• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
in place of the challenge rk just dropped.

1v1 single
dq: 1 week
damage cap: 33%
banned: none; ohko moves are subject to damage cap.
arena: On an gravity-defying platform, irresponsibly hovering over a densely-populated area

If the platform is destroyed, everyone falls for one full round (as the completion of sky drop performed by a flying-type final stage pokémon). Anything thrown over the edge of the platform is likely to fall on someone, resulting in people yelling at the battlers, possibly throwing things or attacking, which deal 4% damage of a random type and have a random chance of a random effect (choose a random damaging move; use its effect) to a random participant each time something is thrown over the edge.

Arena damage is encouraged, of course.

in place of the challenge rk just dropped.

1v1 single
dq: 1 week
damage cap: 33%
banned: none; ohko moves are subject to damage cap.
arena: On an gravity-defying platform, irresponsibly hovering over a densely-populated area

If the platform is destroyed, everyone falls for one full round (as the completion of sky drop performed by a flying-type final stage pokémon). Anything thrown over the edge of the platform is likely to fall on someone, resulting in people yelling at the battlers, possibly throwing things or attacking, which deal 4% damage of a random type and have a random chance of a random effect (choose a random damaging move; use its effect) to a random participant each time something is thrown over the edge.

Arena damage is encouraged, of course.

taking por favor

... I'm not sure how I came up with this.

2vs2 single
DQ: 4 days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, suicide moves (including Perish Song)
Arena: The Forbidden Forest

Full of dangerous creatures? Pfft! Like that's ever stopped anyone from going in!

Two silly battlers have snuck out to this shady wood for (what else?) a Pokemon battle. So far none of the professors have noticed their absence ... but you'd better believe the monsters within the forest have figured out that there are intruders near. At the end of every round, each Pokemon will be confronted by one of the following creatures:

Bowtruckle - deals 3% typeless damage, and has no side affects aside from being generally annoying. (35% chance)
Werewolf - deals 7% dark-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 attack from the wildness instilled in it. (10% chance)
Troll - deals 7% rock-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 defense upon figuring out how to better brace themselves against oncoming blows. (10% chance)
Thestral - deals 7% ghost-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 special attack from the sheer inspiring awe the creature instills in it. (10% chance)
Acromantula - deals 7% bug-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 special defense due to becoming more aware of such things sneaking up on it. (10% chance)
Blast-Ended Skrewt - deals 7% fire-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 speed since those flames are hot enough to make it lightfooted. (10% chance)
Centaur - deals 7% fighting-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 accuracy as they take note of how they can weave in and out of the trees so easily. (5% chance)
Hippogriff - deals 7% flying-type damage, but the affected Pokemon will gain +1 evasion, since some of those feathers have stuck to it and may deflect attacks. (5% chance)
Unicorn - restores 10% health, but saps 10% energy due to the unfortunate side effects of consuming its blood. (5% chance)

Damage dealt by these beasts is unaffected by the damage cap. The boosts from these encounters stack, e.g. it's perfectly possible for a Pokemon to eventually have +6 attack due to werewolf bites. Naturally it's impossible to go over +6, though.

As to the forest itself: the canopy is very thick, making weather moves an unlikely tactic unless the leaves up there (or is it pine needles?) get torn up in some way. There are huge knobbly roots protruding from the ground, and there is a 5% chance that a Pokemon will trip and hurt itself instead of attack. There's a stream nearby which water-types can take advantage of, though it's small enough that jumping right into it is out of the question for anything larger than, say, a Magikarp.

If by the end of 11 rounds the battle isn't over, Hagrid and Fang will show up to drag the hapless young trainers back to school, effectively ending the battle. It's not as if they can let this foolishness go unpunished, after all. (If the trainers have the same number of Pokemon left, the winner can be decided by adding together the current Pokemon's health and energy and finding whichever total is greatest. Doesn't make the inevitable detentions any better, though.)

Other: No fully-evolved Pokemon allowed.

I'll take this, but I have a question of my own: do I count as an advanced or a novice referee after being gone so long? As I recall, I made advanced right before I went away.
Sorry, missed this earlier. You're still Advanced.

2vs2 single
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: none
Banned Moves: Everything except Assist and Metronome.
Arena: Basic Stage

The Basic Stage is simply that; a plain expanse of mottled white tiled floor. A large pond of water waits on the side, for Water types to use and stay in. Above is the sky, where for now, the sun hovers far above. There are no special effects, and the field is completely flat, the tiling reaching about a hundred feet square. The tiling isn’t very strong, and can easily be broken for access to dirt for moves such as Dig and Mud Slap.

Other: For this battle, Assist extends to Pokemon in the Trainer's PC.

stage thief'd from blazhy's and my business. come at me bro >:V!

2vs2 single
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: none
Banned Moves: Everything except Assist and Metronome.
Arena: Basic Stage

The Basic Stage is simply that; a plain expanse of mottled white tiled floor. A large pond of water waits on the side, for Water types to use and stay in. Above is the sky, where for now, the sun hovers far above. There are no special effects, and the field is completely flat, the tiling reaching about a hundred feet square. The tiling isn’t very strong, and can easily be broken for access to dirt for moves such as Dig and Mud Slap.

Other: For this battle, Assist extends to Pokemon in the Trainer's PC.

stage thief'd from blazhy's and my business. come at me bro >:V!

Takies.

Well, as The Omskivar totally ditched my challenge, this battle, with a few of the most minor of changes, is open again.

3 vs. 3 Single
Set Style
1 week DQ Time
45% Damage Cap
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing moves, Weather Moves, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena: The Lost Desert

The Lost Desert is exactly as it says. Lost. No-one knows exactly where it is, what its name is, or how large it is. The trainers and the referee came upon the spot while expecting to end up in some vacation spot. Being so far from civilization that a rescue vehicle would take forever to get there, the trainers have decided to have a battle to pass the time.

The desert itself isn't very spectacular. It is simply dune after dune after dune of endless sand, stretching off towards the horizon. Of course, Pokemon are limited to one area that is about 10 metres by 10 metres for the fight. Just off to the right of the center of the area is a small oasis. A lone palm tree stands on a grassy knoll surrounded by a ring of water large enough to allow most water-types to move around freely.

Because the battlers are fighting in an extremely hot desert, all but the following Pokemon will use 1.5x more energy than they normally would: Sandshrew, Cacnea, Trapinch, Vibrava, Baltoy, Hippopotas, Skorupi, Sandile, Darumaka, Scraggy, and Dwebble. The arena also starts under the effects of Sunny Day, However, at the end of every round there is a 25% chance that the weather will change between being sunny and being in a sandstorm.

At the beginning of every round one of the following Pokemon will show up at the spot, remaining until the end of the round. Realizing that a battle is in progress, the Pokemon will only act if hit by an attack (this could be an attack that misses or an attack that hits all opponents). The Pokemon that can appear are as follows:

25% chance: Sandshrew, which will use Slash
25% chance: Sandile, which will use Crunch
15% chance: Hippopotas, which will use Sand Tomb
15% chance: Maractus, which will use Petal Dance
10% chance: Vibrava, which will use Dragonbreath
5% chance: Sigilyph, which will use Air Slash or Psybeam (50% chance for each)
5% chance: Darmanitan, which will use Flare Blitz or Hammer Arm (50% chance for each)

Additional Rules: Fully Evolved Pokemon are banned

Last edited:
For I liek Squirtles.

1vs1*single
DQ: none for me, 7 days for ILS
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: OHKOs
Arena: In A Clay Town

The battlers have been shrunken down to only be half an inch tall to fit into a child's clay town model, a bit more than a foot away from a switched on computer. With inch thick ground, a small child watching, and several poorly constructed buildings liable to fall at any moment or impact, Earthquake will wreak havoc on the battlefield, which possibly could be used in someone advantage. Throwing moves (Seismic Toss, Vital Throw, etc.) have a ten percent chance of being aimed at a flimsy building or tree or heck, the sky. Whatever is hit will deal the thrown Pokemon an extra 3% damage, and then a 5% chance that the creator will walk in and yell at the small child, suspecting that she has done the damage. The yells then have the ability to send the Pokemon banging into each other, dealing 2% damage.

Well, as The Omskivar totally ditched my challenge, this battle, with a few of the most minor of changes, is open again.

3 vs. 3 Single
Set Style
1 week DQ Time
45% Damage Cap
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing moves, Weather Moves, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena: The Lost Desert

The Lost Desert is exactly as it says. Lost. No-one knows exactly where it is, what its name is, or how large it is. The trainers and the referee came upon the spot while expecting to end up in some vacation spot. Being so far from civilization that a rescue vehicle would take forever to get there, the trainers have decided to have a battle to pass the time.

The desert itself isn't very spectacular. It is simply dune after dune after dune of endless sand, stretching off towards the horizon. Of course, Pokemon are limited to one area that is about 10 metres by 10 metres for the fight. Just off to the right of the center of the area is a small oasis. A lone palm tree stands on a grassy knoll surrounded by a ring of water large enough to allow most water-types to move around freely.

Because the battlers are fighting in an extremely hot desert, all but the following Pokemon will use 1.5x more energy than they normally would: Sandshrew, Cacnea, Trapinch, Vibrava, Baltoy, Hippopotas, Skorupi, Sandile, Darumaka, Scraggy, and Dwebble. The arena also starts under the effects of Sunny Day, However, at the end of every round there is a 25% chance that the weather will change between being sunny and being in a sandstorm.

At the beginning of every round one of the following Pokemon will show up at the spot, remaining until the end of the round. Realizing that a battle is in progress, the Pokemon will only act if hit by an attack (this could be an attack that misses or an attack that hits all opponents). The Pokemon that can appear are as follows:

25% chance: Sandshrew, which will use Slash
25% chance: Sandile, which will use Crunch
15% chance: Hippopotas, which will use Sand Tomb
15% chance: Maractus, which will use Petal Dance
10% chance: Vibrava, which will use Dragonbreath
5% chance: Sigilyph, which will use Air Slash or Psybeam (50% chance for each)
5% chance: Darmanitan, which will use Flare Blitz or Hammer Arm (50% chance for each)

Additional Rules: Fully Evolved Pokemon are banned

I will jump on this since I have a magically open spot.

or I liek Squirtles.

Quote:
1vs1*single
DQ: none for me, 7 days for ILS
Damage Cap: 40%
Arena: In A Clay Town

The battlers have been shrunken down to only be half an inch tall to fit into a child's clay town model, a bit more than a foot away from a switched on computer. With inch thick ground, a small child watching, and several poorly constructed buildings liable to fall at any moment or impact, Earthquake will wreak havoc on the battlefield, which possibly could be used in someone advantage. Throwing moves (Seismic Toss, Vital Throw, etc.) have a ten percent chance of being aimed at a flimsy building or tree or heck, the sky. Whatever is hit will deal the thrown Pokemon an extra 3% damage, and then a 5% chance that the creator will walk in and yell at the small child, suspecting that she has done the damage. The yells then have the ability to send the Pokemon banging into each other, dealing 2% damage.

Accept.

For Chief Zackrai, but the remaining two spots are open.

1&1&1 vs 1, Gimmick
Style: Set
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: Any move that will cause direct fainting (OHKOs, Explosion, Destiny Bond, etc), direct healing. Chills are restricted to 5 per Pokémon, offensive moves that target all other Pokémon or all Pokémon are restricted to 2 per Pokémon.
Arena: Mafia Terminal

As done in this battle, only the trainer who isn't allied to the others knows who he is (they are informed by PM). As such, the remainder of the trainers don't know who their true enemy is supposed to be. Additionally, once per round, one of these role powers, randomly chosen, in a randomly chosen action, will utilize their effects:
- Vigilante: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted and struck by Aura Sphere (with STAB, and the user is considered fully evolved). Immunities are ignored.
- Cop: All evasion boosts and accuracy drops are negated.
- Insane Cop: All Pokémon gain 1+ Evasion and 1- Accuracy.
- Doctor: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted and struck by Heal Pulse. The amount of health that move would heal is halved. Immunities are ignored, and the move cannot miss.
- Insane Doctor: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted and struck by Present. The chances of it causing damage or healing are changed to 50%. No more than 35% health may be lost or healed through this move. Immunities are ignored, and the move cannot miss.
- Roleblocker: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted and made to flinch during that action.
- Miller: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted and loses 2- Accuracy.
- Bus Driver: Two Pokémon on the field are randomly chosen and targeted. Any moves that would target one of these Pokémon during that action will target the other one instead, even if that causes a Pokémon to hit itself. A Pokémon that hits itself because of this effect may activate abilties such as Flash Fire in response to it.
- Tracker: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted. If that Pokémon targets another Pokémon with a move during that action, the Pokémon targeted by that move will be struck by Pursuit (with STAB, and the user is considered fully evolved). Immunities are ignored. The move cannot miss.
- Paranoid Gun Owner: All Pokémon that use an offensive move during the action this role appears will be dealt 7% Steel-type damage before attacking. Immunities are ignored.
- Arsonist: All Pokémon on the field are inflicted with a burn.
- Fireman: All Pokémon on the field are cured of poisoning and burns.
- Summoner: This role can only be rolled after one of the Pokémon have already fainted. A randomly chosen move from that Pokémon's moveset is used. The user is treated as being the fainted Pokémon, and the move cannot miss.
- Doublevoter: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted and, if possible, uses the move it was going to use during that action two times within the same action. If the second usage would cause 10% damage or more, the damage it causes is halved.
- Jack-of-all-trades: Metronome is used. The move rolled thereby will ignore immunities and won't miss.
- Voodoo Lady: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted and struck with Disable. The move cannot miss and will bypass Substitute and other such impediments. The single unallied player cannot be targeted by this effect.
- Terrorist: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted and struck by Selfdestruct (without STAB, and the user is considered fully evolved). Immunities are ignored. The move cannot miss. The move is considered to target a single battler rather than multiple. The final damage this move would cause is multiplied by three-quarters before being applied.
- Serial Killer: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted and struck by Night Slash (with STAB, and the user is considered fully evolved). Immunities are ignored. The move cannot miss.
- Lover: A randomly chosen Pokémon is targeted and a species of Pokémon is randomly chosen. For the next six actions, a Pokémon of that species, opposite in gender to the targeted Pokémon, appears and causes that targeted Pokémon to be severely attracted to them. That Pokémon has 25% health and can be targeted and hit by the attacks of any battlers. If that Pokémon's health depletes to 0% before six rounds are up, the attracted Pokémon suffers 50% damage, without ignoring the damage cap and always leaving the Pokémon at 1% if it would faint. When six rounds are up, the attraction fades and the Pokémon leaves. If the targeted Pokémon faints, the Pokémon it was attracted to utilizes the attack with the highest base power (STAB accounted for) in their moveset against whoever landed the finishing blow, and then receives 25% damage.
- Alien: An Elgyem with 15% of health enters the battlefield and can be targeted and hit by any moves from the battlers. If the Elgyem's health is depleted to 0%, the battle immediately ends in a draw. If the Elgyem survives for six actions, it leaves.
If one of the roles are rolled, they cannot be rolled again unless no other roles can be rolled.

How stupid am I again (I never even read the roles until now)

Thread will be up in a second.

I'm back after a slight hiatus! But I'm not really in the mood for any fancy stuff. It's got a tiny gimmick to it, but overall, I'd like to keep it simple:

2vs2 Single
Style: Set
DQ: One week.
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct recovery moves, four chills the whole battle, for each side.
Arena: Rainbow Fields

It's a grassy, beautiful field of rainbow flowers with a few clouds here and there. It is a lovely scenic sort of place with a bright shining sun. Thus, it's always on Sunny Day unless the weather is otherwise changed by a weather-altering move.

Something otherwise unique about this arena is the clouds. The clouds are low-dipping, and are imbued with the special magic of the Rainbowpeoples, a tribe of Flying-type/Air-elemental mystics that live near the Rainbow Fields. Their village is a few miles away. Thus, Pokémon may jump onto the clouds and fly around on them. Jumping onto a cloud takes one action, which must be dictated with the word "Jump," obviously. Whilst on a cloud, a Pokémon gains +1 Speed and +1 Evasion, but the cloud can only be used for two actions, and then it dissipates (and the stat boosts wear off with it.) Being on a cloud takes away 3% energy for every action a Pokémon is on it due to the mental effort of navigating the cloud in the proper direction. If one wishes to abandon the cloud early, the trainer may simply command their Pokémon to jump off the cloud, which also takes one action. If a Flying-type chooses to use a cloud, they will suffer only a 2% deduction in their energy due to their experience in the skies.

However, the Rainbowpeoples' generosity will not last long. If trainer uses more than three clouds in the entire battle, their greed will incite the tribe's anger, and they will use their magics to summon a massive gust of wind at the offender. The gust will blow their Pokémon away a very far distance. Due to the journey it will take to get back to the battle, they will lose one action trying to do so. (So, if the trainer commanded, say "Jump", the Pokémon would jump on the cloud as normal. The next action afterwards, however, the Rainbowpeople would appear and blow them away, making them technically lose TWO actions. One wasted on jumping and another by the Rainbowpeople.)

Last edited:
For Mystic[Moon].

1vs1 single
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: 30%
Arena: On the Moon

Yes. The trainers and referee have gotten ASBNASA to supervise and transport them to the Moon, which is stocked with all the puréed food and water that they'll need. Because of the thin atmosphere, all Pokemon and people must wear spacehelmets (and consequently all sound like a huffing Darth Vader.) Attacks that are dependent on weather or wind are unusable, as the Moon obviously hasn't got the atmosphere for it. Electric type attacks, howver, are usable due to the electricity from the space shuttle the crew arrived in. Each round there is a five percent chance that a small meteorite will arrive and bump a Pokemon (rng controls who it hits) and whack 3% damage out of the Pokemon.

I think I'm full on battles now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom