• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Relative strength of humans vs. Pokémon

Re: Relative strength of humans vs. Pokémon

there are pokemon that humans are definitely more powerful than. However, when you reach a pokemon like Charizard, you're not going to stand a chance.

And Brock, if you go by the manga, then, yes. Lance would love to kill someone. A lot of people, for that matter. He, Agatha, Lerelei, and not so much Bruno were evil to begin with. Lance wanted to make a new world order. *coughCyruscough* He was going to use Lugia to destroy mankind. (well, i think it was Lugia he was trying to use-you never actually saw it, and they never named it, really.)

So why are you not allowed to walk in the tall grass full of pigeons and caterpillars without a fire-breathing lizard for protection?

Because the person blocking your way is retarded and/or sometimes a small child who doesn't know any better or has paranoid parents or a really paranoid person.

what if all those caterpillars gang up on you? then what? or if one of those pigeons poops in your eye?

exactly. have you ever been ambushed by a stray pack of caterpillars? It's not pretty. and getting the smell of bird poop out of your eyeball is murder.

Hyper beam could be the only attack of its kind that dragonite knows, and is the one that could be toned down the most. Maybe the way it used it, it didn't have to recharge afterward?

That's the thing, though... Hyper Beam just doesn't seem like an attack that can be toned down. And even if it can, it certainly wouldn't be able to go as low as other attacks. It just wouldn't be a Hyper Beam if it wasn't pushing the Pokémon's power as far as it can go, or even beyond the normal limit (hence the "hyper" in the name.)

And the Dragonite didn't really do anything else for a while after the attack, it just followed Lance down the stairs... so there's no indication that it was some kind of special low-power Hyper Beam with no recharge time, if that's even possible. Walking down the stairs doesn't mean it wasn't recharging, since the recharge apparently doesn't completely prevent the Pokémon from moving (they can still avoid attacks during that turn... they just can't gather up enough energy to pull off any attacks of their own.)

Plus, the Dragonite apparently knows Fly in HG/SS. So if it wanted to just get rid of the Black Belt without the risk of using a more powerful move, why not just grab the guy, fly up to Lake of Rage to dunk him, and then come back?

So why are you not allowed to walk in the tall grass full of pigeons and caterpillars without a fire-breathing lizard for protection?

It's actually the freaking rodents that are running around all over the goddamn place. They bite you once and you get rabies or they mentally scar you with there derpness.

Wait, weren't they inside? In that case, Fly couldn't have been used. But I dunno, maybe someone should get Butterfree to write an essay about it.

Yeah, it puzzles me how the Black Belt survived Dragonite's Hyper Beam... then again, Team Rocket keep surviving Pikachu's thunderbolts and they survive, don't they? I just think that normal Pokemon (including pseudo-legends) do a lot of damage but not too much, and legendaries have almost deadly attacks.

Of course, comparing a game thing to an anime thing is a little strange, but still... the anime isn't so different, I guess. (I know all the type tidbits and such)

Wait, weren't they inside? In that case, Fly couldn't have been used.

The building has a door. All it'd take is to drag the guy outside the door and then fly him off somewhere. Just Hyper Beam'ing him into a wall is probably quicker, though.

then again, Team Rocket keep surviving Pikachu's thunderbolts and they survive, don't they?

Tasers/stun-guns hurt like hell, usually knock you over, and stun you... but they're almost never lethal unless you have something like a pre-existing heart condition or a pacemaker that the electricity can interfere with. It's not too surprising that electric attacks, which never seem to do anything worse than knock another Pokémon unconscious or give them a few minor surface burns, would almost always be non-lethal.

That's like, the one thing the anime actually did realistically. XD If you ignore the whole randomly-flying-off-into-the-distance thing, anyway.

I just think that normal Pokemon (including pseudo-legends) do a lot of damage but not too much, and legendaries have almost deadly attacks.

Exactly how deadly they are probably depends on the legendary... I can't really picture something like Cresselia killing anybody, with its not-so-high attack stats and mostly healing-based powers. And what would a newly-hatched baby Manaphy or Phione be able to do? Not a whole lot, I'm guessing.

But yeah, legendaries are usually much higher leveled than other wild Pokémon... so, in non-game-mechanics terms, they're either freakishly strong mutants, or they're older and more experienced, or they actually go out of their way to train themselves rather than just gaining strength slowly as they grow. And they don't seem to be as used to having humans around either... put those two together, and they probably would be a lot be more likely to actually kill someone than most Pokémon would. If their attacks could be toned down, they probably wouldn't do it anyway, because they'd be so used to fighting other powerful things (other legendaries and other higher-leveled Pokémon, or Pokémon belonging to strong trainers trying to catch them) that would be able to beat them up if they held back.

I think something like a Metagross or Tyranitar would generally be more powerful than a lot of the weaker legendaries (like Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres, Raikou/Entei/Suicune, the Regis minus Gigas, Mew, etc.) that aren't really anything more than just a rare and stronger-than-average species, though... just because the rare exceptions like Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, Arceus, and Mewtwo are way beyond the level of other Pokémon doesn't mean that all legendaries should be that high up there in power.

It's actually the freaking rodents that are running around all over the goddamn place. They bite you once and you get rabies or they mentally scar you with there derpness.

Bringing up the rodents actually reminds me of something... people in real life are often afraid of tiny weak things even though they can't actually hurt them in any significant way (unless you happen to be one of the extra unlucky people who just happens to get bit by the rabid one), so why wouldn't people in the Pokémon world be the same way?

I mean, why else would Professor Birch be afraid of some random level 3 Zigzagoon or Poochyena that shows up? They're small, weak Pokémon that only have weak moves like Tackle at that point, so there's no way that one of them would be any real threat to a healthy adult human's life, not even in Super Exaggeration Land where a somewhat-trained Eevee can kill you easily.

He's just afraid of them in the same way that a lot of humans are afraid of mice or snakes or bats: stupid irrational fear, probably picked up from several generations of relatives with the same stupid irrational fear, with an extra layer of fear of disease/poison plopped ontop of it to make it even worse. Even though all it'd really take to scare one off--or even knock one out-- would be to kick at it a couple times instead of running away.

Actually, I heard from this guy who heard from this other guy that hyenas are pretty dangerous.

If Rhydon is capable of crushing diamonds with its horn, imagine what it could do to a human skull.

a Metang can bring down a jet by standing (er,floating) in front of it. And Nidoking can snap telephone poles like toothpicks.

Diamonds are actually pretty fragile. It doesn't take a whole lot of blunt/crushing force to damage them. Scratching diamonds would be more impressive, but...

Anyway, you can't really take the Pokédex entries as fact, since they're extremely inconsistent and a lot of them are exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness. One moment they're making some Pokémon sound so amazingly dumb that it's surprising they didn't go extinct (Rhyhorn/Linoone being completely unable to change direction in mid-run) or making them sound even weaker than the wimpiest real-life fish (Magikarp being unable to swim against even a weak current) or talking about a Pokémon making a pro wrestler sick with its poison as if this is supposed to be something impressive, and then after that they're trying to turn even the weakest Pokémon into some kind of superheroes.

And sometimes they even exaggerate in both directions for the same Pokémon! There is just no way that a Magikarp can be so weak that it can't swim against a slow current and so powerful that it can jump over an entire mountain with Splash.

Actually, I heard from this guy who heard from this other guy that hyenas are pretty dangerous.

Adult hyenas, sure. Foot-long baby ones, not so much.

A Mightyena probably would be dangerous... but a level 3 Poochyena would be just as harmless as you'd expect a foot-long sorta-puppy-like thing to be. A Poochyena would pretty much the same situation as the Eevee: if low-leveled, it'd be weak and essentially harmless; if high-leveled, it'd be like a small dog with very strong jaws.

Last edited:

A little off topic, I know, but I think I know why someone would assume something like that. They probably thought, "If humans could overpower Pokemon, why do they hide behind them instead of going out and punching each other themselves?" To which I have two answers:

1) "It's something for sport. Why do you think they give money to the winner? It would be sort of the equivalent of a dog fight, but instead of being Barbaric, barbaric, barbaric, everyone loves it and the government is decided by who is better at Pokemon battling."

2) "It's a video game, stupid. Stop overthinking it."

A little off topic, I know, but I think I know why someone would assume something like that.

The question that started this thread is "why do some people assume that Pokémon are so much stronger than humans no matter what, even when it doesn't make any sense for them to be stronger?" An opinion on the reasons why people look at it that way is about as on-topic as you can get!

They probably thought, "If humans could overpower Pokemon, why do they hide behind them instead of going out and punching each other themselves?" To which I have two answers:

1) "It's something for sport. Why do you think they give money to the winner? It would be sort of the equivalent of a dog fight, but instead of being Barbaric, barbaric, barbaric, everyone loves it and the government is decided by who is better at Pokemon battling."

2) "It's a video game, stupid. Stop overthinking it."

Yeah, I'd say the answer to the "why don't humans beat each other up instead of using Pokémon?" thing is a little bit of both of those.

With most trainers, it's option #1; they're not having Pokémon fights just for the sake of getting into a fight (except maybe the Bikers and other violent-seeming guys)... they're doing it for fun, to strengthen the bonds with their own Pokémon by working together, and to prove that their Pokémon are tougher than the other guy's. And the technology for healing Pokémon seems to have advanced far beyond the technology for healing injured humans... so it'd be easier to fix things up if a Pokémon actually got seriously hurt, compared to how much trouble it'd be if one of the trainers did.

With Team Rocket and such, it's more of option #2, because realistically they would attack the kid instead of just giving up after all of their Pokémon are knocked out... they just didn't want to put in a whole new set of game mechanics for directly fighting a trainer instead of just their Pokémon. Plus it's a game series mostly targeted toward kids, and the overprotective parents would probably whine about it if their kids could make a Gyarados or Steelix attack regular, unarmed humans... even if they are gang members.

Linoone isn't dumb. It can't change directions easily because of the way it runs. I thin we can all agree a crocdile in real life is NOT dumb at all. It is ((one of for some people)) the craftiest and most intelligent predators alive. Yet when it runs it can't make a 90 degree turn on a dime. That has nothing to do with brain power. It is because of its stubby legs and the way they are positioned.

Linoone's legs are somewhat stubby like a crocodillian's so it can't turn easily either.

And Magikarp MUST swim against a current. I don't know entry says it can't but several say it is strong enough it can and that is how it evolves.

Back
Top Bottom