• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Was there ever any official changes from the balance thread? I know there was a lot of talk about Protean and Contrary (and moody I think?) but I don't know if anything was ever actually decided upon

A handful of questions:

In the last round of this battle, a Pokemon was Encored into Flinging some icicles that were left around the arena. There are no icicles left. I'm pretty sure this means the Encore ends automatically, but I wanted to double-check. Is this the case? If not, then would the Pokemon Fling its held item? If the Pokemon's Trainer specifically commands an alternate thing to Fling to avoid Flinging the held item, would that work?

If Pay Day is used but doesn't hit, I assume it still boosts prize money?

Can a Pokemon wake up from sleep, then Mimic a move that was used while it was sleeping? (Logically I'm thinking no, but you never know, mechanics are weird sometimes)

I just wanted to ask a question with regard to this reffing.

Vine Whip's description says that it can be used to "strike the opponent with long vines or use them to grab the target and fling it around", and that it may also be used to "grab things from a distance or wrap an opponent up to immobilize them". Now, if it is used to immobilize an enemy, will it deal the same amount of damage as an attack that only strikes the target, or will it deal less damage?

If you are currently in a battle, and you buy an item and equip to a pokemon currently battling, can they use it?

If you are currently in a battle, and you buy an item and equip to a pokemon currently battling, can they use it?

No, the rosters in the first post of every battle don't change throughout the match, and even if you send out a new pokémon its status is determined by what it looked like when the battle began (if it evolved in the meantime, for example, it would still be battling in its base form, because that's where it was when the battle started).

Feel free to bring it up with the ref and your opponent, however - if they're okay with including it then the ref will, but that's not aterribly common occurrence.

Was there ever any official changes from the balance thread? I know there was a lot of talk about Protean and Contrary (and moody I think?) but I don't know if anything was ever actually decided upon
To my knowledge, not so far. I should definitely have a go at this soon, though.

A handful of questions:

In the last round of this battle, a Pokemon was Encored into Flinging some icicles that were left around the arena. There are no icicles left. I'm pretty sure this means the Encore ends automatically, but I wanted to double-check. Is this the case? If not, then would the Pokemon Fling its held item? If the Pokemon's Trainer specifically commands an alternate thing to Fling to avoid Flinging the held item, would that work?

If Pay Day is used but doesn't hit, I assume it still boosts prize money?

Can a Pokemon wake up from sleep, then Mimic a move that was used while it was sleeping? (Logically I'm thinking no, but you never know, mechanics are weird sometimes)
Fling should always fail if its designated throwthing is absent. This doesn't end the Encore; if the opponent directly destroyed the iciles, though, I'd consider that grounds to shorten the Encore in the same way that heavy direct damage often is. And yes, the trainer can designate an alternate throwthing while Fling is still Encored.

I don't think that's how it works in the games, but sure, why not.

Mimic being usable from memory is an ASB thing rather than a game mechanic, so I'm inclined to go with the logic and say no.

I just wanted to ask a question with regard to this reffing.

Vine Whip's description says that it can be used to "strike the opponent with long vines or use them to grab the target and fling it around", and that it may also be used to "grab things from a distance or wrap an opponent up to immobilize them". Now, if it is used to immobilize an enemy, will it deal the same amount of damage as an attack that only strikes the target, or will it deal less damage?
Vine Whip should only deal full damage if the target is struck or thrown. Other uses should deal less or even no damage.

If a Pokemon is put to sleep mid-Encore, Eifie tells me the Encore is paused until it wakes up again. Is this true? And if so, can the Pokemon follow conditionals like "if you're asleep, use Snore" or is it too busy paying attention to the Encore to listen to its conditionals?

If a Pokemon is put to sleep mid-Encore, Eifie tells me the Encore is paused until it wakes up again. Is this true? And if so, can the Pokemon follow conditionals like "if you're asleep, use Snore" or is it too busy paying attention to the Encore to listen to its conditionals?
It's true. And yes, it should be able to use Snore and whatnot as long as it's asleep -- Encore simply won't be in effect until it's awake again.

Can a Pokemon use up its consumable held item even if doing so would have no effect? (e.g. Mental Herb while not affected by mental moves, Red Card if the holder has not yet been hit by a move, etc.) If so, does it take a full action?

I know this is mostly functionally identical to just tossing the item away like we typically do at TCoD ASB, but this particular question is not only relevant to the flavor of a battle I'm reffing but also I suppose it could turn out to be a viable (albeit situational) strategy to prevent the foe from picking up the item you've thrown away/consumed.

Can a Pokemon use up its consumable held item even if doing so would have no effect? (e.g. Mental Herb while not affected by mental moves, Red Card if the holder has not yet been hit by a move, etc.) If so, does it take a full action?
Yes and yes.

Is it possible for Double Team clones to use attacks? If so, is there a limit as to how many can perform an attack at once?

Is it possible for Double Team clones to use attacks? If so, is there a limit as to how many can perform an attack at once?
Double Team clones do everything their creator does, including attack. However, their attacks are also illusions, meaning they won't actually harm or even touch the targeted Pokémon.

(That said, there's an alternate use of Double Team, mentioned in the extended description, that involves surrounding an enemy with Double Team clones and attacking, which ensures that the attack will hit, since the target can't tell where it's coming from. Doing this also causes all the Double Team clones to vanish, though.)

To what extent is a Pokémon capable of randomizing its actions?

For example, if a Pokémon is given three conditionals and instructed to choose one at random, will it succeed?

If a Pokémon is instructed to use a certain move on any one of its three actions, will it succeed?

To what extent is a Pokémon capable of randomizing its actions?

For example, if a Pokémon is given three conditionals and instructed to choose one at random, will it succeed?

If a Pokémon is instructed to use a certain move on any one of its three actions, will it succeed?
For gameplay's sake, I'd have to go with not at all.

Yeah, I have a couple of ideas that revolve around randomized moves so I'd be a bit sad if the older ruling got overturned! It hardly seems like it'd be overpowered.

Back
Top Bottom