• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

War on Drugs

Sarcasm. It's what's for dinner.

Sorry, I'm really biased on this topic. I'm very anti drugs.
That's fine, but what about people who want to partake in drugs? They're going to do it whether or not you personally approve.

Because I am so anti-drug.

I am the type of person that I don't even like seeing or hearing about drugs. If someone around me is drinking I have to physically leave. I can't stand it. I don't know why, I've just always been this way. If my friends talk about smoking pot (which a few do) I just leave or try to change the conversation. I can't go to concerts anymore because there's so much drinking/drugs. Which sucks for my work because I bounce and guard at weddings. It's not that it makes me feel ill, I just get really frustrated and leave. It's a hard feeling to explain... it's actually kind of like disappointment... a little.

I understand that it makes sense, and I approve of medicinal stuff. But if my friend has cancer and has a slip I'm not going to hang around while they smoke/are high. I'll quietly leave and ask if they need something at the grocery store. I understand and don't deny your points of argument, I just, in the end, don't like it. I hate it with a burning passion.

Like I said, I've been like that since I was a kid. When I was little (like 7ish) my dad got pretty tipsy at a wedding, and when I saw him drunk I got really upset and left. It was a looong time ago, but I barely remember him stumbling after me and trying to hug me and he was finding it a challenge.

So it's less of my political stance and more of a personal one.

Still if it came down to a vote it would depend on how I feel as well as the logic. But I don't think, even with all the research and studies and other countries that I am ever going to vote 'yes' on a legalizing drugs act. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Even though I understand, I probably would avoid the vote at all.

Last edited:
So you acknowledge that your stance is completely irrational and baseless, then. Do you also acknowledge that it is incredibly harmful to people's well-being (especially certain marginalized groups) and the economy if we maintain the status quo when it comes to drug laws?

So it's less of my political stance and more of a personal one.

That's fair, as long as you keep it in the personal sphere. It's definitely good to be anti-drug. And our experience are what shape us to be who we are. But the second you step out of the personal sphere by trying to impose morals on others or participating in political decisions, you need to be grounded in logic, and really should try not to let your feelings sway you over facts.

It's definitely good to be anti-drug.
Sorry, definitely going to have disagree there, especially regarding pot. I used to be the same way as Phantom — merely discussing drugs beyond alcohol and tobacco made me incredibly uncomfortable and would often cause me a lot of anxiety. When my friends wanted to smoke pot I would have to leave the room completely because I was deathly afraid of getting some kind of second-hand high or contact.

And then I tried it. And what happened? Not a whole lot of anything! I was a lot more relaxed, my dull headache went away, and I was still completely in control of my mind and body. It felt nice for a while and then it faded away. I haven't smoked since, nor have I felt any overwhelming urges to.

Real destructive.

The reason I was so scared is because there is such an anti-drug sentiment in the United States. In fifth grade we're all brainwashed by that stupid D.A.R.E. program and television channels aimed at adolescents often contain those "above the influence" commercials. It is so counter-productive and ridiculous. That shit in your energy drinks, which is all completely legal, should be a much bigger cause of concern than fucking marijuana.

Last edited:
So you acknowledge that your stance is completely irrational and baseless, then. Do you also acknowledge that it is incredibly harmful to people's well-being (especially certain marginalized groups) and the economy if we maintain the status quo when it comes to drug laws?

Ouch.

Also... you know that I TEACH one of those useless and stupid DARE classes?

Dude why are you being so harsh? All I've said is that I don't like drugs. You're acting like I came in here and said I promote eating babies or something.

Dude why are you being so harsh? All I've said is that I don't like drugs. You're acting like I came in here and said I promote eating babies or something.
Yes, you've said that you don't like drugs; we get that. This isn't a place for you to go on about how you just personally don't like drugs and not respond to anybody. If you're not interested in actually discussing these issues with a logical slant then this is probably a bad place to do it! "I just don't like x" is not justification for an argument - your tastes obviously do not reflect that of the public. Why else do you think drugs are bad? People have asked you questions and are trying to have a discussion about this (including myself) and "I just don't like drugs" is kind of an invalid response to most of them.

Is it enough that my mom is going to spend her life in a wheel chair because of a drunk driver? That my cousin od'd? That my uncle is a crack addict that is living on the streets somewhere? That my great grandmother drank herself to death? That my brothers brother came to my twin nephew's funeral higher than the clouds? That my friend wasn't able to walk at graduation with the rest of the clas sbecause they found drugs in his locker? How about my aunt who's been borrowing money from my uncle because she spends it all on meth and lost her job because she failed a drug test and is currently living off unemployment and food stamps?

Yeah I don't LIKE drugs. I have plenty of reasons. Make them legal, but remember that its not in how you get the drug, its what it does to you and the people around you. Not everyone is responsible, and responsibility is always in question when it comes to drugs. Call my reasoning irrational, but no I don't LIKE drugs.

I will not be insulted or judged for this, I think my reasons are more than sufficient.

If they are legalized, fuck they better VERY regulated. VERY. And 16 yeah. No. At least 18, at least. You can talk about fancy taxes and how its improved other countries, like I said, I understand. I am not one to deny facts. All I said was that if it came to my voting, I wouldn't be able to do it based on my personal experiences. I am not forcing my views on you. I'm explaining them. I'm not saying I'm right, nor that anyone is wrong.

Hey, I never said taking drugs was a good idea (and drunk driving should be punished terrifyingly harshly, that shit is just not ok!)

But the problem is is that if people want to fuck up their life that way, then that is their path in life. I don't like drugs any more than you do - the only thing I use in moderation is alcohol and even when I overdose on THAT it's in such an environment that nothing can happen.

But if other people want to destroy their lives, so be it, and it's causing a massive war in Mexico with 200,000 casualties or so. Why? Because drugs are illegal! Legalize them, and instead of having to spend extraneous money on fighting people and resources, you can just take the guns out of their hands with one fell swoop. You can save a whole lot of effort by ensuring YOU have government control over the produce. At least if people use drugs then THEY'LL understand the risk, because we should have education about drugs (but fair, science-based education - not emotional bullshit. People need to be presented the proper facts before they can make a judgement - drugs are bad isn't an argument).

By the way, the 16 holds for light alcohol, weed, and cigarettes. Nothing else. By the way, beer and wine here are 16 already. So that wouldn't be much of a switch, really.

You need to realise this is about choice! The consequences of drugs are terrible, but if you are dumb enough to take drugs, then you have brought it upon yourself. Instead of just straight out banning we can both hold people responsible for their own actions and we can make money off of it, and we can stop a whole load of wars in Central America that don't need fighting.

You need to realise this is about choice! The consequences of drugs are terrible, but if you are dumb enough to take drugs, then you have brought it upon yourself. Instead of just straight out banning we can both hold people responsible for their own actions and we can make money off of it, and we can stop a whole load of wars in Central America that don't need fighting.

:[ I object to this line of reasoning quite a bit. I hope it was just poor wording.

Back
Top Bottom