• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Stupid question time, does that only apply to enemies? or could you finish off a team mate to get exp or a boost from Moxie or Retaliate

Role Play on the asbdb said:
The Pokémon selects an opponent and tries to get into the mindset--literally--of their selected character. Using its psychic powers, the Pokémon behaves in a manner identical to its foe, adopting its mentality and battle style to the letter. The change is so profound that the attack will even copy the foe's special ability, overwriting the user's own, but unfortunately the user will act quite strangely until it is commanded to revert back to its normal self.
I presume from the vagueness of will act "quite strangely" that it's just flavour and there's no actual side-effect to using Role Play, right? As in, you're supposed to describe the user as acting like its target or something?

Stupid question time, does that only apply to enemies? or could you finish off a team mate to get exp or a boost from Moxie or Retaliate

You wouldn't get EXP from KO'ing a teammate, I don't think, and Retaliate wouldn't make much sense flavor-wise, but you certainly get a boost from Moxie in the games and I don't see why that wouldn't apply here.

I presume from the vagueness of will act "quite strangely" that it's just flavour and there's no actual side-effect to using Role Play, right? As in, you're supposed to describe the user as acting like its target or something?
It's just flavor. The user should act more like the target as long as the move's in effect.

Does confusionfailing count as a direct attack for purposes of Magic Guard, given that the Pokemon is attacking itself? If not, does that make confusionfailing impossible with the Magic Guard ability, or would it only screw up the attack without causing damage?

In-game, Magic Guard Pokemon take damage from confusionfail, and I think there's ASB precedent too.

If a Pokemon at low health with Sturdy is hit by a move dealing 10+% damage and saved at 1%, and is then hit by the same move on the next action, does Sturdy save it again? Or does that effect only work once?

Could you use Storm Throw/Frost Breath on an ally to get Anger Point active?
Yes. You definitely wouldn't be able to pull it off by using Frost Breath on yourself, though (or Storm Throw, if that were physically possible).

If sound-based moves can hit through a Substitute, would they also dispel Double Team clones? If not, what's the flavor justification for that?

Is Chill un-Snatchable? It doesn't have the flag on the db, but I don't really see why it shouldn't be Snatchable.

Is Chill un-Snatchable? It doesn't have the flag on the db, but I don't really see why it shouldn't be Snatchable.

Yes you can Snatch Chill and I remembered that last night but not when I posted those commands >:(((((

If sound-based moves can hit through a Substitute, would they also dispel Double Team clones? If not, what's the flavor justification for that?
Not unless they could be spread out to hit multiple targets, a la heat wave. Flavor justification is the same as why attacks like bug buzz only hit a single target: the damaging sound waves are concentrated in a narrow cone or line, and the only pokémon to take damage from them are the ones within that small area of effect. A substitute can't block them from reaching their target, but they won't harm any pokémon (or clones) outside the attack's damaging radius.

Since I really can't find the ruling that I'm sure exists: a Snatched direct heal or Chill counts for the Snatcher's heals or Chills, not the one it's Snatching from, correct?

How do we deal with triple move combos where the priorities are in separate brackets?

My logic for this working was that the Fake Out priority aspect (moving really quickly) would combine with the Aqua Jet while underwater, since a water type can move about better underwater (at least this one). But then, when Aqua Jetting, can you perform the necessary maneuvers to increase your speed with a Fake Out? Can you even attempt to increase your speed while using Aqua Jet? The in-game description says "The user lunges at the foe at a speed that makes it almost invisible."

And not only that, Facade is a move that entails dropping all pretense and going all out (especially true because of the status inflicted), but Fake Out requires some level of deception and control. Clapping your hands to shock your opponent is very far from pummelling them repeatedly, and I'm not even sure if they can be executed together.

EDIT: Eifie informed me in the IRC that the two priority moves, if it was even possible to use them together, would only result in a +3 priority move.

Last edited:
Since I really can't find the ruling that I'm sure exists: a Snatched direct heal or Chill counts for the Snatcher's heals or Chills, not the one it's Snatching from, correct?
I think the most reasonable way to handle direct recovery moves is that the pokémon that attempted to use the move is the one whose direct heal count it counts towards. Thus the snatchee pays for the chills.

Because your battle has thus far been operating on the principle that the pokémon who actually benefits from the attack is the one who pays for it, though, in your particular case it would be most consistent to make the chills count against the snatcher's count.

How do we deal with triple move combos where the priorities are in separate brackets?

My logic for this working was that the Fake Out priority aspect (moving really quickly) would combine with the Aqua Jet while underwater, since a water type can move about better underwater (at least this one). But then, when Aqua Jetting, can you perform the necessary maneuvers to increase your speed with a Fake Out? Can you even attempt to increase your speed while using Aqua Jet? The in-game description says "The user lunges at the foe at a speed that makes it almost invisible."

And not only that, Facade is a move that entails dropping all pretense and going all out (especially true because of the status inflicted), but Fake Out requires some level of deception and control. Clapping your hands to shock your opponent is very far from pummelling them repeatedly, and I'm not even sure if they can be executed together.

EDIT: Eifie informed me in the IRC that the two priority moves, if it was even possible to use them together, would only result in a +3 priority move.
Figuring out combos is always tricky, and priority especially so. For a lot of attacks that are like "quick attack + whatever," the idea is to use quick attack to close with the opponent very rapidly so you can fire off the second attack right away. The question is whether the attack being combo'd is one that can be executed fast enough to actually benefit from the speed granted by the priority move, or whether it takes so long to prepare/perform that you wouldn't really get much benefit. For example, fire punch is a pretty simple move to execute: make small amount of fire, punch opponent. On the other hand, dynamicpunch is specifically being called out as being slow and difficult to control. I think quick attack + fire punch would work just fine, but quick attack + dynamicpunch would probably just guarantee that you missed with the dynamicpunch, and you wouldn't get any real speed advantage.

Regarding your particular example, I don't see how facade works together with fake out; like you said, they're pretty different in their intent/execution, so I would kick that one out of the combo and treat the commands as aqua jet + fake out ~ facade. Whether or not you think the aqua jet should boost the speed of fake out is on you. I would probably make the combo +1 priority, with the combined power and effect of fake out and aqua jet.

This question is more up for interpretation than a hard and fast rule, so you might consider starting a discussion in the Refs' Lounge about it instead of asking here.

I think the most reasonable way to handle direct recovery moves is that the pokémon that attempted to use the move is the one whose direct heal count it counts towards. Thus the snatchee pays for the chills.

Because your battle has thus far been operating on the principle that the pokémon who actually benefits from the attack is the one who pays for it, though, in your particular case it would be most consistent to make the chills count against the snatcher's count.

I found the post I was looking for (though I couldn't find the battle in question), so it looks like it could go either way?

Back
Top Bottom