The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Negrek

Notices

Conversation Between Negrek and Sandstone-Shadow
Showing Visitor Messages 21 to 30 of 38
  1. Sandstone-Shadow
    10-15-2017 03:47 PM
    Sandstone-Shadow
    Glad the weather was good! Haha it's good to take time out, too. Oh man, when I was in Italy, two of my biggest success stories were finding a grocery store and a take-out pizza place all by myself. Sometimes it's just the fact of "I'm doing something simple that would be a breeze at home, by myself in a foreign country where I don't speak the language." It's like learning to do everything all over again or something!

Thanks! Haha yeah travel expenses probably induce some manner of anxiety... worth it though?!

Most of the businessy things were things like selling art/books on the side. For that to work, I'd have to be more consistent about creating these things, which does take some time. I have also been looking into freelance options - so far I haven't tried anything. I think I'm just scared to take on another job when I know my next one should probably last two years for resume building purposes. It feels like so much commitment!
  2. Negrek
    10-05-2017 06:05 PM
    Negrek
    Whoops, yeah. Unfortunately I didn't get back in time to prevent confusion with the commands, but thanks for letting me know! And thanks for getting your metronome commands in, too.

I did end up having wonderful weather for the hike--not a single drop of rain! It was a great time, but now I'm ready to take a couple days off to rest my aching muscles, let my bug bites heal, and reconnect with some of the other important things in life (INTERNET INTERNET INTERNET *cough*). And yeah, haha, at times it can be difficult to balance going out and ~doing stuff~ in a foreign country with the other stuff I want to do, namely hole up and talk to no one while I write/code/read/whatever. I try to take breaks and give myself enough time in a place that I don't feel like I'm missing out by taking a little time out to enjoy things that I like besides travel, such as, for example, video games. Just getting outside to buy food or arrange to do things on a later day can be enough of an adventure, sometimes.

Congrats on getting out of a bad job situation, and best of luck finding a position that you enjoy. It sounds like you deserve a break after what you had to deal with at your last job. I know what you mean about how anxiety-inducing it is to see your savings evaporate without any intake to counteract it. *cheerfully throws a few more thousand dollars out the window*

What kinds of businessy things were you thinking of trying? Even if you don't get a chance to put them into action, they sound like fun!
  3. Sandstone-Shadow
    09-30-2017 12:50 AM
    Sandstone-Shadow
    Commands posted! Also, I was reading the other battles and saw in Porygon2's and RedneckPhoenix's battle, it seems Kung Fu Furret is allowed to post commands next! I'm sure you'll see it next time you log in :) but just in case you see this first.

That sounds awesome! I hope you get great weather! That sounds magical for sure - learning about those things in books/documentaries is one thing, but actually getting to see them would be incredible. I'm from the midwest and I imagine getting to visit a real live rainforest must be so surreal!

Oof, I'm glad nothing too bad has happened yet, that sucks about the food poisoning though! I've probably said this before but I think it's really cool that you're doing this - I think I love the idea of it, especially getting to learn first hand about all these things you've probably never seen before, but also love the idea of staying at home and reading/playing games haha.

At the end of July, I ended up quitting my job and moving back home with my parents. A number of factors led up to it - I was having trouble looking for another job while working there, and the job was really not having a good effect on me. Most days I felt completely drained and demotivated, and I didn't have much in the way of friends to keep me busy there. I've been back about two months now and haven't done a lot of searching or applying - I've got enough saved up and I don't have to pay rent, but I am starting to feel the urgency creep back in. It is a little alarming, after having a regular paycheck, to still see student loan bills and the like to pay without anything coming in!

I'm working on an application for a different kind of job - I really can't see myself staying in engineering right now. It's possible that I'm just really burnt from my last job, but I also feel like I'd do so much better in something like student affairs. And I have so many dreams for my own creative businessy things on the side, but honestly I think that's going to have to wait until I find a more stable job, so I don't worry about making ends meet. Ahhh!
  4. Negrek
    09-29-2017 07:04 AM
    Negrek
    Also, please post some commands in the metronome battle!
  5. Negrek
    09-26-2017 08:44 AM
    Negrek
    I'm still going! Right now I'm in Cusco, Peru. Starting Friday I'll be doing a five-day hike to Machu Picchu, so pray for good weather for me lol.

Overall it's been great! I've gotten to visit a ton of incredible places and met up with loads of fantastic people along the way. Since I'm a biology nerd, getting to visit rain forests, savannah, deserts, all kinds of different biomes and see animals like lions, elephants, hippos, etc. in the wild. Probably my favorite experience so far was getting to be on the beach when sea turtles were coming in to lay their eggs... it's kind of hard to appreciate how massive they are when you see them in an aquarium, and being out there by the ocean in the dark when they start to come out of the waves is really magical. It's also been really cool to get kind of a crash course in the history and culture of so many different places, especially places I didn't learn much about in school (i.e., everywhere not in Europe, pretty much). I'm definitely learning a lot.

But of course there have been downs, too, like my suffering multiple bouts of food poisoning since getting to Peru, and also probably the worst food poisoning I've had in my life in South Africa. Generally speaking I'm pretty resistant to disease and have only had a couple minor colds so far on my trip, but unfortunately Fortunately no major accidents, weird illnesses, or thefts yet. I do seem determined to lose my camera, but thus far it's always come back to me through weird circumstances. Also, it can get pretty exhausting moving from place to place and feeling like you always need to be doing something, or you're wasting time in this place that you spent a ton of money to get to and may never get the chance to visit again. Rather difficult, since I want to keep up with my writing and working on my web site and so on, but I end up getting super tired out from walking around all day and trying to manage logistics and so on. All in all, though, I'd say they're mostly enviable problems to have.

What's up with you? How's the job going?
  6. Sandstone-Shadow
    09-25-2017 11:42 PM
    Sandstone-Shadow
    Hey Negrek! Are you still traveling the world? How is it/was it?
  7. Negrek
    03-29-2017 08:59 AM
    Negrek
    Thanks! And let me know. I can give you a rough idea of where I'll be when if you like.
  8. Sandstone-Shadow
    03-27-2017 10:53 PM
    Sandstone-Shadow
    Ahh! Good luck, have fun, safe travels and all that!! :D

I'll let you know! I'm mostly thinking about my next job right now but... there is a possibility for some gap travel in between. We'll see! Thanks for the invite either way, I appreciate it!
  9. Negrek
    03-26-2017 09:21 AM
    Negrek
    Ah, well, at least you got to see friends and family! Travelling around the country is great, too.

Well, if you're interested in international travel but nervous about going alone, you're welcome to hop on with me for part of my journey!

I leave in around thirty-six hours, so we're definitely in the crisis stage of prep now! Hopefully I get a better handle on the administrative side of things, or this is going to be one extremely non-relaxing vacation, heh.
  10. Sandstone-Shadow
    03-26-2017 12:56 AM
    Sandstone-Shadow
    So I never answered your message in the travel thread! I didn't end up going anywhere unfortunately; I felt unprepared for a big trip I guess. I did get to go see some friends living elsewhere in the US and was at home for several family things, so that was good.

As much as I like the idea of traveling alone, I think I am really nervous about it. I did a few day trips by myself in Italy, but I was there generally with a group so it wasn't as big of a deal. I'd like to drag my family overseas with me, but I doubt they would want to heh!

Hope your trip/trip planning is going well!