Thread: DeviantArt?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 03:52 AM
beep beep coming through

Pronoun: Any
Kratos Aurion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DeviantArt?

Speaking as someone who has had art stolen on a few occasions (and each time it was pretty hilarious for one reason or another, but I digress), it does happen, yes, although in my personal experience the staff were good about getting the stolen work taken down. I've also heard stories about situations where they basically jerked the original artist around instead of actually dealing with the theft, though, so your results may vary! I never bothered with the watermarks myself, but if it worries you, and especially if you're worried about your original things, then either using their watermark feature or just adding your own watermarks in Photoshop/GIMP/blah will definitely help.

Something else you may want to note is that it's not a super-great, or at least not super-consistent, place to get concrit if you want it. It can be good for exposure and sometimes even friends if you submit to the right groups (definitely join some groups! Members have created groups for everything under the sun, and I'm sure that good groups exist for Shrinky Dinks and your other hobbies!), but concrit... eh. If you are after getting some actual advice, you may have to do some digging for groups that encourage it or make a show of it. If you don't care about that, though, then there are plenty of people who'll just drop by to compliment or favorite your art. :)

I should also point that I haven't really been active there for a few years now, though less out of any dissatisfaction with it and more just because I sort of drifted off. I might start uploading some stuff there again soon, idk. They have (had?) a pretty big fakemon community, which is my kind of thing, and I'm curious about the state of it.

Oh, and grab an AdBlock browser extension, if you don't have one already. They might've tightened it up a bit recently, especially after the redesign, but in the past dA was pretty notorious for ads that dumped all sorts of crap on your computer. Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry!

(and yes, the new logo is awful.)

Last edited by Kratos Aurion; 01-13-2015 at 07:06 PM.