• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[CLOSED][OOC/Signup] Shifting Sands: First Glimpse

Kali the Flygon

Devourer of Sandshrews
RPG thread here

Even in modern times, the Hoenn Desert remains one of the most mysterious and elusive places in the Pokémon World, and for good reason. The Desert is a harsh and unforgiving place. Temperatures that often exceed 120F, massive gale-force winds and sandstorms arising out of seemingly nowhere, and an overall miniscule yearly rainfall are only a few of the natural obstacles that explorers face, Only the most sturdy and foolhardy individuals even attempt to explore this untamed wilderness. And even then, most of these... never return.

Legends have existed for centuries about the spirit of the desert, swallowing up wayward humans in its raging sandstorms. Even the locals don't dare wander too far into the arid wasteland, frightened of incurring the wrath of the desert god. Some even go so far as to say the desert itself is alive. Others say that's just a load of nonsense, and that it's just a lack of effort that's prevented further exploration. But there is a third theory...

Dr. Blaise Saguaro, Professor of Ecology at the University of Central Hoenn, located in Mauville, has been interested in exploring the vast, uncharted regions of the Hoenn Desert for years. He's finally established funding for an expedition, and made plans to venture forth. He believes that there is something hidden out there, something that the desert itself is trying to protect, and he aims to discover just what it could be. He's opened up 5 summer internship positions for eager and adventurous graduate and undergraduate students. The pay's fair, about 50k Poke a week (or about $500 per week) for 10 weeks, and you can earn college credit and work experience, or research toward a masters or doctorate. Are you up to the challenge?

----------------

Application sheet:

Name:
Age: (18-22 are normal undergraduate ages, 22-30 are normal graduate ages. If you're not within the normal range, you'll have to give a good reason why in your biography)
College Major:
Quick Biography:
Reason for Applying:
Pokemon to take with you: (limit one, no legendaries)

----------------

Rules and quick notes:

The usual "No modding, no mary sues, no flaming, etc." stuff
Please try to post at least a full paragraph or thought. No one liners
If you've read this, put each section of your Application sheet in boldface.
Blastoise has agreed to play the Professor. I will be playing various NPCs, as well as being DM.
Have fun, and stay active... if you don't post in forever, we'll have to find a way to kill you in the most gruesome way imaginable ;). If you're having trouble, talk with me, and we can work something out.

----------------

Exploration Team

Dr. Saguaro
- Blastoise
Nate - Brock
Anne - FMC
Bryan - ClockworkJB
Dirk - Patar
Adrian - moon panther
Chris - KronoGreen

Last edited:
Re: [OOC/Signup] Shifting Sands: First Glimpse

Name: Blaise Grant Saguaro
College Major: Ecology (some miscellaneous, unofficial training in Archaeology with his favorite uncle)

Quick Biography
: The good Professor grew up on the outskirts of Mauville decades ago, with caring parents and nary a care in the world. Blaise started his career at age ten, as a traditional, average Pokémon trainer. He got a Squirtle from the local breeders, old friends of his family, and quickly set out, rosy-cheeked and happy like all the rest. He challenged the Gyms' Leaders, won on occasion, and generally had a good time. As he went on, however, he soon realized that he was much more interested in the behavior of the wild Pokémon he encountered, rather than how he was going to catch them. He stopped his official training career with just three badges, which he still has with him all the time.

He applied for a diploma in Pokémon Ecology, and after years and eventually decades of work arrived where he is today, wizened and a tad cynical but still with the spark of insanity that every scientist should always have with them.

Reason for Applying: Has a deep interest in the unexplained strangeness inherent to the unexplored areas of the Pokémon world; lately, in particular, the mysterious and under-explained oddities of the Hoenn desertland. And also to finally see his namesake plant.

Pokemon
: A grizzled old Blastoise. Grr.

Other: Likes to scare the undergraduates. Grr.

Name: Nathaniel 'Nate' Kouze (COOZ)
College Major: Psychology
Quick Biography: Nate grew up in Lavaridge and lived there until he was 13. Then, his mom and dad split and he and his mom went to Lillycove. He had an okay life there, but he was always interested in how people thought, what it would like to see things from other people's POVs. He then was accepeted into the University. He is currently working on his masters for Psychology.
Reason for Applying: He wanted to go along and study the other team members. He also wanted to observe people's reactions to the rumored 'certain death', or unceartain results. Nathaniel also wants to end the rumors of the beast for good.
Pokemon to take with you: Alakazam

Yay! I actually wrote out an app completely the first time! And included a bio section!
Maybe because I really like the topic.

EDIT: Boldfail ftl!
EDIT EDIT: 2 Boldfails!!

Last edited:

Blastoise: Accepted
Brock: Almost remembered all the bold after 2 attempts... maybe 3 is the charm. Psychology is an odd choice, but I suppose that's fine, since I would have even accepted someone who was an art student wanting to take/draw pictures of the desert :p. Almost accepted ;)

Name: Anne Jones
College Major: Biology/Zoology

Quick Biography: Anne was born in Mauville, and studied under the Daycare couple just outside of town when she was young instead of a proper Pokemon journey. She learned the secrets of training Pokemon that were too weak or scared to battle to get stronger, and learned quite a bit about the breeding habits of many species. She was fascinated by the Biologies of Pokemon and how their bodies worked, and why so many kinds laid eggs, even if it would be unusual for them to do so.

She soon started to work on getting into a University and was quickly accepted due to her smarts and a stunning recommendation from the old couple. She took only a single Pokemon with her; Bast, a young Eevee that hatched from an egg that an trainer had left with the couple. She graduated with honours in her chosen field.

Reason for Applying: Anne would like to study what sort of Pokemon (and plants, since she dabbles in that field as well) can survive in the harsh desert conditions, as well as how well humans can adapt.

Pokemon to take with you: [Bast] Eevee (F)

She also carries a small bag with Evolution Items to test on wild Pokemon, as follows:
-Water Stone x3
-Thunderstone x1
-Fire Stone x2
-Leaf Stone x3
-Dawn Stone x1
-Razor Fang x1
-Sun Stone x2
-Oval Stone x1
-Moon Stone x1

Last edited:

Name: Bryan Snow

College Major: EngLit

Quick Biography: Born in Saffron City, Bryan was forced to move to Mauville and the Hoenn region at age 15, when his mother earned a full-time teaching position at a nearby high school. An effortless and natural linguist, Bryan breezed through high school with little trouble. At university however, this natural ability has led him to procrastinate, and his grades have begun to dip.

In spare time better spent studying, Bryan can often be seen training with his Nidorino at Mauville Gym. A woefully inadequate Pokemon trainer, with little to no control over his Pokemon, his losing streak now sits at 16.

Reason for Applying: Free credit!? Money!? This is the chance Bryan has been waiting for. And maybe the picturesque outdoors will inspire him to complete his ever growing stack of late assignments.

Pokemon to take with you: Nidorino

I fixed it! Before you could say Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, I repost. (A real word)

Name: Nathaniel 'Nate' Kouze (COOZ)
College Major: Psychology
Quick Biography: Nate grew up in Lavaridge and lived there until he was 13. Then, his mom and dad split and he and his mom went to Lillycove. He had an okay life there, but he was always interested in how people thought, what it would like to see things from other people's POVs. He then was accepeted into the University. He is currently working on his masters for Psychology.
Reason for Applying: He wanted to go along and study the other team members. He also wanted to observe people's reactions to the rumored 'certain death', or unceartain results. Nathaniel also wants to end the rumors of the beast for good.
Pokemon to take with you: Alakazam

Yay! I actually wrote out an app completely the first time! And included a bio section!
Maybe because I really like the topic.

Name: Dirk Palm

College Major: Currently in Pharmacy School

Quick Biography: Dirk was born in Celestic Town, and studied with the Cynthia and the elders. Cynthia was the one who got Dirk interested in medicine. So she recommended to study with her grandmother. As Dirk began studying, he interest in medicines and herbs grew.

He soon moved to Lavaridge Town after his mother heard that her distant relative or something, Blaise Saguaro had accumulated quite a bit of money. So his mother moved to Lavaridge so Dirk could still continue his studies in medicine. The shopkeeper told Dirk that there was actually a Pharmacy School and he could go there. Dirk applied and got in. One problem. He's the only student and his teacher is hobo who has no experience with medicine whatsoever. So he's stuck, pissed and loathing that shopkeeper.

Reason for Applying: Secretly, Dirk really wants to go because the elders to him that the best herbs are in places here you least suspect them. So Dirk is hoping to find rare herbs to into his medicines, hopefully helping more and more people and Pokemon. And of course, for the money and credit.

Pokemon to take with you: Blissey

He also has a bag full of different medicines from his home town.
- EnergyPowder x2
- Energy Root x3
- Heal Powder x3
- Revival Herb x 5
- SecretPotion x1

Last edited:

I'd rather have Blaise be childless, thank-you.

He could, though, have a sister and, by extension a (great)nephew!

All fixed :D Dirk is related some how to you. But you don't care of course cause you never met me, amirite?

Nice, Brock's accepted.
Clockwork: English Literature is also an odd subject for a scientific expedition, but all right. Accepted.
Patar: I don't think the reason you gave would be something you'd want to write on a job application. It may be the real reason (though the money is coming from a science grant, not his own coffers), but it's not something you'd tell HIM that, right, since he's the one hiring? I'd request that you edit that part. Otherwise, it's looking good.

Just need one more character, and we can start. We already have enough to do something, but I'll give us maybe one more day for another signup.

*Stumbles in at knife point* Gezz...you just can let someone make up their minds, can ya. Oh well, let's see what we got here.

Name: Adrian
College Major: Archaeologist

Quick Biography: Adrian is from a family of nice funds, meaning he was born into a life where money wasn't the problem and he was provided for in any desire. He is a rich boy, but he isn't as stuck up as most would think. He loves to study old ruins and learning new secrets, keeping a leather bound journal of his discoveries in a inside pocket of his coat. When he was about 12, he came across a wounded Gligar near his home, sporting a deep gash on her back. After taking care of this beauty, he gained a valuable ally in his adventures at school.

The main adventure they have is stealing panties from the girl's dorm room.

He is indeed a ladies man, easily distracted from his work by the female student body. But once this hormonal trance is broken, he focuses on his work at hand. He is sly, smug, and some would say whimsical and slick. This was due to the nature of his closet relative, the black sheep of the family, his uncle. His uncle, as it were, was a "Archaeologist" himself whom always had a "Replica" of ancient treasures to give his nephew when he visited.

Reason for Applying: Frankly, he was bored at looking at texts books and sitting in classes. Bored as all hell, and having most of his secret passages to the girl's dorm blocked off, he jumped at the mention of a trip that would get him out of class and use the skills he acquired in his school years. He hopes that this exploration will prove interesting enough to keep his attention.

Pokemon to take with you: [Titan] Gliscor (F)

Can i finish this a bit later?

Last edited:

Patar: accepted
moon-panther: All right, but please finish before you post to the main thread, which I or Blastoise will be starting later today. You'd think though that if he was 29, he wouldn't be living in the dorms anymore, that he'd have at least his own apartment. Dorms are usually for the undergrads.

Name: Christopher 'Chris' Woodstrip
College Major: Archaeology
Quick Biography: Ever since he was a boy, Chris always had two lifelong dreams - to be an archaeologist, and to find and hopefully tame the legendary Pokemon, Zapdos. He's always been one to take risks, jumping off the playground and trying to breath underwater for five minutes and whatnot. People always said he was crazy, and he was.
Reason for Applying: After spending more time then needed getting as much knowledge from college as possible, he's finally ready for an exploration, and this seems like a fine opportunity.
Pokemon to take with you: Metooth (Feraligatr) (M)

Last edited:
KronoGreen: Few things... 1: I can tell you didn't read the rules. 2: That's really not a Biography, and the Reason for Applying could use work too. Pretend the signup is a serious job application, rather than making 'fun' of it. 3: There were only 5 student slots open. Since I hadn't closed signups when you posted, my own mistake, I'll consider adding a slot, but not until you fix 1 and 2. Not accepted.

Signups are closed, save for edits by people who have already posted. We'll be starting later today. If you're really interested in the story after this, send me a private message and I might be able to work something in later, but it might not be what or when you want.

Back
Top Bottom