The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Byrus

Notices

Conversation Between Byrus and Negrek
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 45
  1. Byrus
    04-18-2017 11:39 PM
    Byrus
    Oh, cool, I'd heard of that webcomic before but for some reason I didn't think it was active. That artwork is really gorgeous!
  2. Negrek
    04-17-2017 10:50 PM
    Negrek
    If you aren't familiar with it already, I think Kill Six Billion Demons is a webcomic you might enjoy. Ordinary barista has an incredibly powerful artifact shoved in her forehead and is flung into heaven, which she finds to be a corrupt, decaying place overrun by demons and consumed by violence. She sets out to learn how to use the power that was thrust upon her and rescue her boyfriend, who was carried off by marauding angels. Very colorful comic with loads of cool angel/demon/creature designs and cool/bizarre settings.
  3. Byrus
    04-06-2015 03:46 AM
    Byrus
    Cool! I'll see about getting the battle revived.
  4. Negrek
    04-05-2015 04:43 AM
    Negrek
    I'm down if you are.
  5. Byrus
    04-05-2015 03:13 AM
    Byrus
    Hey, Negrek, are you interested in finishing that old tournament battle of ours, or do you just want to end it in a draw?
  6. Byrus
    07-07-2013 08:45 AM
    Byrus
    Wow, there's a lot of his books to check out, and they seem to be pretty lengthy, so that'll definitely keep me busy! I have to admit that Perdido Street Station was a bit difficult for me to get into at first, but once I got going, I just couldn't stop reading. I really liked the characters too, and Lin's fate still makes me sad. (I'm a bit of a softie, honestly)

Oh, no problem, I'm always open to recommendations, especially webcomics. I seem to spend too much of my time complaining about them nowadays, and that definitely loses its fun after awhile. :P I'll be sure to check that one out.
  7. Negrek
    06-12-2013 07:27 AM
    Negrek
    Great, glad you liked it! At this point I've pretty much cleaned the local library out of Miéville, heh. Just started reading Un Lun Dun today, in fact.

It's kind of funny, Perdido Street Station is actually one of my least favorite out of the novels I've read so far of his... I don't know why, but to me it felt like it started to drag a lot in the third act, and I kind of lost interest in it for a bit. Kraken's the one I've enjoyed the most, but I've been pretty satisfied with all the ones I've read so far!

Edit: Also, if you're not tired of me shoving media recommendations in your face, Derelict is a pretty cool webcomic I think you'd like. It's a story about a woman trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world where... well, it's not totally clear what all happened yet, but it involves the emergence of a variety of pretty cool monsters.
  8. Byrus
    06-11-2013 11:09 PM
    Byrus
    Bluh, very late reply here, but I finished reading Perdido street station a while ago and it was fantastic! It really felt unique and exciting and I loved all the ideas. The Remade in particular was a wonderfully creepy concept. I think it was a really good example of steampunk done right, so many people just seem to mash random steampunkish concepts together without really stopping to think of the world building behind it.

I'm starting on The Scar now, and I'll probably pick up Iron Council afterwards. Thanks for the recommendation!
  9. Negrek
    02-02-2013 08:48 AM
    Negrek
    Cool. Let me know what you think.
  10. Byrus
    02-01-2013 09:09 PM
    Byrus
    Oh, thanks for the suggestion! I'd actually heard of that author before but I wasn't sure if he was worth checking out. That's a good sign if he got a thumbs up from you, so I'll be sure to have a look for him in the Kindle store.