• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

syphondblade vs. Alraunne

fffk--

Aaand I mathfailed again. Boo is actually at 78% health; I'll fix it now. I don't think that would impact your commands as they are too much, but if you want to reorder or something then you can. Sorry. *headdesk* This is why I need to redo those calculators...

by the way syphond good luck in ishmadal :B

syphondblade vs. Alraunne, Round Six

Pre-Round Stats

syphondblade (1/2 Pokémon Remaining)

Gastly
ShadeSpire (M) [Levitate]
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
ShadeSpire's Commands: Hypnosis/Double Team ~ Confuse Ray/Double Team ~ Dream Eater/Shadow Ball

Alraunne (1/2 Pokémon Remaining)

Haunter
Boo (M) [Levitate] @Lucky Egg
Health: 88%
Energy: 90%
Boo's Commands: Taunt ~ Confuse Ray/Shadow Punch/Sleep Talk ~ Shadow Ball/Shadow Punch/Sleep Talk

Arena: Tower of Chasms

The Tower of Chasms is located in a mountain range close to Kanto. It used to be a huge tourist attraction, before is was closed down. The reason: frequent visits by Darkrai. Now no one goes into the tower. Any one who does, disappears... so why not have a battle here?

Once every four turns, there is 20% chance that one of the pokémon battling will fall into a moderate sleep. Since Dark, Ghost and Psychic are used to power such as those, Darkrai's powers don't affect them. Kanto's government also named the Tower of Chasms as an ancient wonder, so it must not be damaged in any way. No moves with an original base power of 100 or higher can be used. Weather moves are not allowed either, as the battle will be inside.

Round Six: Begin

For the second time a gaseous specter replaces one of the fallen, ShadeSpire the gastly taking shape in the air several yards away from the victorious Boo. He doesn't waste time with any creepy giggling, instead capitalizing on the advantage Psych's thunder wave gave him and closing the gap between him and the other ghost. Boo snickers and opens his mouth, all sorts of deliciously nasty insults on the tip of his long tongue and ready to fly, but before he can fling a single zinger he makes the mistake of looking his junior directly in the eye. The brief eye contact is all ShadeSpire needs to work his magic, sending waves of psychic energy in Boo's direction and causing the haunter to nod off within seconds.

Heartened by the ease with which he disabled his opponent, ShadeSpire decides to try piling yet another inconvenience onto the heap. A bright, whitish light seems to dance forward from the gastly's glowing eyes, drifting lazily across the chamber and circling around the sleeping Boo. Both trainers, and even the referee, can't help but find the swaying and bobbing of the fairy-light entrancing, distracting; with his eyes shut in slumber, however, Boo cannot appreciate the pretty display and ignores the confuse ray entirely. Instead he begins to mumble in his sleep, a mixture of dreamy nonsense and the insults he'd been eager to hurl at his opponent. His mumbling grows louder and louder as the last of the confuse ray fades away, but before he can say anything intelligible a vicious spasm runs through his entire body. The haunter actually aspirates his own tongue momentarily as he struggles against the paralysis; his undead nature keeps him from actually choking on it, but he looks decidedly restless and unhappy when he finally manages to cough it back out.

ShadeSpire sighs and decides to be thankful for the interruption of Boo's sleep talk, disturbing as it was, especially after his own confuse ray proved ineffectual. It's probably of little consequence in the end anyway, after all. Boo is asleep and paralyzed, and he most certainly has the upper hand. A good dream eater should extend that lead nicely, but before he can get to work on it the referee starts. "Hey... hey, uh... wait!" He still seems a little distracted by the confuse ray, but he collects himself quickly enough. "Dream eater's not allowed. You can't do that."

In his surprise--wait a minute, not allowed?--ShadeSpire fails to notice that Boo has started to mumble in his fitful sleep again. The haunter manages to avoid swallowing his own tongue and finally gets a few words out. Rather than offensive jabs at ShadeSpire's character, however, the words that tumble forth are darker, heavier. Not one is recognizable as anything in a language those present understand, but something about the tone causes hair to stand on end and shivers to run involuntarily down spines. A blood-red aura surrounds the haunter and his voice drops to a terrifying growl, then a hiss, then a whisper; his eyes snap open just as he utters the final word, and suddenly ShadeSpire finds himself surrounded by an identical aura. Only as the the reddish haze seems to tighten around him does he finally recognize it for what it is. He thrashes around, twisting his form this way and that, but it is too late for him to escape the grasp of the curse. The aura pulses erratically and sends a wave of excruciating pain through the gastly's body; all thoughts of an easy victory or any prior mistakes quickly give way to panic.

Boo forces a smile onto his face now that he is fully awake again. The terrible curse he laid on his foe was not without great cost, and he doesn't think he's felt this under the weather in quite some time. Still, as long as ShadeSpire is preoccupied, he's confident that he still has a chance.

Round Six: Close

Post-Round Stats

Gastly
Health: 90%
Energy: 92%
Status: Cursed (10% damage/round); feeling nervous and frightened despite his lead

Haunter
Health: 38%
Energy: 82%

Arena Status: Nothing has changed.

Ref's Notes
-Confuse ray is a visual attack involving light. Since Boo was asleep, he couldn't see it and the move failed.
-Boo was fully paralyzed on the second action.
-Boo's sleep talk called curse.
-The arena rules state that attacks with a base power of 100 or more can't be used. Dream eater's BP is 100, so ShadeSpire was unable to execute it.
-The exertion required to use curse woke Boo up at the end of the round.
-...pretty crappy round across the board, huh?
-Alraunne attacks first next round.
-It was, yeah; sorry about that. I told TX at the beginning that it would be more interesting with some sort of level parity. I mean, imagine if Jiggly were still in D:

aaa! This is looking worse and worse, Boo, but at least you're awake again. We're going to have to get crazy!

Start with, hm.. Substitute. Then, Pain Split. And finally Shadow Ball. If it tries to attack you back, attempt to Protect if your substitute has been destroyed. If it uses Protect itself, use Double Team, but not more than once.

Substitute (10%) ~ Pain Split/Protect/Double Team (3 clones) ~ Shadow Ball/Protect/Double Team (3 clones)

Stupid me and forgetting my own rules. That curse is going to be annoying, but due to Boo's bad timing, I think we can use it to our advantage. Thanks to paralyze, your faster, so use Taunt. That will get rid of Substitute, Pain Split, Protect, and Double Team, essentially making Boo's first and second rounds useless. Next use Shadow Ball for some good, well earned revenge. Finally, take him to near dead with one more Shadow Ball.

Taunt~ Shadow Ball~ Shadow Ball

syphondblade vs. Alraunne, Round Seven

Pre-Round Stats

Gastly
Health: 90%
Energy: 92%
Status: Cursed (10% damage/round); feeling nervous and frightened despite his lead
ShadeSpire's Commands: Taunt ~ Shadow Ball ~ Shadow Ball

Haunter
Health: 38%
Energy: 82%
Boo's Commands: Substitute (10%) ~ Pain Split/Protect/Double Team ~ Shadow Ball/Protect/Double Team

The Tower of Chasms is located in a mountain range close to Kanto. It used to be a huge tourist attraction, before is was closed down. The reason: frequent visits by Darkrai. Now no one goes into the tower. Any one who does, disappears... so why not have a battle here?

Once every four turns, there is 20% chance that one of the pokémon battling will fall into a moderate sleep. Since Dark, Ghost and Psychic are used to power such as those, Darkrai's powers don't affect them. Kanto's government also named the Tower of Chasms as an ancient wonder, so it must not be damaged in any way. No moves with an original base power of 100 or higher can be used. Weather moves are not allowed either, as the battle will be inside.

Round Seven: Begin

You... you're pretty bad at this, aren't you?

Boo's head snaps up and he glares across the chamber, fixing his eyes on the shivering gastly some distance away. ShadeSpire doesn't look terribly confident even as he tries to put on a fierce face, tormented as he is by the curse, but something about his words still stings slightly. Maybe it's the fact that the insult comes from an unevolved pokémon, one that, by all rights, should be inferior. As if reading his mind, ShadeSpire continues:

Y-ou got messed up by an abra and now you c-can't even b-beat me, and I'm just a gastly. What's the matter, b-big bad haunter? No skill to back up that st-stupid grin you keep plastered all over your ugly face?

The haunter trembles, struggling to fight back the anger welling up within him. His junior's stammered taunt's shouldn't be affecting him like this... but they do, and whether it's because he's too drained after that curse to offer much mental resistance or because that timid raspberry ShadeSpire throws his way just pushes him over the top, Boo flies straight off the handle. Angry red fills his vision and all thoughts of creating a substitute are immediately dismissed as trivial nonsense--he'll be damned if he doesn't tear that gastly wisp from wisp with his own bare hands.

His violent thoughts are interrupted when a blob of ghostly energy rockets across the room and tears straight through his body. ShadeSpire flinches almost as soon as he launches the attack, expecting some sort of horrible retribution from his irate foe; the curse gnawing away at him doesn't leave him much room for the confidence he should otherwise be feeling. When Boo does not retaliate, he looks up in surprise. The haunter is still floating in place, reassembling himself and ranting about how pain split is pretty much the dumbest idea ever when he could totally be ripping ShadeSpire a new one with his bare hands.

Finally feeling as though he's endured enough of his trainer's commands that do not involve tearing ShadeSpire apart with his bare hands, Boo rears back and prepares to let that nasty little snot have it. ShadeSpire gulps and heaves another shadow ball at his opponent, hoping desperately that it will be just enough to finish him off. The haunter just manages to hang onto consciousness long enough to fly forward and lash out, dragging wickedly clawed fingers through ShadeSpire's form with abandon. The attack is mercifully brief, Boo's senses returning to him at last as he is able to vent his rage; ShadeSpire pulls away, shuddering violently with fear and the effects of the ever-present curse, and takes little comfort in the fact that Boo seems exhausted and as though he is having difficulty keeping his gaseous body intact.

Round Seven: Close

Post-Round Stats

Gastly
Health: 74%
Energy: 74%
Status: Cursed (10% damage/round); IthinkIcanIthinkIcanIthinkaaaahestilllooksscary

Haunter
Health: 3% (CAPPED)
Energy: 79%
Status: Paralyzed (mild); still furious, but feeling absolutely horrible after his return to sanity

Ref's Notes
-Boo hit the cap on the third action.
-syphondblade attacks first next round.

Shadow Ball to finish him, Double Team if he uses Protect, and Sucker Punch when he is attacking.

Shadow Ball/ Double Team/ Sucker Punch~ Shadow Ball/ Double Team/ Sucker Punch~ Shadow Ball/ Double Team/ Sucker Punch

(Why did Pain Split not work? Do the attacks that can be used during Taunt in ASB differ from ingame? I was looking on Veekun at moves that you can't use under Taunt vs. moves you can use under Taunt, and most moves that don't work with Taunt are "meta towards target", while moves that do work under Taunt are "Special damage towards target". Pain Split is also "special damage towards target". Heck, even Bide works under Taunt and you don't do any damage for two turns... but I'm not sure if that's the same in ASB.

I'm just going on that, I've never used it ingame under Taunt so I'm not 100% sure.)

Hm. I had assumed that pain split would be blocked because it is counted as a status move as opposed to a directly damaging move; bide is a physical and therefore a directly damaging move, albeit one with a delayed effect. I'm pretty sure taunt blocks all status moves regardless of whether or not they're capable of causing damage. (And technically pain split doesn't cause damage or even heal damage, if I'm remembering the mechanics correctly; it just adjusts both battlers' HP, which isn't the same nitpick nitpick etc.. That's why pain split is unaffected by things like heal block, iirc.) I can ask if it's different in ASB just to be sure, although either way a rewrite or new round will still be a while because I'm swamped for the rest of the week.

Eh, I guess I'd rather it be over quickly.

Boo, try to do a Destiny Bond. Maybe try to combine it with the quick-preparation of Endure? That's our best bet. If that doesn't work, well, it doesn't look like there's nothing much else you can do. Sorry, buddy. Could try another Pain Split, but that's just prolonging the inevitable.

Endure + Destiny Bond ~ nothing I guess

Last edited:
syphondblade vs. Alraunne, Round Eight

Pre-Round Stats

Gastly
Energy: 74%
Status: Cursed (10% damage/round); IthinkIcanIthinkIcanIthinkaaaahestilllooksscary
ShadeSpire's Commands: Shadow Ball/Double Team/Sucker Punch ~ Shadow Ball/Double Team/Sucker Punch ~ Shadow Ball/Double Team/Sucker Punch

Haunter
Health: 3% (CAPPED)
Energy: 79%
Status: Paralyzed (mild); still furious, but feeling absolutely horrible after his return to sanity
Boo's Commands: Endure + Destiny Bond ~ Nothing

Round Eight: Begin

Shadows accumulate in front of ShadeSpire's face, twisting themselves into the form of the now all-too-familiar shadow ball. The nervous look has not left the gastly's face even now that Boo seems to have calmed down; the harrowing curse still has him tight in its grip, making him that much more desperate to be rid of Boo once and for all. The attack sails through the air and across the chamber, colliding cleanly with the flagging haunter and very nearly tearing his gaseous, purple body to shreds... but only nearly. With mounting horror ShadeSpire watches the bluish light pull Boo back together, hold him in almost one piece so that he can survive the attack. Boo blinks balefully at his foe, now too tired and defeated for even anger. If only, the haunter thinks, if only he could've found a way to fight back and take ShadeSpire down with him...

Wishing, unfortunately, cannot make it so. ShadeSpire is still very much conscious, which is more than Boo can say about himself, and terrified as he is the gastly is not going to be going down any time soon. The final shadow ball passes through Boo almost without his feeling it, only half a second of pain registering before his body loses its shape entirely and his thoughts fade to black.

As soon as Boo's vaporous form settles lower to the floor and ceases to move, ShadeSpire does an about face and heads straight for his trainer. syphondblade jumps and is quick to recall him before they make contact; granted, he was probably only frightened and looking for a reassuring pat or hug, but the trainer doesn't exactly relish the thought of touching the cold, poisonous mist that makes up his pokémon. He does smile as ShadeSpire dissolves into read light, however, and gives the poké ball clenched in his hand a proud smile. Alraunne, meanwhile, sighs and recalls her own pokémon. The two trainers move to the center of the room and shake hands before making their way back out and locating the nearest pokémon center; their referee is quick to follow, his mind already on the adjustments he needs to make to his scales and calculators.

The last echoes of their footsteps have only just died away when the shadows shift again. A single eye opens and watches the empty doorway the humans have just disappeared through, its gaze almost wistful, longing. The eye closes seconds later, however, and the tower's interior is still.

Round Eight: Close

Post-Round Stats

Gastly
Energy: 60%

Alraunne (0/2 Pokémon Remaining)

Haunter
Health: 0%
Energy: 69%

Ref's Notes
-Word of God says that endure and destiny bond can't be combined in any way, so Boo just decided to try his luck with endure alone. As such he survived the first attack, but didn't have an order for the next action and so was knocked out by the second.
-The match is over and syphondblade is the winner. He gets $16 for winning and Psych and ShadeSpire both get 2 exp. Alraunne gets $6, Sully gets 1 exp (and can use his dusk stone to evolve) and Boo gets 3 exp thanks to his lucky egg. I get $10 for reffing. Good match, you two. It would've been a lot closer if sleep talk hadn't rolled curse when it did; hopefully it was at least marginally enjoyable anyway.

Back
Top Bottom