• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

centering variable-width block elements

1. Luftballon

Banned
Pronoun
it
(line numbers are copy-pasta leftovers.)

Code:
   126 .bl-c {
   127   margin-left: auto;
   128   margin-right: auto;
   129 }

Code:
    26 <form method='get' action='?' class='bl-c'>
    27   <input type='text' name='one' value='{{= eschtml param 'one' }}' />
    29   <input type='text' name='two' value='{{= eschtml param 'two' }}' />
    30   <input type='hidden' name='d' value='$nmver' />
    31   <input type='submit' value='Do' class='boring' />
    32 </form>

(ignore the values and stuff.)

I'd like to center the form without having to define a width.

As far as I know that's not an option if you're centering with margin: auto. If you can't just define the form's width with a percentage, though, you can try some of the advice I found here. I imagine that if those'll work for a div they'll work for any other block-level element.

huh. input and textarea are inline elements. that's just... I really should have checked earlier. what other common block elements are there that might need to be centered?

Oh, well, yeah. If all you needed to have centered was the elements within the form, just text-align: center right in the rule for that class works.

I'm not sure what you're asking with the second question; what you would and wouldn't center seems pretty variable depending on what you're trying to achieve.

seems none of the block elements are worth centering, really. so.

I meant if there were any block elements that somebody could conceivably center while keeping its width variable.

Other than container divs in some sort of layout I'm not sure there's much reason to, but, again, I'm relatively sure that inline-block and the other similar suggestions would make it possible to. I haven't had any need to do that myself so I wouldn't know from experience.

Back
Top Bottom