• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Website Pet Hates

Not trying to sound like an asshole here, but it really can't be that much of a hassle to gracefully degrade to support older browsers that (sadly) most people still use.

But we're not talking about older browsers. We're talking about Microsoft's newest browser, which still absolutely fails at complying to web standards. And we're not talking about state-of-the-art features; we're talking about CSS2, which has been around for years. And yeah, actually, making things look halfway decent in IE - remember, we've already discarded a bunch of cool things because it is downright impossible to make them work in IE - is very time consuming.

Plus, my comment was aimed at the person asking why people should use a browser to aid web developers. "Because it's nice to web developers" aside, it also makes the user's life easier with a bunch of features IE doesn't have.

The whole idea of HTML was that it would work the same anywhere.

Also, a quote from Vee:
Vee said:
You may also be interested in this list of IE bugs. Some have been fixed, some have not, and the PIE guy is lazy and hasn't marked which are which, but regardless, keep in mind how long it took for these things to be fixed. CSS 2 has been around since 1998.

No. The least they can do is upgrade to fix those CSS bugs and hacks we all have to sort through (and STILL have to sort through, if you were in my place) just to give them a safe browsing experience.

I try my best to crush my brain trying to think up something worth saying, though I sometimes just prefer to leave the page empty and just leave it as a portal page instead with the box art/logos. But if that's how you feel about that matter, OK. I can agree even if I am somewhat a culprit. ;~;
Wasn't directed at you, and in any case I don't really care if the page is just a placeholder portal to your real game content (not that you ordinarily ought to use portal pages). I was more thinking of the sites whose content about the games honestly consists of just that.

3-Column Layouts. I can't stand this type of structure. Its as if they can't find any better way to set-up their navigation. Oh my god, I swear that a certain Pokésite says that his users can get to pages in two clicks. No lie, srsly.
...huh? Three-column layouts are pretty tried and true, you know; "can't find any better way to set up their navigation" implies that there are myriads of obvious "better ways", but if there are, they sure are being kept secret from the Internet. The only other general-purpose navigation schemes I know, pretty much, are these:

- Two-column layouts: I really don't see how they are inherently superior to three-column layouts in any sensible way.
- Top navigation: only works when the site has only a few pages, since otherwise they either won't fit (if the navigation is all on one row) or it will clutter things up.
- Drop-down navigation: not everybody's cup of tea, makes it harder to find what you're looking for since you don't see it as a glance, and is more of a browser compatibility headache.
- Portal navigation: unless your site has a very straightforward structure, makes it very hard to find what you're looking for since you'll have to load multiple different pages just to find out what sections the site has, requires the user to click unnecessary links, et cetera.

Three-column layouts may be awfully typical, but you can't deny that they do their job well.

I'm really not sure what that last sentence is supposed to mean, and your reply to AK which I presume is meant to be some sort of sarcasm is even more bizarre.

I hate it when webmasters update their site about once a year, or just make updates once a month or so apologizing for not updating and emphasizing how busy they are over and over... :S

And when webmasters say, "Yes, I know this layout looks completely wrong in any browser but IE...but I don't care ^^"

And when sites have FAQs that hold no real answers.

Hmm..some other stuff:

1. Website Characters: As soon as Butterfree made the mascots page, a ton of other websites put up their own little "characters" that previously never existed, yet now apparently play a big part in the site.

2. Hiatus: There was a thread about this on the old forum, which sadly got deleted. But, basically, a lot of webmasters are going on hiatus for no real reason these days. They'll go on hiatus then come back with *gasp* a new layout and about 5 pages of content. And by that time I'll have forgotten about their site.

3. Unnecessary splash pages: Seriously, what are the point of these things? At least on TCoD you never see the splash page again, but on most websites you have to go through it every single time.

When I go to a site, have my HTML Validator plugin say 255 Errors/127 Warnings or such.
And much of the time, they have static pages.

Yeah, it's almost kinda funny when you go to a website that says Valid HTML/CSS at the bottom and it has a 100 errors when you click on the validatorXD

Wasn't directed at you, and in any case I don't really care if the page is just a placeholder portal to your real game content (not that you ordinarily ought to use portal pages). I was more thinking of the sites whose content about the games honestly consists of just that.

Yeah, I know. Just saying~

Three-column layouts may be awfully typical, but you can't deny that they do their job well.

Alright, I have to be completely honest. I do not mind 3-column layouts, though what generally makes me want to just rage about them is organizing them the same way as the rest. It is completely true that they do their job well, but I prefer the drop-down navigation system for a very odd reason.

ActiveX. You want me to use Microsoft's craptacular browser to view your crappy site, and then leave myself open to attack? If I see ActiveX controls, I leave and never return.

• those stupid advertisements that scream "HELOOO?" when you hover over them accidentally
  • sites with fake (usually bad) eeveelutions that are named things like 'ghosteon' or 'iceon'.
  • anything that spoofs or references Invader Zim. It's just not funny. :/
  • crappy webcomics that aren't funny. see above.
  • again, things that follow cursors everywhere.
  • a layout that says 'made by x from x.com!'
  • terrible colours.
  • websites that pretend to be semi-japanese when they aren't.
  • awful fanfiction, usually about sonic. aarrrgghh... >.<
  • pages that copy butterfree's 'marquee of doom' and 'click here art theives'. Honestly, it's become a staple in pokemon fansites now.
  • awards. Just no. No-one cares if you got a 'gold award from fluffy's website for being totally kawaii!'.

Anything that makes your site reminiscent of a Myspace page is bad. I realize that's a really broad category.

Everything mentioned above, pretty much.

This is a more minor thing and would probably fall under the heading of "spelling/grammatical errors" anyway, but it drives me absolutely crazy when people list "You must have good spelling and grammer!" as one of their affy requirements. Moron. If you can't spell "grammar" properly--in your own affiliate requirements, even!--then why the hell do I have to be able to spell?

To be fair, the a in grammar is kind of arbitrary, and by "good spelling and grammar" they probably mean no "hey guys welcum 2 my pokmn seite" kind of stuff, not "no typos whatsoever". But yeah, saying "good spelling and grammer", it is a bit hypocritical.

Also webmasters: You're kind of going to have to just reluctantly support IE, as it is without a doubt dominating the browser market (although I might be wrong, because Firefox seems to be rapidly gaining popularity).

Web viewers: Firefox is awesome. Switch if you haven't already.

Firefox has about 20% global market share, so we're a long way yet.

I use a mutant freak browser called iRider (and sometimes Firefox, depends on my mood), so you can just ignore me.

Firefox has about 20% global market share, so we're a long way yet.

I use a mutant freak browser called iRider (and sometimes Firefox, depends on my mood), so you can just ignore me.
You know iRider is just a shell/skin on top of IE, right?

Also, on the browser thing, I get tired of some people who use Firefox and think that anyone who uses IE is an idiot. People who aren't webmasters(which is most of the internet user base)couldn't care less about IE's bugs and glitches. Why should they use a different browser to make your life easier?

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesYES.
I use firefox, because IMO it looks better and has cooler add-ons, but people who are all "omg get firefox IE sucks" irritate the crap out of me
And I do not like seeing get firefox buttons all over websites

And uh... popups and seizure ads and suff but don't we all hate them?

My site is probably extremely irritating but nobody really goes to it anymore because I have bigger fish to fry :B i.e my lame webcomic

What I will never understand is 'Why Firefox'? I can understand 'use any browser other than IE', but never 'get firefox'. Why not Opera? I prefer Opera to Firefox and Netscape and all those other things, and I'm pretty sure it's also standards compliant for the most part, so what about Firefox is so magical and awesome that it must be mentioned above other sites?

Websits with no content that I find interesting are boring. Sometimes I like to read about unused materials and theories and stuff like that, but most Pokemon websites are Serebii clones with a different skin. Also, stuff like Starmen.net where you have a link to a page and then it says 'Sorry you can't access this page :D' or you have a portal that says 'we haven't made this page yet'. Why do people make pages if they can't be bothered to put even an incomplete version on it? argh

Websites with boring layouts are, as you may have guessed, rather boring. However, I can understand why someone would have a layout that isn't full of cool images and drop-downs, so this typically isn't a big problem.

This entire topic reminds me how terrible my Pokésite is.

What I will never understand is 'Why Firefox'? I can understand 'use any browser other than IE', but never 'get firefox'. Why not Opera? I prefer Opera to Firefox and Netscape and all those other things, and I'm pretty sure it's also standards compliant for the most part, so what about Firefox is so magical and awesome that it must be mentioned above other sites?

Opera > Firefox right now. I suppose for any of you people that are just deluded with Firefox fanboyism, read this first.

People who say "Get Firefox and nothing else" are stupid. However, I've yet to come across someone like that.

People who say "Internet Explorer is ridiculously crippled; you're best off getting an alternative like Firefox" are the wise ones.

I know it's from way back, but...

like substituting the proper alphabet letters like 'd' and 's' for the Greek Delta and Sigma.

What's wrong with Greek?

Okay, I admit it would be a bit annoying to see Greek characters being used in a clump of otherwise Latin alphabet-using text.

Aaaanyway.

I'd say most ads, this that follow the mouse, 'transparentised' images that just end abruptly halfway through an object (like the banner Serebii had before the current one) and webmasters/admins who have no idea how to use proper spelling/grammar/syntax and so on. I hate seeing things like 'hi welcome too my site i hope you like pokemons becuase we tlk about them heer, their relly cool'.

Back
Top Bottom