• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nintendo 3DS

No more gimmicky ways to make money off of new versions of the DS folks (I'm looking at you, DSXL D:<) - this is the real deal. The Nintendo 3DS is actually the successor to the DS, like the DS was to the GBA.

Quote from Serebii:
Normally, I do not post about new consoles such as this, but as it may inevitably involve the Pokémon games, I figure I may as well update about it. The official Japanese Nintendo site has included a PDF detailling the release of a new handheld called the Nintendo 3DS. This console is set to succeed the DS and DSi and includes backwards compatibility for those systems. Nintendo states that the Nintendo 3DS is to be able to display 3D images without the need for the 3D glasses that you see in cinemas for 3D films. Nintendo is set to reveal further details in E3 in June and the handheld is set to be released within the fiscal year starting next week and ending this time next year. We'll bring more on this as it comes
Links:
Google Translate of the Site
The site in Japanese
Serebii
Yahoo article

Last edited:
A new DS... that's advertised as being focused on 3D games. Makes me wonder if Nintendo wants me to stop buying their stuff...

Hopefully some people will still make 2D games (just like some people still made non-touchscreen-controlled games for the original DS), or someone finds a way to magically make non-horrible 3D on this thing (unlike the vast majority of 3D DS games. or the vast majority of 3D games period on any system before the Gamecube/PS2/XBox.)

Either way, I really hope "3DS" isn't the final name for this, because the last thing we need is a system that encourages companies to make more 3D games.

Nintendo states that the Nintendo 3DS is to be able to display 3D images without the need for the 3D glasses that you see in cinemas for 3D films.

I wonder what makes this different from any other console with 3D graphics? Are they going to have stuff jumping off the screen at you or what? I'd imagine that'd be hard to do without the glasses, on a handheld system at least.

Eh. They'll have to reveal more to get me terribly interested.

A new DS... that's advertised as being focused on 3D games. Makes me wonder if Nintendo wants me to stop buying their stuff...

Hopefully some people will still make 2D games (just like some people still made non-touchscreen-controlled games for the original DS), or someone finds a way to magically make non-horrible 3D on this thing (unlike the vast majority of 3D DS games. or the vast majority of 3D games period on any system before the Gamecube/PS2/XBox.)

Either way, I really hope "3DS" isn't the final name for this, because the last thing we need is a system that encourages companies to make more 3D games.

I think you might have misunderstood '3D'. It doesn't mean the ordinary three-dimensional-on-a-two-dimensional-screen graphics you get in most games nowadays, it means the sort of 3-D you get in films where objects appear to be moving within and outside the screen.

Sounds... interesting. I doubt I'll ever get one until it's hideously out of date, but oh well.

Here is a neat article on yahoo about it, as well. It has a video of something similar on the regular DS.

I think it overall looks kind of cool. It would be neat to see some Pokemon games in 3D like that.

Well, as I'm likely going to dislike the fifth/sixth/whatever generation they're on by the time this come out, I probably won't get it.

But it looks kinda cool. I just have low expectations for it being any good.

You guys have little faith in Nintendo. Just as everyone does whenever they reveal a new "gimmick".

Meh. I saw a vid of a DSiWare game that shows how they might do it(click to watch and read about it), and it actually was kinda impressive. It isn't exactly jumping out at you(which I hate and is a stupid gimmick in of itself), but more along the lines of "the in game camera moves with the actual DSi Camera that is detecting your point of view with the game." It looks really neat.

Sounds like a neat idea, but the concept does have shades of Virtual Boy. Here's hoping however the hell they make this work doesn't create severe eye damage and motion sickness.

Sounds like a neat idea, but the concept does have shades of Virtual Boy. Here's hoping however the hell they make this work doesn't create severe eye damage and motion sickness.

...Did you even watch the vid I posted? It's nothing like the Virtual Boy at all, and it'll most likely be what Nintendo does, cept with better graphics and cameras, of course.

You guys have little faith in Nintendo. Just as everyone does whenever they reveal a new "gimmick".

It's kinda hard not to be cynical about this kinda stuff considering how just about any gimmick, 90% of the time ends of failing. I, and I'm sure many other people as well, don't want another Virtual Boy.

But this works nothing like the Virtual Boy. I can't see how this could possibly fail.

GC graphics...the illusion of 3D that doesn't pop out at you or requires glasses...with the already great DS hardware. Tell me again where the problem exists? Granted, this is all just speculation from small leaks and what Nintendo has done recently and in the past, but I digress.

I'm fine so long as it's not gimmicky 3-D (OMG GAIZ U CAN SEE MARIO'S FIYABALL COME RITE AT U) and more just... you know, parallax scrolling sort of stuff.

No matter how great it may seem, I'll probably wait until there's a game I really want to get for it before I actually buy it. That way, if the system ends up flopping for some reason, I'll have waited and not wasted my money on it. I don't really see a problem with it though, considering, like others said, it is with the DS' hardware and there are no glasses or anything required.

...Did you even watch the vid I posted? It's nothing like the Virtual Boy at all, and it'll most likely be what Nintendo does, cept with better graphics and cameras, of course.

I'll admit, I didn't. *goes to watch*

Okay, I saw it. Well, that does indeed look neat, but I still have a few concerns.

1. The 3D for the 3DS is going to be the kind that jumps out at you. They're using a similar technology to the monitors and TVs that do the same thing.

2. As someone who suffers severe motion sickness with certain games, I'm worried about how much this will make me and others with this ailment sick. Also, eye strain. Basically, the same concerns with the Virtual Boy

3. How exactly are companies going to use this technology beyond gimmicks? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd really like to know this. I mean, even with the DS, there are tons of games that don't even use the touch screen. How are they going to implement full-on 3D?

4. As of right now, this technology is very, very expensive and obscure. Is this thing going to be priced through the roof? I just bought a DSi, I really can't afford to blow a ton of money on a ludicrously-priced handheld, especially since it's so risky.

But hey, if I want any video game company taking crazy risks and innovations, I want it to be Nintendo. Let's hope they find a way to get around these obstacles and make this thing awesome.

Oh, and games that actually use this technology will be nigh impossible to emulate, but whatev.

Last edited:
4. As of right now, this technology is very, very expensive and obscure. Is this thing going to be priced through the roof? I just bought a DSi, I really can't afford to blow a ton of money on a ludicrously-priced handheld, especially since it's so risky.

I was starting to get concerned about price too. When this comes out, are we looking at a handheld that is the cost of a regular console (Wii, PS3, XBox 360), or are they going to try and keep the price reasonably low? Hopefully it won't cost too much, but I'm afraid that it probably will.

I was starting to get concerned about price too. When this comes out, are we looking at a handheld that is the cost of a regular console (Wii, PS3, XBox 360), or are they going to try and keep the price reasonably low? Hopefully it won't cost too much, but I'm afraid that it probably will.

This is true. Once a handheld starts costing $300, I think I'd be done with handhelds. At least the new ones. The PSP costing $200 at launch was a bit much, and a very small part of the reason I waited like, five years to get even a fat (But alas, I can't even use the ad-hoc, due to me and my friend's playing Guilty Gear too hard... And I was looking forward to doing the same with BlazBlue Portable u.u). Handhelds should not cost that much money. Even with just the technology (Although I forget if the DS cost around the same at launch...?).

<Geight> well hey man
<Geight> the DS did well
<Geight> and the wii did well
<Geight> you have to admit so far as weird gimmicky shit goes
<Geight> they're two for two

Back
Top Bottom