Thanks so much!
  2. M&F
    05-27-2016 01:59 PM
    M&F
    Happy birthday!
  3. M&F
    11-05-2015 11:00 PM
    M&F
    The thing about it is that the official crit bonus isn't multiplied in, it's added in, at the end of the calculation, and the number that's added in is equal to half the base damage (that, admittedly, is a mistake I've also fallen into frequently). It's a slightly different beast from direct multiplication, but the difference will definitely be visible in this case.

(and for what it's worth, as far as I can tell, JackPK ordered a Sandstorm specifically in the event of Pokey being fully paralyzed in the first action, so, there's probably no Sandstorm in the next round. In any case, the match dragging out for an extra round means that two whole actions from this round, that wouldn't have been done otherwise, will be done.)
  4. Superbird
    11-05-2015 08:23 PM
    Superbird
    ...And besides that, actually, while I'm redoing calculations and going over how my scale works.

The issue I'd like to address is where in the damage formula critical hits are applied. By my scale, weakness/resistance is the absolute last thing to be applied, after critical hits (thus, the crit damage is multiplied by the weakness/resistance modifier, in this case 1.5, along with the rest of the attack's damage). In fact, the reason my scale uses 1.5 as a factor is that it's almost always less than 7% anyway (e.g. in this case, a 120-bp attack becoming 180 after a crit; the crit adds only 6% damage to the attack), and if we were to apply the restriction here, the only thing that would change would actually be Pokey taking 1% less damage - Cool Beauty Violet Temptation would still go down in one hit.

Looking through both the present and past archives, I can't find a precedent for which is supposed to come first. I assumed with my scale that crits count before weakness/resistance, because it makes sense that an attack hitting harder than usual would hit even more harder than usual on an opponent already vulnerable to the attack. If I keep it this way then nothing changes in this battle, since the damage wasn't boosted by STAB or items or anything else. If crits are the last thing to happen, and thus add damage after weakness/resistance is already applied, it would change the attack's damage, but in this case only by 2% (admittedly, enough to make the battle drag out an entire extra round, but also to 100% guarantee that both battlers faint on action 1 - any attempts at healing would self-KO from energy use, and CBVT would faint automatically to sandstorm damage while Pokey would be sitting at about 4% after the damage cap).
  5. M&F
    11-05-2015 08:07 PM
    M&F
    It counts as two moves.
  6. Superbird
    11-05-2015 07:56 PM
    Superbird
    While I'm at it I'd also like to verify whether a Normal + Normal combo counts as 1 move or two
  7. M&F
    11-05-2015 07:11 PM
    M&F
    Well, there's still time to fix it.
  8. Superbird
    11-05-2015 01:33 AM
    Superbird
    Yep, I see what you're saying.
  9. M&F
    11-04-2015 05:34 PM
    M&F
    So, I kind of need to pull you up on something again. (one of these days I've got to actually do a check on your scale -- and that of anyone else who has a scale out there, for that matter -- to check for all the possible problem points at once instead of just intermittently pointing things out as they happen to come up, so hopefully once I get that done with we won't have to keep doing this, but I'll specially kind of have to be prompt with this particular issue because there are KOs involved)

Your scale does critical hits exactly as the game does, as far as I can tell; the problem is, the games don't function on the same numbers or time scale as ASB does at all, so applying game mechanics to reffings without adapting can lead to aberrant numbers. Critical hits are a fine example of this -- they rapidly become very likely to happen because increasing your crit ratio in the games costs valuable time and even as much as 50% odds on critting isn't very good, being that you're not so likely to get both enough turns to set that up and enough turns to land crits reliably with it. In ASB, you do have that time, comfortably so, so the ratio increases in steadier increments, to the point that it's extremely difficult to get it to 50% and you can't even go beyond that.

But the probability is just a hypothetical example of what might go wrong. The damage, on the other hand, is a bit of a different story. The crit bonuses you're currently applying increase with other, unrelated factors and can easily overshoot 7%, which are both things that the official damage scale explicitly says shouldn't happen. Not that I'm saying the official damage scale is gospel under all circumstances, mind, but the official damage scale was built to result in numbers that work for ASB, hence, the restrictions are there for good reasons; whereas the in-game damage mechanics were definitely not built to result in numbers that work for ASB, so, there's no justification for applying them in ASB intact. If you're going to do something different from the official damage scale, it should at least be something that was also specifically made with ASB in mind (and to be frank, I can't really imagine a different way from the official one actually working for ASB crits at all). The alternative to this is getting numbers that are too high for ASB.
  10. Superbird
    10-14-2015 01:57 AM
    Superbird
    It's Attract, though - a more powerful attack is a more powerful attack, and the intent to harm should be obvious even against a sub.