• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 7]

Re: TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 5]

Either that is actually hilariously ironic, or very suspicious. To me, at least, the good thing about these roleclaims is the Myserious Informants are giving us useful information, and the "mafia can't kill you all in one night" thing is a bit out of the blue, no?

Ironic, please. I...really don't know what I was thinking when I said that.

Now might as well be as a good of a time as anytime else to roleclaim: I am a channeler (Willing Channeler with Powers Via Possession) turned bodyguard.

Um, Seri, there is a stratification of win conditions from ideal to less ideal and so forth. Here is said stratification as it applies to me, from best win to worst loss:

1. Last person standing (obviously not going to happen now)
2. Last mafioso, innocent victory (what I am aiming for now since I have been exposed as mafia)
3. Kill at least one Big Bad, stay alive, mafia victory
4. Kill at least one Big Bad, innocent victory
5. Kill at least one Big Bad, mafia victory
6. Stay alive, innocent/mafia victory (loss)
7. Innocent/mafia victory (loss)

I "win" because 6 and 7 are impossible now as I've killed a Big Bad -- if you lynch me now, I still "win" which is why I'm not terribly opposed to being lynched. Still, I would like to shoot for a better win if possible! If you are still suspicious of my claim, note that Mawile was found with a knife in their back -- i.e., they were backstabbed.

To answer Kratos's question, Tailsy apparently could choose whether they wanted to use science or magic. I can dig up more information on Superbird and res if you'd like, but I want all votes towards me erased before you can expect any more information out of me.

EDIT: Something that is probably helpful to know, I cannot kill anyone but the Big Bad. Meaning, I am harmless to innocents. Captain Obvious was just a cooked up cover because I still wanted to remain "innocent" until a situation arose like Inspector Hasty here today.

You can't win when you're dead, right?
Win conditions in this game can be anything and can have multiple priority levels (i.e. you win if you do this, but you win more if you do this), but even in standard mafia, all players of a winning alignment win regardless of whether they were living or dead at the end of the game. It's an exception for death to directly make a player lose; even third-party alignments usually lose upon death not because they died but because once they're dead they can no longer fulfill their win condition.

So I guess that there's no point lynching Vixie at the moment? Oh wow, I am so confused with all this new information popping up o_o;;

Also Leafstorm, are you by any chance channelling Dave Strider?

Okay, I think Vixie is full of crap. Sure, she may have a win condition similar to what she says, but half of what she's said is a lie, and, heck, her schtick in every mafia game is to play everyone against each other, regardless of if it's her role or not. I know a lot of you are hesitant about lynching her, but I have a solution: deliberate overdose. Healers, everyone target Vixie if she's not lynched by day's end.

(I'm hesitant to say why I know she's lying, as that will put me in greater danger, but suffice to say she is either definitely lying about Tailsy's initial alignment or powers.)

Um. I think you're missing the whole point about killing me is only going to hurt you in the long run. I mean, hey, you can -- I still win. I am not lying about my win condition at all, and if there's an oracle, feel free to check it (though you'd be wasting your night action.)

For the record, "I'm hesitant to say why" is a terrible gambit. Perhaps you are mafia?

Last edited:

I say we kill Vixie. We don't have much to gain by keeping her alive, and if she's lying (which, really, isn't out of the question, is it?) we're screwed.

I say we kill Vixie. We don't have much to gain by keeping her alive, and if she's lying (which, really, isn't out of the question, is it?) we're screwed.
Actually, you have a lot to gain. Information on previous mafia deaths, and a nightly inspection. But hey, I guess that's not useful at all. You had your chances~

Vixie.

Last edited:

like one person is still voting you. are you going to insist we kill you?

this is a vote for abstain woooo

I'm not hanging on the will on a mafioso who's admitted to lying to us in the past.

My vote for Vixie still stands.

Leafpool said:
Now might as well be as a good of a time as anytime else to roleclaim:

that is true! I am a Mysterious Informant and my power is Expospeak.

Role PM said:
In particular, you've heard it might be dangerous to reveal your true name in this town: there's somebody around who might use it against you...

I assume this is related to the I Know Your True Name trope, but until recently I haven't thought it that useful. However! Every Innocent that has been mafia'd has roleclaimed.

Superbird was vigilante'd by Walker. Superbird also couldn't roleclaim which was part of his role - and was mafia. After Walker roleclaimed, he died.

These innocents have already been mafia'd after roleclaiming: Dave Strider, Walker, Skylark, Zhorken, Mai, Lupine Volt. Kusari made particularly useful posts that also suggested a roleclaiming pattern. Littlestream also roleclaimed, but was lynched.

Have any people now revealed as mafia roleclaimed? Tailsy didn't, I don't think, and we already know we can't trust Vixie. I have no idea what the hell happened to sres.

From this I think it's probably that the mafia can only kill someone if they know their role or power or both, so I suspect that I or someone else who has roleclaimed but isn't dead yet (like Emerald Espeon) will probably be mafia'd next.

I really don't think we can trust Vixie at all because we know she's lied about her role. Superbird was mafia and couldn't reveal his role - I think this is probably the same with Vixie, so she's been lying. In any case, since we know she's mafia, we should lynch her; I really don't like the idea of her 'being helpful' because Vixie likes to win. She'll help the mafia, not us, by staying alive. Lynch Vixie.

also, so I don't edit my posts: I recommend that if you have a useful role (inspector, healer, etc) do not roleclaim for now. Vixie has said she's an inspector equivalent, so getting rid of her will protect more of us.

Okay, I think Vixie is full of crap. Sure, she may have a win condition similar to what she says, but half of what she's said is a lie, and, heck, her schtick in every mafia game is to play everyone against each other, regardless of if it's her role or not. I know a lot of you are hesitant about lynching her, but I have a solution: deliberate overdose. Healers, everyone target Vixie if she's not lynched by day's end.

(I'm hesitant to say why I know she's lying, as that will put me in greater danger, but suffice to say she is either definitely lying about Tailsy's initial alignment or powers.)

Doesn't anyone else find this somewhat suspicious?

Meh. Abstain for me.

I still find it somewhat odd that everyone thinks I'm against the innocents. I only killed Mawile. You're all hurting yourselves and I am laughing so hard.

Last edited:

I assume this is related to the I Know Your True Name trope, but until recently I haven't thought it that useful. However! Every Innocent that has been mafia'd has roleclaimed.

Lupine Volt did not roleclaim. Neither did Kusari, IIRC. Lupine Volt's death was different from the others, but Kusari's matched Dave Strider's. So I don't believe that whoever causes the splatters of gore, at least, is a trope killer.

* bleeding out the ears is definitively dockill

Hold on. This doesn't really make sense. Superbird died with blood coming out of his ears, but no innocent in their right mind would have healed him. Unless there is more than one Mafia doctor, and they can't communicate? However, that would also mean that Walker's massive internal bleeding when he died wasn't due to healer clash, but something else, otherwise Superbird would also have been found like that.

Vixie ♥;455026 said:
And for a juicy little tidbit, Tailsy was brainjacked into joining the mafia by a Mysterious Employer. They were originally but a humble doctor. Whenever a mafioso dies, I learn about them and their history.

Incidentally, I am a double troper. I am The Chessmaster... and The Starscream. Naturally, a Magnificent Bastard such as I carries a Legitimate Businessmens Social Club card. But it's only a guise. I'm more of a separate entity. Why is this? Because I have Chronic Backstabbing Syndrome. I want mafia dead as much as the rest of the innocents. It's how I roll.

And I've already won. My goal was to uncover and stab Big Bad at least once. Having inspected Mawile as Big Bad, I killed them the next night after failing to get them lynched. Zing.

Apparently mafia knows who I am, but they cannot target me. Which would explain why I haven't died yet, and why Mawile tried to expose me when I accused them.

So yes, I am technically mafia, and my ideal best-win condition is last mafia standing amongst an innocent victory. There you have it! You can kill me now, or I can keep searching for the new Big Bad. Up to you~

If the Mafia can't kill you, then the only way you can die is by a public lynching (or other innocent-related killing method). Why, then, would you a) not say on Day 1 "Hey guys! I'm on your side and will get lots of good information and I'm immune from the Mafia! Love meeeeeee", or b) admit all this when you first revealed Mawile as Mafia, rather than the whole "mysterious numbers" thing?

Not that I really care, since I'm not going to believe anything you say at this point, but I thought I'd point out the GIANT LOGIC HOLES for other people.

Precisely. All NWT had to do was say "hey guys Vixie is mafia let's lynch her!!!!" and then whups there I go. I'm still mafia. There's going to be people who'll lynch me because of that fact alone. Also I can still get dockilled. Why is this so "GIGANTIC LOGIC HOLE"? There are games with roles that are completely immune to being shot at night. Why is mine such a stretch?

Again, I honestly don't care since I already won. I'll just have to settle for a lesser win. I just thought I would offer some help, but see my first point.

Back
Top Bottom