• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pathos vs. Ampharos

The thing is, pokemon can hear the other pokemon's orders, so they don't really have to wait and see what their opponent is doing.

The thing is, pokemon can hear the other pokemon's orders, so they don't really have to wait and see what their opponent is doing.

That makes it sound like the previously quoted section of the rules is completely pointless. I based my commands off of what was written there, so I don't see it fair that the round shouldn't have gone as I planned because I based my commands off something written in the rules.

Whatever! I'll let it go. Although generally that only happens if the opponent also uses conditionals.

Indeed, a pokémon does not know its opponent's commands and therefore cannot act on them. It can only act on things the pokémon actually does, or is clearly about to do.

Urp, thought I posted already.

Well Anatina (new nickname), I'm just going to let you try and do as much damage as possible, while helping yourself as well. Use two Zen Headbutts to rack up as much damage as possible, then Refresh on the last turn to hopefully get a few points back. If she Protects on either of the first two actions or you can't hit her with Zen Headbutt for some reason, Refresh instead. If you can't hit her on the second action and you've already refreshed, Chill. If you've already refreshed by the third action, Zen Headbutt instead. And if you can't hit her for whatever reason with a Zen Headbutt when you're supposed to on that last action, Chill.

Zen Headbutt/Refresh ~ Zen Headbutt/Refresh/Chills ~ Refresh/Zen Headbutt/Chill

EDIT: Sort of Ninja'd

MY COMMANDS WERE LOST *headdesk* Arhg bloody forum.

Right. Confuse Ray, Giga Drain and then if she manages to refresh, Toxic, if she doesn't, Venoshock and if you can't tell Giga Drain again.

Confuse Ray ~ Giga Drain ~ Toxic / Venoshock / Giga Drain

3vs3 single
Style: Set
DQ: Standard week
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: OHKO's
Arena: Outside the Battle Arena

The battle takes place right outside the Battle Frontier's Battle Arena facility, out in the open air. The immediate area is covered in nicely manicured grass and a few flowers. The Arena building itself is surrounded on three sides by water and a small pond sits on the other side of the battlers, so water moves can be used and Water-types that need to swim can do so. The battlers cannot move away from the immediate area, so heading towards the plaza or another facility is forbidden. Maps of the general area can be found on this page.

Since this match is happening so close to the Arena, it seems such a shame not to follow Greta's rules... or, at least, a variation on them. As such, both battlers will send out their Pokémon and attack for three battle rounds (a total of 9 attacks per Pokémon) before the ref calls a halt. After the three rounds both Pokémon are recalled and unable to continue in the current battle, and their current health, energy and status are noted for later. Both trainers will then send out their next Pokémon and continue for the next three rounds. At the end (which should be nine total rounds), the health and energy of all Pokémon is totaled and whichever trainer has the highest score wins.

The following rules also apply:

-If a Pokémon has fainted, either due to HP loss OR energy loss, the battle stops right where it is (even if it has not yet been three rounds) and both Pokémon are recalled. Fainted Pokémon DO still count toward the final score, but as either their health or their energy is at 0% they won't add anywhere near as much.

-If, at the end of the three rounds, a battler is afflicted with a status condition, that condition detracts from their final score as follows:

Paralyzed, Burned, Confused: -10 points
Poisoned, Attracted: -15 points
Asleep, Frozen: -20 points
If the Pokémon has more than one status condition, only the first one they were afflicted with detracts full points; all others afterwards only detract five, no matter what they are.

As an example of how scoring works: Trainer A sends out a Treecko and Trainer B sends out a Turtwig. Treecko and Turtwig battle for three rounds; Treecko finishes with 64% HP and 72% energy and Turtwig finishes with 71% HP and 59% energy. Treecko has also been poisoned by Toxic. Both Pokémon stop battling and so their scores would look like this: Turtwig (71H + 59E = 130), Treecko (64H + 72E - 15 [poison] = 121). Therefore, Trainer B (Turtwig's trainer) would have the lead with 130 points over 121.

As far as TCoDASB battles are concerned, experience is determined like this: all Pokémon get the usual 1 experience point for being sent into battle, and if one Pokémon actually knocks another out it will get the 1 experience point as normal. If neither Pokémon faints at the end of three rounds, the one with the lower score (Treecko in the above example) is considered knocked out for the purposes of experience, so Turtwig would get the extra 1 exp.

Other: Only first stage/baby pokemon may be used (no non-evolving pokemon).

Round Five End!

Team Pathos (Points: 135)
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

tentacoolEdyta (F)
Ability: Clear body
Health: 69%
Energy: 60%
Item: Wise glasses.
Commands: Zen Headbutt/Refresh ~ Zen Headbutt/Refresh/Chills ~ Refresh/Zen Headbutt/Chill

Team Ampharos (Points: 134)
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

psyduckAnatina (F)
Ability: Cloud nine
Health: 41%
Energy: 62%
Status: ... Did I do it right? +1 Special attack, +1 special defense, toxic poisoned (2% this round, 3% next).
Item: None.
Commands: Confuse Ray ~ Giga Drain ~ Toxic / Venoshock / Giga Drain

Round Six Begin!

Edyta begins by lighting her tentacles up and waving them ominously around. Slowly the glow begins remove itself from the tentacool, and the confusing array of light started to dance in front of the little duck's face. Hovering, slinking around in all sorts of colors, prancing; the move worked, all right- Anatina is now staring in a muddled awe at the shiny.

Stumbling around in a sort of a trance, the platypus-thing follows the retreating lights back to their creator. The confuse ray flees, diving just under the surface of the water. Unlike a flame, the ethereal energy remains shining still; however its glow has been dimmed and is not nearly as impressive. Immediately Anatina turns at the jellyfish, shocked. How could you do this? She thinks. You- you scared the shiny away!

Focusing and becoming as zen-like as she can under the circumstances (that thing needs to pay for the shiny), the psyduck's head began to emanate a bright purple. Scowling, she rammed into Edyta. She hoped her opponent felt the hit, as they deserved it.

And the tenta-soon-to-be-cruel certainly did. She felt it, all right. Just like her confused enemy would feel her next attack... grinning maliciously, Pathos' representative began to glow green with warning. She had used this attack several times, and for good reason. It worked.

The emerald manifestation flew from Anatina to Edyta, the latter laughing as best as a pokemon like her could the whole time. At the same time, the former grew weaker and weaker. She felt like she was going to throw up, and she had such a horrible headache...

Where was the shiny? It would make her feel better, she knew it would. Searching frantically, the duck realized it was just under the surface of the water. Toddling over, she lit up her head with the energy she normally would've used for a zen headbutt to aid in her search. Playing underwater, the confuse ray seemed to invite Anatina to join in. Come on in, it said. The water is fine. You're a duck, aren't you? Swim!

That was what she did, diving under the surface and swimming up to the spectres confidently. Hi, how's it going? Anatina replied mentally. I came to play. Will you let me? It seemed like the shining spheres did, as they spun around and fled as if daring her to chase them. Once again the lemon yellow creature did, and as she gave chase her body glowed just as much as the confuse ray. It cleansed her of all the toxins in her body; feeling refreshed and rejuvenated she could enjoy the shiny even more!

Or she would have done that, if Edyta hadn't spat out a disgusting concoction of venomous toxins at her seconds later. Her feeling of joy dissipated, and she felt sick to her stomach. She glanced over at the offending jellyfish, who was as smug as ever. Quickly looking away, she tried not to puke. And just when I was feeling better, too...

Team Pathos (Points: 242)
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

tentacoolEdyta (F)
Ability: Clear body
Health: 63%
Energy: 44%
Item: Wise glasses.
Commands: Confuse ray~ Giga drain~ Toxic

Team Ampharos (Points: 189)
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

psyduckAnatina (F)
Ability: Cloud nine
Health: 27%
Energy: 43%
Status: I was feeling so much better, too... :( +1 Special attack, +1 special defense, toxic poisoned (1% this round, 2% next), confused (mild).
Commands: Zen headbutt~ Zen headbutt (failed)~ Refresh

Notes:

I'm sorry this is late. I didn't know whether Lucas was supposed to ref or not until a few days later, and then I had a block of not being able to write anything. I only got rid of it late at night, and then to not completely trash my sleep schedule I had to sleep.

Still using Kratos' scale, which you can find here. Feel free to point out errors!

Anatina confusion!failed on the second action. I RNGed between just messing up and hurting herself, and it landed on the attack just failing.

Anatina's poisoning reset to the lowest form of toxic severity because she refreshed.

If I'm not mistaken, Pathos sends out first. Then Ampharos sends out and commands and after that Pathos commands.

Calculations:

Confuse ray- hit= 0% damage, 5% energy and accuracy roll fifteen (needed 100 to miss).

Zen headbutt- hit= 12% damage, 8% energy and accuracy roll eighteen (needed ninety or above to miss). The confusion check was 32, needed 75 or above to activate. The critical hit roll was 45, needed six or under to activate.

Giga drain- hit= 13% damage, 6% energy and accuracy roll 95 (needed 100 to miss). It restored 6% health. Critical hit roll was 98 (needed six or under to activate).

Zen headbutt- fail= 0% damage, 8% energy and no accuracy roll or critical hit roll (did confusion check first, landed on attack messing up). The confusion check was 86, needed 75 or above to activate.

Refresh- worked= 0% damage, 3% energy and no accuracy roll (cannot miss). Confusion check was 24, needed 75 or above to activate.

Toxic- hit= 0% damage, 5% energy and 53 accuracy roll (needed 90 or above to miss).

Yeah, I suppose. I was doing it the same way as attack order originally (you went first last time, so I thought Pathos should go first this time), but looking at it now that would have you attacking first again! So!

What do you want to use (Chelsie is unselected now)?

I'm going to go with Caber (Izudarati before the name change).

I shouldn't have said anything and let Caber come out and destroy Chelsie fuuu-

Chelsie's taken down a rhyhorn before, I don't think Izudarati would be a problem. :p But, I'll go with Mal.

It seems our opponent's only ground move is dig, so magnet rise would be a waste. And since I don't have room for enough if-clauses, so after we set up a substitute for 15% of your health I'm gonna skip the status and just go for an assault tactic. Psychic when you can (he is hittable and not hiding behind protect/detect/otherthing that is not sub), Barrier if he protect/detects/hides behind otherthing that is not sub, Counter if he tries to hit you with dig. Use your psychics to toss uh, Caber, as far away from you as possible, preferably into the fountain.

Substitute (15%) ~ Psychic / Barrier / Counter x2

Well, Caber, time for super special awesome comeback time :D Or at least try your hardest, you're really only here so you evolve.

Start off with a Focus Punch to get rid of that Sub as soon as it hits the field. Next, just use two Drain Punches. Try and stay close to him. If he throws you away into the fountain or wherever, try not to waste an action having to get back, even if this means losing a bit more energy. If Focus Punch miraculously misses, use it until the Sub is down.

Focus Punch ~ Drain Punch/Focus Punch x2

3vs3 single

The battle takes place right outside the Battle Frontier's Battle Arena facility, out in the open air. The immediate area is covered in nicely manicured grass and a few flowers. The Arena building itself is surrounded on three sides by water and a small pond sits on the other side of the battlers, so water moves can be used and Water-types that need to swim can do so. The battlers cannot move away from the immediate area, so heading towards the plaza or another facility is forbidden. Maps of the general area can be found on this page.

Since this match is happening so close to the Arena, it seems such a shame not to follow Greta's rules... or, at least, a variation on them. As such, both battlers will send out their Pokémon and attack for three battle rounds (a total of 9 attacks per Pokémon) before the ref calls a halt. After the three rounds both Pokémon are recalled and unable to continue in the current battle, and their current health, energy and status are noted for later. Both trainers will then send out their next Pokémon and continue for the next three rounds. At the end (which should be nine total rounds), the health and energy of all Pokémon is totaled and whichever trainer has the highest score wins.

-If a Pokémon has fainted, either due to HP loss OR energy loss, the battle stops right where it is (even if it has not yet been three rounds) and both Pokémon are recalled. Fainted Pokémon DO still count toward the final score, but as either their health or their energy is at 0% they won't add anywhere near as much.

-If, at the end of the three rounds, a battler is afflicted with a status condition, that condition detracts from their final score as follows:

If the Pokémon has more than one status condition, only the first one they were afflicted with detracts full points; all others afterwards only detract five, no matter what they are.

As an example of how scoring works: Trainer A sends out a Treecko and Trainer B sends out a Turtwig. Treecko and Turtwig battle for three rounds; Treecko finishes with 64% HP and 72% energy and Turtwig finishes with 71% HP and 59% energy. Treecko has also been poisoned by Toxic. Both Pokémon stop battling and so their scores would look like this: Turtwig (71H + 59E = 130), Treecko (64H + 72E - 15 [poison] = 121). Therefore, Trainer B (Turtwig's trainer) would have the lead with 130 points over 121.

As far as TCoDASB battles are concerned, experience is determined like this: all Pokémon get the usual 1 experience point for being sent into battle, and if one Pokémon actually knocks another out it will get the 1 experience point as normal. If neither Pokémon faints at the end of three rounds, the one with the lower score (Treecko in the above example) is considered knocked out for the purposes of experience, so Turtwig would get the extra 1 exp.

Round Six End!

xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

ElekidMal (M)
Ability: Static
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Item: Electirizer.
Commands: Substitute (15%) ~ Psychic / Barrier / Counter x2

xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

TimburrCaber (M)
Ability: Sheer force
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Focus Punch ~ Drain Punch/Focus Punch x2

The nearly summoned elekid is the first to move by a long shot. He creates a small thunderbolt in his hands, but instead of flinging it at his opponent he makes it come to life. He imbues it with a bit of his health, making the creation flicker to life and become alive. Mal now had a protector, one who would take any and all damage directed to him. Nodding, the clone smiles and-

Gets punched into nonexistence by a glowing fist. Caber smirks mischievously; it was so awesome when focus punch worked! Laughing like the little kid he is, he started to gloat (man did you see that my focus punch was so awesome your substitute just disappeared). Until he noticed something; Mal was now glowing purple. That was even more hilarious! This was great, it was really great. His opponent was practically a clown! He certainly looked the part, because elekid sure had a ridiculous appearance!

Suddenly, an unknown force grabbed the timburr and threw him in the air. Caber was terrified; what was this and why couldn’t he get back to laughing at Mal? That was it: the clown did this! Jerk! It wasn’t funny and he would to tell him that to his face with a drain punch! Yeah! He deserved it, cheating with psychic powers and silly substitutes (he could easily smash them, but that wasn’t the point). He would beat him with brute force and courage and strength and ow he slammed him into a fountain.

Slowly getting up from the rubble, the timburr grabbed his log and got ready. It was time for revenge, things were serious and he was going to beat that electric type no matter what. Starting to run, Caber focused some fighting energy into his fist and collided into Mal, which sort of constituted a punch if you squint. It was more of a tackle, actually. Nevertheless, it both did damage and healed Caber a little, which was what he was going for. Revenge sort of completed, the tiny fighter crossed his arms and stuck out his tongue. That’ll teach him to cheat by using psychic powers, he thought.

It really didn’t. In fact, it only made him more eager to do it. I’ll teach him to punch people, Mal thought. This is a battle, but he killed my substitute! He was my friend and meat shield! Focusing mind energy, he concentrated on Caber and started to lift. It was difficult, but eventually the electric type hauled him up into the air and thrust the log-wielding timburr into the remains of the fountain. Unable to take the abuse of having a pokemon thrown into it twice, the structure crumbled and a stray piece of it fell on top of Caber’s head. He winced, but he wasn’t discouraged; that clown needed to pay even more now!

Getting up and starting to jog (a little tiredly), the small fighter managed to land a punch straight on with the elekid's face. And even though it healed him a bit, Caber was still tired. In fact, even moving sounded hard...

xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

ElekidMal (M)
Energy: 74%
Commands: Substitute (15%) ~ Psychic~ Psychic

xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

TimburrCaber (M)
Health: 84%
Energy: 78%
Status: Tired, and wishing Mal would stop using psychic. Unaware of his "advantage" in the battle. Paralyzed (mild; 12% chance of full paralysis and attacks using movement cost 1% more energy), -1 speed.
Commands: Focus punch ~ Drain punch~ Drain punch

Notes:

Drain punch's original energy was ridiculous, in my opinion (7%! One point away from being the damage it did!), so I didn't add any points for having to run.

The fountain is destroyed due to being slammed with Caber.

Writing this was a pain for no apparent reason. :/

Ampharos attacks first next round.

Calculations:

Substitute- worked= 15% damage (to Mal), 8% energy and no accuracy roll (cannot miss).

Focus punch- hit= 17% damage, 8% energy and 15 accuracy roll (needed 100 to miss). Critical hit roll was 60 (needed 6 or under to activate).

Psychic- hit= 12% damage, 9% energy and 70 accuracy roll (needed 100 to miss). Crit roll was 73 (needed 6 or under to activate).

Drain punch- hit= 8% damage, 7% energy and 18 accuracy roll (needed 100 to miss). It restored 4% health. Crit roll was 25 (needed 6 or under to activate). Static roll 54, needed 70 or above to activate.

Psychic- hit= 12% damage, 9% energy and 73 accuracy roll (needed 100 to miss). Crit roll was 58 (needed 6 or under to activate).

Drain punch- hit= 8% damage, 7% energy and 21 accuracy roll (needed 100 to miss). It restored 4% health. Crit roll was 61 (needed 6 or under to activate). Static roll 71, needed 70 or above to activate.

Huzzah for lazy commands. I don't really see how I'm going to salvage this one anyway. Drain Punch continuously. If he pops up another Substitute try and get rid of it with a few Hammer Arms. I would use Focus Punch, but if he makes it 20% he could stall us for a while. If you can't hit him for any other reason try a Bulk Up.

Drain Punch/Hammer Arm/Bulk Up x3

Counter the first two drain punches, then Toxic. If he's too paralyzed to move when you should be countering, Toxic then instead and Counter on the third action, unless he's already been poisoned, then Thunder Wave.

Counter / Toxic / Thunder Wave x3

3vs3 single

Round Seven End!

xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

ElekidMal (M)
Energy: 74%
Commands: Counter / Toxic / Thunder Wave x3

xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

TimburrCaber (M)
Health: 84%
Energy: 78%
Status: Tired, and wishing Mal would stop using psychic. Unaware of his "advantage" in the battle. Paralyzed (mild; 12% chance of full paralysis and attacks using movement cost 1% more energy), -1 speed.
Commands: Drain Punch/Hammer Arm/Bulk Up x3
Grunting, Caber readies his fist and prepares his attack. He's glad that he'll get a chance to punch that clown in the face; even if Ampharos hadn't ordered that he'd probably do it anyway. He's being far too smug, and needs to be taught a lesson. He made me tired and I can barely move!

He readied his fist and started to channel fighting energy. Except... he sort of couldn't. He didn't know why but nothing could move, even his energy. There was no real spark, and no white glow of power accompanied his efforts. He didn't think it would be worth it to punch him without all that special energy, so the dejected timburr grabbed his log and sat down.

Just because Caber was being inactive didn't mean Mal would be, however. Grinning, he spat a vile concoction of toxins on the stationary humanoid; the already depressed fighting type flinched but did nothing to stop the venom from seeping into his skin and bloodstream. He was beginning to become a little sick...

And that needed to be punished. The tyke could feel his muscles loosening enough to move, so he got up and delivered a halfhearted but still powerful punch at the electric type. The health that came back to him felt good, but he soon felt a static shock coursing through him and messing with his nerves. He felt even worse now!

Especially when Mal grabbed his fist as it was retreating and responded with a punching blow of his own. Pushed back and astonished, Caber gasped melodramatically and retaliated with yet another drain punch. NO U, he said with the drain punch. THAT WAS PATHETIC. YOU THINK YOU CAN HURT ME???

Apparently he did, because he once again countered his blow rather easily. It hurt, the timburr had to admit. Nursing his bruises, he frowned immaturely at the elekid when he felt the toxic take its toll. NO U hadn't really been the best responce after all, actually. The elekid could easily hit harder.

xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

ElekidMal (M)
Health: 53%
Energy: 52%
Commands: Toxic~ Counter~ Counter

xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg

TimburrCaber (M)
Health: 51%
Energy: 63%
Status: My strategy didn't work out very well... Paralyzed (moderate; 18% chance of full paralysis and attacks using movement cost 2% more energy), severely poisoned (1% this round, 2% next), -2 speed.
Commands: Drain punch~ Drain punch~ Drain punch

Notes:

Sorry about the wait. I had the notes sitting here for a long time, so if you see any calculation errors tell me.

One more round! Pathos attacks first.

Calculations:

Drain punch- failed= 0% damage, 0% energy and paralysis check 7 (needed 12 or under to activate).

Toxic- hit= 0% damage, 6% energy and 85 accuracy roll (needed 90 or above to miss).

Drain punch- hit= 8% damage, 7% energy, and 31 accuracy roll (needed 100 to miss). Paralysis check was 42, needed 12 or under to activate. Static roll was 72, needed 70 or above to activate.

Counter- hit= 16% damage, 8% energy and 91 accuracy roll (needed 100 to miss).

Drain punch- hit= 8% damage, 8% energy and 36 accuracy roll (needed 100 to miss). Paralysis check was 37, needed 18 or under to activate. The static roll was 16.

Counter- hit= 16% damage, 8% energy and 8 accuracy roll (needed 100 to miss).

Alright. Timburr have really limited movepools, in that they basically can't do anything non-physical... so counter anything physical. The only other moves it can hit you with are grass knot, round, hidden power and focus blast - so if he doesn't go for a physical attack, double team. If he sets up rain, go all out with thunder. If you have to attack for some reason (and cannot counter), just thunder away, and if you can't attack, chill when that is an option or double team.

On the second and third action, if he is underground, chill and counter when he pops up to hit you.

Double Team / Counter / Thunder ~ Counter / Thunder / Chill x2

OK, before I command, you have all these conditionals but none that specify "if something else happens, do this". I'm just wondering what attack Mal will use if I use a non-damaging attack. Will it use Thunder, or Chill?

First priority is to set up double team, unless there is rain, in which case move to thunder. After there are clones, thunder if there is rain and chill if there isn't, unless he has to attack, then thunder.

Back
Top Bottom