• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not exactly going to be a very exciting match. Why don't you try something like this if you want to evolve your Magikarp?

1. relicanth resists all allowed attacks, and learns bounce, the most reliably powerful of them, and wins slowly, but trivially.
2. chinchou, lanturn, stunfisk, resist bounce, and are likely to win due to retaining maximum reliable damage. stunfisk has static, too, but is negligibly weak to bubble.
3. carvanha, sharpedo have rough skin, allowing it a bit of extra damage since all except bubble (which they resist) are contact.
4. mantyke, mantine, gyarados have STAB on bounce. of note, gyarados also has intimidate.
5. seadra, qwilfish have poison point, also a source of extra damage.

3v3 Single
DQ: 1 Week
Damage Cap: 31 %
Banned Moves: OHKO, Direct Healing, Two Chills Each
Arena: Route 202 Clearing

A spacious clearing in the midst of every trainers first route, the landscape has been scarred from frequent first battles, where trainers have come to learn to properly use their first and closest pokemon. There is little grass in the center, and several small ponds dot the landscape. There is a mystical field that seems to surround the area preventing evolved pokemon from participating in battles here.

Other: NFE allowed only

Taking this as well.

Okay, we've got another potential referee here who needs a battle. That means I need one experienced referee and one person to battle them, and Totodile will take it from there.

As usual, someone who hasn't gotten a chance to battle yet is preferred as the opponent, but if nobody fitting that description doesn't show up within a couple days, it's fair game for anybody.

2vs2 Single
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for either participant.

I'll take this if it's still open. Only been in one other match and it was DQ'd

1. relicanth resists all allowed attacks, and learns bounce, the most reliably powerful of them, and wins slowly, but trivially.
2. chinchou, lanturn, stunfisk, resist bounce, and are likely to win due to retaining maximum reliable damage. stunfisk has static, too, but is negligibly weak to bubble.
3. carvanha, sharpedo have rough skin, allowing it a bit of extra damage since all except bubble (which they resist) are contact.
4. mantyke, mantine, gyarados have STAB on bounce. of note, gyarados also has intimidate.
5. seadra, qwilfish have poison point, also a source of extra damage.
Point is, a match with such limited moves isn't really worth the bother.

that the whole battle is pretty much decided, bar horrible eandom chances, is boring, to be sure, and most probably decidedly not the point, but still strategically interesting!

Just curious. Why is it everytime I accept a battle or someone accepts mine no ref takes it...?

From the first post: "Please do not post in this thread to complain about how long it has taken for a referee to pick up your match. This is not likely to make anyone want to take it, and may in fact make them avoid it."

A ref will take it if they have time and find it interesting. Just be patient.

2vs2 double
Style: Set
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: OHKO's; (permanent) area-illuminating moves such as Flash; moves that disturb the foundation of the building such as Uproar, Earthquake, Dig, Surf, and Avalanche
Arena: Brennenburg Castle

"[Brennenburg Castle] is located deep in the woods of eastern Prussia (most likely in today's northeastern Poland or Königsberg), near the town of Altstadt. For the locals it was a place to fear, as people sometimes disappeared, presumably kidnapped and taken to Brennenburg Castle for unknown purposes.(Amnesia wikia)"

The battle itself will take place in the castle's Choir, a large room connected to three separate torture chambers(which will be inaccessible during the battle, due to a mass cave-in). It is foggy and dark, lit with minimal torches that can flicker out if powerful flying-type attacks are used during battle. There are poisonous mushrooms lurking in the corners of the arena, and if accidentally consumed or rubbed into wounds, will poison whomever was unlucky enough to come into contact with them. Fallen pillars and a broken bridge can trip up and turn around Pokemon mid-battle, if they aren't too careful.

Though the Choir is dark, visibility can be improved through light-producing attacks, though temporarily. Because the foundation of Brennenburg is highly unstable, arena-altering moves such as Earthquake, Uproar, Dig, Surf, and Avalanche are not to be used, lest the building collapse on the competitors.

Other: Only first/second-stage evolutionary Pokemon, bitte!

2vs2 double
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: OHKO's; (permanent) area-illuminating moves such as Flash; moves that disturb the foundation of the building such as Uproar, Earthquake, Dig, Surf, and Avalanche
Arena: Brennenburg Castle

"[Brennenburg Castle] is located deep in the woods of eastern Prussia (most likely in today's northeastern Poland or Königsberg), near the town of Altstadt. For the locals it was a place to fear, as people sometimes disappeared, presumably kidnapped and taken to Brennenburg Castle for unknown purposes.(Amnesia wikia)"

The battle itself will take place in the castle's Choir, a large room connected to three separate torture chambers(which will be inaccessible during the battle, due to a mass cave-in). It is foggy and dark, lit with minimal torches that can flicker out if powerful flying-type attacks are used during battle. There are poisonous mushrooms lurking in the corners of the arena, and if accidentally consumed or rubbed into wounds, will poison whomever was unlucky enough to come into contact with them. Fallen pillars and a broken bridge can trip up and turn around Pokemon mid-battle, if they aren't too careful.

Though the Choir is dark, visibility can be improved through light-producing attacks, though temporarily. Because the foundation of Brennenburg is highly unstable, arena-altering moves such as Earthquake, Uproar, Dig, Surf, and Avalanche are not to be used, lest the building collapse on the competitors.

Other: Only first/second-stage evolutionary Pokemon, bitte!
I'll take you on!

If I have a free slot...I think I do...

Hello. I just joined this ASB and want an awesome first battle. Here be my challenge

Type: 2 vs 2 Single Battle
DQ Time: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: 1-hit KOs, non-lethal status moves (poison and burn is okay),

Arena: Gastona City (Post-Apocalypse)

With the use of the Chrono-beam, the challengers and the ref shall be blasted into the barren wasteland that was once Gastona City. No other humans or animals are alive. They were all destroyed by the Machines who continue patrolling the street in search of survivors.

The arena is vast, so it is capable of sustaining the large Pokemon all the way to the small. The soil is also perfect for digging. However, you can't make too much noice in case a Machine comes by and blasts the Pokemon unconscious with a Plasmic Beam.

Other Details: I want a good challenge.

2vs2 Single
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: One hit kills, 2 healing moves, 5 chills.
Terrain: The dream cloud

This large cloud is a very peculiar thing. It is able to hold any Pokemon, no matter what their weight is, and it also has the strange ability to allow a Pokemon's dreams to come true. This is expressed by allowing the Pokemon to have abilities that they have only dreamed of, allowing them to have their dream world abilities instead of their normal abilities. The Pokemon start out with the best of moods, making attacks based on a good mood to work at their best for the first round. Also, as the Pokemon will be fighting on a large happy cloud, no moves that require ripping the cloud apart are allowed, unless you want to find yourself falling to your doom, anyway.

Notes: All Pokemon will have their dream world abilities.
All Pokemon are in a good mood upon coming out of their balls.
If a move that can rip apart the cloud is used, all Pokemon will fall off. They will fall for three actions before fainting, and so will end in a tie if they both fall.

1v1 single
dq: 6 days
cap: 30%
ban: no
arena: resonant insanity exister no.1

Set in a spacious and mostly empty burial vault, which seems a safe enough place to hold insane experiments.

Instead of sending out normally, participants select pokémon from their whole army and a list of 20 moves, which replace the selected pokémon's movepool, by PM.

The participants select all pokémon to be used before commands are given for round 1, by PM; the referee posts the selected pokémon and move lists after all sets are sent in. The battle then proceeds as if the selected pokémon were the active squad for the battle.

Last edited:
This is my first battle, so I'm trying to think of something quick to get used to the style. So here goes.

2v2 Single
DQ time: 1 week
Damage Cap: 20%
Banned moves: OHKO's, Direct Healing, chills = 3/pokemon, no weather/sky using moves (includes Thunder and Solar Beam), No "voice" moves (Hyper Voice, Echoed Voice, Metal Sound, Screech, etc.) or terrain-effecting moves (Earthquake, Dig, etc.), Flash
Arena: Medieval Castle Ruins in Winter

Deep in the dungeons of a medieval castle, falling apart due to age, there's a room that has been dimly lit, barely enough to see. Here, Pokemon matches are held. Pokemon that can see in the dark or that can light up the room further have an advantage here, as due psychic and "Aura" Pokemon.

The pillars are weak and the lights are only flame lanterns, so hard ground type moves or loud Pokemon could easily topple the room, and strong flying moves would plunge everything into darkness. An ample lack of access to the sky and sunlight limits many moves and even some Pokemon, so don't expect to be using the outdoors to your advantage. However, there are pools of water forming in holes and ice forming along the walls in this cold dungeon at this time of year, so water-dependent Pokemon and ice-types also have a stand here.

Notes: I'd suggest that grass types that require sunlight (flower Pokemon/those with Chlorophyl) not be used, but you can if you want. They're not completely useless here.

This is my first battle, so I'm trying to think of something quick to get used to the style. So here goes.

2v2 Single
DQ time: 1 week
Damage Cap: 20%
Banned moves: OHKO's, Direct Healing, chills = 3/pokemon, no weather/sky using moves (includes Thunder and Solar Beam), No "voice" moves (Hyper Voice, Echoed Voice, Metal Sound, Screech, etc.) or terrain-effecting moves (Earthquake, Dig, etc.), Flash
Arena: Medieval Castle Ruins in Winter

Deep in the dungeons of a medieval castle, falling apart due to age, there's a room that has been dimly lit, barely enough to see. Here, Pokemon matches are held. Pokemon that can see in the dark or that can light up the room further have an advantage here, as due psychic and "Aura" Pokemon.

The pillars are weak and the lights are only flame lanterns, so hard ground type moves or loud Pokemon could easily topple the room, and strong flying moves would plunge everything into darkness. An ample lack of access to the sky and sunlight limits many moves and even some Pokemon, so don't expect to be using the outdoors to your advantage. However, there are pools of water forming in holes and ice forming along the walls in this cold dungeon at this time of year, so water-dependent Pokemon and ice-types also have a stand here.

Notes: I'd suggest that grass types that require sunlight (flower Pokemon/those with Chlorophyl) not be used, but you can if you want. They're not completely useless here.

Enough talk. Let's fight! [/kung fu panda quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom