• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

End of the World?

Here is how it goes down:

Twenty years from now, Stephen Hawking finally perfects his formula for time travel, and builds a working time machine. Because this is an incredibly dangerous piece of technology, the government snatches it from him and puts it in a high-security building guarded 24/7 by hundreds of security guards, laser traps, 10-foot-steel doors, the works. However, Mr. T hears about this new spiffy technology, and decides he could have many uses for time travel himself. He effortlessly breaks through all the layers of security in this building, and snags the machine. He then takes it back to his house on the moon, and thinks to himself "what could I do with this machine?". He decides to relive one of the best moments of his life, which was when he filmed the scene where he fought Rocky as Clubber Lang in one of the rocky movies. He time warps back to the past, and reaches the set where his past self is getting ready for the next take. "Hey, past Mr. T!" he calls out. But, the past Mr. T is extremely frightened, and thinks the future Mr. T is an imposter trying to assassinate him. So, he lunges at the future Mr. T.

This it where it all goes horribly wrong. For you see, Mr. T is designed to be the one power that can destroy any other power. He is the trump card that can beat anything else. But when two Mr. T's go head to head, which one wins? The universe can't figure it out either, and gets a fatal error and ceases to exist.

Probably when the sun blows up. Maybe when Andromada reaches the world... Black holes...

What? You said nothing about humanity.

Fff, Neuclear Wars wouldn't be that great. Or excessive logging... or other things that I can't be bothered to think about.

The world ends when the planet ceases to exist. If the human race dies, or any other race of animals die, I believe that it wouldn't be the end of the world as the planet would still be in tact. Provided nuclear weapons don't split out planet in two, the world won't end whenever that happens. Either way, I've heard that scorpions and cockroaches can survive a nuclear war anyway.

(This is all just what I think. Feel free to disagree)
I don't think the end of life counts as the end of the world. The Earth will still be there, even if nothing lives on it. As long as we don't blow ourselves up or something stupid like that, I think humans will be around for a very long time, but not long enough to see the sun go pop.

When the sun goes pop I don't think the Earth will be destroyed either. The sun's way too small to supernova, so I think the it'll just get a bit frazzled and end up as a little cold ball of rock and metal floating around in space. Anything that's still alive will definitely die though.

I decided to stop worrying about the end of the world a long time ago. Worrying too much ruins the little time we have on Earth.

The sun's way too small to supernova

uh, you realise stars are not the same size throughout their life? our sun will become a red giant in approximately five billion years, and it's estimated that at that point its diameter will grow to a point where it will engulf Earth. we won't even need a supernova in the end.

2012: The magnetic poles will shift. We have to reverse our compasses. Big whoop. It isn't the end of the world. :/

The end of human population will probably come about through ourselves. Nuclear warfare (which is much, MUCH more likely than you would care to think right now), erratic weather due to global warming, nuclear warfare, us driving something BIG extinct, not just a bug or something, and thus causing a chain reaction around the world in which tons of other things go extinct, nuclear warfare, us screwing up making a time machine (xD), or nuclear warfare.
Did I mention nuclear warfare?
I don't believe I did, so I'll mention it now.
Nuclear warfare is also a possibility. Seriously. Israel and Iran are this close to breaking out the H-bombs.

I don't know when, but I think meteors are going to come down and kill all of us. Or maybe the same way dinosaurs got extinct.

I wouldn't really care if the world ends or not. I guess I would miss all the anime that I didn't watch, the manga I didn't read, and the videogames I haven't played... And I never got to play Tales of Symphonia either! Never mind then. The world can end after I've played ToS.

I would say that in the far future, the star colonies all across the galaxy would rebel and destroy the earth through some means, and it would be forgotten about as our race expanded across the galaxy and outwards from there. That seems to be the most likely way in my mind, aside the sun expanding in the far future or a nuclear holocaust, which most likely wouldn't actually end the world, just make the few survivors into mutants.

Do you mean world as in the Earth? Then when the sun becomes a red giant in about 5 billion years.

If you mean the world as in humanity, then I have no idea. We could live as long as the universe does...or we could kill ourselves with a nuclear war within the century. If we live as long as the universe does, we probably won't be humans by that time, but instead some super-advanced evolved life form descended from humans. (So it wouldn't be humanity)

Everyone ready for an excerpt from poetry? Here we go.

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.
-The Hollow Men by T.S. Eliot

Back
Top Bottom