• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[11] Kratos Aurion vs Superbird (Ref: zeKieranator)

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
1 vs 1
DQ Time: 3 Days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, chills, direct healers
Terrain: Castelia City Square

Castelia City is the gateway to Unova, its port welcoming trainers from around the world. Today those trainers include a fair number from Asber, turned out to compete or spectate on the first round of the League Championship. The city square at the center of Castelia has been reserved for the first round of battle, its broad cobbled expanse providing plenty of room to fight and the central fountain offering a refuge for pokémon that would rather swim than stand. Skyscrapers rise on all sides, framing the scene with the imposing prosperity of Castelia City.

More than just Asber's own trainers have turned out for the battles, though; plenty of curious Castelia residents and tourists mill about the rim of the arena, hoping to catch a few exciting battles. To ensure that they don't go unsatisfied, the regional authorities have generously--and forcefully--provided some of Unova's most powerful pokémon for the trainers to test-drive and show off for the crowd. Unfortunately, with the number of battles that need to be run through before the TCoD League's lease on the square expires, some of the fights might have to be truncated a bit.

For this battle, you will be using a pokémon on loan from the Unova League. Your choices are below. The first player will get first pick of pokémon, and the second will make their pick and then attack as usual. This match will be capped at five rounds. If both pokémon are still standing at the end of round five, the pokémon's health and energy will be added together and the one with the most will be declared the winner.

The pokémon:

Cofagrigus (F) <Cursed Body>
Stoutland (M) <Sand Rush>
Volcarona (F) <Flame Body>
Sigilyph (M) <Magic Guard>

1. Kratos Aurion chooses a pokémon
2. Superbird chooses a pokémon and attacks
3. Kratos Aurion attacks

Cofagrigus can only have mummy; typo, I guess.

Anyway, I think I'll take that stoutland.

All right, then. I'll use that Volcarona there.

Okay. So. Let's start with a little Will O' Wisp to lower that attack power. If for some reason Will O' Wisp will not work on Stoutland, switch to Quiver Dance. Second action, use Quiver Dance, unless Will O' Wisp didn't work on the first action; in that case use Will O' Wisp again, unless Stoutland again won't be affected by the attack. In that case, use Quiver Dance again. On the third action—If Stoutland has changed the weather to either rain or Sandstorm (or is going to on that action), I want you to wait until it's already moved and then cover that up with Sunny Day. If it hasn't changed the weather, then use Flamethrower on your opponent; EXCEPT: If Stoutland still isn't burned (and Will O' Wisp will work completely) then drop everything and do that instead. If you can't hit with will O' Wisp or Flamethrower (ex. Protect/Detect), then Sunny Day anyway.

Will O' Wisp/Quiver Dance ~ Quiver Dance/Will O' wisp ~ Flamethrower/Sunny Day/Will O' Wisp

Hm. The burn will suck, but I think we're just going to have to take it in the name of minimizing all that boosting nonsense. 'sides, you've got a more much interesting status in the form of yawn. (And hey, maybe will-o-wisp will miss. Might get lucky.) Follow it up with a surf from that fountain; if she's using will-o-wisp because it failed last action, try to time the surf so that it might put the wisp out as well as hit her. If you can't do that, don't sweat it. Lastly, once Volcarona is conked out, boost your own stats with work up. If for some bizarre reason you were unable to get her to yawn, shift all your commands over by an action and proceed. If surf should happen to snap Volcarona out of her drowsiness such that she won't fall asleep at all (highly unlikely, according to Negrek, but still), then yawn again on the last action.

Uh, and if the water in the fountain isn't enough for surf after all, rock tomb on the second action and work up if you would be surfing on the last.

Yawn ~ Surf/Yawn/Rock Tomb ~ Work Up/Yawn/Surf

Last edited:
1 vs 1

Castelia City is the gateway to Unova, its port welcoming trainers from around the world. Today those trainers include a fair number from Asber, turned out to compete or spectate on the first round of the League Championship. The city square at the center of Castelia has been reserved for the first round of battle, its broad cobbled expanse providing plenty of room to fight and the central fountain offering a refuge for pokémon that would rather swim than stand. Skyscrapers rise on all sides, framing the scene with the imposing prosperity of Castelia City.

More than just Asber's own trainers have turned out for the battles, though; plenty of curious Castelia residents and tourists mill about the rim of the arena, hoping to catch a few exciting battles. To ensure that they don't go unsatisfied, the regional authorities have generously--and forcefully--provided some of Unova's most powerful pokémon for the trainers to test-drive and show off for the crowd. Unfortunately, with the number of battles that need to be run through before the TCoD League's lease on the square expires, some of the fights might have to be truncated a bit.

For this battle, you will be using a pokémon on loan from the Unova League. Your choices are below. The first player will get first pick of pokémon, and the second will make their pick and then attack as usual. This match will be capped at five rounds. If both pokémon are still standing at the end of round five, the pokémon's health and energy will be added together and the one with the most will be declared the winner.

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

508.gif
Stoutland (♂)
Ability: Sand Rush
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Yawn ~ Surf / Yawn / Rock Tomb ~ Work Up / Yawn / Surf

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

637.gif
Volcarona (♀)
Ability: Flame Body
Energy: 100%
Commands: Will-o-Wisp / Quiver Dance ~ Quiver Dance / Will-o-wisp ~ Flamethrower / Sunny Day / Will-o-Wisp

Round One Begin!

Superbird's new Volcarona started the show this round, by opening her mouth and spitting out a glowing blue fireball, which she then directed towards her opponent. Unfortunately (for her, at least) the ball went drifting through the arena, and eventually got blown off course and into the fountain, where it put itself out. Stoutland smiled at this turn of events, and then let out a huge yawn, which reverberated through the arena. Volcarona was obviously hit by the attack, as she let out a yawn of her own, and was visibly not concentrating as hard as one would normally.

However, just because she wasn't concentrating as much doesn't mean she wasn't concentrating at all. She still managed to summon another blue globe of fire and set it on Stoutland. This time, her attack stayed on course, but before it could reach its target, Stoutland gathered together all of the water in the fountain together and unleashed it in a giant wave which swept through the square, putting out the Will-o-Wisp and crashing into her. After that, Volcarona was so tired from the Yawn that she closed her eyes and dropped to the floor, asleep.

While Volcarona wasn't capable of doing much other than rolling over in her sleep, Stoutland was still primed for action, and decided to use his opponent's downtime to get himself prepared for when she woke up again. So, he started prepping himself, stretching and warming up as well as boosting his self-confidence with short cheers and pep talk. Once he had finished, he looked up and held his head high - he felt stronger than he had before by quite a bit, and felt ready to take on Volcarona again.

Round One End!

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

508.gif
Stoutland (♂)
Energy: 89%
+1 Attack, +1 Special Attack
Commands: Yawn ~ Surf ~ Work Up

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

637.gif
Volcarona (♀)
Health: 86%
Energy: 94%
Asleep (moderate)
Commands: Will-o-Wisp (missed) ~ Will-o-wisp (blocked by Surf) ~ Asleep

Ref Notes:
  • Will-o-Wisp missed on the first action.
  • The fountain has been emptied of water - it can no longer be used as a water source.
  • Superbird Kratos Aurion commands first next round.
  • I apologize for the lateness - I was not aware that the tournament had started early, and I'll do my best to make sure the rest of my battles are done on time.

Last edited:
I believe I am supposed to attack first, actually. I'll just go ahead and post, and you can repost new commands afterward if zeKieranator agrees that that's correct. If not, well, my orders aren't changing whether I'm going first or second so it doesn't matter to me.

Well done, Stoutland. The surf has served its purpose, so no need to worry about that—we've got better things to be doing. Get yourself good and worked up while Volcarona sleeps, and then finish the round off with a rock tomb (tear up the cobblestones, I guess). Try and pin her wings down if you can, and try not to cover her up entirely so you've got room to keep hitting her later. The important part is that you just focus really hard on hitting her at all, though, so if precision pinning will jack with your accuracy then just forget it and bury her as best you can. Regardless, there's no way that won't wake her up, but until rock tomb's effect kicks in you should still be slower, so she shouldn't come to until well after her turn to act is over.

Should Volcarona successfully wake herself up and try to evade rock tomb, use aerial ace; if she protects or flies out of aerial ace's reach, however, just work up again.

Work Up ~ Work Up ~ Rock Tomb/Aerial Ace/Work Up

Last edited:
Yes, you are supposed to attack first - I had just looked over the thread and saw that you had posted first, so I figured that Superbird would go first this time. I'll go and fix that.

...Yeah, Fly does look like a good option.

Volcarona, if you somehow wake up before the third action then use Fiery Dance. On the third action I'm confident you'll be awake, so at that point use Fly to avoid the Rock Tomb and Aerial Ace. Come down after that Stoutland has already worked itself up.

Fiery Dance ~ Fiery Dance ~ Fly (up then down after attack)

1 vs 1

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

508.gif
Stoutland (♂)
Energy: 89%
+1 Attack, +1 Special Attack
Commands: Work Up ~ Work Up ~ Rock Tomb / Aerial Ace / Work Up

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

637.gif
Volcarona (♀)
Health: 86%
Asleep (moderate)
Commands: Fiery Dance ~ Fiery Dance ~ Fly

Round Two Begin!

While Volcarona was asleep, Stoutland had ample time to prepare himself for the rounds ahead, and decided to make the most of this time by boosting his stats. So, once again, he started up a routine of jogging and stretching, as well as motivating himself with self-administered cheering.

While the attack was certainly effective, it was not very appealing to the crowd, who were looking for an exciting match. So, fueled by their calls and his trainer's commands, Stoutland lifted up his foot and smashed it against the ground, sending a ripple through the cobblestones to Volcarona, who was still lying asleep on the ground on the other side of the arena. When the attack reached its target, the stones around Volcarona were thrown up into the air, and landed with a thud on top of her wings. She was suddenly awoken by this jolt of pain, and tried to get up and use her actions, but she was struggling to move under the pile of rocks, and by this point, the referee had already blown his whistle for the round to end.

Round Two End!

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

508.gif
Stoutland (♂)
Energy: 80%
+3 Attack, +3 Special Attack
Commands: Work Up ~ Work Up ~ Rock Tomb

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

637.gif
Volcarona (♀)
Health: 64%
-1 Speed
Commands: Asleep ~ Asleep ~ Asleep

Ref Notes:
  • Volcarona was asleep for all three actions, and woke up at the end of the round.
  • The fountain has been emptied of water - it can no longer be used as a water source.
  • Superbird commands first next round.

HAY WUT NOT FAIR

Anyhow, let's try something, Volcarona. You should still be faster than that Stoutland over there, so let's use our first action to Fly up to a roof or something. One of the shorter rooves, preferably. Then, two Fiery Dances. If you don't think you can hit from up there, then just Quiver Dance instead.

However, if you don't think you can fly all the way up there, then I want you to instead just use Fiery Dance all the way. Fly over any Yawn or any Super-effective moves.

Fly(up)/Fiery Dance/Fly(up AND down) ~ Fiery Dance/Quiver Dance/Fly(up AND down) x2

Last edited:
You've only posted two commands in your command string. I presume from reading your description that you meant:

Fly (up) / Fiery Dance / Fly (up + down) ~ Fiery Dance / Quiver Dance / Fly (up + down) ~ Fiery Dance / Quiver Dance / Fly (up + down)?

Hm... rain dance, then thunder twice. Should still be able to hit her on a roof. If you don't think you'll be able to hit her with thunder even with the rain, however, or if it doesn't look like Volcarona will be able to get out from the rocks in time to get away from you, then aerial ace on the first action to keep her in reach for the rest of the round, followed by thunder wave and strength.

Rain Dance/Aerial Ace ~ Thunder/Thunder Wave ~ Thunder/Strength

1 vs 1

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

508.gif
Stoutland (♂)
Energy: 80%
Commands: Rain Dance / Aerial Ace ~ Thunder / Thunder Wave ~ Thunder / Strength

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

637.gif
Volcarona (♀)
Health: 64%
-1 Speed
Commands: Fly (up) / Fiery Dance / Fly (up + down) ~ Fiery Dance / Quiver Dance / Fly (up + down) ~ Fiery Dance / Quiver Dance / Fly (up + down)

Round Three Begin!

With the last round being somewhat uneventful, the crowd was hoping for some action this time, and their wish was granted with Volcarona spreading her wings and flying to the top of one of the buildings ringing the city square. Stoutland, unable to reach her from that distance, instead started dancing around the arena, almost flailing about. Volcarona was confused as to what he was doing, but then looked up and saw a large mass of clouds gathering over the arena. When Stoutland had stopped dancing, the clouds started pouring down rain, and both the crowd and the referee had to take out an umbrella to protect themselves from the downpour.

Looking down at her opponent from the top of the building, Volcarona felt safer when she was out of range of his attacks. Almost in a taunting manner, she performed another dance on the rooftop, shooting fireballs down at the square below her. When she had finished, she felt her inner strength focused more intensely, but then looked down to see Stoutland, unharmed, in deep concentration. At first angry at herself for her attack missing, she then wondered what he was concentrating for, but then heard a crack from above. Looking up, she saw a flash of light inside the clouds, and then a thunderbolt jumped down from the sky and slammed into her.

Now severely annoyed, she decided to have another go at attacking him. Once again, she began a very intricate dance over the short space she had on top of the building, all the while launching fireballs down at her opponent. Once she was done, she looked down to see that Stoutland was obviously hurt by the attack, though not as much as she had hoped - the rain must have weakened her blows. Still watching him, she noticed him once again close his eyes and focus, and then realized what was about to happen. Trying to run for cover, but finding nowhere to hide, the bolt again fell from the clouds and hit her straight on.

Round Three End!

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

508.gif
Stoutland (♂)
Health: 90%
Energy: 55%
Commands: Rain Dance ~ Thunder ~ Thunder

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

637.gif
Volcarona (♀)
Health: 29% (capped)
Energy: 77%
+1 Special Attack, -1 Speed
Commands: Fly (up) ~ Fiery Dance (missed) ~ Fiery Dance

Ref Notes:
  • That's three "dance" moves in one round. Guess you guys like to party, huh?
  • It is raining, and will be for the remainder of the match.
  • The rain is slowly filling up the fountain - it will be completely filled at the end of the next round.
  • Kratos Aurion commands first next round.

Last edited:
About how high is the rooftop Volcarona is on? Is she out of reach of everything but thunder at this point (or could, say, hyper beam potentially hit her)? Is she also out of earshot of Stoutland? I'm assuming it can't be too far if she's able to hit Stoutland with any reliability at all, but I'm curious.

And technically, shouldn't Volcarona be at 29% health? The damage cap is 35%, so she should have hit it rather than take that extra point of damage.

I'd say that Volcarona is about 35 or 40 feet up, on top of one of the smaller buildings as requested. The Thunder was reffed as coming from the clouds, so the higher up, the more accurate the attack is, but I assume that Hyper Beam and sound-attacks would be able to hit, albeit with reduced accuracy. Vision-based attacks, probably not.

The damage cap issue has been noted and addressed.

Hm... okay then! Thunder while it's raining, snarl if it's not raining but she can hear you, nothing to conserve energy if she protects or is too far out of range for snarl. If she tries to fly further away and use sunny day on the same action, assuming that will work (though I'm not sure what good getting even farther away is going to do in the long run while we're up on total health and energy), go ahead and use thunder on that action anyway. Hopefully you'll be able to get it in before it gets too sunny.

Thunder/Snarl/nothing ~ Thunder/Snarl/nothing ~ Thunder/Snarl/nothing

All right. I'm incredibly doubtful about my ability to win this, but we may as well try. Volcarona, let's try to start off with a combo—Leech Life and Fly. Basically, jump from the top of the building and come down with as much force as you can, with your mouth open ready to chomp on your opponent and suck out his health. Follow that with another Leech Life. Oh, and in your first attack, try to fling your opponent above you as a meat shield of sorts.

However, if you can't pull off that combo, then...hmm...Okay, let's just split it up as separate Fly and Leech Life.

Fly+Leech Life/Fly ~ Leech Life ~ Nothing/Leech Life

1 vs 1

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

508.gif
Stoutland (♂)
Health: 90%
Energy: 55%
Commands: Thunder / Snarl / Nothing ~ Thunder / Snarl / Nothing ~ Thunder / Snarl / Nothing

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

637.gif
Volcarona (♀)
Health: 29%
Energy: 77%
Commands: (Fly (down) + Leech Life) / (Fly (down) ~ Leech Life) ~ Nothing / Leech Life

Round Four Begin!

With the rain still pouring down, and Volcarona preparing an attack up on the rooftops, Stoutland saw this as a perfect opportunity to launch another attack. Focusing his energy on the clouds above, he managed to summon a static charge running through the sky, which he launched down upon Volcarona.

Volcarona, in response, decided to unleash a devastating attack against him. Spreading her wings, she flew off of the top of the building, floating forward for a second and then leaning downwards towards her opponent, spiraling downwards to the ground. At the last second, however, she swooped under her opponent, lifted him up into the sky, took a bite out of his chest and landed him down on the floor, feeling the energy from the bite flowing into her. However, she was only healed by a small amount, and when the next thunderbolt fell from the sky and crashed into her, it knocked her out stone cold. Seeing this, the referee recalled each of the Pokémon, handed them back to the Unova League representative at the front of the crowd, and gave each of the competitors their prizes for the match. Afterwards, the three of them went back into the spectator's area, waiting for the next match to start.

Round Four End!

Team Kratos Aurion
1imko5.jpg

508.gif
Stoutland (♂)
Health: 80%
Energy: 35%
Commands: Thunder ~ Thunder

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg

637.gif
Volcarona (♀)
Health: 0%
Energy: 70%
Commands: Fly (down) + Leech Life

Ref Notes:
  • Thunder was a critical hit on action one (not that it matters).
  • O.K., so that should be $10 to Kratos, $5 to Superbird and $15 to me. I really enjoyed reffing this battle, and I wish the best of luck to Kratos in this tournament, and to both of you in battles to come.

Last edited:
Gah, dang it. Of course I had to be matched with one of the best battlers in the freaking league...

Anyhow, it was fun while it lasted. Good game, Kratos.

Back
Top Bottom