• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

blazheirio889 vs. Crazy Linoone (ref: Squornshellous Beta)

Battle Format: 2vs2 Single
Battle Style: Set
DQ: One Week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned: OHKOs, Perish Song, Destiny Bond. Direct healers are limited to 1 per Pokemon; chills are limited to 3 per Pokemon.
Arena: The Waffle of Many Awesome Condiments

You heard me.

That’s right, this is the next in the Linoone food arena series (though I’ve been given the privilege to write it out). This battle commences on a gigantic waffle that stretches out as far as the eye can see – squares upon squares of soft, delicious breakfast food.

Even the most scrumptious of delicacies can be made better with the right condiment, though. And this is where the biggest quirk of this arena comes in: when the trainers issue their commands, they are also to fill in a waffle square with a condiment of their choice in a heated game of tic-tac-toe. However, the tic-tac-toe order is determined separately from that of the commanding order at the beginning of the match for game-balancing purposes. Therefore, trainer one could be attacking first, but filling in their square second. Tic-tac-toe turns alternate and are not affected by the time-distorting skillz of Trick Room.

Whenever a trainer wins a game of tic-tac-toe, a Snorlax will inexplicably drop out of nowhere, squashing the loser’s Pokemon for 5% typeless damage. The Snorlax will then proceed to drain all the syrups and sauces from the waffle squares (oh, horror!), but will thankfully be incapacitated by the referee before it can get to nomming the actual battlefield itself. In the event that the tic-tac-toe game ends in a tie, the Snorlax will drop out of nowhere regardless, but simply will not land on a Pokemon. It’ll still suck up all the condiments, though.

And finally, I’ve saved the best for last: the condiments. You can put your tongue back in your head now.
Awesomesauce: explodes with awesomeness when thrown. Abbreviated as A.
Maple syrup: gives +1 speed to the consumer due to sugar overload. Also explodes with awesomeness. Abbreviated as M.
Regular syrup: gives +1 attack to the consumer due to I’unno. Abbreviated as R.
High fructose corn syrup: deals 5% typeless damage when thrown/consumed due to ohlookabutterfly *runs* Abbreviated as C.
Butter: it’s slippery. Think of it as on-waffle ice. Abbreviated as B.
Honey: gives +1 sp. attack to the consumer due to it being… the counterpart to regular syrup, somehow. No, I don’t know either. Sorry. Abbreviated as H.

In addition, part of the waffle can be consumed to heal 5% health.

Blazhy is abbreviated as B and Crazy Linoone as C.

And an example of a tic-tac-toe game in case it isn’t clear:

Blazhy’s turn:
[ ] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

Linoone’s turn:

[HC] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

etc.
Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Ability: Hydration
Health: 73%
Energy: 28%
Commands: Substitute (15%) ~ Chill ~ Waterfall
Chills: 1/3
Healings: 0/1

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Ability: Synchronize
Health: 41%
Energy: 80%
Status: Giga Drains are not useless on Substitutes, it seems. Special attack +2, special defense +2; light screen in effect (one more round); encored (one more action); Giga Drain disabled (one more round).
Commands: Chill ~ Calm Mind ~ Sunny Day
Chills: 2/3

Round 12 Begin!

Yet again, two globs of toppings fall onto the waffle, this time identical to one another.

With Kwak'waka still asleep, Khionas is free to use her own move. As she did earlier in the battle, she begins to freeze the air around her; soon enough the forming ice is Seel-shaped. Closing her eyes, Khionas transfers some of her own energy to the ice sculpture. Its clear body turns white, and it begins moving. Kwak'waka also begins to move, stirring slightly and pulling her head out from under her wing, blinking and looking around blearily.

Kwak'waka now focusses on clearing her mind, removing obstructions that prevent her from using the full measure of ther psychic powers, and her eyes take on a pink glow. Khionas lies down and begins snoring slightly, much to Kwak'waka's surprise, though the Substitute keeps a watch on her inactive form.

Reasoning that it can only be good if your opponent goes to sleep, Kwak'waka begins pouring energy into the atmosphere, her eyes glowing a pale orange as the snowclouds thin and vanish and the light - Kwak'waka suddenly realizes that she doesn't know where it's coming from - intensifies, accompanied by a noticable rise in temperature. As if responding to the changing weather, Khionas suddenly wakes up. She immediately dives towards the pool of maple syrup, enters it with a plop, and then leaps back out with the stuff swirling around her, hurtling straight for Kwak'waka, and impacting with a thonk. The syrup ceases its swirling and falls to the ground, soaking Kwak'waka's feathers in the process.

Kwak'waka's translucent shield suddenly fades away to nothing, and at the same time her inexplicable feeling of being missing something vanishes.

Round 12 End!

Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Health: 58%
Energy: 25%
Attacks Used: Substitute (15%) ~ Chill ~ Waterfall
Ani086MS.png
Substitute
Health:
15%

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Health: 35%
Energy: 82%
Status: Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew! Special attack +3, special defense +3.
Attacks used: Chill ~ Calm Mind ~ Sunny Day

Damage / Energy Calculations
Chill - restored 10% energy
Substitute - 15% health (Khionas), 7% energy
Calm Mind - 4% energy
Sunny Day - 4% energy
Waterfall - 6% damage, 6% energy (accuracy roll 45, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- WAAAAAAAAAAFLES

Arena Notes
- There is a glob of Toxic on the ground some distance to the left of where Canyon was; touching it may well poison someone.
- The sunlight is harsh three more rounds)
The waffle looks like this:
4qp1j.jpg

(That bit at the bottom is the pool; it's maple syrup too dilute to cause a speed boost)

Next Round
- Linoone attacks
- blazhy attacks and fills in a square
- Linoone fills in a square
- I ref

Last edited:
(Derp Khonias still has a Substitute, yes?)

Lalala.

Time for fun stuff.

First, us your awesome overpowered Psychic to dump the Substitute in some High Fructose Corn Syrup, which I will be ordering to be placed on the waffle in a moment. Keep the Sub in the syrup for continuous damage! If the seel Protects on the first action, SOLAR FRIGGIN BEAM because you can.

On the second action, if there is a Substitute, repeat your Psychic dunking. If there is no Substitute, Giga Drain (health); however, if the seel Protects and the weather is Sunny, Substitute or not, SOLAR BEAM. If the seel Protects but it's not Sunny, Psychic.

After that, rinse and repeat. If there is still a Substitute for some strange reason (the seel's going to need to make a new one at this stage), Psychic it into corn syrup. If there is no Substitute, Giga Drain (health); however, if the seel Protects and the weather is Sunny, SOLAR BEAM, or Psychic if it Protects while it's not Sunny.

SOLAR BEAM deserves all caps.

Psychic/Solar Beam ~ Psychic/Giga Drain (health)/Solar Beam ~ Psychic/Giga Drain (health)/Solar Beam

*RNGGod shrine* *RNGGod shrine* *RNGGod shrine*

Mm. Well, thank heavens for that Sub... Chill while you still can, then fire an Ice Beam at Kwak'waka. Finish with Disable because even though I'm leery about the health she'll regain, I'm even more worried about an energy faint. Should the RNG gods be assholes and the Psychic scores a critical hit or something (basically, if the Sub is destroyed on action one), switch your last two actions around.

Chill ~ Ice Beam/Disable ~ Disable/Ice Beam

[BM] [CA] [BA]
[ ] [BH] [CA]
[CA] [BA] [CA]

But I already tainted the waffle with honey and maple syrup ): I am ashamed.

Banned: OHKOs, Perish Song, Destiny Bond. Direct healers are limited to 1 per Pokemon; chills are limited to 3 per Pokemon.

You heard me.

That’s right, this is the next in the Linoone food arena series (though I’ve been given the privilege to write it out). This battle commences on a gigantic waffle that stretches out as far as the eye can see – squares upon squares of soft, delicious breakfast food.

Even the most scrumptious of delicacies can be made better with the right condiment, though. And this is where the biggest quirk of this arena comes in: when the trainers issue their commands, they are also to fill in a waffle square with a condiment of their choice in a heated game of tic-tac-toe. However, the tic-tac-toe order is determined separately from that of the commanding order at the beginning of the match for game-balancing purposes. Therefore, trainer one could be attacking first, but filling in their square second. Tic-tac-toe turns alternate and are not affected by the time-distorting skillz of Trick Room.

Whenever a trainer wins a game of tic-tac-toe, a Snorlax will inexplicably drop out of nowhere, squashing the loser’s Pokemon for 5% typeless damage. The Snorlax will then proceed to drain all the syrups and sauces from the waffle squares (oh, horror!), but will thankfully be incapacitated by the referee before it can get to nomming the actual battlefield itself. In the event that the tic-tac-toe game ends in a tie, the Snorlax will drop out of nowhere regardless, but simply will not land on a Pokemon. It’ll still suck up all the condiments, though.

And finally, I’ve saved the best for last: the condiments. You can put your tongue back in your head now.
Maple syrup: gives +1 speed to the consumer due to sugar overload. Also explodes with awesomeness. Abbreviated as M.
High fructose corn syrup: deals 5% typeless damage when thrown/consumed due to ohlookabutterfly *runs* Abbreviated as C.
Honey: gives +1 sp. attack to the consumer due to it being… the counterpart to regular syrup, somehow. No, I don’t know either. Sorry. Abbreviated as H.

Blazhy’s turn:
[ ] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

Linoone’s turn:

[HC] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

etc.
Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Health: 58%
Commands: Chill ~ Ice Beam / Disable ~ Disable / Ice Beam
Ani086MS.png
Substitute
Health:
15%

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Health: 35%
Energy: 82%
Status: Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew! Special attack +3, special defense +3.
Commands: Psychic / Solarbeam ~ Psychic / Giga Drain (health) / Solarbeam ~ Psychic / Giga Drain (health) / Solarbeam

Round 12 Begin!

Two more of the inexplicable globs of topping fall onto the field.

Khionas, as before, lies down and begins gently snoring. Kwak'waka closes her eyes and spreads her mind outwards, looking for the faux-Seel that she's supposed to be dipping; upon finding it, she wraps her mind around its own. Rather than the clone lifting up and hurling towards the corn syrup, however, there is a strong distortion of the air around the clone and then it melts very suddenly, leaving just a pool of water on the ground. Kwak'waka observes this with a feeling of satisfaction, because it wasn't what she was ordered to do but who cares, it destroyed the clone.

Having finished her nap, the Seel stirs and awakens, just as that same old green aura surrounds her and pulls away towards Kwak'waka. It is absorbed into her, as usual. What is less ususal, however, is Khionas' eyes taking on the same red glow they have done only once before, and that glow duplicating itself onto Kwak'waka's eyes, fading to leave Kwak'waka with the same feeling of being missing something.

Kwak'waka attempts to use another Giga Drain, but for some reason she can't seem to use her mental energies in the same way anymore. After trying several times, she gives up and randomly uses one of the other things her trainer said. Her eyes glow bright white and a ball of concentrated solar energy forms in front of her, quickly growing to a massive size and firing a beam of the same energy at Khionas, whose skin is seared and burned by the tremendous force of the attack. Khionas moves to respond, a ball of ice-type energy forming above her horn and what appears to be blue electricity launching from it and towards Kwak'waka, who feels the exact opposite of searing burning heat as all warmth seems to leave her body. The beam fades away, as does the orb of blue energy.

Suddenly, as once before, the Pokéball on the referee's belt bursts open, and the massive Snorlax forms from the energy released. It proceeds once again to consume all the condiments in sight, starting with the maple syrup at the "top" of the battlefield and wirking its way "down". Just as it finishes off the last square of awesomesauce and is about to go for the super-dilute maple syrup, though, it slips on some spilt awesomesauce and falls into the hole it has just sucked dry. The referee considers for a short while whether to recall it or to leave it there where it can't cause any more trouble, but then realizes that a condiment might fall on top of it and drown it, because amazingly, it has fallen asleep once again. The referee mutters something about getting escape-proof Pokéballs for future battles as she recalls the inanimate form.

Round 12 End!

Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Health: 22%
Attacks Used: Chill ~ Disable ~ Ice Beam

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Health: 27%
Energy: 53%
Status: Cold... so cold... Special attack +3, special defense +3; Giga Drain disabled (three more actions).
Attacks used: Psychic ~ Giga Drain ~ Solarbeam
Chills: 3/3

Psychic - 17% damage, 10% energy (accuracy roll 61, needed 100 to miss)
Giga Drain - 12% damage, restored 6% health, 8% energy (accuracy roll 50, needed 100 to miss)
Disable - 3% energy (accuracy roll 51, needed 80 or above to miss)
Solarbeam - 24% damage, 11% energy (accuracy roll 84, needed 100 to miss)
Ice Beam - 14% damage, 7% energy (accuracy roll 84, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- WAAAAAAAAAAFLES
- Yes I calculated Ice Beam's freezing chance, it came up false.
- ...Wait, how did all the squares end up filled?
- Because she was unable to use Giga Drain and had no commands for that eventuality, Kwak'waka randomized her attack on the third action.
- Whoa. Solarbeam is a strong move.

Arena Notes
- There is a glob of Toxic on the ground some distance to the left of where Canyon was; touching it may well poison someone.
- The sunlight is harsh (two more rounds)
The waffle looks like this:
34pxllc.jpg

(That bit at the bottom is the pool; it's maple syrup too dilute to cause a speed boost)

Next Round
- blazhy attacks and fills in a square
- Linoone attacks and fills in a square
- I ref

Last edited:
Hold on, may I ask how you calculate your stat boosts? Blizzard did 13% damage before when Kwak'waka had +2 sp. def, which is a 1% boost per level by my calculations, but here it seems like Psychic got pumped 2% per boost.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I think Kwak'waka should've taken damage instead of healing...? o.o

Also, Blazhy's ordering first this round~

And also also, Kwa already Chilled three times and Khonias twice.

And, super minor side note, nothing can get frozen when the weather is Sunny, so you don't actually have to roll for Ice Beam's freezing chance.

Derp I fail at math

See this is what happens if I try to math in my head

I seem to be derping a lot recently

Fix'd

Did you know that a few years ago, I managed to add up numbers that should have added up to fifty, to sixty? Then my maths teacher saw it and was convinced I had it right, announced it to the class, and got a resounding "No it's fifty" from them. Him with a degree in maths.

Last edited:
Haha, everyone gets those once in a while. One of my friends would've gotten perfect on a math test if he hadn't wrote that 3 + 3 = 9.

Yeah you know what I'm not even going to pretend I know what I'm doing. It's epic-weird-combo-tiem. Ice Shard + Blizzard + Icicle Spear. So like... A Blizzard with a bunch of pointy ice blocks in it, or something. And Ice Shard just for the priority. Well! Hope it works!

Should Kwak'waka Protect or Detect or Endure or does something to weasel out of getting hit by your uber-priority... thing... just do nothing and use the combo on your next action.

Ice Shard + Blizzard + Icicle Spear/nothing ~ Ice Shard + Blizzard + Icicle Spear/nothing ~ Ice Shard + Blizzard + Icicle Spear/nothing

now watch me die horribly as Khionas goes "???"

[ ] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

It's okay, SB! Yu remind me of when I was a ref. Good times, good times. (Let's just say that Blazhy wasn't too pleased with my mathematical abilities either.)

(Psh Blazhy, using super crazy move combos at the end when you're about to die is my strategy! :p)

Well hrml. Since it's still Nice and Sunny out, why don't you Quick Attack + Fly (up) and get the heck out of that freeze storm, on the assumption that the seel manages to pull it off. After that, just Solar Beam that sucker from up high, like Blazhy's swablu did to poor Deathy a few rounds earlier.

Quick Attack + Fly (up) ~ Solar Beam

[ ] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [CA] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

Moar awesomesauce!

You heard me.

Blazhy’s turn:
[ ] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

Linoone’s turn:

[HC] [BB] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]
[ ] [ ] [ ]

etc.
Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Health: 22%
Commands: Ice Shard + Blizzard + Icicle Spear / nothing ~ Ice Shard + Blizzard + Icicle Spear / nothing ~ Ice Shard + Blizzard + Icicle Spear / nothing

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Energy: 53%
Status: Cold... so cold... Special attack +3, special defense +3; Giga Drain disabled (three more actions).
Commands: Quick Attack + Fly (up) ~ Solar Beam

Round 14 Begin!

As per ususal (oh god we're thinking of it as the usual now guys), the inexplicable toppings appear.

Kwak'waka is by far the first to move, darting at an incredible speed into the air, visible to those other than herself only as a greenish motion blur. Dismayed to see her opponent at such a height, Khionas reviews her commands for such a situation - nothing? Nothing? She's just supposed to sit around? She turns around to look beseechingly at her trainer to be allowed to make a move...

...Which turns out to be a bad idea, since Kwak'waka, with her close proximity to the intensely bright sun, charges the same ball of solar energy as last round, firing it at Khionas' back, the attack striking even as Khionas fully turns around. The beam sears her skin and nearly blinds her, and she collapses onto the ground. Khionas descends at the same blinding speed with which she rose up, landing next to Khionas' immobile form. She pokes it warily; then, upon realising that she has won, she begins dancing an impromptu jig.

The referee raises her flags and announces the end of the battle. Now, how do we get off this place?

Round 14 End!

Team blazhy
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg

Seel
Khionas (Female)
Health: 0%
Attacks Used: Nothing ~ Nothing

Team Linoone
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Natu
Kwak'waka (Female)
Energy: 44%
Status: But of course. Special attack +3, special defense +3.
Attacks used: Quick Attack + Fly ~ Solarbeam

Quick Attack + Fly - 9% energy
Solarbeam - 24% damage, 11% energy (accuracy roll 23, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- WAAAAAAAAAAFLES
- Hrrrrrrrng sorry guys this is by far the latest I've ever posted a reffing D: I only now just realised that Khionas wouldn't do the wierd-combo-thing and so my A&A question was moot.

Prizes
Okay. Crazy Magmar gets $16, blazhy gets $6, and I get $10. Lutchurium and Kwak'waka get 2EXP each, and Canyon and Khionas get 1EXP each. Good match, and fun to ref, although that Snorlax is hard to write for. Now I'm off to sell it.

Good game, Blazhy! You had me for... basically every round besides the last three here. That was probably the second closest battle I've had (the first one goes to the one in which I won with 1% Health).

And thanks for the awesome fast reffings, SB! *hands out forks to everyone* Omnomnom waffles.

Back
Top Bottom