• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

bulbasaur vs. Byrus (ref: Squornshellous Beta)

Bulbasaur: I forgot the damage from confusion, and the healing from Giga Drain. Derp.

Byrus: Yes, but Lithium was told to wait until you attacked before attacking.

Snoooore while you're asleep, then chill when you wake up.

Snore/Chill x3

Last edited:
10v10 singles
Style: Set, except moves such as Baton Pass, Roar, Volt Switch, etc. are permitted.
DQ: 3 days (lest it last forever)
Damage Cap: 25% per action to a maximum of 33% per round
Banned: OHKO, Attract, direct healing. Chills permitted.
Arena: A flat grassy plain with a water source (a slowly flowing, but quite wide, stream) in the middle.

Team bulbasaur
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Slowpoke
Lithium (Male)
Ability: Oblivious
Health: 47%
Energy: 52%
Status: Owthiskindahurts. Attack +2; confused (moderate; 25% chance of confusionfail).
Commands: Dream Eater ~ Dream Eater ~ Chill

Team Byrus
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Grimer
Lobh (Female)
Ability: Sticky Hold
Health: 35%
Energy: 25%
Commands: Snore / Chill ~ Snore / Chill ~ Snore / Chill
Item: Black Sludge

Round 20 Begin!

With Lobh snoozing away, Lithium's free to attack without fear of retribution. He begins to tap into that hidden part of his mind, his eyes taking on a pink glow as he starts to manipulate his psychic energies; he casts his mind towards Lobh's, quickly breaking into it and entering her dream. He looks around with some interest, seeing her lying happily in a puddle of sludge with her family, and begins to absorb some of the energy from around him; he grins dopily as he feels the restorative effects. Lobh jerks sharply in her sleep, but doesn't wake; she suddenly snores very loudly, though, and Lithium winces as his head aches from the noise.

The next action repeats itself in almost exactly the same way: Lithium casts his mind out, enters Lithium's dream, steals away some of the energy within, and then leaves, just before Lobh snores loudly and makes Lithium's headache all the worse. He decides not to repeat the process again, instead opting to simply laze about for a while; Lobh gives another harsh grating sound, which he does his best to ignore - unsuccessfully, as it happens.

As the round draws to a close, a roar seems to sound deep within the fabric of the universe; time untwists itself, returning to its normal state and leaving Lithium as sluggish as usual. He looks quite sad at this; he was rather enjoying being fast for once in his life.

Round 20 End!

Team bulbasaur
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Slowpoke
Lithium (Male)
Health: 50%
Energy: 50%
Status: Awww. I liked fast. Attack +2; confused (mild; 15% chance of confusionfail).
Attacks Used: Dream Eater ~ Dream Eater ~ Chill

Team Byrus
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Grimer
Lobh (Female)
Health: 4%
Energy: 13%
Attacks Used: Snore ~ Snore ~ Snore

Damage / Energy Calculations
Dream Eater - 18% damage, restored 9% health (Lithium), 6% energy (accuracy roll 76, needed 100 to miss)
Snore - 5% damage, 4% energy (accuracy roll 55, needed 100 to miss)
Dream Eater - 18% damage, restored 9% health (Lithium), 6% energy (accuracy roll 46, needed 100 to miss)
Snore - 5% damage, 4% energy (accuracy roll 7, needed 100 to miss)
Chill - restored 10% energy (Lithium)
Snore - 5% damage, 4% energy (accuracy roll 25, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- Sorry for short round. Repetitive attacks + mild writer's block.
- Current EXP count for my later convenience: Chlorine 1, Aurum 1, Lithium 1, Lobh 3, Ruaig 2, Glucinum 2, Shardik 2, Bismuth 2.

Arena Notes
- There are a couple of pits in the ground, and some slugey purple mud scattered around the place. There's also a large pile of salty mud sitting near the other mud.
- There's a massive crater in the ground, connected to the river and having filled up to make a little pond.
- Just in front of Lithium, there's a little puddle of mud.

Next Round
- bulbasaur attacks
- Byrus attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
Uhh, Lobh should have started the round with 15% less health due to the Future Sight... right?

10v10 singles
Style: Set, except moves such as Baton Pass, Roar, Volt Switch, etc. are permitted.
Arena: A flat grassy plain with a water source (a slowly flowing, but quite wide, stream) in the middle.
Team bulbasaur
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Slowpoke
Lithium (Male)
Health: 50%
Energy: 50%
Status: Awww. I liked fast. Attack +2; confused (mild; 15% chance of confusionfail).
Commands: Dream Eater ~ Confusion ~ Chill

Team Byrus
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Grimer
Lobh (Female)
Energy: 13%
Commands: Snore ~ Snore ~ Snore

Round 21 Begin!

Lobh, still asleep, shifts slightly as the round begins. Suddenly, she lets out another harsh, grating snore. It rings in Lithium's ears just like the others, worsening his ever-present headache; he shuffles back slightly, grimacing. Still, he thinks, if I can just get in one attack, that should be all I need... His eyes take on a pale pink glow as he once again taps into his mental energy, his consciousness spreading across the arena like a wave. He engulfs Lobh's mind and, despite her feeble attempts to resist, tears away the last of her energy; her gelatinous form suddenly loses cohesion, what little structure could be seen in the sleeping creature vanishing as she collapses into a purple puddle. Silently, Byrus recalls her, plucking another Pokéball from his belt to replace her.

Round 21 End!

Team bulbasaur
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Slowpoke
Lithium (Male)
Health: 45%
Energy: 49%
Status: Hurrah! Attack +2; confused (mild; 15% chance of confusionfail).
Attacks Used: Dream Eater

Team Byrus
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Grimer
Lobh (Female)
Energy: 0%
Attacks Used: Snore

Snore - 5% damage, 4% energy (accuracy roll 23, needed 100 to miss)
Dream Eater - 18% energy (Lobh), 1% energy (accuracy roll 76, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- Current EXP count for my later convenience: Chlorine 1, Aurum 1, Lithium 2, Lobh 3, Ruaig 2, Glucinum 2, Shardik 2, Bismuth 2.

Arena Notes
- There are a couple of pits in the ground, and some slugey purple mud scattered around the place. There's also a large pile of salty mud sitting near the other mud.
- There's a massive crater in the ground, connected to the river and having filled up to make a little pond.

Next Round
- Byrus sends out and attacks
- bulbasaur attacks
- I ref

Nice job Lobh.

Geier, lets go. Snarl once, then dark pulse twice. Use taunt if he uses trick room, Telekinesis or a status move on you (such as yawn or thunder wave). Also resort to taunt if he tries to wait for you to attack first. Use nasty plot if he protects or bides.

Snarl/Nasty plot/Taunt ~ Dark pulse/Nasty plot/Taunt ~ Dark pulse/nasty plot/taunt

A question: How does Geier know if I'm about to use a move? I mean, I could understand that for some moves, but Yawn? I'm pretty sure that's instant. Also, wouldn't these sort of conditionals make the receiver wait for the opponent (and therefore move last)?

I'm just confused

How I interpret it: the Pokémon waits to see what its foe will do, then disrupts the move by taunting (if they're faster).

That much I know, but is there any cue for Geier to pick up? I mean, Yawn lasts for just a couple of seconds. Is it possible for all of the following to happen within a few seconds?

• Perceive that Slowpoke is indeed opening its mouth to yawn, and not some other similar attack
  • Get the gist of the Taunt across
  • Have the opponent be angry enough to just attack it

I mean, by the time that Geier notes that Slowpoke is unmistakably Yawning, I think it may already be too late. I don't know, though.

Alright, then. Light Screen, then Zap cannon until it hits, then Yawn, or if you can't, Ice Punch. Ice Punch if you can't do any of the preceding.

Light Screen/Ice Punch~Zap Cannon/Ice Punch~Zap Cannon/Yawn/Ice Punch

Last edited:
10v10 singles

Team bulbasaur
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Slowpoke
Lithium (Male)
Health: 45%
Energy: 49%
Status: Hurrah! Attack +2; confused (mild; 15% chance of confusionfail).
Commands: Light Screen / Ice Punch ~ Zap Cannon / Ice Punch ~ Zap Cannon / Yawn / Ice Punch

Team Byrus
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Vullaby
Geier (Female)
Ability: Overcoat
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Snarl / Nasty Plot / Taunt ~ Dark Pulse / Nasty Plot / Taunt ~ Dark Pulse / Nasty Plot / Taunt
Item: Blackglasses

Round 22 Begin!

The next Pokémon onto the field is a small buzzard, wearing what appears to be a human skull on its lower body. It flaps its stubby wings and screeches as intimidatingly as it can, leaving Lithium to be completely unfazed.

The Vullaby suddenly leaps forward and lets out a harsh, piercing keen, a horrible energy lacing her cry. Lithium reels as the sound assaults his mind, his head aching horribly as the dark force worms its way in. As it takes root, Lithium finds himself being cautious; he suddenly finds himself thinking that maybe it would be best to soften his blows just a bit. Fortunately, though, his next command doesn't even require him to attack her at all; he concentrates, once more accessing the psychic energy in his mind, and his eyes take on a shimmering pink glow while, around him, a green, translucent barrier shimmers into being.

Geier opens her beak again, and with another loud keen she suddenly fires a beam of horrible, dark rings of energy at Lithium. It seems to tear space around it as it heads straight for him, and collides with his shield; for a few seconds it's stopped entirely, but then it breaks through; fully half of the attack enters and strikes Lithium directly in the face, causing him to reel back significantly. He shakes his head, clearing away the fog the attack left over his mind. He raises his head and looks at the closing hole in the shield, opening his mouth to attack. Channeling his energy in a form that normally he wouldn't want to have anything to do with. A golden, crackling orb forms, making his skin tingle; he launches it forward and it hurtles straight through the shield unhindered, flying erratically through the air towards Geier. A last-minute jag, though, and it misses entirely, instead flying off into the distance; Lithium looks at it with some dismay.

Geier again fires off a beam of dark rings, quickly piercing his shield and striking him again, causing him to once more wince and retreat from the strike. Opening his mouth wide, he charges up another sparking orb, launching it at Geier and hoping it'll hit; his prayers are answered when it zigzags right into her side, a massive jolt of electricity pumping through her body and causing her muscles to lock up, and she falls forward with a thud.

Round 22 End!

Team bulbasaur
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Slowpoke
Lithium (Male)
Health: 13%
Energy: 28%
Status: It worked, yay! Special attack -1; confused (mild; 15% chance of confusionfail); Light Screen in effect (three more rounds).
Attacks Used: Light Screen ~ Zap Cannon ~ Zap Cannon

Team Byrus
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
xpqo.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Vullaby
Geier (Female)
Ability: Overcoat
Health: 80%
Energy: 83%
Status: Zarfzgrh! Paralyzed (severe; 25% chance of full paralysis).
Attacks Used: Snarl ~ Dark Pulse ~ Dark Pulse
Item: Blackglasses

Snarl - 12% damage, 5% energy (accuracy roll 64, needed 100 to miss)
Light Screen - 3% energy, 1% per action
Dark Pulse - 10% damage, 6% energy (accuracy roll 25, needed 100 to miss)
Zap Cannon - 8% energy (accuracy roll 72, needed 50 or over to miss - missed)
Dark Pulse - 10% damage, 6% energy (accuracy roll 68, needed 100 to miss)
Zap Cannon - 20% damage, 8% energy (accuracy roll 15, needed 50 or over to miss - missed)

Notes
- Current EXP count for my later convenience: Chlorine 1, Aurum 1, Lithium 2, Lobh 3, Ruaig 2, Glucinum 2, Shardik 2, Bismuth 2, Geier 1.

Arena Notes

Next Round
- bulbasaur attacks
- Byrus attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
I'm only noticing this now for some reason, but Lithium should have lost his attack boost from haze here.

Also, how do you treat speed drops caused by paralysis?

Back
Top Bottom