• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Squornshellous Beta vs. Crazy Linoone

Superbird

Fire emblem is great
2vs2 single
Style: Switch
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct recovery moves limited to 2 per Pokemon
Arena: An Extremely Large Cup of Mint Tea

Nobody's quite sure what's Linoone's sudden interest in food-themed battlefields, but here is her second arena of choice (though I've been given the pleasure of writing it out): a, well, extremely large cup of mint tea. The cup in question is, yes, extremely large -- two Wailord long in diameter at its largest and one and a half Wailord deep. So, yes, you actually can battle with a Wailord in this arena, the only problem being that it'll be hard for a Wailord to maneuver in here. The tea cup is a regular shaped tea cup, which means that it's wider on top than on the bottom, with a curved, porcelain handle coming out from one side. Made from white porcelain, the tea cup has been strengthened with a secret formula so that it will not break even under the most powerful attacks.

Now, what's the fun of battling in an empty tea cup? The cup has been filled to almost the rim with delicious, freshly brewed mint tea, made from the most high-quality tea leaves grown on the mystical mountain of Codter. The tea is refreshing and delicious, and will restore 5% health to whatever pokemon that decides to take an action and drink it 50% of the time. However, because of the caffeine and the sheer awesomeness of battling in tea, all attacks deal an extra 2% damage without extra energy costs.

Because it's mint tea instead of regular water, electricity conducts as well as it does in air.

A total of five cod live at the bottom of the tea cup. They're regular cod-sized, about 1.5 meters long, and don't do anything. If a pokemon manages to kill a cod, cook it, and eat it, it can gain 15% HP and 30% energy, although the cod are ridiculously fast and ridiculously hard to catch. Imagine them as level 100 Magikarp with Splash, Tackle, and 200 speed if you will.

Eating raw cod is not advised because it will cause food poisoning.

Other: Have a picture of the tea cup, if it helps.

Also, all pokemon that cannot breath underwater will get a air bubble mask over their face that gives them air to prevent drowning at a cost of -1 speed.

Squornshellous Alpha Squad
[Ni Wá Wa] Baltoy <Levitate>
[Strigiformes] Hoothoot (M) <Insomnia>
[Bactrian] Numel (F) <Oblivious>
[Namahage] Duskull (M) <Levitate> @ Reaper Cloth
[N-Gon] Porygon <Trace> @ Up-Grade
[Romeo] Nidoran (M) <Poison Point> @ Moon Stone
[Juliet] Nidoran (F) <Poison Point> @ Moon Stone
[Han Tang] Bronzor <Levitate>
[Brick] Eelektrik (F) <Levitate> @ Thunderstone
[Raqs Sharqui] Litwick (F) <Flash Fire> @ Dusk Stone

Crazy Linoone's Active Squad
[Crunch] Croconaw (M) <Torrent>
[Death Cannon] Porygon2 <Download> @ Dubious Disc
[Heinkel] Gible (F) <Sand Veil>
[Death Canon] Porygon <Download> @ Up-Grade
[Death Canyon] Porygon2 <Download> @ Dubious Disc
[Blazhy] Aerodactyl (F) <Pressure>
[Delicious Cannonoli] Porygon <Download> @ Up-Grade
[Not A Creeper] Lileep (M) <Suction Cups> @ Big Root
[Bachuru] Joltik (M) <Compoundeyes>
[Kamina] Sandile (M) <Intimidate>

To start things off...
•Squorn sends out
•Linoone sends out and attacks
•Squorn attacks
•I attempt to provide a reffing that will please you people.

Also,Linoone, when you send out, could you please provide whatever custom sprite your pokémon uses if it does use one, and a link to its sig attribute or attack as well? Thank you.

Oh, and DQ will be extended for Linoone until he is definitely not absent any more.

Poof-ing out of non-existence to post this:

Let's go, Canyon! I know you don't have a sig move/mod/thing, so I'm sending you out so I don't have to go look stuff up. Anyhow, start with a Thunderwave for the lulz. If it Protects/Detects/Substitutes/Safeguards and cannot be paralyzed, make a Substitute (large).

On the next two actions, spam Thunderbolt. Chill if it protects/detects/can't be hit for any reason besides Substitute. Sweep the beam across the field if it has clones.

Magic Coat all Status-thingies, unless you have a Sub up already. This is very important and should always be taken into consideration first.

Thunderwave/Substitute ~ Thunderbolt/Chill/Magic Coat ~ Thunderbolt/Chill/Magic Coat

(Still not really here, by the way.)
(Ahhh I hate attacking first :( )

2vs2 single

Nobody's quite sure what's Linoone's sudden interest in food-themed battlefields, but here is her second arena of choice (though I've been given the pleasure of writing it out): a, well, extremely large cup of mint tea. The cup in question is, yes, extremely large -- two Wailord long in diameter at its largest and one and a half Wailord deep. So, yes, you actually can battle with a Wailord in this arena, the only problem being that it'll be hard for a Wailord to maneuver in here. The tea cup is a regular shaped tea cup, which means that it's wider on top than on the bottom, with a curved, porcelain handle coming out from one side. Made from white porcelain, the tea cup has been strengthened with a secret formula so that it will not break even under the most powerful attacks.

Now, what's the fun of battling in an empty tea cup? The cup has been filled to almost the rim with delicious, freshly brewed mint tea, made from the most high-quality tea leaves grown on the mystical mountain of Codter. The tea is refreshing and delicious, and will restore 5% health to whatever pokemon that decides to take an action and drink it 50% of the time. However, because of the caffeine and the sheer awesomeness of battling in tea, all attacks deal an extra 2% damage without extra energy costs.

Because it's mint tea instead of regular water, electricity conducts as well as it does in air.

A total of five cod live at the bottom of the tea cup. They're regular cod-sized, about 1.5 meters long, and don't do anything. If a pokemon manages to kill a cod, cook it, and eat it, it can gain 15% HP and 30% energy, although the cod are ridiculously fast and ridiculously hard to catch. Imagine them as level 100 Magikarp with Splash, Tackle, and 200 speed if you will.

Also, all pokemon that cannot breath underwater will get a air bubble mask over their face that gives them air to prevent drowning at a cost of -1 speed.

First there was a tea cup. Then there was Superbird, who teleported in a second ago with SCUBA gear and waterproof flags. Unfortunately, the League-issued Abra accidentally put him about ten feet above the water, so as he falls he gets a rude awakening. On one side of the tea cup, a mixed-race Ace Trainer finally climbs over the slippery teacup’s rim. Upon doing so, she falls in before the ref has a chance to call up a floating platform for her. He does so immediately. And makes one on the other side of the arena as well. No sooner has he done so, then a huge oversized Linoone falls out of the sky and lands harshly on it.

Squornshellous Beta takes a Dusk Ball from her belt, and tosses it forward. As it touches the surface of the tea, it bursts open in a cloud of dark gas to reveal a reddish-bronze mirror that drops into the water before beginning to levitate in it. Then, Crazy Linoone reaches into his fur and pulls out a Poké Ball with a little rocket emblem on it. He tosses it out as well, and out bursts a sleek and small little duck-like computer program. No sooner does the Porygon2 touch the tea then it starts analyzing its opponent and downloading information to help it.

Round One Begin!

Team BetaOO
xat72s.jpg

[Han Tang] Bronzor
Ability: Levitate
Signature Move: Move Swap
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Team LinooneOO
porygon2@Dubious-Disc
[Death Canyon] Porygon2
Ability: Download
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Death Canyon starts off the fight by orienting his programming to increase the Special-Attack boosting programs. As soon as he’s done so, he shoots forward a weak wave of electricity. The Thunder Wave, catches Han Tang perfectly. The electricity immediately locks up the Bronzor’s movement systems. Fortunately, its next attack doesn’t require movement at all. Han Tang’s eyes begin to glow blue, though Death Canyon thinks nothing of it.

Instead, the Porygon2 charges up another mass of electricity in its fins. Except this time, the attack isn’t gonna just paralyze its opponent. As it lets go of the charge, a large bolt of electricity flies through the water, connecting with and electrocuting Han Tang perfectly. However, the hexagonal mirror doesn’t even notice. Instead, its eyes grow even more cyan, and unbeknownst to Death Canyon, its eyes begin to glow as well. Han Tang lets out a web of energy that scatters around the cup.

Canyon is beginning to get a bit nervous, but soon the Porygon2 Is able to push that thought out of its hard drive. Instead of continuing to process that thought, it instead begins charging up yet another Thunderbolt, releasing the electricity the same as before. Again, Han Tang is electrocuted—but it still doesn’t move. Instead, it begins to glow somewhat cyan, and the bluish-cyan web around the arena suddenly closes in on the Porygon2. It finds its way though the program’s hard drive and steals some data, then rips itself out of the cyberduck’s body and flies back to Han Tang. The Bronzor looks though his new move selection curiously while Death Canyon tries to figure out what that new emptiness in its hard drive is.

Round One End!

Team BetaOO
xat72s.jpg

[Han Tang] Bronzor
Health: 76%
Energy: 92%
Condition: “Hmm. Nice.” Move Swap disabled permenantly.
Status: Paralyzed (Severe; 50% chance of full paralysis and extra energy on all attacks requiring movement). Can use Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, and Nightmare(6 more rounds). Stealth Rock, Iron Defense, Natural Gift all disabled(6 more rounds)

Team LinooneOO
porygon2@Dubious-Disc
[Death Canyon] Porygon2
Health: 95%
Energy: 86%
Condition: Wondering what parts of its hard drive are missing. Special Attack +1 (permenant).
Status: Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, Tri-Attack, Nightmare, Lock On all disabled(Six more rounds)

Arena Notes
•Nothing out of the ordinary~

Damage and Energy Calculations
•Thunder Wave: 4% energy
•Move Swap: 8% energy
•Thunderbolt: 12% damage, 5% energy
•Thunderbolt: 12% damage, 5% energy
•Move Swap: 5% damage

Notes
•Since Bronzor have equal Defense and Special Defense I randomized the Download boost. Is this correct? Anyway, it came out to raise Special Attack.
•Canyon lost Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, Tri-Attack, Nightmare, and Lock On. Of those, Han Tang gained the ones currently bolded. It lost Stealth Rock, Iron Defense, and Natural Gift.
•Veekun’s Random Move search is very unfriendly to me =(

Next Round:
•Squornshellous Beta attacks
•Crazy Linoone attacks
•I ref

Last edited:
Let's go with a relatively simple command string because I have no idea what I'm doing
Safeguard, then Hypnosis until it's asleep, and if you still have an action Dream Eater. If for whatever reason you can't use those then use Psychic.

Safeguard / Psychic ~ Hypnosis / Psychic ~ Dream Eater / Hypnosis / Psychic

Also you said Han Tang was silver-blue :o It's bright red!

Still not here! I'll legitly be back tomorrow.

Substitute (15%) so the Hypnosis fails, and then spam Discharge.

Substitute (15%) ~ Discharge ~ Discharge

2vs2 single

Round Two Begin!

Team BetaOO
xat72s.jpg

[Han Tang] Bronzor
Health: 76%
Energy: 92%
Condition: “Hmm. Nice.” Move Swap disabled permanently.
Status: Paralyzed (Severe; 30% chance of full paralysis and extra energy on all attacks requiring movement). Can use Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, and Nightmare(6 more rounds). Stealth Rock, Iron Defense, Natural Gift all disabled(6 more rounds)

Team LinooneOO
porygon2@Dubious-Disc
[Death Canyon] Porygon2
Health: 95%
Energy: 86%
Condition: Wondering what parts of its hard drive are missing. Special Attack +1 (permanent).
Status: Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, Tri-Attack, Nightmare, Lock On all disabled(Six more rounds)​

Death Canyon immediately begins the round by discharging some of the matter in its storage tanks. As soon as said matter has been sent to float around in the tea, the Porygon2 transmits its life energy into the matter, which immediately forms into a similarly-shaped Porygon-like thing. Meanwhile, at the other side of the teacup, Han Tang is concentrating deeply. Soon, a translucent yellow barrier forms around the Bronzor, maybe five meters in diameter. The shield, Han Tang knows, will protect it from anything his opponent tries to throw at it to weigh it down.

Now that it’s created a temporary shield, as the Substitute could be called, Canyon decides to begin attacking his opponent. The Porygon gathers up a large mass of electricity, discharging it in a huge wave. Its opponent is hit by the wave of Electricity, the translucent cream-colored shield doing nothing about it, but thankfully suffers no ill effects other than standard wear. In return, the Bronzor lets out a wave of energy, meant to make its opponent fall unconscious in Sleep. But the wave crashes right into the Substitute, leaving the actual Porygon2 unharmed.

Unharmed enough, that is, to launch its next attack. The Porygon2 lets out yet another spread-out wave of electricity, which electrocutes its opponent the same as last time. Han Tang scowls, but at least it’s not paralyzed. So it can retaliate—and hopefully that accursed Substitute won’t get in the way this time. The Bronzor sends another focused wave of mystical psychic energy, and this time it doesn’t hit the Substitute—it misses entirely. The wave hits against the back edge of the teacup and dissipates without having any effect. Canyon, oblivious, is already planning its next attack as Han Tang growls angrily.

Round Two End!

Team BetaOO
xat72s.jpg

[Han Tang] Bronzor
Health: 52%
Energy: 77%
Condition: “I hate this guy.” Move Swap disabled permanently.
Status: Paralyzed (Moderate; 20% chance of full paralysis and extra energy on all attacks requiring movement). Can use Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, and Nightmare(5 more rounds). Stealth Rock, Iron Defense, Natural Gift all disabled(5 more rounds). Safeguard is in effect(2 more actions)

Team LinooneOO
porygon2@Dubious-Disc
[Death Canyon] Porygon2
Health: 70%
Energy: 66%
Condition: Blissful. Special Attack +1 (permanent).
Status: Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, Tri-Attack, Nightmare, Lock On all disabled(5 more rounds)
porygon2Substitute: 15% Health​

Arena Notes

•Substitute: -15% health, 8% energy
•Safeguard: 4% energy (+1% upkeep per action)
•Discharge: 11% damage, 6% energy
•Hypnosis: 4% energy
•Discharge: 11% damage, 6% energy
•Hypnosis: 4% energy

Notes
•The Substitute blocked the Hypnosis on actions 2 and 3.
•Hypnosis missed entirely on action 3.
•...Both the Discharges had an accuracy roll of exactly 67.
•Beta, may I have permission to refer to Han Tang as a male instead of genderless?

Next Round:
•Linoone attacks
•Beta attacks
•I ref

Last edited:
I had kind of hoped that Tang would consider Substitute to be a "you can't use Hypnosis" situation, but ah well, I'm clearly going to lose anyway.

And yeah, you can refer to it as male if you want.

Also typo. "(5= more rounds)"

Also also, as has been pointed out to me recently, 50% chance of full paralysis is waaaay too high. For moderate paralysis about 20% or even less seems like it'd be about right.

As I saw it that was more of a 'I can use it but it won't work' then a 'I'm incapable of using it' kind of thing. I was thinking you meant Taunt or something.

Also, thank you for reminding me that the Paralysis faded at the end of the round. But that was Severe paralysis, and the way I ref it that only kicks in anyway if there's movement involved.

Herpidy derp derp.

Now that we're sufficiently protected by the Substitute, it's time for some spamming. First, Mimic that Hypnosis for later uses. Then spam Thunderbolts, making sure to sweep them if the bronzor has clones. Chill if it Protects, Detects, or cannot be hit for any reason besides Substitute.

Mimic (Hypnosis) ~ Thunderbolt/Chill ~ Thunderbolt/Chill

2vs2 single

Round Three Begin!

Team BetaOO
xat72s.jpg

[Han Tang] Bronzor
Energy: 77%
Condition: “I hate this guy.” Move Swap disabled permanently.
Status: Paralyzed (Moderate; 20% chance of full paralysis and extra energy on all attacks requiring movement). Can use Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, and Nightmare(5 more rounds). Stealth Rock, Iron Defense, Natural Gift all disabled(5 more rounds). Safeguard is in effect(2 more actions)

Team LinooneOO
porygon2@Dubious-Disc
[Death Canyon] Porygon2
Health: 70%
Energy: 66%
Condition: Blissful. Special Attack +1 (permanent).
Status: Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, Tri-Attack, Nightmare, Lock On all disabled(5 more rounds)
porygon2Substitute: 15% Health​

Death Canyon listens to commands, then gets to work analyzing its opponent’s last action. Hmm, that psychic wave looks easy to replicate. The cyberduck takes a few minutes to work out how it could theoretically copy the attack, successfully figuring out a suitable method just as its opponent finally prepares his attack. Han Tang closes his eyes and searches the arena for mental presences…Okay, he sees the fish at the bottom of the cup…Oh, there it is! He hones in on the presence, getting straight inside its mind and letting his energy loose. In the real teacup, Canyon’s Substitute shudders and crumbles a little. Han tang opens his eyes, stares at his target, and sighs in frustration.

Now that it thinks it can sufficiently hypnotize its opponent if necessary, Death Canyon charges up another mass of electricity, letting it out soon enough in a large bolt that streams through the teacup and passes a foot or so left of its intended target. Han Tang smiles, and closes his eyes once again. He searches the cup again for mental presences, and hones in on the Substitute once again. The attack makes the little clone fall apart, disintegrating into the tea.

But Death Canyon doesn’t really notice. Instead, it looks at its opponent’s translucent orangeish shield, which is spluttering away into nonexistence. Wonderful, maybe that will help its effort. Yet again, the cyberduck charges up a bolt of electricity, sending the wonderful little thing at its opponent at a blinding speed. This time, the attack doesn’t miss. Even worse, static jumps off of the Thunderbolt as it makes contact, sinking into Han Tang’s body and stiffening him up even worse than he already is. He curses his rotten luck, then tries again to find his opponent’s mind. Wait, he can’t see one…Oh, that’s why. He instead begins to look for any hard drives in the area. Finding his opponent’s CPU almost immediately he hones in on it and lets loose with his attack. The Porygon jerks and flinches as the attack goes off in the middle of its programming, hitting much harder than it should’ve and partially disabling its immaterial defense nodes. Death Canyon nervously checks the rest of its programming for signs of fault…that will have to be repaired as soon as possible.

Round Three End!

Team BetaOO
xat72s.jpg

[Han Tang] Bronzor
Health: 41%
Energy: 54%
Condition: “Oh for Arceus’s sake NOT AGAIN!” Move Swap disabled permanently.
Status: Paralyzed (Severe; 30% chance of full paralysis and extra energy on all attacks requiring movement). Can use Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, and Nightmare(4 more rounds). Stealth Rock, Iron Defense, Natural Gift all disabled(4 more rounds).

Team LinooneOO
porygon2@Dubious-Disc
[Death Canyon] Porygon2
Energy: 48%
Condition: “WARNING: LEVEL 1 IMMATERIAL DEFENSE NODES DISABLED” Special Attack +1 (permanent). Can use Hypnosis.
Status: Hyper Beam, Shock Wave, Tri-Attack, Nightmare, Lock On all disabled(4 more rounds). Special Defense -1.​

Arena Notes

•Mimic: 6% energy
•Psychic: 11% damage, 7% energy
•Thunderbolt: 6% energy
•Psychic: 11% damage, 7% energy
•Thunderbolt: 11% damage, 6% energy
•Psychic: 18% damage, 7% energy

Notes
•Because they were special Psychics, they all had a 30% chance of loering Special Defense instead of 10%.
•The second and third Psychics lowered Canyon’s Special Defense.
•…Or at least, the second one would’ve had the Substitute not jumped in the way.
•…As if that weren’t enough, the third Psychic scored a Critical Hit.
•…So did the first Thunderbolt.
•…except for the small fact that it missed.
•The third Thunderbolt renewed Han Tang’s paralysis.

Next Round:
•Beta attacks
•Linoone attacks
•I ref

Last edited:
Hypnosis till it works, then Dream Eater a lot. If it can't be hit by Hypnosis or you can't use it for whatever reason, default to Psychic. If you can't do that either, Future Sight.

Hypnosis / Psychic / Future Sight ~ Dream Eater / Psychic / Future Sight ~ Dream Eater / Psychic / Future Sight

(All Psychics to be mental-intrusion version)

Heh. Since the bronzor's Safeguard faded last round, we can be super evil and Magic Coat the Hypnosises. Technically, you'll still be hit by the Hypnosis, so :D for us. Try to get to go to someplace so that the bronzor's Hypnosis has a maximum chance of hitting you (and thus being reflected), like, say, right in front of the bronzor or something.

After the bronzor is successfully asleep, Substitute like a boss and, if you still have time, Chill.

Magic Coat ~ Magic Coat/Substitute(15%) ~ Magic Coat/Chill/Substitute(15%)

Because I rolled the RNG and it gave me a 100. All attacks short of Aerial Ace/Faint Attack/etc. have at least a 1% chance of missing in ASB, if you weren't already aware.

Oh darn it :( Oh well. I just though it was weird that it was a critical hit but it still missed.

Back
Top Bottom