• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Heroes/Idols

Furretsu

World of Glass
Are there any people you idolize? Look up to? Anyone you consider your hero?

Post about 'em. =) And perhaps share why you think they're so amazing, and why you praise the ground they walk on, and... *Cough.*

Anyway, mine is the lovely Emilie Autumn. There are a few reasons why.

• My immediate reaction to seeing a picture of her: "Whoa, this woman is gorgeous!" And I still react that way whenever I see her. She has the greatest fashion sense in the world. No contest. (Image link)
  • Her music. Her first album, Enchant, is perhaps my favorite album right now; it's ethereal, beautiful, and breathtaking. The minute I listen to it, I am taken away to a faerie-populated enchanted forest. Her later works (including the eccentric Opheliac) combine the worlds of industrial music, Victorian poetry, and the same ethereal feeling that Enchant brought. Sorry... I know I'm rambling, but there's just so much I love about her music that this paragraph just can't possibly do it justice.
  • The most admirable trait of hers is definitely her attitude. I admire anyone who is not afraid to defy society and be themselves, despite what others may think. After Enchant was finished, her record label wanted full control over her style and growth as a musician. And you know what she did? Gave 'em a nice "Fuck you" and went to start her own successful record label. Despite this, she's still one of the sweetest people you will ever meet and is really dedicated to her fans - she holds frequent chat sessions with her fans and always hangs around after shows to meet and talk with her admirers.
So, there are the reasons I look up to Emilie Autumn on a daily basis and would probably die if I ever saw her in real life. I love her. I really, really do. She is perfect in every single way. She-- *Shot.*

If you want to listen to her stuff, by any chance, there's an outdated page on her official website that contains some free (and legal, of course) MP3 links. You won't regret checking out some of her work.

Uh... what about you guys? :D

Last edited:
More or less anyone who has performed on Broadway or in the West End. I just have a tremendous respect for people in theatre because they have all the talent (often far more) than actors in TV and movies, but are generally paid much less and have to work a lot harder.

If you know me, you'll know this (and probably be sick to death of me going on about it :3), but I adore Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel. They're both phenomenal singers and actresses, both really appreciate their fans, have done loads of charity work (especially when Idina was in RENT) and, well, they're both adorable :3

See?

Mmm.png
chenowand.jpg

This girl that I used to know, Natalie Jimenez. Nobody you'd've ever heard of, she was just a counselor-person at a camp I went to. But she was such a cool person, she was everything I wanted to be at the time, outgoing and funny and a little unsure of herself, a tiny bit, but always willing to try to get to know people and take risks. She was really pretty, too. I was so, so shy at the time, moreso than I am now, and everything about her said to me "I want to be like her, she is amazing." I really wanted to talk to her and try to, uh, be friends with her, but like I said I'm really shy when it comes to those things, sometimes (I'm a bit better now, though) and so I ended up writing to her through letters and emails after the camp was over. She was... kind, but restrained, and stopped writing after a while.

Three years later of being obsessed for ever-shrinking reasons, I kind of let go because it was really, really stupid. Most of my "idols" end up being people that I know, and sometimes will spiral downward into plain obsession, and it's really terrible. Although if they're someone I want to get to know etter or something, sometimes their idol-ness goes away when I do befriend them, and they just end up becoming a good friend. Only happened once (and on here, too) but it was lovely. :3

As far as people that I don't know and look up to, a lot of people.. mm, actors and people sometimes, though I can only think of two that I like and only because they're good actors and are generally really cool. I don't know anything about them, though so I can't really say they're my heroes or anything. (Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving.)

There are some other people, too, that I look up to that are just my teachers or something. One person that comes to mind is a professor at the university near me, John Thompson. He was the person that was, uh, mentoring me for an independent study I was doing for science, and he was just really nice and knowlegeable and cool. Doug Lory, a tour guide I had in NYC, was also really cool and outgoing and knowledgable and extremely interesting, so I can say I looked up to him, too. Mainly I look up to people I actually know in person, I guess.

Stalin and I have more in common personality wise than you think
You want to kill and oppress you own people and hide that fact from everyone else? :/

Anyway, Oscar Wilde. There isn't anything I don't love about him. His wit, his intelligence, his sense of humour, his talent, his hedonism, his value of aesthetics, his sense of style, everything was awesome. The only small thing I dislike is how vain he acted during his trial, because that lost him.
Then again the trial's Bosie's fault so :I

hey werd up guys my idol's Hitler we're this -> <- close man, you know, failed artist, having only 1 ball. Can relate a lot to his genocide man.

Optimus Prime, no question.

I'm being totally serious. :I
Okay, no I'm not.

I really wish I had someone I looked up to and thought of as my hero. :c

Do fictional characters count? If so, Midna. No question. She's a foot tall and has awesome evil powers and bosses around Link, who is way bigger and stronger. And she's cute. =3

My future self! If I live past 25 I will idolise myself forever, seriously.

John Kricfalusi.

He is a cartoonist/animator that I watch a lot of. He has gotten a lot of crud by animation companies and has had a hard life in the animation biz. He made the first internet cartoon. His work makes me want to stop the crud on TV these days and make a good cartoon with expression, good voices, and stuff. Even thought I don't agree with him on everything, he has made me see animation in a new way.

I'm my OWN hero, thank you very much. I'm my knight in shining armour who comes to rescue me from the evil dragon that I am.

Myself.

The fact that there's noone else in the world just like me sparks a sense of uniquenes... and the lack of need to be like anyone else. And therefore, I don't try to be like anyone else or idolise them.

Back
Top Bottom