• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

SomeGuy vs. Mad MOAI

zeKieranator

Pronoun
she
Eh, why not.

Format: 2v2 single
Battle Style: Set
DQ: standard week
Dam. Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: direct healing, OHKO's
Arena: The Plateau

A relatively tall rise, overlooking a medium-sized pit. Moves that require a lot of movement have a 50% chance to knock the user off. Moves that propel the target do as well. Being knocked off instantly knocks out the Pokemon.

If it sounds a little vague, I do apologize.

SomeGuy's Active Squad

Squirtle Turtlez (♀)
Ability: Torrent

Cacnea Spikyman (♂)
Ability: Sand Veil

Vulpix Firefox (♀)
Ability: Flash Fire

Gastly Hellcloud (♂)
Ability: Levitate

Rattata Joey (♀)
Ability: Guts

Nidoranm Purplemon (♂)
Ability: Poison Point

Mad MOAI's Active Squad

Weavile Lust (♀)
Ability: Pressure

Plusle Maria Ross (♀)
Ability: Plus

Exeggcute Nyasha (♀)
Ability: Chlorophyll
Item: Leaf Stone

Nosepass Luminas (♂)
Ability: Magnet Pull

Onix Drill Grip (♀)
Ability: Rock Head

Volbeat Solas (♂)
Ability: Swarm

Attack Order:

- Mad MOAI sends out
- SomeGuy sends out and issues commands
- Mad MOAI issues commands
- I (hopefully) ref

Hmm. I don't have a whole bunch of choices here, but I'll send out Nyasha because she doesn't have any experience yet. (SomeGuy, you have good type coverage on your team; I can't think of a Pokémon you don't have an advantage against.)

A'ight, I send out Firefox.

IT'S BATTLE TIME!

Start off with Confuse Ray, then Howl to raise attack, and finish off with a Flamethrower.

Confuse Ray~Howl~Flamethrower

(oh, and I wound up having my Cacnea face off against a Shinx in my other battle :P)

Last edited:
All right. First use Light Screen, for protection. Then use Sleep Powder, and if you've made it that far use Dream Eater, or AncientPower if Sleep Powder misses or if you didn't get to use it

Light Screen ~ Sleep powder ~ Dream Eater/AncientPower

Eh, why not.

A relatively tall rise, overlooking a medium-sized pit. Moves that require a lot of movement have a 50% chance to knock the user off. Moves that propel the target do as well. Being knocked off instantly knocks out the Pokemon.

Team SomeGuy
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

vulpixFirefox (♀)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Confuse Ray ~ Howl ~ Flamethrower

Team Mad MOAI
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

exeggcuteNyasha (♀)
Energy: 100%
Item: leaf-stone
Commands: Light Screen ~ Sleep Powder ~ Dream Eater/AncientPower

Round One Begin!

At the referee's whistle, both Pokémon rushed to act out their trainer's commands. Firefox moved first, opening her mouth and firing out a beam of brightly sparkling and glittering lights. Nyasha, watching the spectral light show bounce off of herself and her surroundings, became thoroughly confused. However, despite the confusion, she still managed to focus enough energy to summon up a white-blue psychic shield in front of her.

Firefox was annoyed by the Light Screen's presence, but still had to carry out her orders. So, she crouched down, and then suddenly looked up and let out a loud howl. When she had finished, she got up and stood in position, somewhat more confident than before. This was reinforced when Nyasha, tumbling forwards in an attempt to use Sleep Powder, crashed into a medium-sized rock in her confusion, shattering the wall of light behind her.

Nyasha rolled back to her starting position, only to be hit by a burst of red-hot flames shot out from Firefox's direction. Nyasha was hit straight on, and tumbled slightly backwards, though not nearly enough to knock her off the plateau. When the attack was finished, Nyasha decided to fight back. So, concentrating, she managed to raise up several stones from underneath the arena, glowing with spectral fire... and then, breaking her concentration, she dropped the stones, sending them back to the earth and taking damage as they fell and crashed into her.

Round One End!

Team SomeGuy
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

vulpixFirefox (♀)
Energy: 91%
Commands: Confuse Ray ~ Howl ~ Flamethrower

Team Mad MOAI
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

exeggcuteNyasha (♀)
Health: 76%
Commands: Light Screen ~ Sleep Powder (confused) ~ AncientPower (confused)

Ref Notes:
  • Nyasha was confused for actions 2 and 3. After she hit herself with AncientPower on the 3rd action, she broke her confusion.
  • Mad MOAI commands first next round.

Last edited:
All right. First, use Skill Swap, so you get Flash Fire and can't get hit by Fire attacks. I guess that would be your best defense here... since Firefox getting Chlorophyll won't matter, as she's already faster than you. Then, of course, Trick Room would come in handy, not only because she's already faster but trying to use Sunny Day would make her even slower... and then use Psychic. Or something like that.

Skill Swap ~ Trick Room ~ Psychic

Well, that worked out surprisingly well.

Well, Skill Swap basically kills most of your moveset, but we can still work something out. Start off with Curse, then hit it with Body Slam and finish off with Payback.

Curse~Body Slam~Payback

Eh, why not.

Team SomeGuy
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

vulpixFirefox (♀)
Commands: Curse ~ Body Slam ~ Payback

Team Mad MOAI
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

exeggcuteNyasha (♀)
Health: 76%
Commands: Skill Swap ~ Trick Room ~ Psychic

Round Two Begin!

After the first round, Nyasha had been injured quite a bit, so it was no surprise that Firefox was first on the draw. Standing in place, she started muttering seemingly random words, altering her body to make her physically stronger, yet slower. Meanwhile, Nyasha was preparing her attack, and when Firefox had finished, she created an almost invisible link between them, which then glowed red, then green, then disappeared altogether.

Firefox, unharmed by the attack, was somewhat confused as to what was going on, but decided to continue her commands. She crouched down on her paws, then rushed forwards and pounced onto Nyasha, pinning her to the ground and narrowly missing the cliff edge, looming a few feet away. Nyasha, in response, sent out a powerful burst of psychic energy, severely distorting time all around the plateau. Firefox went back to her trainer, somewhat more slowly than before.

However, as soon as Firefox had returned to her starting area, she was captured in a pink glow, then flung around the arena, crashing into various rocks and the edge of the plateau multiple times, before being set down back where she was before, somewhat bruised. Angry and bitter, she leaped out at her opponent, striking her hard with a front paw laced with dark light.

Round Two End!

Team SomeGuy
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

vulpixFirefox (♀)
Health: 89%
Energy: 75%
+1 Attack, +1 Defense, -1 Speed
Commands: Curse (unable) ~ Body Slam ~ Payback

Team Mad MOAI
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

exeggcuteNyasha (♀)
Health: 53%
Energy: 84%
Commands: Skill Swap ~ Trick Room ~ Psychic

Ref Notes:
  • Trick Room is active on the arena, and will remain so for another five actions.
  • Vulpix cannot learn Curse.
  • Fortunately, neither Pokémon fell off the cliff when Body Slam was used.
  • SomeGuy commands first next round.

Last edited:
What the-? Vulpix can learn Curse (by TM).

I'm not feeling very creative. Hit Nyasha with a Dark Pulse three times, unless you're asleep, in which case use Snore.

Dark Pulse/Snore~Dark Pulse/Snore~Dark Pulse/Snore

(if all goes as planned, the damage cap'll be reached)

Last edited:
Ah, sorry. I checked its moves by Ctrl-F on the Serebii Pokédex, and apparently TM moves don't show up by name for 1st/2nd gen. I'll rewrite the reffing as soon as possible.

EDIT: Should I edit the reffing I've already made, or post a new one?

Last edited:
Just let it go. Try to make sure it doesn't happen again, though.

Unless Negrek says differently.

Last edited:
..In that case, I'll make my commands.

First off, use Sleep Powder, and then Dream Eater on HP. But if after the first attack the Vulpix is still awake, use Giga Drain for HP instead. And then use AncientPower.

Sleep Powder ~ Dream Eater / Giga Drain ~ AncientPower

Eh, why not.

Team SomeGuy
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

vulpixFirefox (♀)
Health: 89%
Energy: 75%
Commands: Dark Pulse ~ Dark Pulse ~ Dark Pulse

Team Mad MOAI
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

exeggcuteNyasha (♀)
Health: 53%
Energy: 84%
Commands: Sleep Powder ~ Dream Eater / Giga Drain ~ Ancientpower

Round Three Begin!

With time in the arena still distorted, Nyasha had the upper hand, at least in terms of speed. Hoping to be able to buy some time, she shot out a cloud of pale green spores, and sent them towards her opponent. When the attack had cleared, however, Nyasha was surprised and annoyed to see Firefox standing tall exactly where she was, having had no effect on her. What annoyed her even more, however, was Firefox opening her mouth and unleashing a wave of dark energy and thoughts, knocking her to the ground and invading her mind, dealing her significant psychological damage, as well as physical.

Firefox smirked to herself, watching the last effects of her attack fade from the arena. If that was how Nyasha would react after just one attack, she knew it was going to be an difficult round for her. While she was preparing another attack, she watched as Nyasha surrounded her in a green glow, stealing her energy and restoring herself with it. For a moment, she looked the slightest bit healthier - but then Firefox unleashed another burst of energy, taking away all the health she had just restored, and a lot extra.

Nyasha, mind still swimming with evil thoughts, managed to struggle back into balance even after taking such heavy damage. Having taken so much during the rest of the round, now it was time for revenge. Using her psychic power, she summoned up a cascade of rocks from the center of the arena, glowing with spectral-blue fire. Then, she launched them towards Firefox, passing through him, but still evidently hitting him hard. Firefox, in retaliation, launched a third and final pulse of darkness, once again sending Nyasha tumbling.

Round Three End!

Team SomeGuy
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

vulpixFirefox (♀)
Health: 77%
Energy: 57%
Commands: Dark Pulse ~ Dark Pulse ~ Dark Pulse

Team Mad MOAI
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

exeggcuteNyasha (♀)
Health: 25%
Energy: 70%
Commands: Sleep Powder (missed) ~ Giga Drain ~ Ancientpower

Ref Notes:
  • Sleep Powder missed on the first action.
  • Trick Room is active on the arena, and will remain so for another 2 actions.
  • SomeGuy, please don't edit your post after your opponent has commanded, and if you do, please don't edit your commands. Fortunately, Sleep Powder missed, so your changes were made irrelevant, but still... don't.
  • First to command next round is Mad MOAI.

Last edited:
...I probably shouldn't bother with any sleep moves, since they're mostly innacurate anyway. Let's do something more... direct. First Toxic, then Frustration. And if you somehow make it to the next action use AncientPower.

Toxic ~ Frustration ~ AncientPower

Protect on the first action because poison is icky. Then Faint Attack twice. If Nyasha ever faints, Swagger aimlessly.

Protect/Swagger~Faint Attack/Swagger~Faint Attack/Swagger

Eh, why not.

Team SomeGuy
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

vulpixFirefox (♀)
Health: 77%
Energy: 57%
Commands: Protect / Swagger ~ Faint Attack / Swagger ~ Faint Attack / Swagger

Team Mad MOAI
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

exeggcuteNyasha (♀)
Health: 25%
Energy: 70%
Commands: Toxic ~ Frustration ~ AncientPower

Round Four Begin!

Looking at the state Nyasha was then in, it seemed hard to believe that she would last much longer in this battle. She still had the speed advantage, though, so she prepared a blob of highly toxic substances and spat it out from each of its mouths. However, Firefox was expecting this, and raised a blue-green shield in front of her, absorbing the attack and then disappearing into oblivion.

Nyasha was extremely irritated by this, as well as her missed Sleep Powder - she couldn't even use status attacks right. Well then, if status won't work, direct damage will have to. Channeling all of her feelings of anger and hate, she rolled forwards into Firefox, knocking her down... but then rolled straight over her, going straight off the edge of the cliff. Seeing this, Mad MOAI rushed towards the edge of the cliff and took out a Poké Ball, which she then pointed at Nyasha. Sending out a red beam, she absorbed her Pokémon into the ball, then stepped back from the edge, watching as the sky rippled, then returned to normal - obviously, time had fixed itself again.

Round Four End!

Team SomeGuy
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

vulpixFirefox (♀)
Health: 70%
Energy: 53%
Commands: Protect

Team Mad MOAI
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

exeggcuteNyasha (♀)
Health: 0%
Energy: 66%
Commands: Toxic ~ Frustration

Ref Notes:
  • When Nyasha used Frustration, I counted it as an attack that required significant movement.
  • That was a rather short round.
  • Mad MOAI sends out, then SomeGuy commands, then Mad MOAI commands.
  • Looking through the Referee Headquarters, I realized that I hadn't put in statuses for the Pokémon throughout this entire thread, so I edited the earlier posts to include them.

Last edited:
WHY WON'T YOU LET ME USE FIRE ATTACKS WHYYYY

Start off with Captivate, then hit it with an Energy Ball, and finish up with Extrasensory.

Captivate~Energy Ball~Extrasensory

Okay, so first go with Sandstorm. And then Stone Edge a couple of times, since it's a projectile and won't make you fall off. I probably shouldn't use Rock Tomb because "stomping" might be too much movement.

Sandstorm ~ Stone Edge ~ Stone Edge

Back
Top Bottom