• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Recommended anime?

Storm Earth and Fire

Would you like to make a contract?
I don't have too much to watch at the moment, and all of it I am waiting on new releases. So, people of tCoD, can you think of anything I should watch? Criterion:

Pluses:
+ Serious: Something serious to see would be lovely.
+ Comedy: On the other end, if you think something is extremely funny, do say so.
+ Plot-driven: Something plot-driven, self-explainitory, I suppose.
+ Seinen: If it's aimed at an older audience, I'm all over it.
+ Cute: This helps some.
+ Shoujo-ai: Yes.
+ Aya Hirano: If there's a character voiced by her, do tell.
+ Rie Kugimiya: Same deal with Aya Hirano.

Minuses:
- Excessive fanservice: Fanservice animes are not my idea of fun right about now.
- Girly: I'll have none of that.
- Shounen-ai: No. Just no, please.
- Shounen action animes: These are too damn easy to find, they're everywhere.
- Licenced: There are enough animes I want to buy.

I think that gets it down. Of course, it's late, so it's possible I'll make changes. So, anime fans, help me please.

Last edited:
I have no idea what actually fits what you're looking for but what do you define as girly?

Also go watch Slayers. >:| they are making a fourth season

Firstly, I'm not sure if all of these exist. I read manga, so I'm not sure exactly how many of these have been turned into anime. If they don't exist, sorry.

Amazingly Amazing:

Death Note
Dragonball

Amazing Almost Amazing:

One Piece
Hikaru No Go
Yuyu Hakusho
Sand Land
Dr Slump
Pokemon

Amazing Good But Not Amazingly Almost Awesome Or Almost Amazingly Amazing:
Naruto (yeah, sorry Naruto fanboys, but Naruto is overrated to death. It's a good manga, but it's just not worth praising or anything like that)
Chronicles Of The Cursed Sword
Whistle
Shaman King
Zombie Powder
D Gray Man
Yugioh (no, not that lame card game show, the original amazing Yugioh)
Cowa!
Gintama
Claymore
The Dreaming

Meh:

Black Cat
Bleach
Eyeshield 21
Slam Dunk
PhP
Legendz

Stay Away From:

Bobobobobobobo

Yeah, Slayers is good. I've only seen a few episodes, but it's worth trying.

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is good too. It's Seinen, pretty serious, and definitely has a plot.?

Question. What exactly is Lucky Star about? It's been mentioned a lot, so is it really that good and worth trying?

Have already seen Higurashi and Lucky Star. And the first Japan-only season of Yu-Gi-Oh!, it's rather cool. I've also already seen FLCL. On top of all that, I already know about and seen some of Slayers.

Basically no shoujos.

Oh. XD I'm no use. I pretty much only watch shoujo.

I've heard some good seinen are Elfen Lied, xxxHolic and Spice and Wolf, although they all look too cutesy to be serious and plot-driven.

Elfen Lied is far from cutesy and it is plot-driven. :P

Not saying I don't enjoy shoujos at all, but I don't particularly want to watch one now and it's harder for me to get into them anyway.

Last edited:
I would suggest Keroro Gunso to you for comedy. But that's just me. I love it hard and must suggest it to everyone I possibly can. :B

It has alot of fan service though (... uh) and I guess because of Tamama there is shounen-ai. It's really nothing at all though. :P But then again, shoujo-ai too because of Koyuki and Natsumi. |D;

Read about it on wiki or something lol. Last time I checked, almost every single subbed episode is up on Veoh.com

... if you're not keen on that suggestion, then the only other animes I can suggest to you are Shaman King and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I have also heard Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is good but I've never watched it so I have absolutely no idea if it falls into any of the pluses or minuses. >w>
Death Note is okay too, I guess. But everyone and their mum has already watched that. >:T

Gah, I'd like to suggest more but I get halfway through a series and give up. :I Lame.

Elfin Leid can be cute, but it can also be very, very not cute. This AMV sums it up rather well.

I feel it's my duty to recommend Azumanga. It's character- not plot-driven, but it as cute and funny as hell. Hinted shoujo-ai, no excessive fanservice and even though it looks girly, it's aimed at high-school males (according to Wikipedia).

FLCL/Fooly Cooly/wahtever is several shades of awesome. I adore the music <3

If you like things muder mystery-ish, then Detective Conan is an absolute must. It's amazing.

Ooh, and Neon Genesis Evangelion is required watching if you're into serious animes. It's very serious, aimed at older audiences, very action-y but the characters are still developed well (though not always likable). I love it.

Ooh, and Neon Genesis Evangelion is required watching if you're into serious animes. It's very serious, aimed at older audiences, very action-y but the characters are still developed well (though not always likable). I love it.
They all turn into Tang.

Only in one of the endings. Granted there are about ten different endings and 99% of humanity ends up dying in all of them, but still.

I've seen Azumanga and used to be quite the Evangelion fan. And Detective Conan. This might be why I specified unlicenced anime. :P I suppose you could say, though, that I tend to shy away from extremely popular animes nowadays.

I've actually found stuff to watch, so no more immediate need. But keep the discussion rolling, please, i.e., anybody can ask for advice now.

I torrent all the anime I watch on my computer. ^_^

Last edited:
Elfen Lied is far from cutesy and it is plot-driven. :P

Not saying I don't enjoy shoujos at all, but I don't particularly want to watch one now and it's harder for me to get into them anyway.

Yeah... well... look at the cover of the manga! xP At least on Wikipedia anyway. It's a pink-haired girl with cat ears/horns

Elfin Leid can be cute, but it can also be very, very not cute. This AMV sums it up rather well.

I feel it's my duty to recommend Azumanga. It's character- not plot-driven, but it as cute and funny as hell. Hinted shoujo-ai, no excessive fanservice and even though it looks girly, it's aimed at high-school males (according to Wikipedia).

FLCL/Fooly Cooly/wahtever is several shades of awesome. I adore the music <3

If you like things muder mystery-ish, then Detective Conan is an absolute must. It's amazing.

Yeah, I was quite surprised when I read on Wikipedia Azumanga's a seinen. I guess I can... kind of see it, but there's loads of fanservicey highschool crap out there, I just never saw Azumanga that way. XD Definitely not the anime, anyway, I've only read a bit of the manga.

Yeah, I was quite surprised when I read on Wikipedia Azumanga's a seinen. I guess I can... kind of see it, but there's loads of fanservicey highschool crap out there, I just never saw Azumanga that way. XD Definitely not the anime, anyway, I've only read a bit of the manga.

I agree; there're a couple of panels with Sakaki in a bikini, but that's really about it (unless you have a fetish for 10-year-olds in giant penguin suits or something), and it's a little unfair to put it in with stuff like Battle Vixens >.>

There's not an anime, but if you liked Azumanga, odds are you'll like Yotsuba :D

And if you liked Evangelion, you'll probably like Gundam and the variations thereof (Seed/Wing/whatever), if you haven't seen it already. And Full Metal Panic, which I personally think is better.

Back
Top Bottom