The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Spatz

Notices

Conversation Between Spatz and allitersonance
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. allitersonance
    11-05-2013 01:12 AM
    allitersonance
    Ah, all the sites I could find just pronounced it exactly like René(e) - I'd guess because, just because it's misspelled doesn't mean the parents or whatever are obligated to pronounce it wrong, and they'd have the pronunciation in mind before they wrote down the misspelled thing for the birth certificate, presumably.

Oh, yeah, it's obvious they knew jack shit about French. Renée, how it's supposed to be spelled, is the feminine form of René. English does away with the accent entirely but I think it's mainly restricted to feminine usage.

(Incidentally. Quitterie is a French name, sooo. She probably. Yeah.)

... as someone whose dealings in foreign names is usually anime, that pronunciation key was more confusing than anything else though. >>;
  2. Spatz
    11-04-2013 10:35 PM
    Spatz
    Typically it's pronounced like this: r uh - n AI
    Because Reneé's parents knew jack shit about french names, and spelled it the way they did it is pronounced: r uh - n uh-AI

This is why he prefers to be referred to as Ren for the most part, as his name literally sounds like someone butchered the french language. This is also why he can never hang around Francophones...
  3. allitersonance
    11-04-2013 08:55 PM
    allitersonance
    would that. actually be pronounced differently.