Thread: In Progress Some Kind of Duality
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 01:13 AM
Captain Husbando

Pronoun: they
Flora is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some Kind of Duality

Part 2: in which we have already exceeded the word count of the novel I'm supposed to be writing, and also more Ruby, who I love.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Your eyes are fascinating,” the elf muses. Wynn, in turn, blushes; it’s hard to see underneath the beard, but the rest of her face is red too.

“What do you mean?” Wynn asks. (She knows full well what she means.) “They’re just hazel…”

“Sometimes they’re gold!” Ruby grins.

“Trick of the light?”

Ruby shakes her head. “They change from hazel to gold in the blink of…well, an eye, and back just as fast!”

Wynn freezes. She plasters a smile on her face—she’s had months of practice—and fiddles with her beard braid. “Well, that’s—"

She hears the Goddess Voice in her head. GIRL, SHE KNOWS SOMETHING’S UP, JUST TELL HER.

“I’m not going to tell her, Golden Bitch,” she mutters.

HOW DARE YOU CALL ME—

“Golden Bitch?”

Fuck.

“Uh, hehe, it’s nothing-“

She feels herself being punted out of control, gold creeping along the edges of her vision. She hears her not-voice speak (she is still not used to that, Gods): “Well, if she won’t tell you, I will. I am Khyta, goddess of light.”

Ruby raises an (immaculate) eyebrow. She asks, quietly, “Isn’t your goddess Lhira? You know, goddess of joy and happiness?”

Khyta sighs dramatically. “Yes, the girl’s primary deity of choice is Lhira. She just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Stumbled upon my temple, put on the amulet, blah blah blah. So now I’m using her body.”

Ruby’s eyes widen. “Seriously? You’re a goddess! Why can’t you just, you know, goddess-magic up a body or something?”

Another long, dramatic sigh. (Khyta should really add Drama to Her list of deific domains.) “Normally, yes, but I did not properly Ascend. So now I have to rely on the girl to do it.”

“Oh.” Ruby seems perplexed, and a bit upset? Oh great, she was gonna hate Wynn, and maybe tell everyone else and they’d ALL hate her, and then she’d have to leave and go back to doing this on her own—

“Well, I’ll accompany you then.”

Wynn’s thought process stops in its tracks. Khyta simply chuckles. “Well, you managed to stop her from panicking. Why, though?”

Ruby’s eyes gleam with a passion that Wynn honestly hasn’t seen before (Ruby is fairly laidback, she’s noticed). “I just don’t think it’s fair to piggyback off an unsuspecting mortal,” she muses. “So the quicker you Ascend, the faster she can have a normal life. You agree?”

Khyta chuckles again—Wynn doesn’t want to think about what that means—and finally relinquishes control. Wynn nearly collapses, losing her balance for a moment as Ruby rushes to catch her.

“Wynnie! Oh gods, are you okay?” The elf looks horrified. Wynn stands upright again and nods.

She sits down on the edge of her bedroll. “It’s kind of exhausting, to be honest. Having to watch yourself do and say things against your will? Not to mention the ENDLESS MENTAL ARGUMENTS.”

She hears the Goddess Voice again. WE WOULDN’T HAVE THIS PROBLEM IF YOU WOULD JUST—

“Khyta, for once, please just shut up.”

Ruby sits down next to her on the bedroll. “What does helping Khyta Ascend entail?”

Wynn shrugs. “As far as I know, finding Her temples and getting power. I don’t know. She isn’t very forthcoming.”

Ruby frowns. “Well, I guess we’ll figure it out together then, right?”

Wynn genuinely smiles for the first time in a while. “I suppose so.”

Last edited by Flora; 12-06-2017 at 01:21 AM. Reason: IT'S A Y, IT'S YOUR OWN CHARACTER'S NAME RACHEL