• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Name Origins

Vipera Magnifica

Aquatic Artiste
Pronoun
he/him
Pokémon Name Origins

I think Game Freak has always been quite clever in their naming conventions. Some of the portmanteau names are more obvious than others (i.e. Voltorb = "Volt" + "Orb"), but many are much less conspicuous. For example, the name for Sawsbuck is formed from the acronym S.A.W.S (Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring) and buck/sawbuck.

I've found Pokémon etymology to be quite interesting. I often take the names for granted and miss some names that seem rather obvious in retrospect (such as Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon). When I do realize them, it seems like quite the epiphany. I'd be interested to hear if some of you have had a similar experience.

Re: Pokémon Name Origins

I still remember the day of my first Spanish lesson at school and learned the numbers. Straight away thought of the legendary birds. Actually helped me to learn the Spanish numbers :grin:

Sawsbuck I did eventually work out on my own, shortly after realising it changed appearance with the seasons I assumed its name could be something to do with it.

One I always pondered was Ho-oh. I think I looked it up once and 'ho' means 'phoenix' I think. It is one of the more bizarre names

Just yesterday, I was thinking and realized that wow, numel means numb camel.

It was a life-changing revelation. I had to go sit down.

Deerling being deer+darling. At least, that's what I think it is. Makes more sense than my first guess, which was deer+underling.

I was reading Bulbapedia's attempts to figure out Vanillite's name when I came to the realization, wow, those three are like delite, delish, deluxe! It was amazing.

Oh, I love these.

Elgeyem and Beeheyem come from abbreviations, L.G.M. (Little Green Man) and B.E.M. (Bug Eyed Monster), both of which are slang terms for aliens.

Bisharp- Bishop + Sharp.
Gallade- Gallant + Blade.
Beartic- Bear + Artic

But it's not a Fire-type....

It was sarcasm ;)

I've always liked looking up the name origins. Kangaskhan's name supposedly comes from kangaroo + Genghis Khan, for some reason; also Palkia comes from 'paaru', a Japanese-isation of our word 'pearl' - And obviously DIAlga comes from diamond. Interesting!

Gardevoir pretty much translates in french to 'watch over', which is basically the theme of Gardevoir anyway. Don't they, like, protect their trainer at any cost, even if it means self-sacrifice?

What I don't get is why sometimes they just don't decide to really do anything with names?? Like, what does Lapras mean? I guess 'lap' because you sit on it... ... ?

They clearly try pretty hard sometimes to come up with something neat-sounding, so it's pretty weird. Maybe sometimes they just need to take a break.

What I don't get is why sometimes they just don't decide to really do anything with names?? Like, what does Lapras mean? I guess 'lap' because you sit on it... ... ?

They clearly try pretty hard sometimes to come up with something neat-sounding, so it's pretty weird. Maybe sometimes they just need to take a break.

I'm pretty sure Lapras also refers to Laplace.

I tend to see "majestic" in Milotic... That's the way dragon-like things are beautiful. And Mismagius definitely sounds like "mysterious".

Back
Top Bottom