• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[09] Kratos Aurion vs Involuntary Twitch

By now both Phanel and Räsvelg are weak enough that another croagunk attack poses a serious threat. They are on their guard, waiting for even the smallest sign that the frogs may return and determined not to be caught by surprise as they have been in the past.

Unfortunately, such vigilance is no match for the croagunk's ingenuity. The reeds remain still and quiet, the surface of the brackish water undisturbed. Then Räsvelg lets out a yelp as as a froggy hand bursts out of the ground below him and seizes one of his legs. Phanel's head snaps around at the noise, his eyes widening as he witnesses croagunk boiling out of a hole just under Räsvelg, attacking the osgrave from below. His distraction proves costly, as another gang of croagunk burst up from the ground just behind him and launch their own assault. As before, both pokémon are temporarily swarmed by a chuckling gang of frogs, their struggles doing nothing to deter their tormentors. Even Phanel's reflect is no defense against the croagunk's ambush, and when the frogs retreat again, both Räsvelg and Phanel are left visibly battered. This late in the game, even the croagunk's relatively mild attack robs them of a considerable portion of their remaining vitality.

Round Eleven

Involuntary Twitch (XO)
alakazam
Phanel (M) <Synchronize>
Health: 20%
Energy: 34%
Chills: 2/3
Commands: Reflect ~ Chill ~ Shock Wave
- Quite damp. Protected by reflect (2 more actions).

Kratos Aurion (XO)
osgrave-bluwiikoon.gif

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent> @ Razor Claw
Health: 13%
Energy: 58%
Commands: Protect/Surf/Agility ~ Protect/Brine/Swords Dance ~ Protect/Surf/Agility
- Cursing his paralysis. Torrent activated. Focused. Paralyzed (severe).

Phanel closes his physical eyes and turns his inner sight to the hazy future, trying to make sense of the jumble of possible timelines spinning off from this moment. As he sorts through the tangle of conflicting events, the alakazam at last finds one to his liking and teases it free, framing it in his mind and stretching a psychic bridge to that not-so-distant instant.

A faint rainbow haze surrounds Phanel's spoons as he begins to feed psychic energy along the conduit he's created, but so far as Räsvelg can tell the alakazam is just meditating or something. With the power of his torrent ability storming through his body, he feels ready to take on the world, more eager than anything to call on the power of water to smite his opponent. There's only one small problem: his paralyzed muscles still refuse to cooperate. The osgrave manages to let out enough of a gurgling yell to rally the marsh's waters to his cause, but it is difficult to maintain his concentration when his entire body is locked in the painful grasp of paralysis. He does manage to pull together a decent-sized wave, its underside coursing with rivulets of glowing blue as Räsvelg's torrent does its work. Bits of the wave shiver and slough off, raining down prematurely as the osgrave's control slips, but most of it hangs together long enough to engulf Phanel and sweep him away, spluttering.

This time the surf attack actually deposits Phanel in the water, and the alakazam flails about for a few seconds before realizing that it is shallow enough for him to simply stand up where he is. His future trap set, he prepares a more immediate attack on his opponent. Familiar sparks dance and flicker around the alakazam's spoons, and Räsvelg desperately begins to pour energy outward, trying to shore up a protective dome to shield himself from the attack. His accursed paralysis hasn't lessened, though, and his protect is relatively weak and flimsy; when Phanel releases his shock wave and crooked fingers of electricity stab out across the arena, it is all Räsvelg can do to shore up his defenses and hope that his shield doesn't go down.

In the end the protect holds, if only barely, and Räsvelg lets it go with a weary sigh. Across the arena, Phanel's reflect likewise fades from sight, though the alakazam seems unperturbed, both by the failure of his shock wave and the loss of his reflect. He charges electricity in his spoons again, though this time when he releases the attack it stays concentrated in a searing, condensed beam, rather than crawling in all directions. Räsvelg's muscles have finally relaxed, but he nevertheless struggles to throw up another protect so soon. He is tired, and summoning so much energy again so soon is a considerable strain.

A shaky dome of translucent energy flickers in the air around Räsvelg as the charge beam approaches, but it can't stand against the actual attack; the charge beam punches through the weak protect and strikes Räsvelg squarely. The osgrave struggles to keep his feet as the electrical attack rattles his system, sweeping his wings forward to shroud his body. While Phanel feels a fizzing of new energy, the residue of his charge beam, Räsvelg is left terribly drained, only barely conscious. A high-pitched whine sounds in the air around him, and the weary osgrave starts to turn. Before he can figure out what is going on, a portal through space and time opens in the air behind him, disgorging a scintillating ball of psychic energy. The future sight attack zings towards him but ultimately misses, slamming into the ground nearby in a shower of mud.

Though Phanel grumbles and makes a violent gesture when he sees his future sight fail, for Räsvelg it makes little difference. The persistent pecking of hail, though small in relation to everything else he's endured, is finally too much for the osgrave to bear. He stands strong for as long as he can, but in the end he succumbs to blackness, falling into unconscious.

Involuntary Twitch (XO)
alakazam
Phanel (M) <Synchronize>
Health: 7%
Energy: 20%
Commands: Future Sight ~ Shock Wave ~ Charge Beam
Victorious!

Kratos Aurion (XX)
osgrave-bluwiikoon.gif

Räsvelg (M) <Torrent> @ Razor Claw
Health: 0%
Energy: 39%
Commands: Surf ~ Protect ~ Protect
Knocked Out!

The stands erupt with cheers as Kratos Aurion recalls his last pokémon, and Phanel can't entirely suppress his joy at having won, however narrowly. The hollering and clamor continues as the two battlers walk around the edge of the arena to shake hands and Phanel poses for the crowd, spoons flaring with light as he waves them above his head. At long last, the first battle of the third round is complete, sending Involuntary Twitch on to the tournament's semifinal round.

Involuntary Twitch wins $30 and a rare candy; Kratos Aurion gets $20. I get $25. In terms of experience, Ganteiana and Räsvelg get one point, Antares gets two, and Phanel gets three. Best of luck in the fourth round, Involuntary Twitch, and good battle to the both of you.

Last edited:
another loss this is unacceptable >| where is the phone book I am calling KFC I bet gryphons taste good with breading

Good game, Twitch; it was fun while it lasted. I am not liking these recent hits to my previously impressive win record, but you're a worthy opponent. And I still get my gliscor. Good luck in the rest of the tourney.

(Exp distribution?)

god-effing-dammit but paralysis screws me over every time

every

single

time

I am giving every single pokémon I own an operation so that its ability is limber. >|

Oh, wow, that was only the second most intense match I've ever had, next to the one in the gladiator arena with my Tropius that never died. And yes Paralysis is hax. :x Good game! Really all down to chance for that last one. Thanks. :3

Back
Top Bottom