• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Skyman vs. Zapi

Lord of the Fireflies

Back in black.
3vs3 single
Style: Switch
DQ: 8 days
Damage cap: 25%
Banned moves: OHKO moves, weather-changing moves, 20 chills
Arena: Surrounded plain

A fairly large and unremarkable plain, with the exclusion of the fact that it is surrounded entirely by rock walls, has a sizeable lake on the southern side, and the fact that the heavans refuse to obey any pokemon, thus preventing the weather ever changing from a nice autumn day.
Other: Only 100% unevolved pokemon may be used

Skyman's Active Squad

mudkip.png

Jack the Male Mudkip
Ability: Torrent

pichu.png

Pika the Male Pichu
Ability: Static

shroomish.png

Loom the Female Shroomish
Ability: Poison Heal

ralts.png

Psy the Female Ralts
Ability: Trace

starly-f.png

Star the Female Starly
Ability: Keen Eye

Zapi's Active Squad

bulbasaur.png

Violet the Female Bulbasaur
Ability: Overgrow

axew.png

Johanna the Female Axew
Ability: Rivalry

ralts.png

Wally the Male Ralts
Ability: Synchronize

sentret.png

Julian the Male Sentret
Ability: Run Away

gastly.png

Persephone the Female Gastly
Ability: Levitate

Anyways, good luck to both of you!

Last edited:
Re: BlinkingSky v.s. Zapi

That's the players' call, not the ref's. Use normal send-out style unless the battlers or challenge rules specifically say something else is to be done. They're welcome to agree to your suggestion, but generally speaking no one cares about the disadvantages of sending out first because it's mitigated by attacking second.

Even if they do want to PM their first choices, you'd still need to give the command order in the first post.

I'll PM my selection, since you want it that way. Unless Zapi decides not to, of course. Then I'll post my selection.

3vs3 single

A fairly large and unremarkable plain, with the exclusion of the fact that it is surrounded entirely by rock walls, has a sizeable lake on the southern side, and the fact that the heavens refuse to obey any pokemon, thus preventing the weather ever changing from a nice autumn day.

Pre-Battle

As a very bright morning sun rises over the Surrounded Plain, a lone teenager appears out of what seems to be nowhere, and observes the beautiful scenery. The early light playing through the various bushes scattered on the plain and painting golden shapes on the immense brick wall could be considering as a calm and relaxing thought, however, the air itself seems to be holding its breath, waiting for the epic battle to begin.

After few minutes of lunatic waiting, the referee perceives the vague shadow of a trainer duo arriving, riding on the back of the League’s Dragonite. Upon landing, they quickly shake hands and walk to opposite sides of the field.

Both trainers nod to the referee, confirming their choice. The referee shouts a brief “Go!” and the battlers throw in a perfect synchronism their chosen Poké Ball. Out of Zapi’s Dusk Ball comes a cloud of noxious gases, which opens eyes and mouth wide, ready to tear her foes apart. With a flashing light, Blinkingsky’s Timer Ball cracks open and releases a grayish bird that soars up to the morning sky with a powerful echoing “Fweeeeeep!” . The trainers are ready to give the commands and can’t wait to see what their foe is capable of.

Team Sky
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

starly-f.png
Star – female
<Keen Eye>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Status: “Such space!” Exceedingly excited about the battle.​

Team Zap
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

gastly.png

Persephone – female
<Levitate>

Notes:

BlinkingSky orders first.

Last edited:

OK Star, lets do this!

Lead off with foresight so that he doesn't pull any phasing shenanigans. Then, on the next turn use Ominous Wind, unless he protected/was unaffected by foresight for some odd reason last action, in which case use that now. Finally, Fly(up) if you were able to execute your primary commands. If not, however, then use Ominous Wind now. If on any action he should protect/detect/guard against the move you were going to use, then use agility instead to boost up your speed.

Foresight/Agility~Ominous Wind/Foresight/Agility~Fly(up)/Ominous Wind/Agility

(Persephone is a she, Sky.)

Okay, 'seph. You won't be able to hit her with ghost attacks, but that's alright. Start of with Toxic to poison her, then follow up with Venoshock for some extra damage. That ominous wind will probably hurt, and we don't want her to use it again -- so Disable it before she can fly away.

Toxic ~ Venoshock ~ Disable

3vs3 single

A fairly large and unremarkable plain, with the exclusion of the fact that it is surrounded entirely by rock walls, has a sizeable lake on the southern side, and the fact that the heavens refuse to obey any pokemon, thus preventing the weather ever changing from a nice autumn day.

Team Sky
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

starly-f.png
Star – female
<Keen Eye>
Status: "Such space!"Exceedingly excited about the battle.​

Team Zap
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

gastly.png

Persephone – female
<Levitate>

Round I Start

Before even the referee waves his flag, Persephone jumps into action by spitting on Star a powerful jet of foul toxins from deep inside her body. The noxious spray is a direct hit, and the poison slowly seeps in the Starly’s plumage. The peeping bird, even if disgusted barely feels the effect of it, as she concentrates on powering up her eyesight. Suddenly, a red beam comes out of Star’s eyes and sweeps the area, quickly locating the startled Gastly. The gas cloud is scanned analyzed, and soon Persephone feels the effect of the Foresight. Her hollow body is brought back to reality and solidifies, making her feel rather heavier than usual.

The Gastly doesn’t worry, though: she has better things to do by now. She concentrates, then exhales a swarm of tiny poisonous particles that flies to Star, penetrating her skin and creating a violent chemical reaction with the toxic poison. She lets out a loud and echoing cry of pain. Amused, Persephone grins evilly. Star bravely gets up and leers at her. “I won’t let you go away with it!” She begins to flap her wings faster, creating a strong whirlwind, without forgetting to add the little ghostly energy she has in her to the mix. The resulting dark-purple wind strikes Persephone hard, and she is sent rolling to the ground.

She slowly begins to float again, and in a split-second she is looking angrily at Star, shouting: “Is that all you can do? Flapping your tiny wings, hoping to produce that pitiful excuse for a ghost-type attack? That’s ridiculous!” She starts to laugh forcefully, hoping to produce somewhat of an effect on Star. The little bird can’t help but weep at the insult, but quickly recovers. “I can’t let that mean Pokémon affect my judgement! I just won’t use that attack again, and everyone will be happy!” she thinks. She soars up to the sky, hoping to gain the momentum necessary to shut that arrogant ghost up.

Round I End

Team Sky
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

starly-f.png
Star – female
<Keen Eye>
Health: 84%
Energy: 86%
Status: "Bleurgh…"Dizzy from the effects of poison. (Toxic poisoned: 1% this round, 2% next, Up: 1% energy/ action to maintain, Ominous Wind disabled: Two more rounds)​

Team Zap
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

gastly.png

Persephone – female
<Levitate>
Health: 91%
Energy: 79%
Status: "I am so evil."Grinning.(Under the effects of Foresight: Phasing and Double Team will have no effect, can be hit by Normal-type and Fighting-type attacks: Four more actions)

Damage and Energy Calculations

Toxic - 6% energy
Foresight - 2% energy
Venoshock - 15% damage, 10% energy
Ominous Wind - 9% damage, 9% energy
Disable - 5% energy
Fly (Up) - 3% energy

Notes:

- All attacks hit.
- Ominous Wind did not raise stats.

Arena Notes:

- Nothing out of the ordinary.

Next Round:

- Zapi orders first

You won't be able to hit Star very well while she's up in the air, so chill until she comes down. If you're able to easily get close to her at any point, use Ice Punch. If she tries to use swagger, Protect.

Chill / Protect / Ice Punch ~ Chill / Ice Punch / Protect ~ Chill / Ice Punch / Protect

Lets take advantage of this free round to set up, eh Star?

First, make a nice and big Substitute ~20%. Then, use Agility to make yourself much faster. Finally, use Featherdance to make all of her physical moves feel like nothing to you.

Substitute 20%~Agility~Featherdance

3vs3 single

Team Sky
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

starly-f.png
Star – female
<Keen Eye>
Health: 84%
Energy: 86%
Status: "Bleurgh…"Dizzy from the effects of poison. (Toxic poisoned: 1% this round, 2% next, Up: 1% energy/ action to maintain, Ominous Wind disabled: Two more rounds)​

Team Zap
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

gastly.png

Persephone – female
<Levitate>
Energy: 79%
Status: "I am so evil."Grinning.(Under the effects of Foresight: Phasing and Double Team will have no effect, can be hit by Normal-type and Fighting-type attacks: Four more actions)

Round II Start

Persephone looks at the tiny dot in the sky. “How am I supposed to hit that thing?” she thinks. “Maybe… maybe I could just relax a bit, until that annoying chicken comes down to me.” She closes her eyes and land, waiting for the actual battle to continue. Star, meanwhile, tries to focus on what her trainer asked her. She looks around restlessly for anything that would be solid enough to create a decoy, in vain. The sky seems empty of anything suitable for a decent substitute. Anyways, she starts to concentrate hard, in hope of something happening. Suddenly, swirls of air start to gather in front of Star, creating a vaporous decoy. It then solidifies and turns into ice, having the exact same traits of her creator. Star peeps happily.

Once again, the Gastly gives a quick look at her opponent, trying to figure out when she would finally land. Seeing she would have to wait for some time, she closes her eyes once more, regaining energy. Up in the sky, Star hears her trainer’s shouted orders. Nodding she starts to fly in circles at high speed, so fast that she becomes near invisible from the ground. After a few moments, she finds her body warmed up enough to outpace her gaseous adversary.

Chaining up her last attack, Star quickly flaps her wings to produce a myriad of feathers that fall to the ground like a soft rain, aimed at Persephone. By the time the attack reached the ghost, however, it had lost all of its energy and the feather rain scattered on the plain, harmlessly. Persephone opened only one eye, this time, and since her opponent was again out of sight, she rolled on the back, snoring.

Round II End

Team Sky
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

starly-f.png
Star – female
<Keen Eye>
Health: 62%
Energy: 59%
Status: "Weeee!"Joyously flapping her wings. (+2 speed, Toxic poisoned: 2% this round, 3% next, Up: 1% energy/ action to maintain, Ominous Wind disabled: One more round)
starly.gif
:20% health​

Team Zap
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

gastly.png

Persephone – female
<Levitate>
Status: " >:("Getting impatient.(Under the effects of Foresight: Phasing and Double Team will have no effect, can be hit by Normal-type and Fighting-type attacks: One more action)
Chills: 3/20

Damage and Energy Calculations:

Chill – Restored 10% energy
Substitute – 20% health, 12% energy
Chill – Restored 10% energy
Agility – 5% energy
FeatherDance – 7% energy
Chill – Restored 1% energy

Notes:

- I gave FeatherDance a 50% chance of lowering Persephone's Attack stat one stage, and it missed (because you know, feathers are light and easily blown away in a windy plain).
- Agility, FeatherDance and Substitute cost 2% additional energy each due to being performed while flying.

Arena Notes:

- Some feathers are scattered around Persephone.

Next Round:

- Skyman orders first.

Last edited:

Hold on a second. In the A&A guide, it says that featherdance just basically sends a bunch of feathers down upon the opponent, lulling the opponent into a sense of complacency and lowering their attack. I didn't see any mention about the feathers needing any power-just that they need to blanket the opponent is sheer fluffy goodness.

Well, Persephone could hit Star. His accuracy is just reduced due to Star being up in the air, according to the A&A definition of when using fly to stay up in the air.

Also, from what I understand(and what another ref has told me when I asked them), a substitute can be formed out of anything, whether it be clouds, feathers, stone, bone, skin, or even just pure life force(not sure how you would ref that, but he did say that it was possible).

I am not sure about all that, since well you could set-up like a madman while in the air and the opponent couldn't do anything to stop you, so i'm really not sure...

Maybe just wait for somebody with a little more experience to check this? If the reffing has to be change well I don't mind changing it, though I'm confused about what should be done right now.

I -personally- think substitute should've worked normally, and featherdance should've had slightly reduced accuracy & effect. But I'm the only one here who's not a ref so...my opinion doesn't count as much, I guess.

You can indeed make a Substitute from pure life force - suffice to say you can make a Substitute anywhere, even if you were in some black void for whatever reason. So yeah, Star should've been able to use Substitute.

As for Featherdance, so far as I see it, Star is too far up for her to cover Persephone in feathers; they're light, fluffy things, after all, so they'd probably be scattered by the wind by the time they reach Persephone.

EDIT: Some of the feathers would reach Persephone, I suppose; a chance to reduce attack by one stage could work, but personally I wouldn't give it that high of a success rate.

Back
Top Bottom