• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Format: 2v2 single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healers, Dig, Earthquake
Arena Description: Cerulean Gym

A very large swimming pool lined with bleachers. There is a floating island in the center, large enough for an Onix to curl up uncomfortably, and land-bound Pokemon may start either here or on the cement surrounding the pool. If such Pokemon jump or are pushed into the water, they must expend 1% energy each action to stay afloat until they climb out (not applicable to water-types). Because of its type affiliation, water-type moves deal 1% more damage for 1% less energy.

Reserved for VM.

Format: 2v2, Singles
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: 60%
Banned moves: OHKOs, Evasion, all Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, and Fairy moves, both damaging and non-damaging. Attract may only be used by female Pokemon.
Arena: r/atheism

m'battle

Ever wondered why Reddit has the reputation it does? Well, a lot of it is due to this subreddit, and the most well-known stereotypes about this subreddit have (temporarily) been absorbed by the Pokemon here. (Fortunately, they will revert to their non-problematic selves after the battle.)

The effects of this arena:

- All male Pokemon have the base power of their damaging moves increased by 10, but all female and genderless Pokemon have the base power of their damaging moves decreased by 10.
- All white Pokemon have the base power of their damaging moves increased by 5, but all brown/black/yellow Pokemon have the base power of their damaging moves decreased by 5. This stacks with the above.
- All Pokemon with some sort of head covering (for example, Breloom, Honchkrow, Probopass) take 10% less energy to attack. Horns do not count.
- All Pokemon with a beard take 10% less energy to attack. This stacks with the above.
- Female Pokemon may use Attract, but not male Pokemon.
- Should an equine Pokemon use Attract, even Protect will not stop it. (You know why. *winks*)
- When a Pokemon uses a Rock-type or Water-type attack, damaging or non-damaging, its health and energy will be restored by 1% each. (Props to you if you figure out why this one's here.)
- This is r/atheism, so, as has been stated, no Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, or Fairy attacks are permitted.
- When a Pokemon uses a Grass-type attack damaging or non-damaging, the target will have its Attack lowered by one stage for the next two actions.
Seeing as my battle with Zekrom_B0lt ended prematurely, I can take this battle now.

I don't know much about r/atheism (and I probably don't want to), but we'll see how this goes.

I think Coloursfall isn't here, so is it alright if I drop my standing battle with him and take this up as the other battler instead?
Since you're a ref now, and you're currently reffing a battle, you actually get a fourth battle slot, so if you want to, feel free to keep both battles in case Coloursfall shows up.

Oh wait a minute, I didn't notice you already had a second pending challenge vs The Omskivar. Still, you're allowed to drop whichever battle you like.

2vs2 Single
Style: Switch
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, rest, attract
Terrain: The middle lane

Ah yes, the middle lane. A small river separates two bits of land from each other. One side, the dire side, is dark, with almost dead looking grass and trees, and the other side, the radiant, is filled with life, with luscious trees and grass.

For the sake of simplicity, the top and bottom lanes do not exist. On the ends of the river just lie some magical runes (one will be at each end).
They will appear every 3 rounds, even if someone has not picked the last one up (the new one will overwrite the old one). One of these runes that have spawned will always be a bounty rune. The effects (which last till the end of the round) are:

Double damage: A blue rune, looks kinda crinkly. Damage from Pokemon's attacks are doubled, but also the energy cost.

Haste: A red, diamond shaped rune. The Pokemon's speed is doubled.

Illusion: Three yellow runes,in a ovalish shape. Two clones of the Pokemon are created.

Invisibilty: A purple, almost fading away rune. The Pokemon is invisible till it attacks it's opponent. The opponent cannot dodge, as they cannot see the attack coming.

Regeneration: A green rune with plant-life growing on it. The Pokemon is healed 10% health and 10% energy. (Let's be a little fair; if it healed back to full this match may never end.

Bounty: An orange rune with yellow rings around it. Gives the trainer +£1.

It will cost an action to go check a rune, and you will have to specify which rune you are going for. After going for a rune, your Pokemon will return to the middle lane.

Erm, I will leave a picture of the middle lane, for those confused:

1hXLe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

A very large swimming pool lined with bleachers. There is a floating island in the center, large enough for an Onix to curl up uncomfortably, and land-bound Pokemon may start either here or on the cement surrounding the pool. If such Pokemon jump or are pushed into the water, they must expend 1% energy each action to stay afloat until they climb out (not applicable to water-types). Because of its type affiliation, water-type moves deal 1% more damage for 1% less energy.
I'll take this is no one minds

Music Dragon's ref test; one mentor ref and one other battler, as always.

2vs2 Single
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

2vs2 Single

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

i want a part of this moment in history. ideally not as the mentor but i can fill that role if nobody else wants it.

2vs2 Single

I'll drop my current challenge and be the other battler, then.

Format: 1vs1 inverse
Style: still super-cool
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 49%
Banned/Restricted Moves: direct healing, Pain Split, Super Fang. Chill doesn't restore any energy, but can be used for other purposes. Infatuation, sleep, confusion, and paralysis don't happen, but moves and abilities that could cause them are still fine.
Arena Description: Tart Top has turned into a freaking VOLCANO as an expression of Eifie's righteous fury. It like, explodes and stuff. idk. Eifie's rage is so complete it like, twists the fabric of space-time and turns the world into an inverse battle or something. whatev, man. Let's battle. Also Pokémon battle as their fully-evolved forms because why not.
Additional Rules: I'm gonna use my Sentret! Don't use a Fighting- or Ghost-type plz. haha wait I am a dumb who somehow forgot the entire gimmick of my own battle. use whatever your heart desires

Last edited:
Well, since my battle with Zekrom looks like it's fallen through, an open challenge.

Style: set
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: none
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healing except Chill, Super Fang, Endeavor, attraction except from the Lovers card
Arena Description: (arena by Superbird, via the Arena Archive!) "Welcome to the Velvet Room. This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter." -Igor

Nothing is ever quite the same about the velvet room, not its residents or its layout or its purpose, save for its overpoweringly blue color and for its master, Igor. Even the battlers and referee aren't quite sure how they all got there, but at least for now, the room has transformed into an arena perfect for a battle. The battle will take place in a large rectangular indentation in the floor, with stairs on each end to navigate back up to the rim. Past the rim, the room's walls cannot be seen, only the floor as it fades into darkness. Owing to the supernatural nature of the Velvet Room, all pokémon that would normally need water to swim in can instead swim in the air, treating it as if it were water. All resources necessary for using attacks will appear from the void of the soul, and disappear afterwards if there's no reason for them to stick around.

On the rim of the arena are the Velvet Room's residents. Theodore, Elizabeth, and Margaret, three siblings and attendants of the room's residents, watch patiently from close to the rim. A bit farther back, Nameless plays his piano and Belladonna sings the Aria of the Soul, over and over. This soothing music will restore 1% energy to each pokémon that hears it, every action, though if either Nameless or Belladonna are struck by an attack and thereby distracted, the song will stop for three actions. Every action, there is also a 10% chance that the Demon Painter, having sketched a pokémon using a move on his canvas, will allow a random pokémon to use a random move they cannot normally learn for the rest of the battle.

But the most important Velvet Room resident, of course, is Igor, who sits in front of a small table watching the battle with an enigmatic, emotionless expression. At the beginning of the battle, and at the end of each round, he will turn over a tarot card from his deck, chosen at random, and each will affect the battle in the following way for the following round:
0: The Fool - In the spirit of infinite potential and the beginnings of a journey, this card will not affect the battle.
I: The Magician - In the spirit of creation and willpower, all moves that require a resource not already present in the arena will deal 2% more damage for 2% less energy.
II: The High Priestess - In the spirit of communication with the unconscious, all special moves will deal 1% more damage and all physical moves will deal 1% less.
III: The Empress - In the spirit of creation and nurturing, all pokémon will temporarily have a random two stats raised and one stat lowered.
IV: The Emperor - In the spirit of order, trainers cannot use conditionals this round.
V: The Heirophant - In the spirit of group identity and spirituality, all moves will deal 2% less damage but cost 1% less energy.
VI: The Lovers - In the spirit of bonds and relationships, all pokémon will become attracted to each other for the duration of the round.
VII: The Chariot - In the spirit of charging forward, all physical moves will deal 1% more damage, and all special moves will deal 1% less.
VIII: Strength - In the spirit of inner strength and control, all stat drops will disappear for the duration of the round.
IX: The Hermit - In the spirit of understanding and solitude, if a pokémon uses Chill, a random two of their stats will permanently rise by one stage.
X: The Wheel of Fortune - In the spirit of chance and luck, all moves' secondary effect chances triple.
XI: Justice - In the spirit of justice, each pokémon will take half of their attacks' dealt damage in recoil (this damage cannot be avoided).
XII: The Hanged Man - In the spirit of seeing things from a different point of view, each battler will be able to use moves from its opponent's moveset.
XIII: Death - In the spirit of death and rebirth, all pokémon will take 1% extra damage whenever anything else (move, status condition, etc.) deals damage to them.
XIV: Temperance - In the spirit of mixing opposites and finding compromises, super effective and not very effective moves will deal damage as if they were regularly effective.
XV: The Devil - In the spirit of letting go and letting your instincts take over, the pokémon will choose their moves randomly, on impulse, ignoring their commands.
XVI: The Tower - In the spirit of collapse and strong foundations, all moves with a chance to miss will miss and no secondary effects with a chance of less than 100% will activate.
XVII: The Star - In the spirit of individuality and wisdom, all moves will have perfect accuracy.
XVIII: The Moon - In the spirit of haziness and lack of clarity, a constant mist will fill the arena (that cannot be removed) which will temporarily lower every pokémon's accuracy by two stages.
XIX: The Sun - In the spirit of light and enlightenment, all pokémon will restore 2% health and 1% energy per action, in addition to any other sources of health or energy restoration.
XX: Judgment - In the spirit of judgment, the pokémon with less health at the end of the round will be dealt 10% untyped damage.
XXI: The World - In the spirit of the release of energy, all attacks will deal 2% more total damage and cost 1% more energy.
Additional Rules: Only unevolved Pokemon that can evolve further, please.

Ehm, so, in case I missed something... this challenge is still open?

If so, I'm your man!

Format: 1vs1 inverse
Style: still super-cool
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 49%
Banned/Restricted Moves: direct healing, Pain Split, Super Fang. Chill doesn't restore any energy, but can be used for other purposes. Infatuation, sleep, confusion, and paralysis don't happen, but moves and abilities that could cause them are still fine.
Arena Description: Tart Top has turned into a freaking VOLCANO as an expression of Eifie's righteous fury. It like, explodes and stuff. idk. Eifie's rage is so complete it like, twists the fabric of space-time and turns the world into an inverse battle or something. whatev, man. Let's battle. Also Pokémon battle as their fully-evolved forms because why not.
Additional Rules: I'm gonna use my Sentret! Don't use a Fighting- or Ghost-type plz. haha wait I am a dumb who somehow forgot the entire gimmick of my own battle. use whatever your heart desires

I'm down for this! I'll prolly either use my Gastly for mutual supereffective shenanigans or my Munchlax- hit me up in VM if you have a preference.

I'm down for this! I'll prolly either use my Gastly for mutual supereffective shenanigans or my Munchlax- hit me up in VM if you have a preference.

it's on

(I'll be reffing this; let me know when you've decided on your Pokemon and I'll post the thread.)

Eh go ahead and post it, Ill catch Eifie and decide before commands need posting.

Open Challenge

Format: 2 vs. 2 Single
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing Moves, Attract, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena Description: The Relic Stone

Located underneath Agate Village in the Orre Region, the Relic Stone sits upon a jagged, spherical, pedestal. The stone itself is more of a pillar in appearance, about twice the height of the average human, emanating a slight green aura. Surrounding the shrine is dense woods, off limits for the sake of the battle. The Relic Stone's main purpose is to purify the hearts of Shadow Pokemon, granting them some moves that they may not regularly be able to learn. Therefore, each Pokemon in the battle has access to any moves it could only learn through purification in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. As the moves are unfamiliar to the battler, they do cost 1% extra energy each. At the end of each round, there is a 10% chance that Celebi will appear out of nowhere, floating above the Relic Stone. Celebi will choose one battler at random and heal them of any status conditions they may be afflicted with.

For reference

Additional Rules: NFEs only

Well, since my battle with Zekrom looks like it's fallen through, an open challenge.

Style: set
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: none
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healing except Chill, Super Fang, Endeavor, attraction except from the Lovers card
Arena Description: (arena by Superbird, via the Arena Archive!) "Welcome to the Velvet Room. This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter." -Igor

Nothing is ever quite the same about the velvet room, not its residents or its layout or its purpose, save for its overpoweringly blue color and for its master, Igor. Even the battlers and referee aren't quite sure how they all got there, but at least for now, the room has transformed into an arena perfect for a battle. The battle will take place in a large rectangular indentation in the floor, with stairs on each end to navigate back up to the rim. Past the rim, the room's walls cannot be seen, only the floor as it fades into darkness. Owing to the supernatural nature of the Velvet Room, all pokémon that would normally need water to swim in can instead swim in the air, treating it as if it were water. All resources necessary for using attacks will appear from the void of the soul, and disappear afterwards if there's no reason for them to stick around.

On the rim of the arena are the Velvet Room's residents. Theodore, Elizabeth, and Margaret, three siblings and attendants of the room's residents, watch patiently from close to the rim. A bit farther back, Nameless plays his piano and Belladonna sings the Aria of the Soul, over and over. This soothing music will restore 1% energy to each pokémon that hears it, every action, though if either Nameless or Belladonna are struck by an attack and thereby distracted, the song will stop for three actions. Every action, there is also a 10% chance that the Demon Painter, having sketched a pokémon using a move on his canvas, will allow a random pokémon to use a random move they cannot normally learn for the rest of the battle.

But the most important Velvet Room resident, of course, is Igor, who sits in front of a small table watching the battle with an enigmatic, emotionless expression. At the beginning of the battle, and at the end of each round, he will turn over a tarot card from his deck, chosen at random, and each will affect the battle in the following way for the following round:
0: The Fool - In the spirit of infinite potential and the beginnings of a journey, this card will not affect the battle.
I: The Magician - In the spirit of creation and willpower, all moves that require a resource not already present in the arena will deal 2% more damage for 2% less energy.
II: The High Priestess - In the spirit of communication with the unconscious, all special moves will deal 1% more damage and all physical moves will deal 1% less.
III: The Empress - In the spirit of creation and nurturing, all pokémon will temporarily have a random two stats raised and one stat lowered.
IV: The Emperor - In the spirit of order, trainers cannot use conditionals this round.
V: The Heirophant - In the spirit of group identity and spirituality, all moves will deal 2% less damage but cost 1% less energy.
VI: The Lovers - In the spirit of bonds and relationships, all pokémon will become attracted to each other for the duration of the round.
VII: The Chariot - In the spirit of charging forward, all physical moves will deal 1% more damage, and all special moves will deal 1% less.
VIII: Strength - In the spirit of inner strength and control, all stat drops will disappear for the duration of the round.
IX: The Hermit - In the spirit of understanding and solitude, if a pokémon uses Chill, a random two of their stats will permanently rise by one stage.
X: The Wheel of Fortune - In the spirit of chance and luck, all moves' secondary effect chances triple.
XI: Justice - In the spirit of justice, each pokémon will take half of their attacks' dealt damage in recoil (this damage cannot be avoided).
XII: The Hanged Man - In the spirit of seeing things from a different point of view, each battler will be able to use moves from its opponent's moveset.
XIII: Death - In the spirit of death and rebirth, all pokémon will take 1% extra damage whenever anything else (move, status condition, etc.) deals damage to them.
XIV: Temperance - In the spirit of mixing opposites and finding compromises, super effective and not very effective moves will deal damage as if they were regularly effective.
XV: The Devil - In the spirit of letting go and letting your instincts take over, the pokémon will choose their moves randomly, on impulse, ignoring their commands.
XVI: The Tower - In the spirit of collapse and strong foundations, all moves with a chance to miss will miss and no secondary effects with a chance of less than 100% will activate.
XVII: The Star - In the spirit of individuality and wisdom, all moves will have perfect accuracy.
XVIII: The Moon - In the spirit of haziness and lack of clarity, a constant mist will fill the arena (that cannot be removed) which will temporarily lower every pokémon's accuracy by two stages.
XIX: The Sun - In the spirit of light and enlightenment, all pokémon will restore 2% health and 1% energy per action, in addition to any other sources of health or energy restoration.
XX: Judgment - In the spirit of judgment, the pokémon with less health at the end of the round will be dealt 10% untyped damage.
XXI: The World - In the spirit of the release of energy, all attacks will deal 2% more total damage and cost 1% more energy.
Additional Rules: Only unevolved Pokemon that can evolve further, please.

Ehm, so, in case I missed something... this challenge is still open?

If so, I'm your man!

I'm not sure whether to start this or not - I agreed to, but doing so would push Keldeo over the battle limit and also he said something about dropping it anyway, so. I'm going to consider the challenge dropped until told otherwise.

Format: 3 vs 3 doubles
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Attract, OHKO's, direct-healing moves
Arena Description: Atlantis

Although most likely not the real Atlantis, the drowned city of Atlantis in which this battle takes place shares a frightening amount with its namesake. The fact that both ended up underwater, for example - and that both were tremendously prosperous beforehand. The city was so well-built that most of its buildings have not been too badly harmed, even at such great depths; rust and algae coat the majority of the structures, sure, and sponges grow on the smaller houses, but towards the upper limits of the buildings things look shockingly pristine. Since most of the city is made of skyscrapers - thousands of feet high on average, towering way above the miniature houses below and many made of pure glass, made hard enough that many of the walls remain intact; here and there, the tallest of skyscrapers was made of actual diamond, and nothing has managed to corrode those. This leads to quiet a beautiful underwater view.

Of course, so far underwater - the tallest of skyscrapers being nearly 3,000 feet tall and still not even nearing the surface of the ocean - none of this would, normally, be seen. No sunlight reaches this far down, and the fish and pokemon are all used to darkness. This is one of the most brilliant aspects of Atlantis: it's a city of light.

Each of the skyscrapers is topped with a lightningrod, acting much like the pokemon ability. The rods are connected to dozens of gemstones fitted into the building walls, making it appear as if the buildings themselves glow. Since, of course, lightning doesn't often strike so deep below the surface, it's common courtesy for pokemon to come by and flash a thunder wave or two to light up the area.

Since Atlantis is nearly always bathed in light, it's considered poor hunting grounds - and by the same means, great protection for young. It's a rare day to not find tiny newborn chinchou flitting about, or a wailmer hiding in one of the taller skyscrapers, holding its breath before it needs to return to the surface.

Additional Rules: For the duration of this battle, a protective force-field has been erected surrounding Atlantis. The field lets in/out all but living creatures, so pokemon that need to breathe will not be able to get through and reach the surface (meaning yes, they will suffocate). Pokemon that are generally known to dwell in water will be able to hold their breath for as long as the battle takes place.

The lightning-rods that cover the multiple towers will attract all electric attacks towards them, making electric attacks (aside from those that are self-directed) useless.

All attacks used by water-type pokemon do 1% more damage and cost 1% less energy; attacks used by pokemon not used to being in water do 1% less damage and cost 1% more energy.

Accepted!

Takin' this, thread up in a shake of a city's foundation.

EDIT: It fell.

Last edited:
Format: 4v4 doubles
Style: Set but I don't care very much; opponent is free to decide
DQ: 2 weeks
Banned moves: Direct recovery, OHKOs, Super Fang, infatuation, confusion. Paralysis will only slow down affected Pokémon. Draining moves may not be targeted at a Pokémon weak to them. Nothing with Cloud Nine, please.
Additional Rules: VGC format! Trainers will PM the ref 4 Pokémon from their active squads in advance, and each side's leads will be revealed before commands are posted.
Arena: Memorial to the Storms

A bronze statue of a woman stands at the lakeshore. She is roughly six feet tall, stocky beneath her cloak, and a rough granite pedestal adds another three feet to her height. Her face is bowed and dulled, both emotionally and physically by the bizarre weather that plagues the lake and its surrounding forest.

The battle will take place in a large meadow surrounding the memorial, which is penned in by the lake on one side, and a deep forest on the other. A dirt road leads up to the memorial's pedestal, and there are many rocks scattered about the lake's bottom if needed. Every weather condition is in effect, permanently. Thunder and Blizzard never miss, and Solarbeam requires no charge turn. Rock types take half damage from special moves, and all weather-related abilities are activated. Pokémon not immune to hail or sandstorm will take double the residual damage (Amaura and Swinub lines are the only species that wouldn't take any). The fire/water boosts from sun and rain negate each other.

I'll take this is no one minds

Takies.

Back
Top Bottom