• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

If a Pokemon drops its item, is there an official ruling on whether the item remains on the field after its original holder is KO'd/returned to its Pokeball, or is it up to the ref's discretion? And if the item remains on the field, can Pokemon sent out later pick up/use the item?

Dropped items return to their Poké Balls with their holders.

Does Pressure multiply the base energy cost of moves targeting it, or the final cost?

Dropped items return to their Poké Balls with their holders.

Items that have been picked up remain held though, right?

What happens when a Pokémon that is already confused uses a move like Outrage that would inflict confusion on itself? Is that effect nullified, or does the confusion chance reset?

What happens when a Pokémon that is already confused uses a move like Outrage that would inflict confusion on itself? Is that effect nullified, or does the confusion chance reset?

I suppose it would worsen the confusion, similar to something like Signal Beam's effect chance proccing on an already-confused Pokémon.

Two-stage question:
  • If a Pokémon which has two abilities for whatever reason (ex. holding Magmarizer or Whipped Dream) uses Skill Swap, does she give her target both abilities, or just her natural ability?
  • If she does transfer both abilities, and the unnatural one is Traced (ie she is holding Link Cable), does she transfer the Traced ability, or Trace itself?

Two-stage question:
  • If a Pokémon which has two abilities for whatever reason (ex. holding Magmarizer or Whipped Dream) uses Skill Swap, does she give her target both abilities, or just her natural ability?
  • If she does transfer both abilities, and the unnatural one is Traced (ie she is holding Link Cable), does she transfer the Traced ability, or Trace itself?
If the additional ability is passively granted by a held item, it will necessarily remain with the Pokémon who's holding that item, barring Ability-nulifying effects such as that of Gastro Acid.

A Traced Ability normally acts as a regular Ability. The Link Cable's specific case is... a little more complicated, but for now at least, the short answer is "the ability granted by Link Cable Trace isn't Skill Swapped away, but can be nulified by removing the Link Cable". The long answer involves a series of considerations about what the Link Cable technically does or doesn't do, which I'll have to get back to later (if anyone's concerned, that is).

Rather than discuss conditionals within conditionals, I'd like some guidance on this matter.

Meursault's commands for the second action said "use Fire Spin if Marlboro isnt already over the water - or heat wave if he is, but be ready to use Protect instead of heat wave in case he uses hydro pump." And as such when her opponent was not over the water, she was able to Fire Spin because the Protect conditional was no longer an issue. There is some discussion on this within the battle thread itself, but another ref(preferably of a high rank)'s opinion would be appreciated.

Rather than discuss conditionals within conditionals, I'd like some guidance on this matter.

Meursault's commands for the second action said "use Fire Spin if Marlboro isnt already over the water - or heat wave if he is, but be ready to use Protect instead of heat wave in case he uses hydro pump." And as such when her opponent was not over the water, she was able to Fire Spin because the Protect conditional was no longer an issue. There is some discussion on this within the battle thread itself, but another ref(preferably of a high rank)'s opinion would be appreciated.
I'd have Endeavor land first. Once a Pokémon starts waiting on the opponent's move, it kind of has to wait on the opponent's move -- moves with positive priority come out fast enough to be used reactively in that situation, but for just about anything else, an Aerodactyl against a Shuckle wouldn't be able to initiate and land a move faster than the oponnent can land a move that it has already initiated.

I'd have Endeavor land first. Once a Pokémon starts waiting on the opponent's move, it kind of has to wait on the opponent's move -- moves with positive priority come out fast enough to be used reactively in that situation, but for just about anything else, an Aerodactyl against a Shuckle wouldn't be able to initiate and land a move faster than the oponnent can land a move that it has already initiated.

The issue is that Marlboro was never over the water in the first place, so the Heat Wave and Protect conditionals are both moot by my reckoning. She was told to Fire Spin specifically "if Marlboro isn't already over the water" ie. do it before he gets over the water and Hydro Pumps you. I claim that moving in for an Endeavor would similarly be prevented.

rah rah rules lawyering when i have a stab type advantage

The issue is that Marlboro was never over the water in the first place, so the Heat Wave and Protect conditionals are both moot by my reckoning. She was told to Fire Spin specifically "if Marlboro isn't already over the water" ie. do it before he gets over the water and Hydro Pumps you. I claim that moving in for an Endeavor would similarly be prevented.

rah rah rules lawyering when i have a stab type advantage
If the Cottonee was hovering over land at the beginning of the action, then Fire Spin would definitely be used first. I can't seem to get an entirely clear read on where the Cottonee is supposed to be at that point, hmm.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Marlboro was not above the water at that point. I was under the impression that whatever the conditional given, Ringi should have waited to be sure Marlboro wasn't going to try a Hydro Pump, and Fire Spin last, especially when Endeavor is basically pummel the opponent while Fire Spin is... more complicated? idk, I stand my ground but in the end it's up to TtC and it's hazy enough that I don't really mind his interpretation.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Marlboro was not above the water at that point. I was under the impression that whatever the conditional given, Ringi should have waited to be sure Marlboro wasn't going to try a Hydro Pump, and Fire Spin last, especially when Endeavor is basically pummel the opponent while Fire Spin is... more complicated? idk, I stand my ground but in the end it's up to TtC and it's hazy enough that I don't really mind his interpretation.
The conditional was pretty clear on only checking for Hydro Pump if the Cottonee was above water. Regardless of differing complexities, Fire Spin and Endeavor have the same move priority, so, barring interference from conditional priority (which doesn't apply if the Cottonee was hovering over land at the beginning of the action), these moves obey regular speed order.

Can moves that have a set chance of raising one of the users stats still raise those stats when the target is protecting?

Depends on the move and your ref. Most will let Charge Beam raise stats even if it misses for whatever reason, but if you ref sees Protect as a squishy little bubble, you probably wouldn't get a boost from Power-Up Punching it.

Could a Pokémon that's been hit by Smack Down fly for an extended amount of time (like two actions) the next round, or are they grounded?

Back
Top Bottom