• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Registration Office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pokémon Registration Office

The moves need drawbacks.

Alternatively, I suggest that you hold off on ASB for a while, because we're moving over to the new system pretty soon.

The moves need drawbacks.

Alternatively, I suggest that you hold off on ASB for a while, because we're moving over to the new system pretty soon.
I'm too impatient. When I get screwed, it'll be my fault. Drawbacks? I can do that.

[Icicle] Snover (F)
Ability:Snow Warning
Item:None
EXP:0
Body Mod: Stronger Roots
Description: Icicle's roots are slightly stronger, due to living in harsher conditions than most Snover: in the moist rainforest after being abandoned there by her previous owner. Not being adapted to this unusual habitat, Icicle's roots were...different. Mutated. However, sucking with more force will use up more energy, while helping Health.
Effects:Any move involving roots (i.e. Ingrain) will be 1% stronger, at a cost to 4% energy loss every 2 rounds.

Hopefully that story was good enough. Next!

[Waterskit] Surskit (M)
Ability: Swift Swim
Move Mod: Crawl
Description:When Waterskit was first born, he constantly crawled all over his old owner to play. However, Waterskit soon realized his owner wasn't paying attention for a few moments, meaning Waterskit could mess up the house and his owner wouldn't notice! When Waterskit uses Crawl, he climbs all over the opponent, tickling them and rendering them unable to use a move they have to move for(i.e. they can't use Quick Attack, but they can use Flamethrower), due to being immobilized by laughing. However, it takes much more energy to crawl on the opposer's body, and there is a 15% chance that the opponent may fling Waterskit clear off his body, dealing 7% damage to Waterskit.
Type:Normal
Stat:Physical
Power:0%
Energy:8%
Accuracy:90%
Target:Opponent
Duration:One action
Effects:Renders opponent unable to move.
Similar to being paralyzed.
Usage Gap: 3 rounds

[Bolteon] Mareep (F)
Ability:Static
Body Mod: Bright Tail
Description:Bolteon's tail emits a blinding amount of light. Although most Mareep's tails are small lightbulbs, Bolteon's tail had to give off a blinding amount of light to get attention out of several of her owner's Pokemon, being the smallest. However, it also hurts Bolteon's accuracy as well, but by a smaller amount.
Effects:Opponent's accuracy is brought down by 5% due to light, at a cost of 2% to Bolteon

Does that work? Next!

[Aerial] Swablu (F)
Ability: Natural Cure
Move Mod: Swab
Description: When Aerial was owned by a different owner, she had a bad experience. Although most Swablu are obsessed with cleanliness, Aerial is much worse. After battling a Mudkip, she was hit by Mud-Slap. As she cleaned it off, she was knocked out with a strong attack. The experience was so upsetting for Aerial, the next time she was poisoned, she simply got revenge by rubbing it on the opponent's Pokemon. However, there is a 10%chance of her status problems being worsened, as the opponent's body might press the effect further into her(i.e. poison may be pushed down her stomach or such) and it takes much more energy to Swab her status into her opponent than a normal move.
Stat:Status
Energy:7%
Accuracy:100%
Duration:3 rounds
Effects:Varying status problems, depending on Aerial's problems
Usage Gap: 5 rounds, I guess

Is this good? There are drawbacks!

I'm too impatient. When I get screwed, it'll be my fault. Drawbacks? I can do that.

[Icicle] Snover (F)
Ability:Snow Warning
Body Mod: Stronger Roots
Description: Icicle's roots are slightly stronger, due to living in harsher conditions than most Snover: in the moist rainforest after being abandoned there by her previous owner. Not being adapted to this unusual habitat, Icicle's roots were...different. Mutated. However, sucking with more force will use up more energy, while helping Health.
Effects:Any move involving roots (i.e. Ingrain) will be 1% stronger, at a cost to 4% energy loss every 2 rounds.

Hopefully that story was good enough. Next!

[Waterskit] Surskit (M)
Ability: Swift Swim
Move Mod: Crawl
Description:When Waterskit was first born, he constantly crawled all over his old owner to play. However, Waterskit soon realized his owner wasn't paying attention for a few moments, meaning Waterskit could mess up the house and his owner wouldn't notice! When Waterskit uses Crawl, he climbs all over the opponent, tickling them and rendering them unable to use a move they have to move for(i.e. they can't use Quick Attack, but they can use Flamethrower), due to being immobilized by laughing. However, it takes much more energy to crawl on the opposer's body, and there is a 15% chance that the opponent may fling Waterskit clear off his body, dealing 7% damage to Waterskit.
Stat:Physical
Energy:8%
Accuracy:90%
Duration:One action
Effects:Renders opponent unable to move.
Similar to being paralyzed.
Usage Gap: 3 rounds

[Bolteon] Mareep (F)
Ability:Static
Body Mod: Bright Tail
Description:Bolteon's tail emits a blinding amount of light. Although most Mareep's tails are small lightbulbs, Bolteon's tail had to give off a blinding amount of light to get attention out of several of her owner's Pokemon, being the smallest. However, it also hurts Bolteon's accuracy as well, but by a smaller amount.
Effects:Opponent's accuracy is brought down by 5% due to light, at a cost of 2% to Bolteon

Does that work? Next!

[Aerial] Swablu (F)
Ability: Natural Cure
Move Mod: Swab
Description: When Aerial was owned by a different owner, she had a bad experience. Although most Swablu are obsessed with cleanliness, Aerial is much worse. After battling a Mudkip, she was hit by Mud-Slap. As she cleaned it off, she was knocked out with a strong attack. The experience was so upsetting for Aerial, the next time she was poisoned, she simply got revenge by rubbing it on the opponent's Pokemon. However, there is a 10%chance of her status problems being worsened, as the opponent's body might press the effect further into her(i.e. poison may be pushed down her stomach or such) and it takes much more energy to Swab her status into her opponent than a normal move.
Stat:Status
Energy:7%
Accuracy:100%
Duration:3 rounds
Effects:Varying status problems, depending on Aerial's problems
Usage Gap: 5 rounds, I guess

Is this good? There are drawbacks!

You really are being too hasty; you might say you're "impatient", but said impatience is only going to create more work for both you and the approval staff. Again, considering that the entire ASB game system will be changing very shortly, it is not a good idea for anyone to be looking for approval for this sort of thing at the moment, new or not.

For starters, in your rush to get something approved just because you want it approved, you are making more and more mistakes and confusing statements. You need to make sure that you are being clear and logical when coming up with both effects and drawbacks, that both the effects and drawbacks follow logically from the descriptions given, and that you take the time to explain exactly what it is you mean. For example:

-Bolteon reduces the foe's accuracy by 5% at the cost of 2% what? Health? Energy? His own accuracy? Why? This one is actually probably the most approvable of everything you've got, but it still needs more careful explanation.

-Why would rubbing poison that is presumably on the outside of Aerial's body onto the opponent "push the poison into her stomach"? Without further clarification, that appears to make no anatomical sense. You also need to be more specific about the effects here: for example, there are different "severities" of status conditions that determine how badly they affect an afflicted pokémon (e.g., a severely poisoned pokémon takes more damage per round than a mildly poisoned one). Does the severity of Aerial's condition affect the severity of the one she gives the opponent (logically, I'd think the severity would be at least one stage lower)? Does rubbing some of the poison onto the opponent mean that some of it comes off of Aerial? Perhaps the biggest problem of all, how on earth would you pass something like a burn or paralysis onto the opponent simply by rubbing it? This move doesn't seem to be applicable to anything but poison, and that's if it's poison that ends up on her skin/feathers/etc. in the first place instead of, say, being inhaled like poisonpowder.

-What are "moves with roots"? In such a situation you should try to list every single move you want to be affected by a modification, especially since in ASB different attacks can be interpreted in different ways. And since not all "moves with roots" will necessarily be draining moves, the extra energy cost for "draining" may not necessarily apply. Additionally, when does that cost kick in? Literally every two rounds, whether Icicle is using a move like ingrain or not? Why would "draining" cost her extra energy even when she isn't actively doing that? And what does "1% stronger" actually mean? She gets 1% extra health per round? Do you mean per action? Are you talking about some other effect?

And that's just some of it. Slow down, okay? ASB will still be here and you will still be able to get things approved if you wait a few days; there is absolutely no reason to rush. It will do you and your intended modifications some good if you take that time to slow down, get a better look at approved attributes and really make these solid, believable and balanced. For that matter, actually participating in and observing a few more battles will also help, because as it stands I think some of this vagueness comes from not understanding how certain aspects of ASB actually work.

Bolteon's energy loss of 2%. Due to the light, but less than the opponent's loss. Because Mareep will be used by much more than the opponent. I guess I'll wait, but I had to answer that.

Also, first-time doing an attribute...~

As shown here, by the power of Awesome, I dub thee... Sheldon.

[Sheldon] Clamperl [F]
Ability: Shell Armor
Signature attribute- Neuron overload

Sheldon was created in a lab experiment in order to see if one could make a Huntail/Gorebyss hybrid. Although they failed, they ended up with some more brain capacity...

Sheldon is very partial to her name, defending it to anyone who insults it. She tries to get her inner particle physicist recognized, but to no avail.

However, if anyone dares to make a clampearl pun (or uses the move taunt or similar ), she'll go into a mode of hyper-rage. It sends out a weak electric current, leaving the opponent paralyzed but it also takes up some of her energy, as well as 2% health due to her being... well, a water-type.

Also, first-time doing an attribute...~

As shown here, by the power of Awesome, I dub thee... Sheldon.

[Sheldon] Clamperl [F]
Ability: Shell Armor
Signature attribute- Neuron overload

Sheldon was created in a lab experiment in order to see if one could make a Huntail/Gorebyss hybrid. Although they failed, they ended up with some more brain capacity...

Sheldon is very partial to her name, defending it to anyone who insults it. She tries to get her inner particle physicist recognized, but to no avail.

However, if anyone dares to make a clampearl pun (or uses the move taunt or similar ), she'll go into a mode of hyper-rage. It sends out a weak electric current, leaving the opponent paralyzed but it also takes up some of her energy, as well as 2% health due to her being... well, a water-type.

Clamperl itself approved; attribute needs work, starting with a more clearly delineated description section and effects section.

Why does she get additional brainpower? What does that have to do with an experimental attempt to make a hybrid? Does someone "insulting her name" have anything to do with anything? Why does she get mad when someone makes a pun, and what does it have to do with the brainpower thing/the experiment? Where did she suddenly get the ability to generate electricity? How much energy? How far does this weak current go? Would it realistically affect an opponent that's all the way across the battlefield? etc..

This doesn't seem to have been very well thought-out at all; the effects (what exactly are the effects? again, this is why you should format this more carefully) are all over the place, and most of the description is apparently irrelevant without further explanation.

As with Mewtini, I would suggest that you wait before trying to get any modifications approved, if only for the sake of seeing what happens with the new ASB system.

Mewtini,... gee slow down. Its really preferable to do ONE sig move/attribute at a time as you usually need do edit/tweak them a lot, especially since you're new. It will be hard for you and for the approver to follow all these at the same time.

Moral: One at a time.

[Luftballon 1] Drifloon M (Aftermath)
[Luftballon 2] Drifloon F (Aftermath)

And $26.

Last edited:

[Stamford] Bronzor X

Signature Move: Gravitational Tear

It is fabled that shedinja contain the endless void itself in their backs; although at least somewhat disproven by science, there's definitely something in there. The clefairy family has a long-standing obsession with the moon. And bronzor have appeared in the art of dozens of unrelated cultures. How is this all connected? Aliens, obviously.

Or at least that was the logic of a group of star-addled human cultists who tried to breed the perfect poképortal, in order to view the "heart of the universe". Although the group doubtlessly failed, they left in their wake a series of unown, bronzor, shedinja, and clefable (among others) that were never really normal after the fact. Many of the young creatures, after being repurposed by the League, exhibited strange abilities such as antigravity or, in some cases, instinctive knowledge of astronomical forces. Stamford, for example, can create black holes with its mind.

After a number of catastrophic accidents that were thankfully contained by League Alakazam, Stamford rapidly learned how to control itself (being a psychic, after all) and was issued to a new owner, under intense reconnaissance. However, despite the League's worst fears, nothing went wrong, even though they tentatively allowed the ability's use in sanctioned battles. The attack Wargle developed is really nowhere near as dangerous as the early meltdowns were; Stamford simply focuses very very hard, shrinking a rock or similar object into a minuscule point. In a split second, the point invisibly and silently expands into a relatively tiny black hole. Although the hole is contained by its powerful psychic abilities, Stamford allows the invisible hole in space to suck away the metaphysical elemental energies of his opponent. The process is intensely painful, the energy's rapid departure causing skin abrasions, but it ends quickly.

Psychic / Physical / 7% / 100% / Single Opponent / 10% /

Effects: Stamford focuses intensely on a single point in space, psychically compacting an object into a shielded, nearly-invisible black hole that absorbs the surrounding light. The attack rips the main elemental energy from the target, draining 7% energy from the opponent into the void. Furthermore, as the energy is rent from the body it causes physical damage as well.

Usage Gap: Four Rounds

[Luftballon 1] Drifloon M (Aftermath)
[Luftballon 2] Drifloon F (Aftermath)

And $26.

Approved.

[Stamford] Bronzor X

Signature Move: Gravitational Tear

It is fabled that shedinja contain the endless void itself in their backs; although at least somewhat disproven by science, there's definitely something in there. The clefairy family has a long-standing obsession with the moon. And bronzor have appeared in the art of dozens of unrelated cultures. How is this all connected? Aliens, obviously.

Or at least that was the logic of a group of star-addled human cultists who tried to breed the perfect poképortal, in order to view the "heart of the universe". Although the group doubtlessly failed, they left in their wake a series of unown, bronzor, shedinja, and clefable (among others) that were never really normal after the fact. Many of the young creatures, after being repurposed by the League, exhibited strange abilities such as antigravity or, in some cases, instinctive knowledge of astronomical forces. Stamford, for example, can create black holes with its mind.

After a number of catastrophic accidents that were thankfully contained by League Alakazam, Stamford rapidly learned how to control itself (being a psychic, after all) and was issued to a new owner, under intense reconnaissance. However, despite the League's worst fears, nothing went wrong, even though they tentatively allowed the ability's use in sanctioned battles. The attack Wargle developed is really nowhere near as dangerous as the early meltdowns were; Stamford simply focuses very very hard, shrinking a rock or similar object into a minuscule point. In a split second, the point invisibly and silently expands into a relatively tiny black hole. Although the hole is contained by its powerful psychic abilities, Stamford allows the invisible hole in space to suck away the metaphysical elemental energies of his opponent. The process is intensely painful, the energy's rapid departure causing skin abrasions, but it ends quickly.

Psychic / Physical / 7% / 100% / Single Opponent / 10% /

Effects: Stamford focuses intensely on a single point in space, psychically compacting an object into a shielded, nearly-invisible black hole that absorbs the surrounding light. The attack rips the main elemental energy from the target, draining 7% energy from the opponent into the void. Furthermore, as the energy is rent from the body it causes physical damage as well.

Usage Gap: Four Rounds

Nothing looks outrageously wrong with this I suppose, so I'll just say approved.

Evolving!

[Rachel] staryu (x) <Natural Cure>

into

[Rachel] starmie (x) <Natural Cure>

Water Stone and battle.

Also updating her sig move.

Signature Move: Spotlight
"Metaphors are important. My gold stars are a metaphor for me being a star."

Rachel is a go-getter. Nothing can get in its' way. A crowd of people shouting at you doesn't sound much different from a crowd of people shouting for you; it all depends on how you look at it. And Rachel looks at the world through rose-tinted glasses.

Sometimes it gets a little hard for Rachel to see other pokemon for who they really are. Sometimes all it sees is a cheering crowd. And sometimes that gets to Rachel.

Normal / Other / Damage: Progressively adds +2 to total damage for 2-5 actions (adds +2 on each action) / Target: Self / Energy: 9% / Duration: 2-5 actions
Effects: this makes Rachel get stuck in an encore. It repeats its last-used move for 2-5 actions. However, unlike a normal encore, during each progressive attack, +2 damage is added to the attacks overall power.
For each successful hit she makes during the effects of Spotlight, the boost to her confidence raises her special attack and special defense +1. This comes into effect after Spotlight ends.
During this performance, the effects of negative moves such as taunt, torment, swagger, scary face, leer, etc. (anything that's effect would depend on Rachel loosing confidence) would fail.
Usage Gap: Every 5 rounds

:| why am I ignored

Evolving!

[Rachel] staryu (x) <Natural Cure>

into

Water Stone and battle.

Also updating her sig move.

Rachel is a go-getter. Nothing can get in its' way. A crowd of people shouting at you doesn't sound much different from a crowd of people shouting for you; it all depends on how you look at it. And Rachel looks at the world through rose-tinted glasses.

Sometimes it gets a little hard for Rachel to see other pokemon for who they really are. Sometimes all it sees is a cheering crowd. And sometimes that gets to Rachel.

Normal / Other / Damage: Progressively adds +2 to total damage for 2-5 actions (adds +2 on each action) / Target: Self / Energy: 9% / Duration: 2-5 actions
Effects: this makes Rachel get stuck in an encore. It repeats its last-used move for 2-5 actions. However, unlike a normal encore, during each progressive attack, +2 damage is added to the attacks overall power.
For each successful hit she makes during the effects of Spotlight, the boost to her confidence raises her special attack and special defense +1. This comes into effect after Spotlight ends.
During this performance, the effects of negative moves such as taunt, torment, swagger, scary face, leer, etc. (anything that's effect would depend on Rachel loosing confidence) would fail.
Usage Gap: Every 5 rounds

Evolution approved, but I don't really see much of a drawback to the move. Plus a cumulative extra 2% damage to each turn would add up ridiculously fast.

Blastoise, that attribute is sick. Congrats! I can't approve though...but it seems good!

The drawback is that it's stuck using the same attack repeatedly for a set amount of actions (not turns >|). I could increase the usage gap, but personally that seems like a pretty significant drawback, considering the effectiveness of a well-placed encore.

damn you all

*cracks knuckles* Here goes:
nik.gif

[Nikola Tesla] Pichu [♂]
Static

Signature Attribute
: Metal Mouse

Nikola Tesla has always been a tinkerer, fascinated with the workings of his own natural electricity and, more specifically, how it affects metal. His constant tinkering and mechanical endeavors have not only gifted him with great knowledge about his own abilities, but embedded tiny iron filings in his skin and fur (made permanent by his constant electric current).

Effects: Due to the smattering of iron covering his entire (admittedly small) body, Nik's intensified Static ability causes paralysis 50% of the time, and (due to his studies of metal and its conductive properties) this is increased to a 75% chance on Steel-types or pokémon with metallic modifications. On the other hand, the metal has caused Nik to lose the control of his electricity that League-issued pichu work so hard to gain. This causes him 2% damage to him every time that his ability is activated, and 1% every time he uses an electric attack. Furthermore, the ability Magnet Pull is able to drag him about.

Signature Move
: Tesla Cannon

Nikola Tesla is the 'mad scientist' of the team, and like most mad scientists, he doesn't care about scientific advancement so much as he does about making things explode. And he can do this rather well, it turns out! In the interest of things like 'world peace' and 'destruction', Nik can channel all of his considerable electrical power into a single, highly destructive burst. After a few accidental power outages after he got that metal fused to his skin, Nik discovered two things: (1) A way to use electricity without destroying everything around him and expending it all at once and (2) the aforementioned highly destructive end-all burst. Unfortunately, the unevolved pichu simply cannot handle the attack's kick and is left quite crippled by the move himself.

Type: Electric / Stat: Special / Base Damage: 15% / Accuracy: 100% / Target: Single Target / Energy: 10% / Duration: 2-actions charging, 1-action attacking

Effects: When the attack is ordered, Nik begins to crackle and glow with blue-white static that arcs from iron filing to iron filing, and Nik moves jerkily and verrrrry carefully. The next action can contain a separate attack, but for obvious reasons Nik is unable to perform electric type moves. On the third and final action, a gigantic, very loud bolt of lighting envelops Nik before immediately arcing from him to his opponent, causing a blinding explosion that usually sends him and his opponent sprawling to the ground. The attack has a 30% chance to either moderately burn or paralyze the opponent, but never both at once.

After the attack, Nik is unable to attack electrically, or use his Static ability, for one round, and for another round such attacks are only half-power. He is also moderately paralyzed and is dealt 1% typeless damage per action for two rounds. The shock to their systems also removes all special attack boosts and losses to either pokémon.

Usage Gap: Once per battle.

I have a feeling this may be overpowered for him, but maybe the drawbacks are enough? *hopehopehope*

I guess these both look okay too. Approved.

@Derpy Hooves: true, but being stuck using an attack that keeps getting stronger quite quickly doesn't seem too bad to me. Maybe the attacks could also cost a bit more energy each time they're repeated, since Rachel's putting more into them?

Er, moves generally cost more energy depending on their strength. That's just... how they're reffed. The 9% energy is just the cost of Spotlight itself; if the move she's using gets continuously stronger it will naturally cost more energy. I increased the usage gap, just uh, to change something I guess.

Usage Gap: Every 6 rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom