• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

I just wanted to be absolutely clear on this:

Will damaging weather conditions (Sandstorm, Hail) remove Double Team clones from the field? What about if the Pokemon is a ghost-type that does not resist the weather?

On most ref's scales, yes, damaging weather will remove double team clones from the field unless the pokémon in question is immune to that weather condition (e.g. sandstorm will destroy a Normal Type's clones, but not a Rock-Type). But it varies, so just check with your ref first.

Also, I've often seen commands such as "spread out Flamethrower if there are clones". Are there some guidelines on which moves can and cannot be spread? Can beam attacks be used in the same way?

Mostly it's based on flavor, I think. Flamethrower is an attack that, by the nature of being a drawn-out stream of fire, can be waved around. Something like Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, or Fire Blast - instantaneous attacks that come out quickly and with a very limited range - couldn't be able to be used in that way, although a pokémon could theoretically be able to angle itself in a way to hit two clones instead of one with the attack.

I did find this earlier, but the example of Hail not removing a Froslass's clones didn't really answer my question, because a Froslass wouldn't be damaged by hail anyway.

Flavor-wise, wouldn't the other Pokémon be able to see the real target if it was taking damage from the Hail? And what's the justification for weather doing damage in the first place if it just passes through a Pokémon?

Will damaging weather conditions (Sandstorm, Hail) remove Double Team clones from the field? What about if the Pokemon is a ghost-type that does not resist the weather?
Generally, clones will vanish if anything visible goes through them. That includes Sandstorm's sand, Hail's hailstones, and even Rain Dance's waterdrops despite those not doing any damage.
(ETA: Or, well, they don't necessarily vanish, but the intemperisms going through the clones will indicate pretty clearly to any attackers which clone isn't in fact a clone, so it's essentially the same as not having clones unless you manage to keep them intact until the revealing hazard's gone.)

Also, I've often seen commands such as "spread out Flamethrower if there are clones". Are there some guidelines on which moves can and cannot be spread? Can beam attacks be used in the same way?
There are no hard and fast rules, but it should generally be clear enough to extrapolate from the flavor which moves can be spread out or not. In doubt, feel free to ask your ref. It should also be noted that, not necessarily but by most referees' interpretations, spreading a move out will also lower its final damage as it's spread thinner.

I did find this earlier, but the example of Hail not removing a Froslass's clones didn't really answer my question, because a Froslass wouldn't be damaged by hail anyway.

Flavor-wise, wouldn't the other Pokémon be able to see the real target if it was taking damage from the Hail? And what's the justification for weather doing damage in the first place if it just passes through a Pokémon?

The Glaceon example should have answered it. Ignore the Froslass example; we got rid of all the cool Ghost stuff, so the hail passing right through it presumably no longer applies.

Can an item stolen via Thief be immediately given to an ally in a double battle?
I can't remember if there's precedent to the contrary, but barring that, this should be possible as long as the ally is close by.

ETA:
Heal Bell and the like don't cure confusion/attraction, right?
I could swear this one's been done already... In-game it doesn't heal confusion/attraction, at least.

The Red Card's description says it bans a move "for the rest of the battle." Does this still apply in battle styles like Outside the Battle Arena, where the bout system is structured more like three small 1v1 battles than a traditional 3v3 battle? Would the Red Card still apply to the whole battle, or just for the rest of the bout?

EDIT: Also, while I'm here asking questions: I assume a Pokemon can use Fling to throw a plausible part of the arena, and that its damage would be determined by the ref, right? If so, can the Pokemon do this while it has a held item, or must it get rid of its held item first?

Last edited:
Imprison's summary and description say it lasts for three rounds. Is this supposed to mean nine actions, or does the effect persist for three rounds after it's used, no matter how long the individual rounds might be?

Imprison's summary and description say it lasts for three rounds. Is this supposed to mean nine actions, or does the effect persist for three rounds after it's used, no matter how long the individual rounds might be?
Nine actions.

can pokemon use weather-inducing moves while underground or do they like... require direct access to the sky...? based on the flavor I can see why Rain Dance wouldn't because of limited mobility, and Hail because of the "beam that shoots up into the sky", but overall I'm not sure.

iirc we decided that was fine back in like February or March and then never got around to actually editing that in.

will using Rain Dance impede bird pokémon's ability to fly significantly or just kinda be wet on their feathers

will using Rain Dance impede bird pokémon's ability to fly significantly or just kinda be wet on their feathers
It's up to the referee and will usually depend on the circumstances and on the specific Pokémon (eg, a Skamory would have less trouble flying through rain than most Flying-types). In general, rain should at least heavily burden most flight; as for the specific case, ask the ref.

Could a mareep get a sub to protect it from earthquake by getting the sub to toss it upwards or lie down under it or something?

Could a mareep get a sub to protect it from earthquake by getting the sub to toss it upwards or lie down under it or something?
Substitute should block any and all moves that aren't specifically designated to work through Substitute (ie, by a "sneaky" flag in the move's database page), even if it wouldn't make much sense.

Back
Top Bottom