The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > opaltiger

Notices

Conversation Between opaltiger and Negrek
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 18
  1. Negrek
    08-12-2017 05:24 AM
    Negrek
    Happy birthday! Congrats on being older (but still not old enough).
  2. Negrek
    11-04-2015 02:56 AM
    Negrek
    Psssh, what's getting turned out onto the streets when it means you have the opportunity to hang with your most awesome admin buddies ever in the most happening place on earth while partaking of the hippest, most jivetastic rap musical about a semi-obscure Revolutionary War figure ever? Where is the Life you've lost in living within your means? Where are the sick rhymes you've lost in wanting to keep a roof over your head? How can you even live with yourself?

Props for not being a huge enabler, though. XD

Aww, well, August probably wouldn't have worked for me anyway, but it's always frustrating to have a near miss like that. We'll just have to convene sometime later!
  3. opaltiger
    11-02-2015 06:28 PM
    opaltiger
    If by "real-life responsibilities" you mean "the vaguest shred of fiscal responsibility", then yes. :P

Actually, it's kind of a shame. One of my potential plans next summer does involve being in the US, though not until August.
  4. Negrek
    11-02-2015 03:29 AM
    Negrek
    So I hear you've got some "real-life responsibilities" or, like, "reasonable priorities" that are standing in the way of an admin party in NYC.

I'm so disappointed in you.
  5. Negrek
    03-15-2015 06:53 AM
    Negrek
    Well that wasn't a horrifically vague response or anything! Good to hear you've got some fun Minor Life Events going on; I love those. Going to Japan sounds wonderful, of course. Do you usually go to the same place, or have you been travelling around?

I'm just inching closer to my hopefully-last year of grad school. Doing the lab thing, doing the TA thing, nothing too exciting, really. I'll be glad to be done!
  6. opaltiger
    03-15-2015 05:49 AM
    opaltiger
    Haha, I forget how rarely I post because I lurk basically all the time.

Nothing much! I am between Major Life Events, living in London, pondering what to do next, but generally having a good time. There are plenty of fun Minor Life Events. Been to Japan lots.

Yourself?
  7. Negrek
    03-15-2015 05:26 AM
    Negrek
    You. >:| What have you been up to? It's been ages!
  8. opaltiger
    12-13-2012 09:48 AM
    opaltiger
    R I have used and actually kind of enjoyed. :D

I think you are going to have to unpack "using automata to quantify genome rearrangement patterns" for me. Mostly the automata bit, because I suspect what I am imagining is slightly off.
  9. Negrek
    12-13-2012 09:24 AM
    Negrek
    It's nowhere near as bad as R! I've done very little work in MATLAB overall; this particular class is the first time I've had to use it seriously. I find it to be a pretty indifferent language, but it does have a ton of functionality, even if that functionality is implemented more nicely in other, more specialized environments.

My doctoral program is in computational biology... I'll be doing mostly genetics/molecular stuff, but other people in my program work on things like primate social behavior, fish schooling, biofilm modeling, and so on. My primary proposed thesis topic is a pretty straightforward computational motif-finding project, and my riskier-but-more-fun secondary topic is on using automata to quantify genome rearrangement patterns.
  10. opaltiger
    12-13-2012 09:14 AM
    opaltiger
    So far I have avoided having to use MATLAB in my academic career. Is it as annoying as I am led to believe?

What are you doing for postgrad, anyway? I realised I am not aware of your academic inclinations beyond a vague and possibly misleading feeling that you're in some sort of molecular field.