• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

pathos vs TruetoCheese

JackPK

blame telegram
Pronoun
he/him
[size=+2]pathos vs TruetoCheese[/size]

2vs2 Single
Style: Switch
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

pathos's active squad

magneton Zoom the genderless Magneton <Magnet Pull> @ Eviolite (6 EXP, 4 happiness)
croagunk Karpad the male Croagunk <Anticipation> @ Lucky Egg (0 EXP, 0 happiness)
snorunt Shriek the female Snorunt <Ice Body> @ Dawn Stone (0 EXP, 0 happiness)
marshtomp Starbuck the female Marshtomp <Torrent> @ Lucky Egg (4 EXP, 3 happiness)
meditite Boomer the female Meditite <Pure Power> @ Lucky Egg (0 EXP, 0 happiness)
marill Apollo the male Marill <Huge Power> @ Muscle Band (3 EXP, 4 happiness)
nidorino Trigger the male Nidorino <Poison Point> @ Moon Stone (2 EXP, 2 happiness)
wartortle Tinkle the female Wartortle <Torrent> @ Lucky Egg (2 EXP, 1 happiness)
dratini Zohar the female Dratini <Shed Skin> @ Lucky Egg (0 EXP, 0 happiness)
zorua Pentimento the male Zorua <Illusion> @ Lucky Egg (0 EXP, 0 happiness)

TruetoCheese's active squad

gligar Gutterspout the male Gligar <Hyper Cutter> @ Razor Fang (0 EXP, 0 happiness)
skorupi Madeline the female Skorupi <Battle Armor> @ Lucky Egg (3 EXP, 3 happiness)
pikachu Coulomb the male Pikachu <Static> @ Light Ball (4 EXP, 4 happiness)
noibat Rathian the female Noibat <Infiltrator> @ Lucky Egg (0 EXP, 0 happiness)
amaura Littlefoot the male Amaura <Refrigerate> @ Never-Melt Ice (3 EXP, 3 happiness)
magnemite Faraday the genderless Magnemite <Magnet Pull> @ Lucky Egg (0 EXP, 0 happiness)
croagunk Frog the male Croagunk <Anticipation> (3 EXP, 2 happiness)
pawniard Cutman the male Pawniard <Defiant> @ Lucky Egg (0 EXP, 0 happiness)
swablu Jerome the male Swablu <Natural Cure> @ Sachet (3 EXP, 2 happiness)
cottonee Aries "The Ram" Ram the female Cottonee <Prankster> @ Sun Stone (0 EXP, 0 happiness)

(I added EXP to the autogenerated code so I don't have to go all the way back to the db to check for it, and happiness just because the EXP looked lonely.)

The RNG says...
  • TruetoCheese sends out first
  • Pathos sends out and commands
  • TruetoCheese commands last

Technically, Jack, you should ask both battlers if they'd like to use a rental team, but I figure TTC would've said by now if he did, and I don't, so let's just move on. I'll go with Trigger, so we can both get an evo.

Unfortunately our speeds are tied, Trigger, so we can't predict anything based on that... Let's go on the offense. We'll go with Skull Bash, Body Slam, and Skull Bash, in that order, swapping in Shock Wave if there are clones, and Hone Claws if he's protecting/otherwise unhittable.

Skull Bash / Shock Wave / Hone Claws ~ Body Slam / Shock Wave / Hone Claws ~ Skull Bash / Shock Wave / Hone Claws

Ah, oops! TTC, just to confirm, do you want to stick with Madeline or start the send-outs over and pick a rental team?

Alrighty, we're just going to keep it nice and simple for the opening round. Start off with a Thief, we'd quite like that Moon Stone of his, it'd go well with your beady little eyes. Yeah, let's say that instead of trying to come up with a better reason...

We'll follow it up with a Confuse Ray! And finish with a Dig, and stay down if possible. I'm pretty sure we can dig it in this arena, since everything appears to be allowed.

Of course, that string of commands is different depending on how Jack refs our speeds. If the tie is settled by who's commanding first going first each action, then...we'll actually probably do the same thing, heh. Though if we're slower for the round because of that, and Trigger's managed to hit himself in confusion on the last action, we'll do an Acupressure because that sounds fun! Use Acupressure if the arena won't let you get your claws in and diggy with it, too.

Thief ~ Confuse Ray ~ Dig and stay / Acupressure

Poison types rule!

EDIT: Yeah I don't want a rental team :P

[size=+2]pathos vs TruetoCheese: Round One[/size]

2vs2 Single

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

The midmorning sun casts a glare of light on the metallic stands as a small crowd packs into the ASB Central Stadium’s seating, each onlooker weighing the desire for a good view with the odds of being hurt by MASSIVE DESTRUCTION if they sit too close. As the impatient chatter begins to rise, the heavy steel doors on either side of the arena clank open to reveal the battlers. Swablu-mounted cameras sweep across the arena on either side to zoom in on pathos in one corner and TruetoCheese in the other, their faces lighting up on the stadium’s massive LED display screens before fading into team listings for the fans’ benefit.

Last but not least, the referee comes out — an old face familiar to some but new to others. He and the Trainers meet in the center of the field for a friendly handshake and a confirmation of the rules. With that set, the Trainers head to the sides of the field and let out their Pokemon!

Pathos’ Pokeball erupts in a light that dissolves into a heavyset purple lupine beast, its spikes gleaming with poison and a glimmering Moon Stone set into its collar. On the other side of the field, TruetoCheese reveals he’s chosen an angular, light blue scorpion, its pincers clicking as the Lucky Egg dangling from its necklace clacks against its heavy armor.

The LED screen lights up a rundown of the battlers’ key attributes and an estimation of their health and energy levels.

Team pathos (OO)
nidorino
Trigger (M) the Nidorino
<Poison Point> 30% chance of poisoning the foe on contact.
@Moon Stone Restores 1% health and energy per action when there is no weather.
███████████ 100% Health
███████████ 100% Energy
Speed: 65
Condition: Ready to get started!
Commands: Skull Bash / Shock Wave / Hone Claws ~ Body Slam / Shock Wave / Hone Claws ~ Skull Bash / Shock Wave / Hone Claws

Team TruetoCheese (OO)
skorupi
Madeline (F) the Skorupi
<Battle Armor> Blocks critical hits.
@Lucky Egg Gives the holder an extra experience point.
███████████ 100% Health
███████████ 100% Energy
Condition: Feeling good.
Commands: Thief ~ Confuse Ray ~ Dig and stay / Acupressure

The referee waves his flag, and the battle begins!

Quick as a flash, the Nidorino screeches out a grumbling cry and lowers his head into an attacking stance, his horn pointed straight out in front of him. He gets going, first in a trot, then a run, then a full-out sprint toward his foe. At the same time, on the other side of the field, the Skorupi takes off in a scuttle of feet, encloaking her claws in a shadowy energy that absorbs all the light that tries to bounce off it. At the center of the field, Trigger hits his mark with a heavy blow, knocking the wind out of her. He starts to growl with satisfaction, but cuts himself off — where’s his Moon Stone? It was right here a second ago. He looks over, and somehow, in the midst of his attack, the Skorupi must have stolen it, because there it is on her necklace, her own Lucky Egg tossed aside on the ground like trash.

Trigger isn’t going to take that sitting down, that’s for certain. He starts running at Madeline again, but this time instead of angling his horn at her, he veers to the side at the last minute and bulldozes her with his shoulder, knocking her to the ground. As she gets back to her many feet, Madeline starts blinking her eyes, slowly at first, then faster and faster, first in unison but then in unsynchronized winking. What’s she doing? Trigger tries to get a better look, but the more he stares, the less sense they seem to make. Now there are four eyes — no, that’s not right. Of course it’s not right, there are eight right there — no, sixteen — now they’re all around. Trigger sinks in a daze, the afterimages still behind his eyelids as he wracks his brain to figure out what’s real.

What was he supposed to do now? Oh yeah, another Skull Bash. Trigger takes a deep breath, picks the brightest pair of eyes he can see, and makes another high-speed strike, his horn lowered into a position for maximum injury. The attack strikes true, but by the time Trigger’s turned around to confirm the results of his hit, Madeline is gone with just a hole in the ground left where he hit the solid mass that he definitely remembers hitting. Where did she go? And if those eyes could stop hovering over him, that would be pretty nice...

Team pathos (OO)
nidorino
Trigger (M) the Nidorino
██████████ 95% Health
████████ 73% Energy
Condition: Perplexed by the hovering eyes.
Commands used: Skull Bash ~ Body Slam ~ Skull Bash

Team TruetoCheese (OO)
skorupi
Madeline (F) the Skorupi

███████ 68% Health
██████████ 92% Energy
Condition: In pain, but hoping her eye trick will keep her safe.
Commands used: Thief ~ Confuse Ray ~ Dig and stay

Unless otherwise stated, all rolls are on a scale from 001-100 where the roll must be equal or lower to the accuracy in order to hit, the effect chance in order to have an effect, or the critical hit chance to crit.

On confusion/paralysis/attraction etc. rolls, anything lower than the failure chance is a failure; anything higher lets the Pokemon use its command.

Action One
Trigger used Skull Bash.
~ Skull Bash has 100% accuracy(and Trigger’s accuracy modifier is currently unchanged*), so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Skull Bash’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Trigger failed to crit with a roll of 43. (Madeline has Battle Armor, so Trigger can’t crit anyway, even though I forgot about this until I’d already rolled for all the crit chances. Doesn’t matter since none of them rolled as crits anyway. I’m including the rolls for completeness’ sake.*)
*These notes apply passim, but I’m not going to spend the time typing them up for every one.
~ Trigger's defense is boosted by +1 for the duration of the move, including Thief's hit.

Madeline used Thief.
~ Thief has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Thief’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Madeline failed to crit with a roll of 47.
~ Thief is a contact move and has a 30% chance of triggering Poison Point. Madeline avoided being poisoned with a roll of 80.

Action Two
Trigger used Body Slam.
~ Body Slam has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Body Slam has a 30% chance of paralyzing the target. This effect failed with a roll of 49.
~ Body Slam’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Trigger failed to crit with a roll of 23.

Madeline used Confuse Ray.
~ Confuse Ray has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll. Trigger was severely confused!

Action Three
Trigger has a 50% chance of confusion failure. He succeeded with a roll of 79.
Trigger used Skull Bash.
~ Skull Bash has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Skull Bash’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Trigger failed to crit with a roll of 13.

Madeline used Dig.
~ Dig has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Dig’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Madeline failed to crit with a roll of 39.
~ Dig is a contact move and has a 30% chance of triggering Poison Point. Madeline avoided being poisoned with a roll of 80.

~ Dig is not directed to attack offensively.

At the end of Action 3, Trigger’s confusion softened from severe to strong. His failure chance is now 40%.
For all calculations, please completely ignore all the rules you learned in school about order of operations. Everything in this section just goes left to right.

Action One
Trigger used Skull Bash.
~ Base power 13% + no bonus because not STAB + no stats have been boosted + 0 EXP bonus (2/4 rounded down = 0) × 1 for the standard type modification = Madeline takes 13% damage.
~ Base energy 8% + 3 for using in one move = Trigger expends 11% energy.

Madeline used Thief.
~ Base power 6% + no bonus because not STAB - 1 for Trigger's Def boost from Skull Bash + 0 EXP bonus (3/4 rounded down =0) × 1 for the standard type modification = Trigger takes 5% damage.
~ Base energy 3% = Madeline expends 3% energy.

The Moon Stone restores Madeline’s health and energy by 1% each.
nidorino 95% health, 89% energy
skorupi 88% health, 98% energy

Action Two
Trigger used Body Slam.
~ Base power 8% + no bonus because not STAB + no stats have been boosted + 0 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type modification = Madeline takes 8% damage.
~ Base energy 5% = Trigger expends 5% energy.

~ Confuse Ray does not deal damage.
~ Base energy 4% = Madeline expends 4% energy.

nidorino 95% health, 84% energy
skorupi 80% health, 95% energy

Action Three
Trigger used Skull Bash.
~ Base power 13% + no bonus because not STAB + no stats have been boosted + 0 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type modification = Madeline takes 13% damage.

Madeline used Dig.

nidorino 95% health, 73% energy
skorupi 68% health, 92% energy

Arena
There is a hole leading down into a shallow underground tunnel peeking out of the otherwise pristine Astroturf just off the center of the arena. The rest of the arena has seen no MASSIVE DESTRUCTION as yet.

Notes:
1. Speed order: Trigger (65) = Madeline (65). In speed ties, I have the Pokemon act in command order, so this round Trigger acted first and next round Madeline will have the speed advantage.
2. Madeline was ordered to steal the Moon Stone because “we’d quite like it” and not just so Trigger can’t have it, so she assumed she was meant to throw away her own Lucky Egg to make room for it since she can hold only one item at a time.
3. The D&E Guide gives severe (50%) as the starting intensity for most status conditions, and I’ve seen other people reduce by 10% per action, but I don’t know what their flavor descriptions of the intensities are, so I made up my own. Severe (50%) softens to strong (40%), moderate (30%), mild (20%) and very mild (10%) before going away entirely. If there's an official standard for the flavors, please let me know and I'll revise.
4. Since Madeline was already expending extra energy to use Dig in one action, I ruled she’s not able to stay down in her hole after the attack. If she had used two actions, she would have been able to expend a little extra energy to get back down after the attack. Since she was just digging, Madeline was able to stay in the hole just fine.
5. To create my HUDs, I’ve been cannibalizing pieces of lots of other people’s for a week or so now. In my notes I made special mention of Music Dragon’s and Knuddeluff’s, but I drew from a lot of people I’ve forgotten about, too.
6. I use Random.org’s “True RNG” at the top-right of its homepage.
7. I did this really quickly since I was super excited to start reffing, but I’m obviously out of practice typing since my hands hurt now. I’ll try to keep ‘em coming quick, but you probably shouldn’t expect anything quite this fast again except on a fluke. In particular, I'm actually going to be on a small vacation tomorrow and the next day, so I'll probably write up a reffing on the plane but the one after that will have to wait until Thursday.
Next round, TruetoCheese commands first, followed by pathos.

[size=+2]pathos vs TruetoCheese: Round One[/size]

2vs2 Single

The midmorning sun casts a glare of light on the metallic stands as a small crowd packs into the ASB Central Stadium’s seating, each onlooker weighing the desire for a good view with the odds of being hurt by MASSIVE DESTRUCTION if they sit too close. As the impatient chatter begins to rise, the heavy steel doors on either side of the arena clank open to reveal the battlers. Swablu-mounted cameras sweep across the arena on either side to zoom in on pathos in one corner and TruetoCheese in the other, their faces lighting up on the stadium’s massive LED display screens before fading into team listings for the fans’ benefit.

Last but not least, the referee comes out — an old face familiar to some but new to others. He and the Trainers meet in the center of the field for a friendly handshake and a confirmation of the rules. With that set, the Trainers head to the sides of the field and let out their Pokemon!

Pathos’ Pokeball erupts in a light that dissolves into a heavyset purple lupine beast, its spikes gleaming with poison and a glimmering Moon Stone set into its collar. On the other side of the field, TruetoCheese reveals he’s chosen an angular, light blue scorpion, its pincers clicking as the Lucky Egg dangling from its necklace clacks against its heavy armor.

The LED screen lights up a rundown of the battlers’ key attributes and an estimation of their health and energy levels.

Team pathos (OO)
nidorino
Trigger (M) the Nidorino
███████████ 100% Health
███████████ 100% Energy
Condition: Ready to get started!
Commands: Skull Bash / Shock Wave / Hone Claws ~ Body Slam / Shock Wave / Hone Claws ~ Skull Bash / Shock Wave / Hone Claws

Team TruetoCheese (OO)
skorupi
Madeline (F) the Skorupi
███████████ 100% Health
███████████ 100% Energy
Condition: Feeling good.
Commands: Thief ~ Confuse Ray ~ Dig and stay / Acupressure

The referee waves his flag, and the battle begins!

Quick as a flash, the Nidorino screeches out a grumbling cry and lowers his head into an attacking stance, his horn pointed straight out in front of him. He gets going, first in a trot, then a run, then a full-out sprint toward his foe. At the same time, on the other side of the field, the Skorupi takes off in a scuttle of feet, encloaking her claws in a shadowy energy that absorbs all the light that tries to bounce off it. At the center of the field, Trigger hits his mark with a heavy blow, knocking the wind out of her. He starts to growl with satisfaction, but cuts himself off — where’s his Moon Stone? It was right here a second ago. He looks over, and somehow, in the midst of his attack, the Skorupi must have stolen it, because there it is on her necklace, her own Lucky Egg tossed aside on the ground like trash.

Trigger isn’t going to take that sitting down, that’s for certain. He starts running at Madeline again, but this time instead of angling his horn at her, he veers to the side at the last minute and bulldozes her with his shoulder, knocking her to the ground. As she gets back to her many feet, Madeline starts blinking her eyes, slowly at first, then faster and faster, first in unison but then in unsynchronized winking. What’s she doing? Trigger tries to get a better look, but the more he stares, the less sense they seem to make. Now there are four eyes — no, that’s not right. Of course it’s not right, there are eight right there — no, sixteen — now they’re all around. Trigger sinks in a daze, the afterimages still behind his eyelids as he wracks his brain to figure out what’s real.

What was he supposed to do now? Oh yeah, another Skull Bash. Trigger takes a deep breath, picks the brightest pair of eyes he can see, and makes another high-speed strike, his horn lowered into a position for maximum injury. The attack strikes true, but by the time Trigger’s turned around to confirm the results of his hit, Madeline is gone with just a hole in the ground left where he hit the solid mass that he definitely remembers hitting. He has only a moment to ponder this before he feels a shooting pain in his stomach as the Skorupi’s digging claws erupt out of the ground and knock him over onto his side. Yeah, that doesn’t feel so good; he can see why the Skorupi didn’t like being knocked down by his Body Slam… And if those eyes could stop hovering over him, that would be pretty nice...

Team pathos (OO)
nidorino
Trigger (M) the Nidorino
█████████ 82% Health
████████ 73% Energy
Commands used: Skull Bash ~ Body Slam ~ Skull Bash

Team TruetoCheese (OO)
skorupi
Madeline (F) the Skorupi

███████ 68% Health
█████████ 89% Energy
Commands used: Thief ~ Confuse Ray ~ Dig

[hide=Rolls:]Unless otherwise stated, all rolls are on a scale from 001-100 where the roll must be equal or lower to the accuracy in order to hit, the effect chance in order to have an effect, or the critical hit chance to crit.

On confusion/paralysis/attraction etc. rolls, anything lower than the failure chance is a failure; anything higher lets the Pokemon use its command.

Action One
Trigger used Skull Bash.
~ Skull Bash has 100% accuracy(and Trigger’s accuracy modifier is currently unchanged*), so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Skull Bash’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Trigger failed to crit with a roll of 43. (Madeline has Battle Armor, so Trigger can’t crit anyway, even though I forgot about this until I’d already rolled for all the crit chances. Doesn’t matter since none of them rolled as crits anyway. I’m including the rolls for completeness’ sake.*)
*These notes apply passim, but I’m not going to spend the time typing them up for every one.

Madeline used Thief.
~ Thief has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Thief’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Madeline failed to crit with a roll of 47.
~ Thief is a contact move and has a 30% chance of triggering Poison Point. Madeline avoided being poisoned with a roll of 80.

Action Two
Trigger used Body Slam.
~ Body Slam has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Body Slam has a 30% chance of paralyzing the target. This effect failed with a roll of 49.
~ Body Slam’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Trigger failed to crit with a roll of 23.

~ Confuse Ray has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll. Trigger was severely confused!

Action Three
Trigger has a 50% chance of confusion failure. He succeeded with a roll of 79.
Trigger used Skull Bash.
~ Skull Bash has 100% accuracy, so it hits without needing a roll.
~ Skull Bash’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Trigger failed to crit with a roll of 13.

Madeline used Dig.
~ Dig’s critical hit domain is 1 (10%). Madeline failed to crit with a roll of 39.
~ Dig is a contact move and has a 30% chance of triggering Poison Point. Madeline avoided being poisoned with a roll of 80.

At the end of Action 3, Trigger’s confusion softened from severe to strong. His failure chance is now 40%.
For all calculations, please completely ignore all the rules you learned in school about order of operations. Everything in this section just goes left to right.

Action One
Trigger used Skull Bash.
~ Base power 13% + no bonus because not STAB + no stats have been boosted + 0 EXP bonus (2/4 rounded down = 0) × 1 for the standard type modification = Madeline takes 13% damage.

Madeline used Thief.
~ Base power 6% + no bonus because not STAB + no stats have been boosted + 0 EXP bonus (3/4 rounded down =0) × 1 for the standard type modification = Trigger takes 6% damage.
~ Base energy 3% = Madeline expends 3% energy.

nidorino 94% health, 89% energy
skorupi 88% health, 98% energy

Action Two
Trigger used Body Slam.
~ Base power 8% + no bonus because not STAB + no stats have been boosted + 0 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type modification = Madeline takes 8% damage.
~ Base energy 5% = Trigger expends 5% energy.

~ Confuse Ray does not deal damage.

nidorino 94% health, 84% energy
skorupi 80% health, 95% energy

Action Three
Trigger used Skull Bash.
~ Base power 13% + no bonus because not STAB + no stats have been boosted + 0 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type modification = Madeline takes 13% damage.

Madeline used Dig.
~ Base power 8% + no bonus because not STAB + no stats have been boosted + 0 EXP bonus × 1.5 (Ground is SE on Poison) = Trigger takes 12% damage.
~ Base energy 4% + 3 for using in one move = Madeline expends 7% energy.

nidorino 82% health, 73% energy
skorupi 68% health, 89% energy[/hide]

Arena
There are two holes, connected by a shallow underground tunnel, peeking out of the otherwise pristine Astroturf just off the center of the arena. The rest of the arena has seen no MASSIVE DESTRUCTION as yet.

Notes:
1. Speed order: Trigger (65) = Madeline (65). In speed ties, I have the Pokemon act in command order, so this round Trigger acted first and next round Madeline will have the speed advantage.
2. Madeline was ordered to steal the Moon Stone because “we’d quite like it” and not just so Trigger can’t have it, so she assumed she was meant to throw away her own Lucky Egg to make room for it since she can hold only one item at a time.
3. The D&E Guide gives severe (50%) as the starting intensity for most status conditions, and I’ve seen other people reduce by 10% per action, but I don’t know what their flavor descriptions of the intensities are, so I made up my own. Severe (50%) softens to strong (40%), moderate (30%), mild (20%) and very mild (10%) before going away entirely. If there's an official standard for the flavors, please let me know and I'll revise.
4. Since Madeline was already expending extra energy to use Dig in one action, I ruled she’s not able to stay down in her hole after the attack. If she had used two actions, she would have been able to expend a little extra energy to get back down after the attack.
5. To create my HUDs, I’ve been cannibalizing pieces of lots of other people’s for a week or so now. In my notes I made special mention of Music Dragon’s and Knuddeluff’s, but I drew from a lot of people I’ve forgotten about, too.
7. I did this really quickly since I was super excited to start reffing, but I’m obviously out of practice typing since my hands hurt now. I’ll try to keep ‘em coming quick, but you probably shouldn’t expect anything quite this fast again except on a fluke. In particular, I'm actually going to be on a small vacation tomorrow and the next day, so I'll probably write up a reffing on the plane but the one after that will have to wait until Thursday.
Next round, TruetoCheese commands first, followed by pathos.

Last edited:
This is mostly good, but there's a few small-ish mistakes.

Firstly, Thief doesn't steal the other pokemon's item if the pokemon using Thief is already holding an item. TTC did not command Madeline to drop her Lucky Egg, so she should not have gotten the Moon Stone.

Second, being told to stay down with Dig means that Madeline should not have attacked at all, but literally stayed down.

Otherwise, your prose is really good, and calcs all look good!

Firstly, Thief doesn't steal the other pokemon's item if the pokemon using Thief is already holding an item. TTC did not command Madeline to drop her Lucky Egg, so she should not have gotten the Moon Stone.
That's what I thought at first, too, but the description in the db says: If the user of this technique is already holding an item when it uses this attack, it may choose to either switch what it is holding with what it steals or discard the pilfered item. Since TTC didn't specify, I had Madeline assume she was supposed to switch.

Second, being told to stay down with Dig means that Madeline should not have attacked at all, but literally stayed down.
I was less sure of my decision on that, but since TTC phrased it as "And finish with a Dig, and stay down if possible," I figured what I wrote was what he meant. (The db and my personal experience agree that you can easily stay in a Dig tunnel if you're just digging and not attacking, so why would he say "if possible" if he didn't want to attack as well, was my thought.) Should I go edit that now, or wait for TTC to clarify what he meant first?

Otherwise, your prose is really good, and calcs all look good!
Thank you!

Hmmm, I'll ask about Thief, but I guess that can pass... and yeah, TTC should answer what he meant.

The if possible was added because I was unsure if you could dig in this arena. The command string had "and stay" in it. Though in hindsight mentioning that could've been a tad unnecessary when I added t h e Acupressure one. So I I won't object to your interpretation, since I did word it strangely.

And yeah I did want the moon stone,. so dropping the egg was what I had meant.

OK then, since your intention was for Madeline not to attack, I've rewritten that part of the reffing. Luckily, it was just the last bit of the last action...

Let me know if you notice any mistake in the rereffing. If not, it's TruetoCheese's turn to command.

As far as I can understand, the boost only applies during the attack, so it would disappear when the attack is over, no? So since Trigger was using the one-action version, the Defense boost would've applied and then disappeared before Madeline could get off her attack, correct?

Ermrm yes, but when it's used in a single action, it would act similar to focus punch, in that it'd start charging early and then be released at the end of the action. That way, if you ref the def boost as being active only while charging, it would be active until it was released at the end of the action. Otherwise, the def boost would be completely negligible. (Moves like solar beam, hyper beam, etc. would act similarly.)

I put off doing this since TTC was gone according to the Absence Sheet, but now he's back and also I've seen practice battles where the refs conspire to make a DQ notice part of the test, so I guess I have to...

DQ warning for TruetoCheese. You have 48 hours except since this is a ref test battle I'm not sure you can technically be DQed at all.

Alright, Maddy, we're underground and Trigger's confused. This should let us get off a couple of swordy dances followed by completing our underground journey by digging back up into him. If Trigger has followed you underground and is near enough to you at the beginning of the second action, see if you can complete the dig into him there, like smack him on the way out or shove both of you out of the earth. Otherwise throw Night Slashes at him.

Swords Dance ~ Swords Dance / Dig / Night Slash ~ Dig / Night Slash

I hadn't prepared at all for these order but let's gooooooo

Okay Trigger, our commands are gonna depend on whether you ... are too confused to attack at all. :v Sooo let's start out by Digging our own tunnel, make sure it's not near Madeline's. She shouldn't be able to find you down there till she crawls her way back up, and she hasn't been commanded to dig down or follow you, so we should be good. Then I think we'll set up a Reflect and wait till the end of the last action - make sure you wait! - to Dig back up to hit Madeline.

Now... if you're too confused to attack, try pulling off a Defense Curl, if you can. It's basically just crawling into the fetal position so it shouldn't be too hard, right? If you're still above-ground on the second action, Dig down then instead and proceed with normal commands afterwards. On the third action, if you haven't dug down yet, just go for a Counter if you can.

Dig / Defense Curl ~ Dig / Defense Curl / Reflect ~ Dig / Defense Curl / Counter

[size=+2]pathos vs TruetoCheese: Round Two[/size]

2vs2 Single

Team pathos (OO)
nidorino
Trigger (M) the Nidorino
██████████ 95% Health
████████ 73% Energy
Commands: Dig / Defense Curl ~ Dig / Defense Curl / Reflect ~ Dig / Defense Curl / Counter

Team TruetoCheese (OO)
skorupi
Madeline (F) the Skorupi

███████ 68% Health
██████████ 92% Energy
Commands: Swords Dance ~ Swords Dance / Dig / Night Slash ~ Dig / Night Slash

Down in her hole, Madeline is absolutely ready to go. She may have a pain in her side, but she’s brimming with so much more energy than her foe. In fact, what better way to take advantage of that energy than by funneling it into a confidence-boosting dance to make herself hit harder? With purpose, she clicks her pincers and spins (slightly awkwardly) in her narrow tunnel, tapping her feet to a war chant only she can hear. Meanwhile, aboveground, Trigger decides that if she’s gonna have fun in a hole, it’s only fair for him to have fun in a hole, too! He trots away until he thinks she won’t be able to tell where he is, then starts shoveling the ground below him until he, too, is hidden from sight.

Well, this isn’t the most exciting visual for the crowd. The Swablu-mounted cameras peek down as well as they can, but the only images they manage to project onto the screen are of the darkness at the holes’ entrances. The cameras’ microphones, however, manage to pick up some sounds that hint to the audience as to what’s going on — on the Skorupi’s side, the continued clicking and chirping of a warrior’s dance, and on the other, a growl of fury, a sudden dull blow, and a whimper of pain.

But luckily, it isn’t long until the crowd has something a little more exciting to see. Not far from Madeline’s hole, just where Trigger had been standing when she’d dug down, the ground bulges up slightly before exploding in a show of force as the scorpion attacks… the empty air. Now it was Madeline’s turn to be perplexed as to where her foe had gone. Spotting the new hole, she heads over to see if she can find her prey, when suddenly she’s knocked into the air as Trigger’s horn breaks the soft Astroturf from below. That’s right, he thinks, breathing heavily, the prey has become the predator.

Team pathos (OO)
nidorino
Trigger (M) the Nidorino
██████████ 91% Health
███████ 63% Energy
Condition: I did not have as much fun in that hole as I expected.
Commands used: Dig down ~ confusion failure ~ Dig up

Team TruetoCheese (OO)
skorupi
Madeline (F) the Skorupi

███████ 63% Health
█████████ 87% Energy
Condition: Frustrated at not getting to use her new buffed power.
Commands used: Swords Dance ~ Swords Dance ~ Dig up (failed to hit)

Unless otherwise stated, all rolls are on a scale from 001-100 where the roll must be equal to or lower than the accuracy in order to hit, the effect chance in order to have an effect, or the critical hit chance to crit.

On confusion/paralysis/attraction etc. rolls, anything equal to or lower than the failure chance is a failure; anything higher lets the Pokemon use its command.

Action One
Madeline used Swords Dance.
~ Madeline’s Attack was raised by +2.

Trigger tries to use Dig.
Trigger has a 40% chance of confusion failure. He succeeded with a roll of 57.

At the end of Action One, Trigger’s confusion softened from strong to moderate. His failure chance is now 30%.

Action Two
~ Madeline’s Attack was raised by +2.

Trigger tries to use Reflect.
Trigger has a 30% chance of confusion failure. He failed with a roll of 29.
~ Trigger hurt himself in his confusion!

At the end of Action Two, Trigger’s confusion did not soften because he was fully confused.

Action Three
Madeline used Dig.
~ Dig could not hit offensively because Trigger is underground in a separate tunnel.

Trigger tries to use Dig.
Trigger has a 30% chance of confusion failure. He succeeded with a roll of 76.
~ Madeline has Battle Armor, so Trigger cannot crit and does not need to roll for it.

At the end of Action Three, Trigger’s confusion softened from moderate to mild. His failure chance is now 20%.

Last Round

nidorino 95% health, 73% energy
skorupi 68% health, 92% energy

Action One
~ Swords Dance does not deal damage.
~ Base energy 2% = Madeline expends 2% energy.

Trigger used Dig.
~ Base energy 4% = Trigger expends 4% energy.

nidorino 95% health, 69% energy
skorupi 69% health, 91% energy

Action Two
~ Swords Dance does not deal damage.
~ Base energy 2% = Madeline expends 2% energy.

Trigger hit himself in his confusion.
~ Base power 4% + no STAB bonus because typeless + no stats have been boosted + 0 EXP bonus × 1 for the standard type modification = Trigger takes 4% damage.
~ Base energy 2% + no other modifiers = Trigger expends 2% energy.

nidorino 91% health, 67% energy
skorupi 70% health, 90% energy

Action Three
Madeline used Dig.
~ Dig was unable to attack offensively.

Trigger used Dig.
~ Base energy 4% = Trigger expends 4% energy.

nidorino 91% health, 63% energy
skorupi 63% health, 87% energy

Arena
Both battlers are back aboveground, but a pair of holes interrupt the otherwise pristine Astroturf at the endpoints of each of two separate shallow underground tunnels, one near the center of the arena and the other a few meters further away. The rest of the arena has seen no MASSIVE DESTRUCTION as yet. Madeline's discarded Lucky Egg sits, alone, off to the side.

Notes:
1. Speed order: Trigger (65) = Madeline (65). In speed ties, I have the Pokemon act in command order, so this round Madeline acted first and next round Trigger will have the speed advantage.
2. Per the response to my question in the Question Box, Trigger could not switch to using Defense Curl once he had already rolled a confusion failure when trying to use Reflect.
3. Since Trigger dug a separate tunnel instead of following Madeline into hers, and since Madeline isn’t Ground-type nor otherwise has any intrinsic connection with the earth, I ruled that Madeline couldn’t tell exactly where Trigger was and thus couldn’t target him with her Dig, so she completed her actions underground as ordered and then dug up.
4. I’m not 100% familiar with how others treat confusion failure and confusion softening, but it doesn’t make sense to me that Trigger could clear up his head by failing his confusion roll, and I vaguely remember other people reffing it the same way, so Trigger’s confusion did not soften on the second action. Luckily, if I'm wrong and this has to be corrected, it won't affect any health, energy, confusion rolls, or anything else that would require a significant edit.
5. I decided I don’t like coloring the Pokemon’s names to signify their gender. The (M) and (F) is enough.
Next round, pathos commands first, followed by TruetoCheese.

Back
Top Bottom