• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2010

ACTUALLY I have something to ask you. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO SATURDAY NIGHT your other project that we talked about a few years(?) back? The one with like, weird shit happening because the universe was all screwy? That one sounded p cool.

oh, yeah. i don't know, i didn't end up fleshing it out as much as i would've liked. by the time i realized it was nanowrimo, i had already written a page of stuff and i was like 'hey i guess i'll just carry this out'.

funny you bring it up, though, because i had actually thought about it the other day.

Oh, right. Well I'd like to read it if you ever finish! Actually I'd quite like to read what you're writing now because it looks interesting, so um. GET ON IT

In NaNoNews I'm probably going to hit 10k later on today. I've just reached chapter five, and chapter four is where Damien is convinced by a fucking long conversation to actually join the Watchers and leave his old life (mostly) behind. It's pretty cool because I got to be all EXPOSITION as well as integrating bits of character development and blah blah blah. I think my pacing is going pretty well, too.

Sadly there's not that much gaying happening yet, although Katheryn did allude to Robert's sexuality during said fucking long conversation. Seriously though the chapter is like almost entirely conversation and it's still over 2000 words long.

Um. I need to describe more.

Just got ~1700 words in under the deadline. I didn't really need to do that much at once, but I still don't like the site telling me that I've underachieved today. :p

Better yet, though, it turns out that I don't have jury duty tomorrow after all! As long as I can get a bit of homework out of the way, I have pretty much all day tomorrow and Friday to write. In theory I could probably actually finish by Friday, and part of me really really wants to, but that sounds like a terrible idea if only because my oldperson hands would literally fall off and I rather like them where they are. :p I'm definitely going to be writing like hell, though!

Wordbarfing ftw!

The plot of fic is moving at a snail's pace because the main character is too busy angsting. Stop angsting, you! >:( Seriously. I mean, you spent the better part of 13 pages feeling sorry for yourself and refusing to talk about your lolmysteriouspast and it's even pissing me off. And I'm the author. Fine, it's not serious angsting, but hello, there's a plot I would like to get to...

Although some random side character who was going to stay unimportant suddenly decided that he would not like to be a minor character and has put his butt on a fat plot hole and filled it up. Which is totally cool because this character is not angsty and I kinda like him already. I just hope that he doesn't turn angsty.

Harlequin said:
Um. I need to describe more.

DESCRIPTION FAILURES HIGH-FIVE!

Also, Hiikaru you're so positive how can you do this :(

And everyone else, your excerpts are so good... It's making me want to go back and edit all the crap that is my prose and stick in some proper descriptions instead of lolmetaphorlol and hack down all my Hawthorne sentences with their five thousand commas and crud.

Oh fine, maybe it's not that bad, but my inner editor is not a happy camper right now. Although it seems like I might be getting to the start of the plot tomorrow (if my main character stops angsting), so I'm kinda excited.

Anyone else finding themselves doing a lot of random foreshadowing and symbolism without planning to?

Up to 6618 (almost to Thursday's target wordcount already!) and I'm still not even done with Chapter 2.

It's looking like this one's going to be one of those stories with long (3000+ word) chapters. Which isn't really a bad thing in this case, since I've only got 6 chapters planned out for sure and enough ideas for maybe another 5 or 6 after that. Assuming all the chapters end up around the length of Chapter 1, I'd get to 42,000 if I finish 12 chapters... hmm. Maybe I'll actually manage to get to 50,000 this time, assuming I don't randomly lose interest somewhere halfway through.

The first time I read this, I missed the "for" and thought that the story was about someone who wants to be a chef that goes around trying to find a way to make every Pokémon into something edible. XD
...Me too, actually. When I read that.

Zuu, you should. c: It's really interesting to see how other people's stories are coming along~

I'm usually really hesitant when it comes to showing my writing, but I guess it wouldn't hurt much. I'm just not always the best at it. :x

I had always dreamed of a day when some huge event would occur and my life as I knew it would change in the most fantastical way. Though, I knew this was all it could be, a dream. I would block it from my mind, but it would always return, trying to detach me from a bleak reality. I suppose I could not help wanting something different than what I had; ever since I was a child I’ve had a big imagination. This was a huge element of who I was, albeit being somewhat childish to rely on desperate fantasies. Fate had other plans for me and crushed these recurring images in my mind, as if it were trying to mature me. The incredible dream that I so longed for fell into ruin and I told myself I shouldn’t hope for anymore stupid delusions of grandeur.

Dust was thick in the air, and every breath felt suffocating and dry. I could hear the roaring of the engine and my body was vibrating and shaking as myself and a group of strangers sitting next to me were being transported. The unfamiliarity was eerie almost, I sat down the whole way staring down into my lap, glad my hair was a veil shielding my face. It was difficult to see anything or anyone in the small room, except for silhouettes, and there was a harsh coldness from the steel walls. If there was a truth though, it was that the only thing that we probably shared was tattered clothing and a few wounds here and there. The moving vehicle came to a sudden, unexpected halt, which sent my back crashing against the back doors.

No one even came forward to see if I was okay, since they were probably terrified of everything that had happened or was happening. Honestly, I felt the same way. I had no clue where I was or what my future would hold. I was definitely sure that I was in pain though. I lifted myself from the floor just as the back doors creaked open. The noise could only be compared to that of nails scratching a chalkboard, and I cringed as a faint light from the moon poured into the compartment.

“We’re here,” a soldier, who couldn’t have been much older than myself announced. He was standing outside of the truck, waiting for us to come out. They had saved us, so they couldn’t have sent us here to our own death, right?

Aaaand, I've also hit my goal of 6000 words, and I'm thinking I may keep going a bit. :]
Whoa, your story sounds pretty interesting, actually. And you're not as bad as you say! You've got nice description and certainly sound better than my tripe, ahaha.

DESCRIPTION FAILURES HIGH-FIVE!

Anyone else finding themselves doing a lot of random foreshadowing and symbolism without planning to?
WHOOO I FAIL AT DESCRIPTION TOO DOUBLE HIGH-FIVE!

Yeah. I do this like... every single time I even attempt to write a story. I'm doing it right now!

And I love your enthusiasm, Hikaru. It's so contagious! I didn't want to write today at first, but then you were all GO ON YOU CAN DO IT and I was all OKAY MUST WRITE BECAUSE HIKARU SAYS SO.

Now I'm at 10K! I got so many ideas that I had to split one segment into two, now I already have my outline for the next one... and possibly the next one after that. Whoa, I've never planned so ahead in the story. Since I already have an outline for the next segment, I might write it up tonight. Might not. We'll see. For now, I'm gonna do the usual checking for errors thing I do. Segment 5 is sort of boring though... and I keep having an urge to add some fantastical scenes (since my story switches between realism and fantasy a lot) to it since every chapter has a mixture of both. But... I'll just leave it with realism. The next part's gonna get really crazy and fantastical anyways.

So okay, I've decided, eh, why not. I'll show you guys a tiny and very sucky excerpt of my writing which I usually don't show people WARNING IT MAKES NO SENSE. And yes, the main character's name is Girl or sometimes the Girl. For now, anyways. She gets a name eventually... aha. It's... symbolic. Of something. Oh and it's from Segment 3.

“…This is all YOUR fault. I told you, you ugly little girl… if you hadn’t taken her here… NONE of this would’ve happened. I hate you… I hate you… and I hate her too. That disgusting betrayer. You think you can imprison me, and then you come back… and this happens.” That awful shadow espoused her words drenched in pure rage and sorrow, alongside hatred and guilt. Girl couldn’t take it, she felt herself collapsing again. There were the tears… she cried out once again in that same agony and pain she had on that horrible day… when the cruel woman’s blade almost pierced her and she was all alone.

Then the shadow charged towards her, but she was pushed back by the magic barrier which appeared and surrounded Girl. It deflected her completely. Well, if she couldn’t break it… she’d have to have help. She snapped her fingers and called out: “Trinity Flame! Make her feel what she deserves...”

And then appeared the red haired woman in a burst of flame once again, a look of cold fury in her gray eyes. She swung her fiery sword at Girl, who decided this time to run away. Down the aisle, Trinity Flame chased her, the shadow following close behind blasting Darkness in her wake. Chairs collapsed like dead dolls, others became covered in blackness. Her barrier was still around her, but she knew it wouldn’t last this assault. She… she needed to get out… out of this place…

But as she approached the red door, it swung shut.

“It’s time for your end.” Trinity Flame leapt forward and impaled the sword through a weak spot in her barrier. It made a small hole and went through, but the hole was not large enough to admit the entire sword. She pulled it back out and backed off. Girl was crying loudly now, tears flowing freely… and the chaotic colours were starting to overwhelm this room as they had the last.

“P-please… why is it… al-always my fault?” Sputtered Girl, sheer suffering within her voice.

“Because you are evil and wrong.” Then the shadow grimaced a sort of rough grin, as she shot out a blast of Darkness at the barrier. The Darkness went inside the hole…

And straight to the Girl’s heart.

Everyone's excerpts are really good and making me feel extremely inferior. :( damn you all.
Also Zuu thank you! I am actually trying to make this story not gay but I am rather unsure about how much I will succeed

HERE ARE THE CURRENT SCORES FOR THE WORD WAR just for fun:
Team A: 32197
Team B: 51905
Team C: 44144
not postin' this because my team's winning or anything
really

I DON'T LOVE YOU TEAM A SLACKERS.

GET A MOVE ON!! SUPERBIRD IS KICKING ALL YO' BUTTS.

I AM TOTALLY GOING TO BLITZ NANO THIS WEEKEND

I'm nearly at 10k so I think if I write all day on Saturday I'll be able to get to 20k. :D

You know what sucks?
Having writer's block in the middle of a chapter and then your mom seeming to think you're her bitch and you're ~always available~ to watch your annoying little siblings sucks.

I've been waaaaay behind consistently since this thing started and then after I have to babysit I feel like I don't have any energy to write at all. Ffffffffff-

I'm still on 2855 because I got nothing written yesterday because I was debating and haven't had the chance to start today because we had to rehearse the entire second act of Oliver and then I was only home five minutes before I had to go to acupuncture.

Wow. I did them all in a single chapter? That's a first. Seriously, 1,719 words in Interlude 1. That's a really long chapter compared to all the others in my novel. But so. That leaves my total around 8,800, I think. Updating~

Today is a slow day for me, I'll probably jump on it later tonight. I have 7000+ words, but I wanna get at least 8,500 to 9,000 and 10k by Friday.

Currently at 9,764 words according to the NaNo counter thing. The past couple of lines I wrote contain descriptions of hot man on rusty tank action you will not want to miss.

Back
Top Bottom