The Cave of Dragonflies forums

The Cave of Dragonflies forums (http://forums.dragonflycave.com/index.php)
-   Main Series (http://forums.dragonflycave.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Playing the original GB games just don't feel right... (http://forums.dragonflycave.com/showthread.php?t=15483)

TheBluejay 08-15-2012 09:27 AM

Playing the original GB games just don't feel right...

when you play on an emulator to me. Maybe it's just the nostalgia clouding my view, but whenever I get some high end mobile device, or computer the first thing I do is pimp it out with games. However I always get the traditional games and I never feel satisfied playing them. Then a couple weeks ago I saw a yellow GBC and decided to buy it and start up the cartridge I still had, I gotta replace the battery but it just feels right playing it how it was meant to be played.

anybody else get that feeling?

LuckyLapras' Duck 08-15-2012 10:45 AM

Re: Playing the original GB games just don't feel right...

Wait. I'm confused. Does it feel right or doesn't it feel right?

Zero Moment 08-15-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLapras (Post 602966)
Wait. I'm confused. Does it feel right or doesn't it feel right?

I think he's saying it feels wrong to play it on an emulator.

Frostagin 08-15-2012 10:21 PM

I have only ever played a GB game cartridge once, but I do agree that it seems different.

Cerberus87 08-16-2012 05:53 AM

I loved playing on GBC, but I much prefer using an emulator for AR codes and speed button.

Aisling 08-16-2012 04:05 PM

I kinda feel the same way. I wouldn't mind playing Pokemon RBY in my hands, I'd be happy with that. I'd love to play it on my old Gameboy but I just don't have the cartridges for the games anymore. I've lost all my games except Yellow (and I want to start with Bulbasaur and I want the ugly sprites so baww)
I have an iPod touch so my emulation options are kinda narrow (as opposed to, say, an Android phone or something) and for the life of me I just cannot find any RBY roms that work on, like, either of the two emulators that exist for the iPod.

Noctowl 08-16-2012 04:08 PM

Eh, I never played the originals. I started with ruby and sapphire.

But I would hate to be constantly at walking speed. It is far too slow. Thankfully they invented a run button in the end. :)

Spoon 08-16-2012 04:27 PM

I don't use emulators, but even then I absolutely loathe when newer system's screen skews to adjust to the old resolution. I use my DSi, instead of my 3DS, for my DS games for that reason. And, I'd probably play my old GB games on my old GBC (without a backlit screen and use a Gloworm instead, le gasp!) if I still had it. Nostalgia doesn't work as well without it, me thinks.

Murkrow 08-16-2012 09:05 PM

I generally feel weird using emulators because the keyboard is so wide compared to the gameboy. I also feel weird when I play on a GBA after playing on an SP. Though oddly it doesn't apply to the DS

DarkNut255 08-23-2012 03:09 PM

I find it best to play handheld games on either a Super Gameboy (SNES Peripheral) or a Game Boy Player (GCN Peripheral).

Minish 10-09-2012 05:38 PM

Use an SP? They're like Ł15 used. I regularly replay my old Blue and Silver cartridges!

Nightmane 10-09-2012 05:55 PM

It does feel very odd to play a emulator of a game. Gameboy games are meant to be played on Gameboy, not on some program that was hacked or something. It really feels odd. I must agree with everyone. Playing an emulator is just weird. Its very hard to describe.

1. Luftballon 10-09-2012 09:38 PM

I found one of those usb numpad things once, mapped keys to it, played things with a emulator with the keypad turned sideways. the numlock key got in the way, but otherwise I don't think it was that bad. but now my things have actual numpads and I have no excuse to usb numpad, eh.

Emperor_Evulz 10-09-2012 10:49 PM

It feels fine to me.

Adriane 10-11-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 609304)
Use an SP? They're like Ł15 used. I regularly replay my old Blue and Silver cartridges!

The used SP's I've seen here are more upwards of $50-70.

Minish 10-11-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chalumeau (Post 609447)
The used SP's I've seen here are more upwards of $50-70.

There are a few around on Amazon for like $30! Which isn't that much better, but.

Storm, Earth, and Fire 10-19-2012 04:05 PM

The only one of the GBC generations I've got left is Red in cartridge form. I've emulated Crystal (never owned it before) and all I can say is, we humans put a lot of value into touching and feeling things, this is definitely a case of that. Luckily, I've still got my GBA (not SP even!). Actually, the first time I used a SP was 3 years ago (and I've owned my GBA since it's launch), and the narrowness bothers me.

If you're willing to pony up the $20~ for a R4, the GBC emulator for DS is solid, although it refused to save Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 for me.

Handheld games should be played on handhelds of some sort, not computers. Console games on the other hand, well, I have a PS2-to-USB adapter and a memory card to USB adapter, so I can turn a computer into a PS1.

Worst Username Ever 10-19-2012 11:26 PM

Yeah, I prefer playing games on consoles too. All games, not just Pokémon. There's just a much better "feeling" to that.

Cerberus87 10-20-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm, Earth, and Fire (Post 609844)
The only one of the GBC generations I've got left is Red in cartridge form. I've emulated Crystal (never owned it before) and all I can say is, we humans put a lot of value into touching and feeling things, this is definitely a case of that. Luckily, I've still got my GBA (not SP even!). Actually, the first time I used a SP was 3 years ago (and I've owned my GBA since it's launch), and the narrowness bothers me.

If you're willing to pony up the $20~ for a R4, the GBC emulator for DS is solid, although it refused to save Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 for me.

Handheld games should be played on handhelds of some sort, not computers. Console games on the other hand, well, I have a PS2-to-USB adapter and a memory card to USB adapter, so I can turn a computer into a PS1.

I still have my GBC...

Definitely a classic, but no one wants one because the GBC emulators are pretty much perfect and LOLbatteries.

I was going to sell my N64 but the current state of N64 emulation is depressing... Might be better if I looked around for rare cartridges I don't own, like the Zelda games, Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini and a few other good games.

Storm, Earth, and Fire 10-20-2012 01:52 AM

N64 emulation is pretty sad. I was thinking of selling mine too, my stack of games isn't too bad. I have still Banjo-Kazooie, didn't think it was particularly rare.