• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Jack_the_Pumpkinking vs. Kratos Aurion (ref: Squornshellous Beta)

Squornshellous Beta

Pronoun
she/they/any
1vs1 single
Style: Set
DQ: Standard week
Damage cap: 60%
Banned moves: OHKO's; each Pokemon limited to one direct-healing move
Arena: Witches' Province

A magical corner of the world, inhabited primarily by witches and warlocks. The arena itself is in the center of a typical forest, with your standard-issue witch's cottage just on the arena's outskirts. Puffs of multicolored smoke have a habit of escaping the cottage's chimney, and can cause hallucinogenic effects on Pokemon that inhale them (which will be primarily or solely Flyers, since the smoke isn't heavier than air). This causes them to be moderately Confused but have random stat boosts to any combination of Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed, and Accuracy which are cumulatively equal to +6.

The arena itself, being so infused by magic, has some odd effects on Pokemon battling within it. At the end of each round, one of the following effects will occur:
18% chance that one Pokemon will receive a +2 boost to one stat (either Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed, and Accuracy) (3% each stat)
18% chance that one Pokemon will receive a -2 penalty to one stat (3% each stat)
12% chance that both Pokemon will receive a +1 boost to one stat (2% each stat)
12% chance that both Pokemon will receive a -1 penalty to one stat (2% each stat)
5% chance that one Pokemon will be given the effects of Magic Coat
5% chance that one Pokemon will receive Magic Guard in addition to its normal ability (this lasts for one round)
5% chance that Magic Room will go into effect (this is a Trick Room-like Gen V effect that removes all effects of items)
5% chance that one Pokemon will receive Magic Mirror in addition to its normal ability (all stat-lowering moves are reflected back to the user) (this lasts for one round)
5% chance that both Pokemon will recover 40% Health
5% chance that both Pokemon will recover 40% Energy
10% chance that nothing will happen
Jack_the_Pumpkinking's Active Squad
Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Ability: Overgrow

Rhyhorn
King Dodongo (Male)
Ability: Rock Head
Body Mod: Flexibility
Held Item: Protector

Tentacool
Barinade (Female)
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Body Mod: Shock Resistance

Ralts
Phantom Ganon (Male)
Ability: Synchronize
Held Item: Dawn Stone

Ninetales
Volvagia (Female)
Ability: Flash Fire
Move Mod: Swathe of Flame
Body Mod: Steel Helmet

Staryu
Morpha (Genderless)
Ability: Illuminate
Held Item: Water Stone

Duskull
Bongo-Bongo (Male)
Ability: Levitate
Held Item: Reaper Cloth

Togepi
Twinrova (Male)
Ability: Serene Grace

Houndour
Ganondorf (Male)
Ability: Flash Fire

Kratos Aurion's Active Squad
Charmander
Nazdrovie (Female)
Ability: Blaze

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Ability: Guts
Held Item: Lucky Egg

Eevee
Emil Castagnier (Male)
Ability: Adaptability
Held Item: Thunderstone

Dragonair
Yggdrasil (Male)
Ability: Shed Skin

Seedot
Sanjakubo (Male)
Ability: Chlorophyl
Held Item: Leaf Stone

Cranidos
Moloch (Male)
Ability: Mold Breaker

Croagunk-f
Juliet (Female)
Ability: Anticipation

wyrmal.png

Herculaneum (Male)
Ability: Magma Armor
Held Item: Exp. Share

skelitten.png

Sheo (Female)
Ability: Pressure
Held Item: Dusk Stone

Porygonz
Ghost in the Machine (Genderless)
Ability: Download
Held Item: Enigma Berry

First Round
- Jack_the_Pumpkinking sends out
- Kratos Aurion sends out and attacks
- Jack_the_Pumpkinking attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
Thanks for picking this up! I'm going to send out Queen Gohma.

(Also one of the images in Kratos's squad is broken but I guess that doesn't really matter unless that Pokemon gets sent out.)

Broken no longer.

EDIT: Jack, when you say that Magic Room comes into effect, is it a permanent effect, or temporary? If temporary, how long does it last? If permanent, then what happens if the same thing comes up?

...I've just made a large JS file to generate the effect each round. I'm that bored.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking this. I'll go ahead and toss out poor, neglected Norway, shall I?

Hm. Begin with a taunt, then zen headbutt, then ice beam. If she protects on the first action, focus energy, if she protects on the second give me a 15% substitute, and if she protects on the third defense curl. Also use substitute on the second or third actions if she's ordered to inflict a status condition on that action; go back to defense curl on the third action if you made a sub on the second.

Taunt/Focus Energy ~ Zen Headbutt/Substitute 15% ~ Ice Beam/Defense Curl/Substitute 15%

Er, as for Magic Room, I meant for it to last as long as it and all the other Gravity variations would if used by a Pokemon; that is to say, five turns in the games, which I've seen vary in ASB depending on refs, but which seems to be around five rounds.

And now to commands... why is rattata faster than bulbasaur We don't want to be Taunted because we want to be able to give status conditions, but not nonvolatile ones because we don't want to activate Guts. So start off with a Protect to block the taunt, then a Leech Seed and finish off with a Rock Smash to either do some super-effective damage or take a big chunk out of her substitute, depending on whether Squorn interprets "if ordered to inflict status" to include non-volatile status. And, uh, try to avoid that Ice Beam.

Protect ~ Leech Seed ~ Rock Smash

1vs1 single

A magical corner of the world, inhabited primarily by witches and warlocks. The arena itself is in the center of a typical forest, with your standard-issue witch's cottage just on the arena's outskirts. Puffs of multicolored smoke have a habit of escaping the cottage's chimney, and can cause hallucinogenic effects on Pokemon that inhale them (which will be primarily or solely Flyers, since the smoke isn't heavier than air). This causes them to be moderately Confused but have random stat boosts to any combination of Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed, and Accuracy which are cumulatively equal to +6.

The arena itself, being so infused by magic, has some odd effects on Pokemon battling within it. At the end of each round, one of the following effects will occur:
18% chance that one Pokemon will receive a +2 boost to one stat (either Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed, and Accuracy) (3% each stat)
18% chance that one Pokemon will receive a -2 penalty to one stat (3% each stat)
12% chance that both Pokemon will receive a -1 penalty to one stat (2% each stat)
5% chance that one Pokemon will receive Magic Guard in addition to its normal ability (this lasts for one round)
5% chance that Magic Room will go into effect (this is a Trick Room-like Gen V effect that removes all effects of items)
5% chance that one Pokemon will receive Magic Mirror in addition to its normal ability (all stat-lowering moves are reflected back to the user) (this lasts for one round)
Pre-Round Notes
After a nice, relaxing hike through the woods, the three Pokémon trainers come to a large clearing. With a house in it. That has multicolored smoke puffs coming out of its chimeny at random intervals. Well, best avoid that then. The three sit down on convenient stumps for a while to get their breath back, and chat; the idea of a battle comes up. It is instantly siezed upon, and both Jack_the_Pumpkinking and Kratos Aurion get up and assume places roughly befitting a battlefield. Squornshellous Beta remains seated as the two throw their Pokéballs forward, sending out a Bulbasaur and a Rattata. Squornshellous pulls out her referee flags - she always keeps them in her bag, just in case - and announces the start of the battle.

Team Jack_the_Pumpkinking
1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Protect ~ Leech Seed ~ Rock Smash
Healings: 0/1

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Taunt / Focus Energy ~ Zen Headbutt / Substitute (15%) ~ Ice Beam / Defense Curl / Substitute (15%)
Item: Lucky Egg

Round 1 Begin!

Beginning the battle, Queen Gohma closes her eyes and concentrates, a translucent green dome suddenly appearing around her. Knowing that attacking the Bulbasaur head-on will now be ineffective, Norway (who looks nothing like her namesake - somewhere, Slartibartifast has a headache and he knows not why) closes her eyes and concentrates, a very faint glow manifesting around her, dissipating once more as her eyes snap open, her focus much greater than before. Gohma's shield vanishes, having seen no use.

Feeling stronger and eager to fight, Norway concentrates power into her head, which becomes a glowing helmet of sorts, before charging at Gohma, tackling her in the side; the energy transfers itself to Gohma, feeling like a strong electric shock. As the Rattata runs erratically back to her own end of the clearing, Gohma forces a seed to the opening of the bulb on her back, launching it with some force at the purple rat; it hits its mark, bursts open and begins growing, several tendrils beginning to burrow themselves into her skin, attempting to sap her energy to fuel its own growth.

Unable to reach the vines with her teeth to pull them away, Norway decides to attack their creator, in the vain hope that it might kill them off somehow; she opens her mouth, and an orb of icy-blue energy forms inside, the immediate temperature dropping sharply. What looks like blue electricity shoots from the front of the orb, striking Gohma in the bulb and causing a burning sensation due to the intense cold. Shivering, Gohma takes off at a run, leaping into the air at the last minute and colliding with the Rattata's non-vine side, knocking her off her feet and throwing her back.

As the round draws to a close, two unusual events happen at once: firstly, the vines that are still slowly growing into Norway's side suddenly glow bright green, growing noticably larger and tiny buds beginning to form, followed by a green orb of energy emitting form them, drifting over to Queen Gohma, who absorbs it; and a large explosion sounds from the inside of the strange cottage, followed almost immediately by a massive flash of light that near-blinds everyone in the vicinity; when the light fades, Jack_the_Pumpkinking's head has been replaced by a carved pumpkin (complete with candle), the stump Squornshellous Beta is sitting on has suddenly grown into a tree around her, leaving her trapped, and Norway the Rattata is glowing bright gold. The glow fades, and Norway suddenly has an inexplicable feeling of power.

Round 1 End!

1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 78%
Energy: 86%
Attacks Used: Protect ~ Leech Seed ~ Rock Smash

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Health: 93%
Energy: 82%
Status: I feel... strong! What /was/ that? Seeded, +2 defense, Focus Energy in effect.
Attacks Used: Focus Energy ~ Zen Headbutt ~ Ice Beam

Damage / Energy Calculations
Protect - 4% energy
Focus Energy - 4% energy
Zen Headbutt - 12% damage, 7% energy (accuracy roll 33, needed 90 or above to miss)
Leech Seed - 6% energy
Ice Beam - 13% damage, 7% energy (accuracy roll 40, needed 93 or above to miss)
Rock Smash - 4% damage, 4% energy (accuracy roll 55, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- Yeah, I tend to think that Pokémon would only think of major status effects as 'statuses', per se. Thus, no Substitute.
- I was not aware that Magic Room was a Gravity clone, but I suppose the similarity to Trick Room should have tipped me off.
- I treated 'try to dodge the Ice Beam' as a 7% drop in accuracy.
- None of the attacks were a critical hit or anything.

Arena Notes
- This round, Norway gained 2 defense.

Next Round
- Pumpkinhead Attacks
- Kratos Aurion Attacks
- I try to dislodge myself from this tree ref

Okay! Time to stack on more statuses. Start with Charm and then Swagger to confuse her yet negate the attack boost, and finish off with a Giga Drain to get back some health. If Norway is commanded to use all-super-effective attacks this round, use Sleep Powder until it sticks, then Giga Drain the rest of the round.

If she tries to hit you with a status condition, use Safeguard on the first action, then go with our Sleep Powder/Giga Drain backup plan. If she has a substitute, go with the Charm/etc plan even if she uses all-super-effective attacks or status conditions, because I'm pretty sure volatile status hits through Substitutes and I'm totally sure major status doesn't.

I'm sure there's an exploitable hole in this plan, but if i don't see it, it must not be there I'm in a hurry to get off the computer and go into town, so this'll have to do.

Charm/Sleep Powder/Safeguard ~ Swagger/Sleep Powder/Giga Drain ~ Giga Drain/Sleep Powder

Bah, forgot leech seed. No matter, though—the power of normal-types getting ridiculous moves for no reason at all gives us a contingency plan! We should still be faster, so go ahead and get that taunt in now to shut most of Gohma's options down. Then hit her with a flame wheel, the most out-of-left-field egg move ever, which should hopefully have the added effect of burning that nasty leech seed right off. End with zen headbutt and hope for a flinch; if the first flame wheel didn't incinerate the leech seed, though, use that again instead. If taunt fails and she manages to put you to sleep, sleep talk whenever applicable and try to dream up some physical moves to take advantage of guts >D

Taunt ~ Flame Wheel/Sleep Talk ~ Zen Headbutt/Flame Wheel/Sleep Talk

1vs1 single

1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 78%
Energy: 86%
Commands: Charm / Sleep Powder / Safeguard ~ Swagger / Sleep Powder / Giga Drain ~ Giga Drain / Sleep Powder

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Health: 93%
Energy: 82%
Status: I feel... strong! What /was/ that? Seeded, +2 defense, Focus Energy in effect.
Commands: Taunt ~ Flame Wheel / Sleep Talk ~ Zen Headbutt / Flame Wheel / Sleep Talk

Round 2 Begin!

Loving the chance to talk down to her opponent, Norway begins shouting. "Hey, Queeeeeenie! What's that bulb on your back? Hah! No right-minded Pokémon would..." She trails off, seeing that Gohma is looking at her with what looks like adoration in her eyes. She begins to speak, assuming a fake childlike voice. "Norway, you have the most beautiful fur... it's so glossy and shiny! And those teeth of yours! Do you polish them or something? I'm really sorry for attacking you before, my mean trainer said I had to. I hope you're not upset, please don't be upset..." And her voice trails away as she stares at Norway with what appears to be both fear and sadness. Despite herself, Norway finds herself weakening, reasoning that the bulb-toad-thing is kinda cute, and clearly young, maybe it wouldn't hurt to weaken her attacks somewhat...

Still, though, she has to do something. The vines growing in her side glow brightly as though aware of their impending destruction, an orb of energy coming out of a bud and floating to Gohma, who absorbs it; Norway's eyes glow bright orange, and suddenly she catches on fire. Her entire body is coated with flames within seconds, the vines reduced to ashes in seconds; the Rattata takes off, rolling end-over-end towards Gohma. She stops rolling at the last second, determined not to harm her too much; inertia keeps her going, though, and she collides with Gohma, the fire searing her skin but failing to leave a burn. Gohma opens her mouth to begin mocking her opponent, but foolishly inhales, some of the flames being pulled into her mouth; she croaks in agony and snaps her mouth shut. She's not going to be talking soon.

Norway coats her head in psychic energy as before, headbutting Gohma gently in the side; the shock of energy transfers to her as before. Gohma decides to get back at Norway for burning her mouth like that; her eyes take on a green glow and an aura of the same color manifests around Norway, tearing itself free and pouring towards Gohma, who happily absorbs it.

A small green cloud of smoke floats out of the window of the little cottage, drifting over to Norway, who inhales it before noticing it; the feeling of power with which she had been infused the previous round fades away. Squornshellous Beta finally manages to free herself from the tree as the round draws to a close. She immediately sits down on a nearby stump, hoping it will remain a stump, and begins to nurse her scraped arms.

Round 2 End!

1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 71%
Energy: 72%
Attacks Used: Charm ~ Swagger ~ Giga Drain

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Health: 87%
Energy: 63%
Attacks Used: Taunt ~ Flame Wheel ~ Zen Headbutt

Taunt - 3% energy (accuracy roll 100, needed 100 to miss - missed)
Charm - 4% energy (accuracy roll 24, needed 100 to miss)
Flame Wheel - 5% damage, 7% energy (accuracy roll 95, needed 100 to miss)
Swagger - 4% energy (accuracy roll 92, needed 90 or above to miss - missed)
Zen Headbutt - 8% damage, 9% energy (accuracy roll 33, needed 90 or above to miss)
Giga Drain - 6% damage, restored 3% health, 6% energy (accuracy roll 51, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- Still no critical hits.
- I interpreted 'all super-effective moves' to mean 'if on every action a super-effective damaging moves is ordered'.
- Unlucky Taunt there, Kratos.
- Unlucky Swagger there, Pumpkinhead.

Arena Notes
- This round, Norway lost 2 defense.
- There is a tree with a Squornshellous-Beta-shaped hole in the side growing just outside the limits of the battlefield.

Next Round
- Kratos Aurion Attacks
- Pumpkinhead Attacks
- I ref

That was... unfortunate. Ah, well. Make that 15% substitute now, as there isn't much she can do to stop you, then ice beam and icy wind for something a little less costly. If she protects against either attack, curse the first time and chill the second.

Substitute 15% ~ Ice Beam/Curse ~ Icy Wind/Curse/Chill

I'm still not liking all these super-effective attacks, Gohma. Buff up your special defense with Amnesia, then spam some health-draining with Giga Drain. And try to keep far away from Norway (the pokemon not the country LOL... yes that was way too forced); hopefully Ice Beam, at least, will be at least a little more difficult to aim at a further distance.

Amnesia ~ Giga Drain ~ Giga Drain

1vs1 single

1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 71%
Energy: 72%
Attacks Used: Amnesia ~ Giga Drain ~ Giga Drain

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Health: 87%
Energy: 63%
Commands: Substitute (15%) ~ Ice Beam / Curse ~ Icy Wind / Curse / Chill

Round 3 Begin!

Norway's eyes unexpectedly take on a bright white glow as she begins her attack, and then energy pours out, into a space in front of her, where it forms a Rattata-shape. The white glow fades away, and in its place there is a tiny Rattata, accurate to the tiniest detail, with only one exception - its eyes are glowing the same way. It begins moving, taking on the typical Rattata hyperactivity. Gohma, meanwhile, closes her eyes and begins meditating, sacrificing one of her attacks in order to raise her endurance slightly; a momentary gold sheen indicated the attack was successful.

Norway leaps into action once more, having been watching Gohma's meditations with some interest; she opens her mouth and forms the same ball of icy-cold energy, which fires off the streak of blue electricity as before. While the distance slightly hampers aim, the attack hits its mark and leeches all of the warmth from the surrounding area of her body. Gohma prepares to retaliate; she attempts to use Giga Drain as before, but she can't quite seem to remember how to do it. Grunting in frustration, she tries again, and again; only to be met with the same useless result.

Norway giggles at Gohma's uselessness, and then prepares her next move; she exhales, and suddenly her breath is some kind of blizzard. The snow and wind continue as Norway continues to exhale, far longer than her tiny lungs should allow; only once Gohma is very decidedly cold - and the arena has a two-inch-thick layer of snow covering it - does she stop. Gohma wades through this snow, still trying to use Giga Drain; it suddenly crosses her mind that it might be something to do with the Amnesia, and she groans in exasperation. Her opponent watches her - and her slow progress through the snow - in amusment.

Suddenly, a small, glowing, purple (wait, what?) ember floats out through the window of the cottage; it lands on a non-snowy area of the ground, where the grass is dry and flammable, and takes hold, a small fire starting. The fire spreads rapidly, quickly engulfing the battlefield in purple flames; oddly, it does not progress further, though this escapes everyone caught in the blaze, Gohma especially. Suddenly, though, both Pokémon realise that the fire isn't hot - it's merely pleasantly warm, and furthermore it's melting the snow. Taking her lesson from before, Gohma has kept her mouth shut the whole time, to avoid hurting herself more; Norway hasn't had such a painful lesson, and when she inhales through her mouth she inhales a portion of the flame. Gohma nothes, though, that Norway is not in pain; if anything, she seems happy. She is also moving faster than she was. Gohma curses this as the flames die away, leaving the battlefield unscathed, albeit snowless.

Round 3 End!

1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 57%
Energy: 68%
Status: What? I breef in fire and get a burnt mouf, she breefs in fire and she's superfast? Tongue burned, cannot talk well; Giga Drain forgotten; special defense +2.
Attacks Used: Amnesia ~ Giga Drain ~ Giga Drain

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Health: 72%
Energy: 44%
Status: Ahahaha! Luck of the draw, Gohma, luck of the draw! Attack -2, speed +1, Focus Energy in effect.
Attacks Used: Substitute (15%) ~ Ice Beam ~ Icy Wind
Ani019MS.png
Substitute
Health:
15%

Substitute - 15% health (Norway), 7% energy
Amnesia - 4% energy
Ice Beam - 10% damage, 7% energy (accuracy roll 57, needed 93 or above to miss)
Icy Wind - 4% damage, 5% energy (accuracy roll 63, needed 95 or above to miss)

Notes
- In an instance of absolutely horrific luck, Amnesia managed to remove Gohma's ability to use Giga Drain.
- I treated the distance as reducing the accuracy by 7%, same as when she was told to try and dodge. Icy Wind is a widespread attack, so it didn't have its accuracy lowered.

Arena Notes
- This round, both Pokémon gained 1 speed.
- There is a tree with a Squornshellous-Beta-shaped hole in the side growing just outside the limits of the battlefield.

Next Round
- Pumpkinhead Attacks
- Kratos Aurion Attacks
- I ref

Okay, Gohma, that was some pretty terrible luck, but we still have a shot. What I want you to do now is use Double-Edge and Razor Leaf to take out her Substitute. That ought to break it, so on your last action, hit the real Norway with Magical Leaf.

Now, Norway's hurting on the energy front, so we don't want her Chilling. If she's commanded to Chill, I want you to Growl as loud as you can to break her concentration. You don't need your tongue for this, so you should be able to do it - just growl, you don't need to say anything. If you take an action to Growl, just shift your other commands forward.

Double-Edge / Growl ~ Double-Edge / Razor Leaf / Growl ~ Magical Leaf / Growl

why does bulbasaur not learn roar it's because it's unevolved that's why

snrrrk

Okay. Theoretically, this should be simple. We are going to try taunt once again (rrgh). "Ha ha you forgot an important move" should provide plenty of useful insult fodder. Then just chill. Not sure if she's going to fall back on her offensive commands once she realizes she can't growl or she'll just flail around; hopefully the latter, but either way by the end you should come out on top in both health and energy, so it's cool. We can work with that. If taunt fails (RRRGH), do nothing on the second action and screech on the third.

Taunt ~ Chill/Nothing ~ Chill/Screech

1vs1 single

1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 57%
Energy: 68%
Status: What? I breef in fire and get a burnt mouf, she breefs in fire and she's superfast? Tongue burned, cannot talk well; Giga Drain forgotten; special defense +2.
Commands: Double-Edge / Growl ~ Double-Edge / Razor Leaf / Growl ~ Magical Leaf / Growl

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Health: 72%
Energy: 44%
Status: Ahahaha! Luck of the draw, Gohma, luck of the draw! Attack -2, speed +1, Focus Energy in effect.
Commands: Taunt ~ Chill / Nothing ~ Chill / Screech
Ani019MS.png
Substitute
Health:
15%

Round 4 Begin!

Remembering her last attempt at Taunt, Norway is determined to make this time go better. She begins calling out: "Hah! Gohma! What was that? You forgot your best move! It's Pokémon like -" but gets no further because Gohma, glowing brilliant white, cannons into her substitute's side, with so much force that she is even thrown back herself, in accordance with Newton's third law of physics; Norway feels an echo of the clone's pain through the mental link they share. Norway notes that now two Taunts have failed to work in the least.

Reviewing her commands for this particular eventuality, Norway remembers that she's supposed to do nothing. Well, she's not one to argue with not having to do anything. Gohma, meanwhile, assumes a fighting stance; many small leaves come flying out of some hidden place at the base of her bulb, spinning and curling through the air towards Norway's substitute, which they peirce and stick somewhere in the middle. With a blinding flash, the clone vanishes, and the leaves trapped inside drop to the ground.

Growling in anger, Norway prepares for her next move; flattening her ears to her head, she opens her mouth wide and lets out a loud, harsh screech, Gohma wincing in shock. Warily, she performs an almost-repeat of the previous action, though the mysterious leaves are narrower and pointier, and also outlined in a pink glow. The leaves head straight towards Norway like tiny guided missiles, slicing into her skin and leaving deep cuts.

Now sort of expecting something wierd to happen, both Pokémon stare at the tiny cottage; with a belching noise, a thick purple liquid shoots out of the chimmeny, landing all over everything, including Pokémon, trainers, trees and referees; seconds later, the majority of the liquid fades away, except the stuff coating the Pokémon, which converts to some kind of thin, tough plastic coating, and the stuff coating the trainers and referees, which remains sticky and disgusting.

Round 4 End!

1imko5.jpg

Bulbasaur
Queen Gohma (Female)
Health: 55%
Energy: 50%
Status: That was odd. How can I breef throo thish shtuff? Tongue burned, cannot talk well; Giga Drain forgotten; special defense +3, defense -2.
Attacks Used: Double-Edge ~ Razor Leaf ~ Magical Leaf

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

Rattata-f
Norway (Female)
Health: 66%
Energy: 39%
Status: Are you okay, master? Attack -2, speed +1, special defense +1, Focus Energy in effect.
Attacks Used: Taunt ~ Nothing ~ Screech

Taunt - 3% energy (accuracy roll 100, needed 100 to miss - missed)
Double-Edge - 11% damage, 2% recoil damage, 8% energy (accuracy roll 85, needed 100 to miss)
Razor Leaf - 5% damage, 5% energy (accuracy roll 11, needed 95 or above to miss)
Screech - 2% energy (accuracy roll 51, needed 85 or above to miss)
Magical Leaf - 6% damage, 5% energy

Notes
- Taunt... missed again. Who's been killing leprechauns, come on, own up.

Arena Notes
- This round, both Pokémon gained 1 special defense.
- The trainers and referee are covered in some kind of thick, viscous purple liquid.

Next Round
- Kratos Aurion Attacks
- Pumpkinhead Attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
Two things—I should be attacking first, and I have a question: have you been checking Norway's energy use as though she were a first-stage-of-three pokémon, or first-stage-of-two? I got that screech should only have cost 1 energy, for example, and I think some of the other moves she's used have been a bit pricier than I would normally have given. If that was intentional then I don't really mind, but I'm curious.

You should, and I tweak energy and damage if they seem too much or too little. Also, for your energy calculator, selecting a negative special/attack makes it take less energy, and a positive one makes it take more. Seems like it should be the other way around.

No, having an attack decrease lower energy cost and vice versa is intentional--for example, if you were scared of your opponent after it growled at you, you would supposedly tone down the damage you do due to timidity, correct? Putting less effort into the damage would mean expending less energy for the attack. Similarly, after a swords dance you're putting more force behind the attack and so expending more energy. (And anyway, more damage for less energy is unfair, don't you think?)

Man, this taunt thing is not going my way at all. Forget it. Double-edge three times. If she protects/can't be hit by double-edge or puts you to sleep, chill. If she tries to lower your attack again, screech on the action afterward and then move your orders over.

Double-Edge/Chill ~ Double-Edge/Screech/Chill ~ Double-Edge/Screech/Chill

Ah. I knew I had made some oversight somewhere. Um. I'll remember that for the future.

I don't know quite why I got that impression, really. Oops.

Okay, Gohma, this round is going to be painful, but we've got to take those Double-Edges so she doesn't Chill. Start off with Synthesis, then give me a Curse and finish off by Chilling. If you don't feel up to speaking enough to perform Curse, use Defense Curl instead.

Synthesis ~ Curse/Defense Curl ~ Chill

Back
Top Bottom