• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2010

It's over 8000 now! 8586 to be specific. And due to the whole "1667 words per day" thing, the site wants me to write another 21 words even though I'm already 200-some words over today's target wordcount. XD

Anyway... Chapter 2 is finally done, and I've gotten started on Chapter 3. So far it's looking like Chapter 3 will actually have to be split into two chapters, with one for "the vampires plan for the trip and then go driving off down the road in Pugh's Bloodmobile" and another for "the vampires go to somewhere in the Deep South and meet inbred redneck vampires and the KKK."

Only 3553. Curse you, writer's block! (Though, I did manage to be able to get in some extra words by adding some footnotes.) I'm gonna try and finish up today with 4500 and try and get caught up by the end of Sunday. At least I get an extra hour of writing.

No writing today, unfortunately. Out all day. But that is what weekends are for. And I got assigned an english project, and part of it is to write a new chapter to the book, and write a fictional letter from a character. Yay, more wordcount. :)

I'm a little behind with my word count, but I can make it up this weekend. The part of the story that I'm at right now is like trudging through a foot of snow. I have to really think and work hard to progress.

Here's a little snippet.

Being a rash girl of 15, she immediately jumped to the most logical conclusion.

[FONT=&quot]“Did you find a sharp knife and a piece of wood and carve a life size replica of the human foot and cover it in vinegar and sharp rocks in order to stab and kill the Grimer that was there?”[/FONT]

You should totally add me to one of the Word War teams. :'(

I AM DOING SUPER WELL I'm at around 7000 words and I'm about to go to bed and also I skipped two days like a winner. Also I just got bored and actually worked on writing my main plot some more just now. Not that ... I really have a main plot ... I do have continuity, though! And consistency!! And -- I keep writing little scenes and getting most of what matters down but really it's more like a series of ficbits in the same general universe so far. And that is fine with me. A lot of this will likely stay ficbitty even if I finish.

Sorry, surskitty, I didn't have time to do it before. (Is there anyone else I missed? I know some people posted links but they didn't say they actually wanted in on the war, so...) We need the help though! Why is our team the only one with people that aren't even trying this year :( Come on, you guys! Team A won last year! Why are you ruining a good thing? You can do it! Go read some of Hiikaru's posts!

I ended up... doing laundry and fighting with my music/media players most of Thursday (though I found the shirt I got from Nintendo World and thought I'd never see again!) and fidgeting with researchy stuff Friday, but I still managed to write some and am still almost a full day ahead, so not too shabby! I'd really like to get a lot more done this weekend, though I've probably put off some homework for long enough. Meh. Oh, well. Back to writing, I guess! I'd really like to hit 50,000 at least kind of early this year!

EDIT @ TES: Oh, that's pretty cool. I was the bartender at the Three Cripples, among other things. I had to have multiple roles, too, but then again my school was tiny and we had a class of seventeen, so... ouch. I hope it goes well!

EDIT2: Oh, by the way, did anyone else read the pep talk from Mercedes Lackey? It had some interesting things to say about fanfiction. :3

Last edited:
You guys are right! Battle scenes are really fun to write.

I would've gotten more words today if not for the fact that I took a nap in the afternoon and woke up about three hours later. I then had orchestra practice until 10, and parents staring over my shoulders until 11, which left me with only 1 hour to write, plus the half-hour I snuck in before dinner. :( Curses. At least the story's getting interesting now, and I'm typing at a faster speed than before.

Why is our team the only one with people that aren't even trying this year :( Come on, you guys! Team A won last year! Why are you ruining a good thing? You can do it! Go read some of Hiikaru's posts!

Because Team B > Team A.

And now time for me to sleep because it's like 1:00 in the morning already lalala.

My expression when I try to write is something like (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻ forever

Because Team B > Team A.
hells yeah (ps you are silly my snippets are no reason to feel inferior because they are not very good! :( linooneeey)

so yesterday I only wrote 1400-some words so I officially failed yesterday despite having a cumulative wordcount of 11,489.
and today i feel no motivation to write and i want to draw instead.
all because i am out of portugal and back with a steady internet connection.
today i still need 1148 words and i don't know what i could write that wouldn't end up sounding like they're in highschool instead of on an army base.

MY USUAL LAZINESS CURSE IS HITTING ME
5e7odv.gif

I'M GONNA TAKE A SHOWER AND SLAP SOME SENSE INTO MYSELF

Noooo I got behind on posts! I think I have everyone here I was considering saying something to, though!

Got 2010 on the third, and 2342 yesterday. I have only 224 so far today and I am writing a post here instead of working on it even though it's way past bed time because aaaah.

But I'm still keeping up! And so are a lot of you guys! You can make it! :D

It was the kid's fault anyway—I just don't see why the bus driver couldn't have waited until after the route was done to take her back. Oh, and my bus driver is a woman ;P

...It's starting to feel like sort of a chore to write the full 1,667 words every day. Probably in part because my chapters are short, but...Well, I joined it this year mainly to type up the story. I actually probably won't participate next year.

*she
Agh, genders.

Still! I got on the wrong bus once when I was younger and it was extremely traumatic and I probably would have thought a bus driver who turned around was awesome. :(

It does get to be a chore after a while. When I'm doing words daily, I tend to start really feeling like writing it once I hit around whatever the requirement is (even if it's only one hundred). So if I keep going just after that, I can get a lot more done! If you're beating everyone on your team though, you probably don't need these sneaky tricks. Good job!

So. Barely met the minimum yesterday, and I'm starting to realize that 1667/day is a LOT. Especially with an English paper to do and freaking Poetry Out Loud. Dear Mrs. Chadwell: why must you torture us with completely irrelevant boring stuff? I'm probably just going to pull the minimal 400 words out of my ass and focus on more important stuff. We get to watch Alice In Wonderland tomorrow, but. like. I wanna write without distractions. :/ I guess this is why loud music was invented.

I have essays too. Don't feel too bad - four hundred is significantly less than 1667! If you can write that much in a day, you can complete a short essay easily.

Sometimes you just have to tune out the distractions! Try going a little while without the music and see if you can get used to that. Also, don't stop writing when they happen. If you get into the habit, you can do it!

Possibly because two of team A's members don't have any words...

PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE ANY WORDS.

Where are you???

A couple of words shouldn't be hard! Just sit down and write one word. Go! Actually, you should be able to get at least four. "Once upon a time." Come on, you guys! If you even put up one word, you'll be so much more successful! You can do it!

ONLY 1000 WORDS LEFT FOR TODAY YEEEEEAH

I AM SO PUMPED AND THIS IS SO FUN AND I SHOULDN'T INTERACT WITH PEOPLE WHEN I DO THIS.

But then how will you tell everyone what a good job you're doing?

Egh I've only written about 200 words so far. =( I've gotten off to a horribly slow start... hopefully I'll have some time soon to get some more words in and get myself really hooked in the story.

Everyone here knows you're a good writer - you can definitely do this. The start is slow, but you just have to redo the math to figure out how much you need to write now and keep going. Stay positive!

Anyone else finding themselves doing a lot of random foreshadowing and symbolism without planning to?

Actually, yes. Which is weird, because I'm normally pretty terrible at foreshadowing! I have also been doing a little more of this with my other daily writing thing, not on quite the same level.

Trying to figure out how to consciously abuse this power.

Everyone should follow @NaNoWordSprints on twitter, if you have it. :D it helps me!

Yay! Sprinting is difficult to get into, but useful!

Also, I have trouble with looking at the clock all the time and I don't seem to own a proper timer, so I found this!

http://timberfrog.com/countdown/

Very useful.

infinite love to you!

Also, Hiikaru you're so positive how can you do this :(

And I love your enthusiasm, Hikaru. It's so contagious! I didn't want to write today at first, but then you were all GO ON YOU CAN DO IT and I was all OKAY MUST WRITE BECAUSE HIKARU SAYS SO.

You can do it! Go read some of Hiikaru's posts!

<3

You can do it!!! :D

I've barely written anything today because I can't think of a word for my goody two shoes medieval noblewoman to say about the huge pickle she just got herself into. (I even have a way to get her out of it, too! But I can't continue without that one word!)
Edit: Problem solved, she's using "biscuits". Yeah. I'm bad at this.

Last edited:
ffs out of context my intimidation scene totally reads like a gay moment. Especially when the main character tries to fight back later on but I haven't written that yet.

‘Sorry, Yuri, didn’t hear you there,’ Vsevolod said, scooping some water out of the pail with his hands and downing it to remove the taste of the plant-based toothpaste they got in the rations. He stood, and saw Iosif was shadowing Yuri, standing behind him like some sort of bodyguard. Vsevolod looked thoughtful. ‘Close? We get along, yes.’

The day after Vsevolod’s experience, he had gone up to Grigori and talked during their shift, like they had done the day before, and this trend continued for the following days until they eventually started walking about together during off-hours, sometimes chatting, sometimes getting on with their private hobbies, which were reading and carving, respectively.

Yuri frowned.

‘You just get along?’ he took a step closer, Iosif mirroring it. ‘Are you sure?’

Vsevolod’s brow furrowed. ‘What do you mean?’
11qgwnn.gif

I got to around 14,000-something last night, but couldn't post because my mind was too tired at that point to do anything coherent or sensical. Also, TCoD wouldn't load for me. But yeah! I'm so happy, this is the furthest I've ever gotten and I STILL don't feel like giving up and like this story is getting scmaltzy. I don't know what it is... but I guess it's just the way I'm writing it. This is possibly the furthest I've ever gotten in a story in my... entire life!

So I need 5161 words by midnight tonight to get back on schedule. Probably not going to happen, especially since I have to leave for musical performance in half an hour. That goes until nine-ish. But I will have my laptop with me, so I'll be able to write some.

...Yeah I have very few words because I didn't plan out this story enough D:

damn it I should've went with the ones where I actually knew what I was gonna do.

Back
Top Bottom