• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Japan... kinda sucks!

I thought this would have so many more views based on the general population of this forum.

“We should stop letting unskilled laborers into Japan. We should make sure that even the three-K jobs are paid well, and that they are filled by Japanese,” he said. “I do not think that Japan should ever become a multiethnic society.”
er.

gg japan. :/

Smooth, Japan. Smooth.

Though really I'd find the mercury poisoning issues in that one bay and the government's response to it more noteworthy.

What? How does this benefit them at all? I understand they've always been like this toward foreigners, but being more accepting of immigrants and allowing them to hold jobs would probably help their economy a lot. :\

what could be bad about letting japan be a multiethnic society?

i'm not too keen about this, either. i actually like japan a lot; i still am fond of the nine years i spent living in okinawa.

Japan xenophobic.
In other news: sky blue, water wet.

And yeah, hopefully this'll make it so there's less of those fucking annoying 'i wanna be amngaka in glorious nippon!!' types. One can only hope.

I love how this title is deliberately named so that as many people as possible will read it. <3

Okay, I love Japan, and I'm American with no known Asian descent in my blood. I was considering someday going there for a while, but this is just stupid. Really, insulting the US is so dumb. In the USA are all types of people--including Japanese. I like to say no one is "American" because we're so diverse. There are many types of cultures here. But that man (I won't even say his name!) just ruined Japan's reputation. I don't think the immigrants are the only ones complaining. Residents probably will too because this is an international matter, and unlike the government, they probably think of their international reputation. In 25 years anyone from Japan will say "I'm Japanese" while in another country could be insulted publicly for this. People have to be careful with what they say because who knows how it'll affect others in the future. One man insulted Catholics on the local newspaper's message board saying "Catholics started the Crusades", which has nothing to do with modern Catholics. Really, the Brazilian-Japanese descendants could have easily been born Japanese if one ancestor didn't go. One choice affects your descendants' lives before they're even born. (Man, I think too far ahead for a 14-year-old. O_O)

In 25 years anyone from Japan will say "I'm Japanese" while in another country could be insulted publicly for this.

Japan has been ridiculously xenophobic throughout its entire history. Nothing so far!

Dammit, you beat me to it!

me too :( I was going to say something but decided it wouldn't ~contribute anything~

As always, Westerners whose knowledge of Japan comes mainly from comics and cartoons really shouldn't be surprised when the reality is nothing like said cartoons.

Not like it's really a new thing, of course. I'm sure all of those immigrants coming to America for "opportunity" were somewhat surprised to find that it wasn't exactly what they had daydreamed it would be.

OK, now that I've actually read the article...

Their stringent citizenship laws are to blame, though that probably just falls under xenophobia. Brazil has the second most Japanese people outside of Japan (largest Japanese immigrant community, more or less), so of course many go to Japan. The problem is that the Japanese government more or less gives out citizenship only to people who have been living in Japan for many, many generations (gist of it, I don't recall the exact criterion), so even if you are of Japanese descent, if you were born outside of Japan, it's very, very unlikely that you will be granted citizenship, thus Japanese Latin Americans coming in as guest workers.

It's kinda silly to me, at least, I mean, they are, for the most part, Japanese people, many able to speak Japanese fluently. So why should they be treated as foreigners?

Of course, it's a problem if they weren't Japanese in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom