• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 7]

Re: TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 3]

Oh crap, this isn't good D:
While we did get one Mafia member out of the way, we lost all the Mysterious Informants and our Vigilante. I'm sensing a bit of a pattern here, basically all those who roleclaimed (other than Vixie) had been killed so far. I'm going to assume that Vixie might have been healed by a doctor or protected by a bodyguard?
So if you want to live, do not roleclaim XD

Seeing as all the Mysterious Informants were killed, perhaps they had a bit of a cult-like role? Maybe one of them could have been targeted by a Mafia member and all were killed as a result?

Yeah, I think we should go with "nobody roleclaim". Although there might be a number limit - Ketsu didn't die, after all.

I'm more inclined to believe Ketsu was telling the truth about her role since she was the first to link Expospeak with Mysterious Informant, iirc. Either she was forgotten (if this is the case, sorry Ketsu) by the killer, or protected, or there is that limit; in light of that, I'm willing to bet on it being someone's power.

Since it was basically a mass murder of innocents, it's probably a mafia member or a singleton. Anyway, at least the majority of us are its enemies.

Anyway, other guesses... are probably not much guesswork. Fruity Walkerloops by overdose and Mawile by Fruity Walkerloops sounds most likely. Although Walker's Wonderful Toys are weirdly variable if one caused brain damage and one is a knife. And if Walker was killed by overdose, were there others left to protect Vixie?

Erm, come to think of it, we haven't really seen anyone but sreservoir get shot. Possible significance?

At the risk of dying horribly tonight...I am also a Mysterious Informant. My information was the Police Are Useless, but are very consistently so.

So if one fesses, not all die. Since I'm clearly still alive.

Alternatively, Butterfree could be fucking with us.

Ew.

I'm not explicitly roleclaiming because I don't want to be autokilled but...

Seeing as all the Mysterious Informants were killed,
Definitely not all.

perhaps they had a bit of a cult-like role?
Not according to what I was told.

Maybe one of them could have been targeted by a Mafia member and all were killed as a result?
Doesn't work like that either.

I won't give my role trope because (A) again, I don't want to be autokilled, and (B) as far as I can tell it's entirely flavor and won't help us with anything except pointing to what tropes might be killing tropes. Which doesn't do us any good when we can just kill them anyway.

Teh Ebil Snorlax said:
At the risk of dying horribly tonight...I am also a Mysterious Informant. My information was the Police Are Useless, but are very consistently so.
Ew. So I guess at least one of our Inspectors (and possibly all of them) is the kind who gets the opposite result of the truth?

Poor Inspectors. :(

And oh my god, what the dick? Did we have some Death Note shenanigans going on here? All of them died from heart attacks...?

It is very likely that Walker died of an overdose :( but he managed to kill Mawile first, so that's good! One mafia down!

@Jack_the_PumpkinKing: ... so you're a Mysterious Informant. *clap* That was very ambiguous. But that means... hmm... will you die during the night now that you've said that? That's an odd power...

@Jack_the_PumpkinKing: ... so you're a Mysterious Informant. *clap* That was very ambiguous. But that means... hmm... will you die during the night now that you've said that? That's an odd power...

I'm hoping that not actually saying the names of my tropes will save me. (Of course, that's assuming that the people-who-roleclaim-die-of-a-heart-attack is the GM discouraging us from roleclaiming rather than some player's doing, which seemed reasonable until Kratos pointed out Ketsu.)

And there was nothing in our powers to indicate that we'd die upon roleclaim, at least unless it was implied and I didn't catch it.

That's possible. I hope you're okay! :( I would ask to see your role's flavourtext, but if you'd rather not risk dying...

And yeah, I did notice that the only shooting was res. ... The mafia must reaaaaally suck. Especially since Kratos isn't even dead yet GOD. Silly mafia!

But I think we should try not to place too much significance on the death flavour. Butterfree did say that they wouldn't be reliable. :S

Well, the results of last night's inspection are in :| You may rest assured that blazheirio889 is not mafia.

Bachuru said:
And finally, as they slowly realize there are still a few people unaccounted for, they rush to the final houses only to discover three unfortunate roleclaimers dead from sudden, mysterious heart attacks.

She mentioned roleclaimers specifically and they seemed to die in sync? Perhaps only the Mysterious Informants who claimed to be Informants died and there are still others?

Well, that's a shame if we're not going to get any more information... (mostly because people don't realise that if the innocents win, they still win even if they're dead, but whatever.)

Interesting though. Looks like the flavourtext definitely implies that Walker managed to kill Mawile before his untimely demise. Which is always a plus! Unless it's not true, but it seems odd that he would have a 'triumphant smile' if he missed the target...

(Jack, that was Kusari who first mentioned Ketsu, fyi, not me--this is the first time I'm posting today.)

Vixie ♥;451417 said:
She mentioned roleclaimers specifically and they seemed to die in sync? Perhaps only the Mysterious Informants who claimed to be Informants died and there are still others?

But Ketsu didn't die, and she claimed pretty explicitly; in fact, she was the first one to point out the Expospeak power, while Zhorken never did. I'd think that would have made the deaths more likely to be Ketsu-Skylark-Mai as opposed to Zhorken-Skylark-Mai. Hm.

I don't think this was Butterchuru's doing, personally. Again, Ketsu was more detailed than Zhorken was, and if it was just "stop roleclaiming" then by all rights she should have died as well--and I find it hard to believe that a GM would place a limit on the number of players who get modkilled at once (rulebreaking is rulebreaking, after all, and I wouldn't let someone who broke rules keep playing even for one more day). It is probable that the MIs are all linked in some way, but I really can't fathom what that is or why who ends up dead seems to be so selective. Somehow I doubt that that many singletons or mafia factions/mafia killing roles would go after one-shot-power-only-marginally-helpful innocents when they could have tried to pick off someone else, though, so there must have been some reason that three of them died at once. I wonder if there's a killing role that can hit more than one target (presumably a limited number of times)?

I am again going to ask that the MIs stop claiming unless they have something of worth to say; Jack and TES is more than enough for today. Not even any more "well I'm not actually going to say it, but..." claims. I'm now pretty confident that MIs are more or less the "vanilla" roles that were distributed to those without bigger tropes (unless there really is some multi-death clause, which would be... odd for vanilla, but I doubt that that's the case), so there must be others out there. As such, all MIs please shut up and let's see if anything happens to TES and Jack before you all go risking yourselves, too.

Ketsu, do you know why you might have survived (and possibly why any other MIs might have survived) and not the last three? Jack's not-claim makes it sound like there wasn't any such information explicitly given, but I dunno, you are the "lone" survivor...

And Jack, since you've all but claimed anyway, is there any way you can share your information with us without naming the trope itself?

In closing, some observations: Mawile's closet was "filled with expensive Italian suits", but there was no mention of the Legitimate Businessman's Social Club card. Just Butterchuru not bothering to bring it up, or... ?

The police are useless, hrm... that could mean bad news for our inspectors, but it could also mean that they all just have ridiculous restrictions in line with Vixie's. Don't forget that Butterchuru might also have been referring to "police" as something specific and not necessarily just "inspectors"--there could be innocent inspection roles that are not really "police", for example, and they could be more reliable. Not that we can actually tell, but it's a thought.

Walker had massive internal bleeding in addition to Superbird's ear bleedage from yesterday; I wonder what that means? Could that have been healer clash in addition to whoever was responsible for the ears (since now I definitely don't think the ears are indicative of clash--again, what idiot doctor(s) would've targeted outed mafia/alien)?

Hm. This is really weird. Well, I'm also of the opinion that ear-bleeding is not healer clash, as that seems more indicative with the internal bleeding bit. Although I'd like to slap the healer that screwed up...or maybe the mafia-aligned healer decided to double up to get rid of the vigilante. Or, well, maybe the mafia-healer is the bloody-ears thing, I dunno.

Massive deaths of massive, I have nothing to say except there's a lot of players, and maybe someone has a one-shot kill-three thing (at least, I hope it's one-shot). Assuming they're mafia-aligned, don't know why they would waste it on the vanilla roles, unless they don't know who the real mafia are, and were targeting those revealed to avoid hitting their own side.

In other news, looks like Vixie was right. Do we trust her? I'm inclined to, at least for now.

In other news, looks like Vixie was right. Do we trust her? I'm inclined to, at least for now.
What I'm curious about is to how it [Mawile] died. It's unlikely the mafia would kill off one of their own, so this suggests the presence of multiple factions or a vigilante. If it were alien, mafia may have double-stabbed to keep it from activating, but the flavour text (Italian suits) suggest it was indeed actually a mafioso. Overdose is also possible but I'm leaning towards unlikely.

I'm inclined to believe Vixie, seeing as Mawile turned up as mafia.

I doubt it was alien now, though, so probably just a very very silly mafioso! It's likely that Walker managed to hit Mawile before being overdosed/hit by an evil vigilante that somehow bypasses healing(?), which may be why there appears to be no mafia death... unless they hit a chain reaction with the MIs, but I don't know about that.

Although maybe it was alien and just loved to think it was in the mafia. :( aww.

Well, it would be helpful if someone claimed doctor who healed Walker (if anyone did), but roleclaiming is a baaaaad idea.

I really have no clue why I survived. I wasn't told I couldn't roleclaim or that there was a chain death ala the Lovers. Maybe there's three killing roles in the Mafia? Or three Mafia fractions?

Well I don't have any insightful views that haven't been said yet, just really posting for the sake of posting.

Also, is it possible that maybe Mawile was some sort of Mafia-aligned alien role or something? Weird idea, but it seems possible, and the lack of the business card thingy seems like it could be.

Re: TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 2]

Personally, I think Dave died protecting someone else. Also, don't aliens appear as mafia when killed? Or is that only when they are inspected?

It's only when they're inspected. Why would a dead alien be wearing an Italian suit?

And only activated aliens show up as mafia when inspected.

Also I don't want to be mistaken for Kratos :( Bad things would happen.

I remind you that just yesterday I explained that if anyone died by an Act of God of any kind, this would be made explicit (as in, instead of "player is dead" I would say "player has been booted from the game for disobeying the rules" or something of the like). All deaths in the game have been caused by players in full accordance with the text of their role PMs, not by the wrath of the GM or some hidden restrictions to any role. If your role PM doesn't say or imply "Bad things will happen if you do X", then you doing X will not in itself make bad things happen.

I might also note that the only reason Mawile wasn't specified to have a Legitimate Businessmen's Social Club business card was that I couldn't be bothered to type up that lengthy link. The lack of it was not a meaningful detail and you did in fact find the suit pockets stuffed with such cards.

Last edited:

Wait a second.

If the Mysterious Informant role for the three victims did work like lovers, wouldn't it make sense for the three of them to all role-claim simultaneously? After all, they would all die together in that case.

There are a lot of varieties of cop roles; I wouldn't be surprised if there were this many.

I think the "don't roleclaim or you'll die at night!" thing is a hoax; if anything I believe the mafia is trying to scare us away from doing so because it makes their job easier. I will roleclaim if necessary to prove this.

Back
Top Bottom