• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Village names?

Vladimir Putin's LJ

your blood flows through my veins
Alright, so I haven't learned my lesson yet. I'm giving writing another try, because hey, while practice doesn't make you perfect, it sure as hell helps.
I've got a basic plot, and although it's very boring and done to death I don't plan on ever publishing this, as it's purely for writing practice and experimentation and so forth.

Here's the thing in a nutshell: Christopher Graham Wilson, a young priest/vicar (still need to figure out his religion, haha) who's fresh out of the seminary, is thrilled to discover he's been put in charge of his very own parish. So thrilled, in fact, he does only minimal research about the village he's going to live in (the weather and such), assuming everything will be fine and he'll get long great with the rest of the villagers.
Upon arrival, he discovers he's made a grave mistake. The village is cut off from the rest of the world, miles from the train station and with just an old rickety bus to drive people there, once every other week. Being so isolated, it has created an interesting kind of people, with their own rules. Most are quite religious and thus treat Christopher with respect, even when he breaks some of these untold rules or meddles with people's lives.
The only person who wasn't born and raised in this village is the local 'artist', Michael. He own a house at the edge of the village and Christopher hopes to find some common ground with this outsider.
If only he'd known Michael was the maddest of them all.

Again: predictable, boring, flat.
But still.
My main problem right now is finding a name for this village. It's a small village, probably situated in Gloucestershire (still need to do a bit more research) and completely closed off from the rest of the world.
Suggestions about his religion would be welcome. I'm quite keen on making him an Anglican but I've never actually been able to talk to a real Anglican so I don't know very much about the CofE.
HELP ME WRITING FORUM

It can be anything, and it depends what you're looking for. If you google around villages in Gloucestershire you should get a "feel" for the place and you could make up a name based on elements common to most of the other villages.

Back
Top Bottom