• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ArtMo/DraMo 2009

Let's see. Can't upload, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Dec. 1: Drew some doodles of steampunky dudes with top hats.
Dec. 2: Drew two fakemon of mine during science class. Neutot is a prevo to Plusle and Minun which evolves when leveling up with a Plus Incense (for Plusle) or Minus Incense (for Minun). Pinchir is a prevo to Pinsir that is essentially a stag beetle with mini-horns and stick legs. Yeah, not thinking of much.

I've gotten my first two done (other than the background, but that can wait 'til next month or the one after, right?) I'm trying to expand my poses and ideas with little success. Making Holiday cards crossed my mind, so expect some of those, plus a big old OS group picture on the last day. I haven't bothered with uploading my two pictures yet, but I'll try to get to that soon.

Also, everyone's pictures are looking lovely so far <3~

RaiCH, your coloring is really nice. It could use a bit more contrast, but your color choice is spot on, as is your light source. I'm really liking that sunflower for some reason. However, her arms seem unnaturallt stiff, and a tad short. A few clothing folds would do wonders. Overall, it's a cute little piece, and a great submission on your first day in ArtMo.

Ice, I'm really fond of your outlining here. Those clothing folds are pretty darn great, too. What shading you have is great, but at a minium most pieces of art have three different shades. The hair style is really cool, though.
Vlad's picture is just really adorable, and the border really does wonders. The little frills at the end of the ribbon is a nice little touch. The skin shading works pretty well, but not so much with the hair on the red-head. It's probably just laziness, but I'm sure you know that hair is textured. Sorry if that was a bit nitpicky, but there's not much else that I see that's wrong.

Hey guys. I drew a picture for today, but

1) Paint.NET decided to go all "Not Responding" right as I was finishing up the outlining and

2) One of my frogs is sick. He's twitching and acting like he's paralyzed, and I already caught him lying on his back once (not a good sign). We have like a frog ER set up in the living room right now, and I'm going to do what I can. I think my drawing takes a back seat to my poor little froggy. :(

Sorry about this.

Hey guys. I drew a picture for today, but

1) Paint.NET decided to go all "Not Responding" right as I was finishing up the outlining and

2) One of my frogs is sick. He's twitching and acting like he's paralyzed, and I already caught him lying on his back once (not a good sign). We have like a frog ER set up in the living room right now, and I'm going to do what I can. I think my drawing takes a back seat to my poor little froggy. :(

Sorry about this.

I'm hoping for the best for your froggy. Drawing definitely should take a back seat to real life matters. You have nothing to say sorry for. Plus it must really suck with the whole Paint.NET thing. I hope everything works out.

Well I'll critique FMC's dragon and superyoshi888's 2nd picture.

FMC: Your shading is done very well, and the proportions are mostly correct. The neck should be thicker where it connects to the head, and I think the shoulder blades should jut out more. The forearms seem a bit thick as well. The spine alignment is good, except for the sixth spine, which should be a bit more to the right, I think, so that the spine doesn't look as twisted. I do like those spots around the spines, though. And the eyes should be a bit higher up in the skull.
The next few things are up to interpretation, since dragons are well, mythical. I tend to look at goats and other horned mammals when I draw dragon horns, and mammal horns are usually set closer to the edge of the eye, if that makes sense? So according to goat anatomy, the horns should be a bit farther in the skull, and not sitting on the edge. And this is highly debatable, but I like to think of dragon wings as bat wings: five fingers, all spanning from one point. I've seen many people draw dragons with fingers coming from their elbows, though, so that's fine; just giving my two cents here. Oh, and you may want to connect the skin farther down the body, so the wings can catch more breeze.

Overall, you just have some anatomical issues that can be easily fixed. Great picture - like I said, I love your shading, and the dragon's facial expression is excellent.

superyoshi888: Am I right in assuming you use Photoshop to draw? It might've been a good idea to use the lasso tool and drag some stuff around to center it, but that's me being nitpicky because I absolutely cannot stand stuff when it's not centered. I've ruined many a picture because of that obsession ;-;
Anyway, onto the actual critique. You've got the light source right, but it wouldn't do any harm to deepen the shading with darker colours. It's a good start, though! Pichu's neck is rather thick where it connects the head and the body. You may want to erase a few of the lines defining where the limbs join the body, because at the moment it gives a feeling that they're kinda pasted on, and on the separate head I think you've positioned the eyes a bit too high, but otherwise it's good.

Day two. Enjoy.

Stripper_for_Sale_by_Moon_Panther.png

Last edited:
December 3rd. I hate art blocks, I can't draw good enough pictures for this DraMo! So, you'll have to deal with crap like this for a while...

Click for full picture, as usual.

EDIT: I think my picture's crappines made the preview not work...

superyoshi888: Am I right in assuming you use Photoshop to draw? It might've been a good idea to use the lasso tool and drag some stuff around to center it, but that's me being nitpicky because I absolutely cannot stand stuff when it's not centered. I've ruined many a picture because of that obsession ;-;
Anyway, onto the actual critique. You've got the light source right, but it wouldn't do any harm to deepen the shading with darker colours. It's a good start, though! Pichu's neck is rather thick where it connects the head and the body. You may want to erase a few of the lines defining where the limbs join the body, because at the moment it gives a feeling that they're kinda pasted on, and on the separate head I think you've positioned the eyes a bit too high, but otherwise it's good.

GIMP. I'm too poor to afford Photoshop(and I'm not exactly the type of person to "borrrow" it from the internet).

Anyways, thanks for the crit. I was just trying to give it a sketchy look, but I have an obsession with things not being colored unless its a pencil sketch.

And I have anatomy problems. I still can't draw a proper Pichu, and don't even get me started on my trouble with drawing people. I can do a nice Kirby, though. XD

Hey guys. Didn't know about this no one ever invites me D : so I'ma crash the party.

Tomorrow.

Kay?

Ahhhhh, I barely finished in time. See, I went with College to the Imax cinema so I didn't really get a chance to draw anything till the evening, which meant I had to both draw and edit the whole thing within the space of six hours. Hence why there's no shading and it's extremely rushed, with flaws everywhere.

Still I like it anyway.

Day 3 - A normal life

Again, I'm really sorry but I really don't have time to crit anything right now, but rest assured I've looked at everyone's submissions and they're all awesome =)

Back
Top Bottom