• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Don't Ask Don't Tell

EvilCrazyMonkey

will be the prettiest little girl since Zac Efron.
For those who don't know, the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy bans openly gay people from serving in the American army.

imo it is stupid and discriminatory; it needs to be gotten rid of.

It's extremely ridiculous, and in the absence of any other reason (like the fact it's pure discrimination), the fact that gays are allowed to serve in the military of pretty much every other Western country and they're still fine should be enough to merit it being removed immedietly.

Crazy USians.

more examples of gays getting the short end of the stick because they're different, what the hell do you think I'm gonna say

America needs to take any anti-gay policies and shove it

Honestly, I don't consider it that big of a deal, mostly because (as the name implies) it doesn't seem to be as much of penalty against being gay as a penalty against telling people you're gay, and if the goal is to prevent homosexual relationships among soldiers then a rule against telling people you're gay would certainly help with that task.

But yeah, it needs to go. It's blatant discrimination. :|

But, but, but, it saves poor gay people from getting killed in wars! Think: all straight people go to war, they die, and what is the world left with? Gay people! So it's actually good!

Yeah, it's stupid discrimination alright. USians are crazy. It's probably the whole "the Bible says" thing again, since US is more or less made of crazy Christians. :/

But guys if there's gays in the army then they'll all turn gay, and then they can't fight!

Yeah stupid policy.

I sort of understand why they have it. I mean, Imagine if a relationship between two men or two women did form, don't you think that there would be a high risk that it could really cloud their judgement in a time of crisis? I don't think it is all that bad, at least they're still getting to join, just as long as they don't go telling people they're homosexual.

But then, the same could be said for heterosexual relationships. If they don't want to be hypocrates they'd have to keep men and women seperate too (I don't know if they already do that or not) to keep consistant in their ideas.

I mean, Imagine if a relationship between two men or two women did form, don't you think that there would be a high risk that it could really cloud their judgement in a time of crisis? I don't think it is all that bad, at least they're still getting to join, just as long as they don't go telling people they're homosexual.

I thought relationships of any kind weren't allowed? While you're off army-ing somewhere, I mean.

But, but, but, it saves poor gay people from getting killed in wars! Think: all straight people go to war, they die, and what is the world left with? Gay people! So it's actually good!
I'm sorry but what the fuck?

the US has some really stupid policies/laws I swear
why was this one even made? other than to discriminate that is

"Anyone, dumb enough, to want to be in the military, should be allowed in. In fact, that should be the only requirement."
~Bill Hicks, rest in peace buddy

Don't Ask Don't Tell is bullshit and I hope it's revoked soon. They've fired a ton of Arabic-speaking people (who are really, really useful right now) because they diescovered they're gay, which I find... pretty damn retarded actually!
I remember some general once saying that 'er um er if we let gay men into the army then er it could create discomfort for everyone else because um when it's cold outside we often have to sleep huddled up together!'
Alright, if you're freezing your ass off in a place where everyone else wants you dead and could fire-bomb your tent at any time and you get a boner I think you have more problems than being gay.

I sort of understand why they have it. I mean, Imagine if a relationship between two men or two women did form, don't you think that there would be a high risk that it could really cloud their judgement in a time of crisis? I don't think it is all that bad, at least they're still getting to join, just as long as they don't go telling people they're homosexual.
How would it cloud their judgement? They could want to protect their partner I suppose but you are supposed to protect the rest of your team (no man left behind, etc.) as much as you can.
And yeah they can join but they're fired immediately if anyone discovers they're gay and tells a superior. And having to repress yourself isn't healthy and it doesn't make for stable, happy soldiers.

But then, the same could be said for heterosexual relationships. If they don't want to be hypocrates they'd have to keep men and women seperate too (I don't know if they already do that or not) to keep consistant in their ideas.
Women and men get separate barracks but they have the same ranks and they're in mixed platoons and stuff. Doing otherwise would just be sexist.

I thought relationships of any kind weren't allowed? While you're off army-ing somewhere, I mean.
Pretty sure co-worker relationships aren't allowed, yeah.

the US has some really stupid policies/laws I swear
why was this one even made? other than to discriminate that is
Gay people weren't allowed to join at all before the Clinton administration. Since it was the 90s and people (especially in America) were still very conservative, Bill couldn't just go 'SHUCKS WE'LL LET GAYS JOIN NOW!' without getting shot so he signed DADT.

"Anyone, dumb enough, to want to be in the military, should be allowed in. In fact, that should be the only requirement."
~Bill Hicks, rest in peace buddy
haha

Seriously, you people should all listen to that "Gays in the Military" sketch by Bill Hicks. It perfectly sums up what I think.

DADT is a disgusting policy (though it's better than what used to be there so props to Bill I guess) and it needs to be repealed like now. Other militaries have gays - the world doesn't end.

I mean by saying "gays wouldn't work in our army but you can have them in yours" you're basically saying "Americans are retarded."

(though it's better than what used to be there so props to Bill I guess)
Bill brought unicorns and rainbows to America. And he's a total pimp.

I kind of wonder what America would look like today if Bobby hadn't been shot and had gotten elected. Or if, you know, incompetent dickholes like Reagan, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. hadn't existed.
They'd probably have been replaced by even worse people though so er.

Back
Top Bottom