• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

If a pokemon is flying above their opponent when the foe uses sleep powder, will it miss due to it being above the powder? With gravity it would just float down, after all.
If you mean the Pokémon is using Fly, all moves except a specific few (e.g. Thunder, Twister, Sky Uppercut) will hit. If you mean the Pokémon is just flying, however, while the referee might reduce accuracy over it, it wouldn't be sure to miss.

Still on the new energy scale, there are non-damaging attacks with permanent effects -- arena hazards, Spite, etc. -- which, due to their effects' not fading (or taking much longer to fade than Trick Room and the like), fit no particular category. How would these be calculated?

Also, would moves that reset stats, such as Haze and Odor Sleuth, cost energy in accordance to how much change it takes to neutralize the altered stats?
Those are long-duration effects.

Moves that reset stats cost the same regardless of how much (if at all) they alter stats. iirc they're all short-duration effects.

If a pokemon is flying above their opponent when the foe uses sleep powder, will it miss due to it being above the powder? With gravity it would just float down, after all.
Depends. If the pokémon launches the sleep powder with enough force that it can reach the flying opponent, it will fall asleep. If the flying pokémon is actually able to stay above the powder, then of course it won't.

If you're actually talking about fly, the move, then very few attacks have the power to reach pokémon that high up, and sleep powder would not be one of them.

Does switching out (or rotating out, in the case of the tournament) allow for the use of fake out repeatedly on the same pokemon by the same pokemon?

Also, can knocked off items be picked back up?

Well, you can use fake out as many times as you want under normal circumstances; but the chance that it will cause a flinch doesn't go back up if you switch out before trying to use it again on the same pokémon.

Knocked off items can be picked back up (unless they can't be found/were dropped somewhere they'd be irretrievable), but it takes an action to do so.

does stockpiling repeatedly increase the energy stockpiled for use with swallow/spit up, or create a separate instance of stockpile?

also, swallow shouldn't really cost extra energy on healing (as a direct healing move) than the stockpile already did, should it?

It increases the stockpiled energy.

Swallow (and spit up) cost a trivial (~2%) amount of energy for use of the move, but nothing related to the amount healed/damage dealt, since the stockpiled energy itself counts towards that.

this stockpiled energy can exceed 25%, yes?

is spending extra actions stockpiling intended to cause more +def/spd than just stockpiling in one burst?

The total energy stockpiled can exceed 25%, but no more than 25% can be stored per use of the attack.

Yes, the boosts are supposed to be linked to actions spent stockpiling, not the amount of energy stored.

If we're allowed to use impossible Egg Moves, such as Aurora Beam Staryu, Volt Tackle Elekid and Head Smash Nosepass, can we use attacks that NPCs had impossibly on their Pokemon, such as Lance's Barrier Dragonite or some apparent Surf Armaldo in some game somewhere?

If we're allowed to use impossible Egg Moves, such as Aurora Beam Staryu, Volt Tackle Elekid and Head Smash Nosepass, can we use attacks that NPCs had impossibly on their Pokemon, such as Lance's Barrier Dragonite or some apparent Surf Armaldo in some game somewhere?
No

Would Taunt prevent the use of Dig to dig down and just wait for an action or more? Also how much does Counter reduce the damage the user of Counter actually takes?

EDIT: ... Also what's this about Volt Tackle Elekid? o_o

Negrek said a while back that someone (I think it was Squorn) was able to use Staryu's programmed egg moves from 2nd Gen, even though it was never breedable and therefore had no way of learning these attacks. Presumably this also applies to the Gen 4 impossible Head Smash Nosepass, and GameFaqs says that there is coding in the data for Elekid, Electabuzz and Electivire to know Volt Tackle, though there is no known method for obtaining the attacks.

Correct me if I'm wrong in thinking we can use this.

It wasn't an egg move, it was in the coding for the Elekid family in D/P. So I suppose that would be different. But I thought I saw it on Serebii at one point. Anyway you can find discussions on the anomaly if you google volt tackle Elekid or something.

EDIT: Seventh post on this discussion

Apparently in the old Volt Tackle Bulbapedia article, presumably for 4th Gen since the current article has none of this, it says:

Also, the game's code shows the Electabuzz, Machamp, Infernape, Lucario, Alakazam, Cacturne, Hariyama, and Mr. Mime families as being able to know the move, albeit through unknown methods. It is curious to note that all these Pokémon are of the Humanshape egg group.

So I suppose that raises the question, can these Pokemon use Volt Tackle, since the coding was in the game?

Would Taunt prevent the use of Dig to dig down and just wait for an action or more? Also how much does Counter reduce the damage the user of Counter actually takes?
Taunt would stop the pokémon from digging down and hanging out; it would go down, but come up immediately to attack. Counter reduces attack damage by no more than 2-3%.

So I suppose that raises the question, can these Pokemon use Volt Tackle, since the coding was in the game?
No

Magic Coated Toxic poisons the user of Toxic, right? Because I've heard you saying a Pokémon can't poison itself using its own toxins...

EDIT: Since Mold Breaker ignores the ability Levitate, does it ignore the ground immunity of all flying and hovering Pokémon?

Last edited:
Magic coat bounced toxic will poison the pokémon that used the attack unless it's a poison type. Pokémon can't just use toxic on themselves to poison themselves, however.

No, mold breaker only ignores immunities conferred by abilities.

Back
Top Bottom