it's right to just screw someone over like that and fine them something they'll probably never be able to pay. I highly doubt his pirating had a direct negative effect on the life of any of the guys over at Nintendo in the same way that Nintendo's response has to his.

They didn't just pirate it, they were distributing it also. It would've taken 26,000 downloads (not unreasonable) to amount to the amount he was sued for.

Because Nintendo's lost so much money, they'll go out of business if this guy doesn't pay them, right? I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't nearly make as much money from NSMBWii as they lost, right?

Sure he's responsible for distributing it, but then all those other groups out there distributing games are just as much at fault. For just one person, that's really silly.

I think the point of the massive fine isn't because the guy they caught cost them that amount, but because saying (and going through with!) "we'll sue you for one and a half million if you pirate our games" is a deterrant for others who do/are thinking of doing the same.

I think the point of the massive fine isn't because the guy they caught cost them that amount, but because saying (and going through with!) "we'll sue you for one and a half million if you pirate our games" is a deterrant for others who do/are thinking of doing the same.

Well it ain't like it's gonna stop pirates :|

This makes me sad. That's just disproportionate punishment, right there.

They didn't just pirate it, they were distributing it also. It would've taken 26,000 downloads (not unreasonable) to amount to the amount he was sued for.
That statement assumes one pirate download is equal to one lost sale. But chances are, if you couldn't pirate it, those people wouldn't buy it anyway. Which just makes the entire situation even worse.

In another article on kotaku, it said he didn't actually have to pay that much. But I still think that the fine shouldn't be on only the uploader.

That statement assumes one pirate download is equal to one lost sale. But chances are, if you couldn't pirate it, those people wouldn't buy it anyway. Which just makes the entire situation even worse.

Indeed. There is no way to prove that anyone who downloaded that game would have bought it otherwise. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Indeed. There is no way to prove that anyone who downloaded that game would have bought it otherwise. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

And who's to say they didn't buy it anyway? It's legal to have one backed up copy of a game so long as you own one copy =/

Back
Top Bottom